Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 26, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #19,261 of 62,660
I think I'm going to pick up an inexpensive pair. From the discussion, I've narrowed it to these three:
FIIL T1X
Spunky Beat
Bomaker

I generally listen to rock/jazz. Not interested in overpowering bass.
I'll be running them off my iPhone, so I can't use EQ easily.

Any opinions? For $50 at most, it isn't much of a risk.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #19,262 of 62,660
By chance I grabbed my Syllable S101 last night, had not touched them in probably over 6 weeks.
And very positively surprised that they still had ample charge, connected on the dot and still sound quite fabulous (IMHO).
That's one thing I really cherish in a TWS set: reliability.
No surprise battery drain over night, forgotten connection and the like.
That was a good purchase

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #19,263 of 62,660
I think I'm going to pick up an inexpensive pair. From the discussion, I've narrowed it to these three:
FIIL T1X
Spunky Beat
Bomaker

I have what you listed except bomaker.
Fiil T1X gets the most love here.
But I prefer Mpow M5 for strong mids and more powerful volume. Esp For Rock and Jazz, most of the instrument frequencies occupy the mids.
But I'm a minority vote :)
$75 will get the JBL Free x which I think is very good too.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #19,265 of 62,660
I have what you listed except bomaker.
Fiil T1X gets the most love here.
But I prefer Mpow M5 for strong mids and more powerful volume. Esp For Rock and Jazz, most of the instrument frequencies occupy the mids.
But I'm a minority vote :)
$75 will get the JBL Free x which I think is very good too.

I'm with you on this: I've not tried the SB but the T1X was just a teensy bright for my tastes, still tolerable but would be fatiguing over long sessions and especially with jazz. The Bomaker had a similar profile to the M5 but I think the M5 would be best for the two specific genres mentioned.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #19,266 of 62,660
FIIL T1X
Spunky Beat
Bomaker

I haven't heard the bomaker or t1x. The Spunky Beats had a fairly well balanced sound. It did have a lift in the lower end, as I pulled a couple db at 31 & 63hz on my eq. But it wasn't bad sounding. Much better than my qcy qs1 and as good as my x12's.

I primarily listen to bass heavy genres, so with rock/jazz I probably wouldn't have pulled any.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #19,267 of 62,660
Jan 26, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #19,268 of 62,660
Jan 27, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #19,269 of 62,660
I'm with you on this: I've not tried the SB but the T1X was just a teensy bright for my tastes, still tolerable but would be fatiguing over long sessions and especially with jazz. The Bomaker had a similar profile to the M5 but I think the M5 would be best for the two specific genres mentioned.
:) nice. I actually prefer spunky beat to T1X. But I think spunky upper mid a little shouty, if I turn vol up, it gets more shouty. Plus it's very small that I didn't get a good seal when I move my Jaws. I havnt played with EQ or tips. SSK is actually very good, but don't have the power of Mpow M5. When turn loud, the mpow m5 sound will not crackle.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #19,270 of 62,660
Well, as long as this is going to get more complicated, what about the newer Mpow models. M20?
Most of the Amazon reviews are about snorkeling goggles.
I can't recommend other mpow as I havnt tried them. But I have referenced some TWS against the $1000 Shure 846cl wired Quad driver. I was surprised the M5 has very close sound signature.
The use of reference is critical, otherwise we may digress.
But don't take my word for it. Get both the most loved T1X and Mpow M5 and decide for yourself . I'm sure you'd like one of them! :)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #19,271 of 62,660
FIIL T1X
Spunky Beat
Bomaker

Can't go wrong with T1X (have EQ from the app), especially if you can use amazon USA.

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #19,272 of 62,660
According to Misodiko you need a good solid retention lip. What they call keyway style nozzle.

So look at your TWS without a tip to determine if it'll work.

Just found them sold in pairs for cheap:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000482730406.html

Thanks for this. The Bomaker Sifi has the exact same configuration. I have ordered some silicone Mikodiso TWS Joy Tips to try first.

I used a pair of medium tips that came with Jade Audio EA3. They just fit in the case but I'm not sure they allow full contact with the charging points.

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #19,273 of 62,660
I can't recommend other mpow as I havnt tried them. But I have referenced some TWS against the $1000 Shure 846cl wired Quad driver. I was surprised the M5 has very close sound signature.
But don't take my word for it. Get both the most loved T1X and Mpow M5 and decide for yourself . I'm sure you'd like one of them! :)
I have the SSK and the QCY QS2. Absolutely love the sound of both, have been picking the SSK's more often for the punchy bass, though I like the imaging and soundstage wider and better on QCY. The description of meaty mids and punchy bass on the M5 are making me consider them. IF they have a wide soundstage(more like 3D holographic sound the my QCY has) i would jump on them right away.

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #19,274 of 62,660
I have the SSK and the QCY QS2. Absolutely love the sound of both, have been picking the SSK's more often for the punchy bass, though I like the imaging and soundstage wider and better on QCY. The description of meaty mids and punchy bass on the M5 are making me consider them. IF they have a wide soundstage(more like 3D holographic sound the my QCY has) i would jump on them right away.
The M5 bass is stronger but is of the smooth type. The SSK bass is of the impact type. The M5 lower mids is a little more pronounced. It will sound thicker than SSK.
When I compared the SSK agianst the reference wired quad driver Shure 846CL, right away no contest because it's simply not powerful enough, not rich enough. On its own it sounds good.
But mpow M5 was different, it stood toe to toe with the Shure 846cl. Same sound signature, same smooth bass. same thick mids, same power. Even the treble roll off is the same be it muddy or not.
If you want a Shure 846cl in TWS form. The Mpow M5 is the answer, save $850. Somehow, Nakamichi TW211 uses mpow M5 as a rebrand (see picture below). Sound is identical to M5.
But one man's meat is another man's poison.. I'm very afraid to disappoint you :). Some board members who have m5 are not as impressed. Maybe it's the music genre as well.

This is the reference Ive been using:
Shure SE846-CL Sound Isolating Earphones with Quad High Definition MicroDrivers and True Subwoofer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIUGW6A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zAOlEbV77QFQW

IMG_20200115_202957.jpg
IMG_20200114_192650.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #19,275 of 62,660

I am using my 1964 V8 and JVC FX1100 for reference mostly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back