Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 12, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #18,481 of 62,751
Damn you. Lol. i just picked up a pair. Now gonna have 4 cheap twes and 2 nicer ones. Returned the L2p. Well, now i've got my impulse purchase done for the day haha.
I barely resisted picking up a pair myself! Thought I'd let everyone know though since they get a lot of talk on here.

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #18,482 of 62,751
Purchased a pair of Mpow M5 for a friend but of course I just had to give them a good listen before giving them off :wink:

All impressions are with a MacBook Pro, AptX enabled, and an iPhone 6s (no AptX) both running Spotify Premium

The first thing I notice are how monstrous the bass one these are. I wouldn't say it's THE bassiest IEM I've listened to but I'd imagine most bassheads or even the casual pop listeners who notice bass firstly would be satisfied. The bass is a bit boomy but still well defined. I'd say the bass rarely gets muddy but it does give the lower midrange its full sound. Interesting enough, I don't find the lower midrange to be warm at all. I find it a bit dark and thick sounding. The upper midrange, although not emphasised, gets a bit thinner which I feel gives these IEMs its clarity. This thinner note carries on to the lower treble giving the M5 some sparkle. It's not the smoothest nor most refined upper midrange nor treble but it never gets harsh either. There is definitely roll-off past the lower treble.

Soundstage is wide but depth can be improved. Imaging and instrument separation is surprisingly good but I think that's due to the general wideness of the stage.

Compared to the Final Audio Design E3000 (for slightly more at $40) which are also considered warm and slightly bass heavy IEMs, the bass of the E3000 goes just as deep and keeps all the detail in the reverb but with notably less emphasis. The E3000 definitely has a slightly boosted bass. The E3000 also has a clearer lower midrange but features a midrange that is warmer than the M5's. In regards to the note thickness of the E3000, I find these very slightly thinner in the lower midrange but thicker than the M5 in the upper midrange. Basically the E3000 has a more consistent note thickness throughout the frequency range. The M5 actually has a brighter upper midrange which might give the feeling of additional clarity. The E3000 has smoother lower treble but I'd say roll-off in the highest frequencies are similar.

Soundstage is wider on the M5 but the E3000 has better depth and slightly better imaging. I'd say instrument separation is a toss up.

The Mpow M5 will not replace the best in-ears in the price range nor did I expect them to. I believe the fact that they could be compared at all is an achievement in the developments of technology and the company of course.

Overall, if the M5 came out, even wired, a few years back, they could easily be the beginner's IEM choice for an extremely fun, and relatively balanced (bass notwithstanding) sound. That the M5 are a pair TWS IEMs, where those same years back we only had the single-ear bluetooth call headsets, makes it an outstanding value today. My caveat being, of course, that I've yet to demo other TWS IEMs. It just so happens that wired in-ears in this price range have gotten a lot better as well.

These have definitely gotten me curious about picking up my own TWS IEM or maybe even my own Mpow M5 in the future.
Try out the Fiil t1x if you do get your own twe. imo that one, the Bomaker SiFi and the Tronsmart spunky beat are the top 3 to buy under $50

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #18,483 of 62,751
Jan 12, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #18,485 of 62,751
No this is at the system level. go to settings, tap 7 times on about phone, enter your pin if prompted, then check the box to enable developper options. Then go into dev options and check the box for disable absolute volume.

OMG this is works!!! thanks a bunch mate!! now i got this louder volume like 2 steps up from usual max volume! very helpful!!

*edit : turn off that disable absolute volume again, i think volume is still the same, i was just listening in my quiet room, tried to on and off but i guess its still the same, i was biased before. Anyway still appreciate your trick.

btw do you know how do we know if our phone and tws connected by aptx or aac, or any way we can choose them? I dont want to force in aptx in developer mode since some my bluetooth devices don't support APTX. thoughts?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #18,486 of 62,751
No problem at all. Do post about which ones you end up getting, and if you find another pair that fits this category well, definitely want to hear about them.
Tested the Bomaker yesterday for my spouse. I am impressed with the small size, quality, and fit for the price ($10 off on Amazon). They paired right up and are very light and comfortable on me. I thought that dollar for dollar they are quite good. I would call them %75 of the LP2, which is well within the musical range. But..having just tried my Powerbeats pro (which due to their size I never thought to have her try), she much prefers the form factor of the PBP. So, I am going to likely keep the Bomakers for me and my wife is happy with with PBP. Problem solved, plus I got a fine introduction to the Bomakers as a bonus.

