Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 27, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #21,541 of 62,417
Hey man, yeah I’ve been swamped with work so haven’t had the time to churn out a full review, but had a little time today so here goes:

I know a bunch of people on here don’t love the sq of the xm3s, and after about a week and a half of listening I agree they are not perfect, but to my ears they’re probably my second favorite sounding TWS outside of the N6 Pros right now. I’ll get into it in some detail, for me the timbre is pretty great, much better than expected. The overall usability is also excellent, and for some reason they fit my ears real nicely, though I know this is not the case for everyone so your mileage may vary. Anyway here’s my breakdown.

Sound quality: Just as a disclaimer, all my sound impressions were done with ANC turned on because I find the sound better with it on than off. Overall I’d describe the sound quality of the xm3s as forward and crisp, but smooth. It’s got an excellent tonal balance and is very versatile. Plays well with pretty much everything I listened to. It’s not audiophile grade but it definitely has above average detail retrieval for a TWS. I’m very happy with them particularly since the features work so well, and it has one of the best EQs that I’ve come across, period.

Bass: The bass lacks a little detail but it’s pretty damn clean and has good extension and weight, without being overpowering. There’s no distortion, and bloat is very minimal. It’s actually got a great level of punchiness and richness, but it’s not as enveloping as the MTW2s or the L2Ps. It’s definitely fast though and and gives music a great energy. In many ways it’s similar to the bass on the original MW07s. Compared with the N6Ps the xm3s bass has more power and depth, but the N6P have much more detail and air. Overall the bass is really nice, unoffensive, and clean.

Mids: The mids are nice and smooth, a little forward, and there’s some really nice instrument and vocal detail. The MTW2s have slightly more detailed vocals, but it’s pretty marginal, and the xm3s have better instrument representation and tonality for me. The timbre is pretty spot on, not as natural and realistic as the N6Ps but better than other mid forward TWS like the APPs or MTW2s. There’s also a nice sense of depth and detail, giving the presentation some fullness, however some of the more finite qualities of certain instruments, such as the attack of a violin string or the pressure build up in a trumpet blare, are a bit smoothed out, probably to orient to a more base-line consumer sound. In the end though, the mids are in many ways where these things shine, with excellent tonality and slightly forward presentation.

Highs: The highs are not perfect, but pretty solid. The mid highs are excellent. Some of my favorites on any TWS. They manage an almost perfect balance between being clean and crisp and up front, without ever becoming harsh. The very top end though is a little dropped off. It’s definitely there but you sometimes have to try to listen for it instead of it just effortlessly being presented to you. Cymbals are not quite where I want them to be, they’ve got good attack and decay, but still have a bit of mushiness sometimes. This is just a persistent problem on TWS in my opinion, but these are not nearly as offensive in this regard as the APPs. I still think the N6Ps are just way better than anything else out there for highs. While not quite as good as the N6Ps, the highs on the Tevis are also a bit cleaner and realistic than the xm3s, but the xm3s are more full, rich and warm sounding overall.

Soundstage and Imaging: When comparing the xm3s to the N6Ps, the N6Ps have a wider soundstage and are the clear winners for imaging - but really the N6Ps have better imaging than some wired iems that I’ve heard. The Tevis and L2Ps are also slightly wider. That being said, the stage on the xm3s is not terrible. It’s got a good width to it, but since the mid-bass, mids, and mid highs are a bit forward sometimes the music can feel a bit closed in on certain busy tracks. I do sometimes notice certain things out in the distance though and the instrument separation is good enough that it never really feels congested. Instrument separation was better on the MTW2s overall, but the actual stage of the MTW2s was much more in my head than on the xm3s.
The imaging on the xm3s is pretty good, and does provide distinct spaces for instruments, but it’s not as logical as the N6Ps. The imaging is better on the xm3s than the L2Ps though, which can get a bit disjointed. All in all I’d say the xm3s have enough technical ability in this department to prevent the sound from being clustered or sounding disorganized. I’d say average soundstage and above average imaging.

All in all, the xm3s are a bit of a jack of all trades master of none for sound quality. But they do everything pretty well, and that’s actually kind of impressive in its own right. They work well for pretty much every genre of music and are ridiculously well balanced. I’d say the stand out feature is the timbre, it’s just a nice tonality that gives a good vibrancy to the music without being artificial. The mid highs are also fantastic, it’s hard to strike that balance between clarity and harshness and the xm3s do just that. I’m generally just impressed with how these sound. They’re not up to par with the N6Ps, but not much in the TWS space is at the moment in my opinion and these have some great extra features that are missing on the N6Ps, which I will discuss more below.

Look/Fit: This is a subjective category. I think they’re a bit bulky but look pretty decent and don’t stick out much which is nice. The fit is definitely an issue for some but not for me for the most part. They definitely sometimes need some readjustment after an hour of listening or so, but I find them pretty comfortable. Not ideal for working out as they bobble around a bit in the ear.

Extra Features: These are loaded with features and they all work great. The ANC is the best that I’ve tried so far. They do an excellent job cancelling out low rumbles and even do a good job on some higher frequencies. The one issue is that you need a good seal otherwise the ANC does not work as well. These also have a mode where you can use some of the internal ANC mics while also cancelling out wind noise and it works like a charm. The ANC is not quite as effective in this mode but there’s no wind noise which has been a real issue when using other ANC buds. Ambient mode is also great and you can customize how much to let in in the app. It works very well though there is a slight amplification effect. The app is a little glitchy sometimes but overall works well and the EQ is just fantastic. You can completely change how these things sound in the EQ settings but they never change to the point of sounding crappy. A good example is that even if you raise the bass level super high it never becomes distorted. Also can improve clarity in the highs with EQ without changing overall tonality. The only annoyance is that you can’t have volume controls on the buds while also controlling ANC and playback from the buds. You have to swap one of those sets of controls out if you want volume controls. I hope they can somehow fix this at some point but I doubt it. Another thing is the lack of water resistance, but I usually don’t expose my TWS to water. Overall though, one of the best feature sets I’ve seen on a TWS.

Battery: Battery is decent and lasts about 6 hours with ANC on, which is much better than the 4.5 hours I got with the MTW2s. With it off I got around 7.5 hours, but I like the sound better when it’s on. The only thing is if you want to use the DSEE HX function (have to use it without EQ), then the battery drains significantly and only lasts around 3.5 hours. I do think this function improves the highs and stage slightly but I’ve often turned it off bc of battery drain.

Case: The case is nice and premium though on the large side. Small thing but I love the hinge, it’s as close to the APPs case hinge as I’ve tried in terms of usability. Also the magnets are excellent and the buds are really easy to take in and out of the case.

Microphone/calls: Call quality has been surprisingly solid for me, particularly indoors where people can’t even tell I’m wearing a headset. I also took a call on a walk yesterday and it was super windy and the person on the other side could still hear me clearly without having to yell, though could also hear the wind in the background. Overall pretty usable to be honest, but haven’t had much of a chance to test this out too much given that nyc is on lockdown.

Connectivity: Connectivity has been fantastic with my phone, though not as great with my windows computer. They have gotten better over time with the computer though for some reason, but still stutters sometimes.

Conclusion: Overall, the xm3s are some of my favorite TWS that Ive used so far. The sound is really nice and balanced, and it’s probably the most versatile set of TWS I own. Plays every genre I throw at it at least reasonably well. Also the ANC is really great. Once you get a good seal, they’re just better than any other ANC bud I’ve tried - including the APP, MW07+, MTW2s, and Ausounds Hybrid. Really great features and very good sound make this a top choice for me, though I know some on this thread are not as high on them as I am. Sound is definitely subjective and these are my opinions, absolutely not saying that anyone else is wrong, just going off what my ears are telling me.