Jan 12, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #18,487 of 62,751
I just had a question for all you guys doing some sweating with the X12.
I just started going back to the gym after a 2 year exercise-less life lead to some stress hives, and my X12s were upgraded to gym use.
Anyways, they come out kind of sweaty and I'd like to clean them. The idea of not cleaning them between visits is like the idea of not changing underwear between visits.

So, how do you guys clean your gym use true wireless earphones. Do you scrub them with a sponge with dish soap under running water? Do you just rinse them with water? Do you go with alcohol wipes?

I don't know about the ipx rating of the X12, so i would hesitate to rinse it under running water..alcohol wipes might be safer

Jan 12, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #18,488 of 62,751
Tested the Bomaker yesterday for my spouse. I am impressed with the small size, quality, and fit for the price ($10 off on Amazon). They paired right up and are very light and comfortable on me. I thought that dollar for dollar they are quite good. I would call them %75 of the LP2, which is well within the musical range. But..having just tried my Powerbeats pro (which due to their size I never thought to have her try), she much prefers the form factor of the PBP. So, I am going to likely keep the Bomakers for me and my wife is happy with with PBP. Problem solved, plus I got a fine introduction to the Bomakers as a bonus.

I've read that the PBP are actually pretty decent sounding or at least better than the AirPods Pro which are okay sounding! How do you find their sound compared to the Bomakers?

Jan 12, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #18,489 of 62,751
Try out the Fiil t1x if you do get your own twe. imo that one, the Bomaker SiFi and the Tronsmart spunky beat are the top 3 to buy under $50
Think I'm a minority. I have SSK and spunky beat. They sound clearer but also thinner to me. At higher volumes they lack power and shrill somewhat. But i understand majority of folks like them. With standard ear tips Mpow M5 appeals more to my ears. Even my brothers think my favourite speakers sound muffled. Meanwhile, T1X is on the way....:)

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #18,490 of 62,751
So far the N6 Pro is quite nice. While I don't think they are necessarily game changing, I do think they are moving the needle in the right direction for those who value SQ above all else. They are extremely balanced and neutral to my ears. If I didn't know these were single DD IEMS, I would think they could pass for a hybrid. The highs are extremely crisp and detailed. Detail and separation are the stars of the show to a level I don't think I've heard on a TWS. There is a sense of openness and air that is also typically missing from TWS. Not sure if that's the HDSS or what that is contributing to that. The bass or lack thereof is fine. These aren't bass light they just aren't bass heavy. I listen to mostly alternative and rock. Since I'm stuck with an iphone, I can't bump the bass and I would like to give them a try with a little boost but I'm pretty satisfied with it as is. There is zero bleed and they can go low where the track calls for it. If you put a gun to my head, I think I would say they even edge out the MW07 for SQ. What they lack in tonality, they gain in detail and soundstage.

As an aside, I was traveling this week and used my APP exclusively and man are they awesome. I used to carry multiple pairs on travel but I think APP is so good, so convenient and so small that I probably would't bother anymore. The ANC was more than sufficient on the plane and allowed me to keep volume at 50%.

Now, I would really like to see if Bose can beat the APP with better SQ and ANC. Or maybe Nuarl will add ANC to the N6. I'm starting to think ANC is going to be a requirement for me going forward. Once you have it, it's hard to give it up.

I share the same views on the APP and it is rapidly becoming the only (mobile) headphone whether over-ear or TWS I reach for. However I've been tempted with the Nuarl since the first 01AX. Is the sound quality significantly better than the APP that it is worth getting?

Jan 12, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #18,491 of 62,751
I share the same views on the APP and it is rapidly becoming the only (mobile) headphone whether over-ear or TWS I reach for. However I've been tempted with the Nuarl since the first 01AX. Is the sound quality significantly better than the APP that it is worth getting?

Yes the sq is that much better. Sq is APPs biggest weakness. I’ve grown used to it and don’t mind it for music but I would never use them for music outside of the gym or travel. For critical listening no way.

The bigger issue really is whether you need a sq first tws headset with no bells and whistles. When I’m going to sit and listen to music id probably go with my wired set up. In the gym and traveling the ANC is becoming a must have for me. So where does the N6 slot it? For me at least, they slot in somewhere between wired and APP. If you have a use case for something like that (still not sure I do) then grab them.