————————————————————

In other news, while listening and doing comparisons for the xm3s, I concluded the N6Ps are still as close to a wired set of IEMs that I’ve heard to date. They just sound fantastic. I actually have the Thieaudio Legacy 3s coming tomorrow so I’m excited to see how the N6Ps stack up. Might do a quick comparison of the two.

Also, I’ve done a bunch of true wireless reviews at this point now so I might congregate them somewhere, like on a website, if people would be interested. Might also do a top ten list here soon.
( Glad you are enjoying them. i do like the eq in the sony app a lot actually. While i don't prefer them to other models, i'm likely to give the next gen version a shot, especially if they have ldac. I've recently become a fan of it with the Shure Aonic 50 over ears. You should give the reviews on your own website a shot. IMO it can be an evolving challenge to give an impression of a product and want to give as much details as possible and speak to the characteristics of a product and balance that out with your impressions/opinions, but that's part of the fun of doing any kind of review and partisipating on forums. FWIW, i think you do that pretty well.

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #21,542 of 62,417
I keep reading that these Tevis are great sounding with a wide sound stage, I think while I still have them I will try and mess with them some more.
Have you given the N6Pros a listen? I haven't heard the revision on the Tevis, but i felt the first gen wasn't worth the $90 i payed for them. i liked them a lot mor than the mpow t5, but didn't feel the quality was worth double the price. maybe $15 better. The N6Pro just might hit a sweet spot between the SQ of the XM3 and MTW for you.

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #21,543 of 62,417
Thanks for the MTW 1 vs 2 thoughts - I also like the MTW. For me sound quality is the #1 priority, with battery life #2, transparency #3, and ANC #4. So I've been pretty happy with the MTW, and just posted a review the other day Momentum True Wireless Review because I do think their sound + transparency mode and in-app EQ for $199 is pretty good.

But, I do wish they had better battery life - I have two pairs of MTW and keep one charged up all the time, so if the MTW charging case that I have in my pocket drains down to zero then I have one to fall back to. l have one MTW that automatically connects to my iPhone when I take them out of the case for a call. The spare set automatically connects to my MacBook when I put them in my ears, and I keep that pair plugged into my MacBook USB to stay charged up.

I was thinking about MTW2 for the extra battery life and ANC, but not at the expense of sound quality. Therefore, I am also considering the N6 Pro or Sony 1000XM3. So, I am interested to read all of the XM3 reviews now - I'm not sure their transparency mode and ANC are as important as the N6 Pro's improved sound, but I do like to be able to use my buds when I am outside walking the dog and need to hear ambient noise.
Since you mentioned SQ as you're top priority, i'd go with the N6Pros. Both they and the XM3 can be used individually, but since ANC and Transparency are down on you're list, another nice feature about the N6 Pro is that each iem has all the controls on it when used in mono. center button for play-pause, answering ending and rejecting calls plus assistent if that's something you ever use. holding volume up till it beeps rewinds, holding volume down goes to next track. you increase and decrease volume by just pressing the buttons till you have your volume level you want. also, battery life is better on n6pro as well.

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #21,544 of 62,417
Since you mentioned SQ as you're top priority, i'd go with the N6Pros. Both they and the XM3 can be used individually, but since ANC and Transparency are down on you're list, another nice feature about the N6 Pro is that each iem has all the controls on it when used in mono. center button for play-pause, answering ending and rejecting calls plus assistent if that's something you ever use. holding volume up till it beeps rewinds, holding volume down goes to next track. you increase and decrease volume by just pressing the buttons till you have your volume level you want. also, battery life is better on n6pro as well.

Thanks! The fully independent earbuds with full controls and long battery life definitely a plus.

1) Just how close is the sound quality of the N6Pro vs my MTW or the newer MTW2?

2) Do you think I would miss the transparency or ambient sound mode of my MTW, or is the N6Pro's sound so much better that it won't matter?

Maybe I could carry both, and use my current MTW when I need transparency and use the N6Pro at times when I don't? I'd use my APP for transparency mode but they don't stay in my ears with medium or large tips, and their tips are more itchy than the MTW. It would be nice to have one that does everything, but I could see myself maybe using the N6P when I don't want to be tied down by wires while watching a movie on my iPhone on the couch/bed, while I could still use the MTW when walking the dog and needing to hear cars approaching or honking.

When I'm not laying down, and can have a cable run between the two ear pieces, I often use my Westone W60 or W80 with the Westone BT V2 cable; but a cable is a cable, and when I'm laying on the couch or in bed sometimes with the wire running behind my neck it will tug on the earbuds and pull them out when I shift my head position. I don't like the wires in the front and resting on my throat.

PS: I won't sell the APP because the one time where they work well for me is when I'm just sitting and not moving around and just watching stuff on my laptop in the same room as my wife, where she sometimes wants to talk and the transparency mode is better than anything else I have tried, so I can hear her and pause to talk with her. No more having the wife wave her arms frantically or throwing stuff at me to get my attention.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #21,545 of 62,417
Talking about ambient/transparency mode, supposedly one is coming in the future for the L2P (with no real timeframe, however). Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later though.

Might just be the thing to keep my mind off the niggling fact that my OOS 10.3.2 OP6 simply isn't doing TWS+ with the Liberties, no matter how I pair them (or tweak the ROM)... when the Outlier Air is doing so rather effortlessly with the same phone.

Despite supposedly being built on the same Qual chipset.

I still reach for the L2P more nonetheless, but this little niggle is making me itch for the Nuarls (or the 1More ANC) more and more lately lol.

Getting ambi mode might just help lessen the itch... by a bit.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #21,546 of 62,417
( Glad you are enjoying them. i do like the eq in the sony app a lot actually. While i don't prefer them to other models, i'm likely to give the next gen version a shot, especially if they have ldac. I've recently become a fan of it with the Shure Aonic 50 over ears. You should give the reviews on your own website a shot. IMO it can be an evolving challenge to give an impression of a product and want to give as much details as possible and speak to the characteristics of a product and balance that out with your impressions/opinions, but that's part of the fun of doing any kind of review and partisipating on forums. FWIW, i think you do that pretty well.

Thank you for your feedback man. I definitely have enjoyed doing these mini reviews on here and I’m trying to improve a little with each one. The only impediment to continuing to write them is time and money at this point so we’ll see if I get organized enough to do something more with it. Appreciate you reading them and looking forward to seeing if anything coming out soon will surpass the N6Ps :)

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #21,547 of 62,417
Talking about ambient/transparency mode, supposedly one is coming in the future for the L2P (with no real timeframe, however). Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later though.

Getting ambi mode might just help lessen the itch... by a bit.

This would be great. Where did you hear that. I was debating returning my L2Ps even though I like them because I am really feeling like ambient mode passthrough is a must have feature for me.

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #21,548 of 62,417
I'm in the same boat. I've stopped looking for other TWSs'. I'm awaiting the new wave of buds which will come with the new line of QC chipsets with ANC, and see how the products improve from there onwards. Until then, I'm really satisfied with my GT1 Plus.
I am in the same boat, haven't picked up my other sets. They are great for podcasts too, perfect distance from the voices, feels as if you are sitting in a room having a conversation with them personally.

Earlier I used to switch to blons for music, but the convenience haylous offer & the noise free detailed balanced sound has grown on me and make them me think less about choosing a set. Its always haylou by default now.

For me a product achieving 'set it and forget it' is a true winner. Great ergonomic & auditory comfort paired with natural sound and convenience are what makes them perfect.

And even finding the satisfaction with not checking headfi obsessively daily was a sign too.

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #21,550 of 62,417
Ok... Airpods Pro owners, you have to hear this:

I bought my APPs 17th of Nov, delivered with 2B576. Almost instantly updated to 2B584, then 2B588 a little later.
In Desember I got the 2C54 update. Almost 4 months ago. This firmware got pulled just a couple of days after. Since that, no info or new update. :triportsad:

Early I noticed:
- Noticably less bass with ANC/Transparency mode turned OFF.
- "High frequency warble" with ANC ON
- Distortion (especially in the left bud) when talking on the phone with ANC/Transparency ON
- ANC noticably weaker
- Just yellow (Adjust or try a different ear tip) with the Ear tip fit test

I have talked to Apple a couple of times, and finally I was offered a replacement solution. Had to "pay" (reserved on my account) about $200, which I get back when they have received the old ones.

Received the replacements today, with firmware 2B588, and OMG!
Ear fit test is green, ANC is better, sound is better, more bass and even bass with ANC OFF is good, no distortion from my own voice with phone calls.

I still experience the "high freq. warble" with movements (either walking or chewing for ex), but I think that is because with the silicone tips are moving a little in my ears. And then the adaptive eq in the buds are making this warble?! Hopefully the Comply Foam tips will help for this, when they are released.

This is embarrasing for Apple! Almost 4 months since the 2C54 ruined my (and I guess a lot of others') APPs.

Any other in here with similar experiences?

I too am disappointed with the 2C54 update, especially with the sound being poor if you have ANC or Transparency off. Maybe I should bring them back when the stores open.

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #21,551 of 62,417
This would be great. Where did you hear that. I was debating returning my L2Ps even though I like them because I am really feeling like ambient mode passthrough is a must have feature for me.

Was discussed up in the Soundcore forums a while back. Apparently the team is "having trouble" making it work, but eyy, the L2P isn't half bad even without ambient mode so at the very least I'll be keeping it around in the daily driver rotation.

Though if it does end up working, it'll be a helluva value add.

Anyways, we've sure come a loooong way in such a short time. I still remember the Zolo Liberties coming out and thinking "meh, not there yet"... and that's only a bit more than 2 years ago.

Can't wait for the next gen stuff to hit, tho yeah... it being COVID season and all... stuff might take it's sweet time trickling in.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #21,552 of 62,417
20200427_143309.jpg

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #21,553 of 62,417
Got 2 japan specials, the new Technics EAH-AZ70w and Yamaha TW-E3A. Very surprised by the Yamaha, natural sound and warm, but not too warm. One earpiece has to be the master, it can be either, but you can't use the slave without the master. The Technics is neutral with a very deep soundstage. Sound is also clear yet smooth. App has a 5 band eq. One thing I like about both of these is you can use a lot of standard eartips with both of the cases. Don't need the super shallow ones.

Apr 27, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #21,555 of 62,417
Pixel Buds TWS are here!

Apparently Android Police gets... *gasp*... some hiss static with these lol.

Also battery life seems meh and apparently BT connection isn't all that stable (listen to MrM say it cuts out with phone in the back pocket). To be fair, while my L2P is rock solid (Anker/SC must have tuned them for connection stability or something), I do get "body-block" connection fade-outs with the Outliers (if I scrunch down or do anything that increases my body profile depth) so it's not entirely unexpected.

I'll also say no AptX (not Qualcomm based) but I've been less of a codec fanatic these days with the Fiil T1X being seemingly so good even without... so eyyy... no comment there.

But of course, it's not all bad. Voice calls supposedly sound stellar. Something that needs to be taken into consideration for the "next gen" TWS stuff TBH (current crop isn't really up to snuff to me except for maybe the Airpods Pro). Also, super deep Assistant intergration is pretty interesting.

I do love how compact the case is and how it still manages to cram Qi in anyways. That's a major win in my book as wireless charging suuuuuch a convenient thing to have in a TWS case.

All in all, a good first try in the TWS space really (not counting the 2017 ones coz those aren't TWS)... at least from a spec/features perspective.

I'll leave SQ impressions to people who can get their hands on them (not in the States unfortunately and Googs usually skips my locale for official Pixel stuff).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back