Jan 12, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #18,492 of 62,751
Purchased a pair of Mpow M5 for a friend but of course I just had to give them a good listen before giving them off :wink:

All impressions are with a MacBook Pro, AptX enabled, and an iPhone 6s (no AptX) both running Spotify Premium

The first thing I notice are how monstrous the bass one these are. I wouldn't say it's THE bassiest IEM I've listened to but I'd imagine most bassheads or even the casual pop listeners who notice bass firstly would be satisfied. The bass is a bit boomy but still well defined. I'd say the bass rarely gets muddy but it does give the lower midrange its full sound. Interesting enough, I don't find the lower midrange to be warm at all. I find it a bit dark and thick sounding. The upper midrange, although not emphasised, gets a bit thinner which I feel gives these IEMs its clarity. This thinner note carries on to the lower treble giving the M5 some sparkle. It's not the smoothest nor most refined upper midrange nor treble but it never gets harsh either. There is definitely roll-off past the lower treble.

Soundstage is wide but depth can be improved. Imaging and instrument separation is surprisingly good but I think that's due to the general wideness of the stage.

Compared to the Final Audio Design E3000 (for slightly more at $40) which are also considered warm and slightly bass heavy IEMs, the bass of the E3000 goes just as deep and keeps all the detail in the reverb but with notably less emphasis. The E3000 definitely has a slightly boosted bass. The E3000 also has a clearer lower midrange but features a midrange that is warmer than the M5's. In regards to the note thickness of the E3000, I find these very slightly thinner in the lower midrange but thicker than the M5 in the upper midrange. Basically the E3000 has a more consistent note thickness throughout the frequency range. The M5 actually has a brighter upper midrange which might give the feeling of additional clarity. The E3000 has smoother lower treble but I'd say roll-off in the highest frequencies are similar.

Soundstage is wider on the M5 but the E3000 has better depth and slightly better imaging. I'd say instrument separation is a toss up.

The Mpow M5 will not replace the best in-ears in the price range nor did I expect them to. I believe the fact that they could be compared at all is an achievement in the developments of technology and the company of course.

Overall, if the M5 came out, even wired, a few years back, they could easily be the beginner's IEM choice for an extremely fun, and relatively balanced (bass notwithstanding) sound. That the M5 are a pair TWS IEMs, where those same years back we only had the single-ear bluetooth call headsets, makes it an outstanding value today. My caveat being, of course, that I've yet to demo other TWS IEMs. It just so happens that wired in-ears in this price range have gotten a lot better as well.

These have definitely gotten me curious about picking up my own TWS IEM or maybe even my own Mpow M5 in the future.
I got the Mpow M5s before I got the APP and for me it sounds better than the Anbes 359 (original) or Syllable S101 and I agree with @Bartig that it has good sound, even if my musical tastes don't hit it's sweet spot.

However, and this is for me what separates on-ears from TWS for me, I find the case to be the worst of all the TWS I've had, and it is so bad that I've not used it much in spite of it having the best sound. I wouldn't even mention any of the cases for my on-ears but for a TWS they are incredibly important for me.

Let me go through why I dislike it so much:
  1. The case is shaped like a large lozenge, which is just the wrong shape. It is too thick for my trouser pocket but is too small to go into a bag and find it. Easily. Yet in area, it isn't that big.
  2. The outer covering of the fake leather got scratched with my fingernail before I'd even opened it for the first time. It is now scratched everywhere.
  3. I cannot tell which way round to open it without looking at it, and frequently make a mistake even with looking at it.
  4. The lid is difficult to open needing a fingernail under the lid to open it on mine
  5. It is hard for me to get the earphones out of the magnetic grasp
  6. I sometimes mix up left and right when putting them back and there's nothing physically obvious to stop putting L into R and R into L.
  7. The case just feels cheap. The sound on closing the lid, the feel of the outside... the little things which for the cost I paid ($30) is something I'm willing to forgive
  8. It has micro-usb which is again something I'm willing to forgive
Whilst I'm not an Apple fanboy, one has to argue that the APP (and Airpod) got this one spot on, but then in the case of the APP at 7-8 times the cost, they really should have...

Jan 12, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #18,493 of 62,751
I've read that the PBP are actually pretty decent sounding or at least better than the AirPods Pro which are okay sounding! How do you find their sound compared to the Bomakers?[/QUOTE

The Powerbeats pro is a solid upgrade from the bomaker. Of course, the Powerbeats pro are five times as expensive and have a very different form factor. Whenever I go back to the Powerbeats pro, I remain impressed by just how good they sound. They also have lockdown Apple connectivity. The downside is that they are quite large and the case is big and heavy.

Jan 12, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #18,494 of 62,751
Yes the sq is that much better. Sq is APPs biggest weakness. I’ve grown used to it and don’t mind it for music but I would never use them for music outside of the gym or travel. For critical listening no way.

The bigger issue really is whether you need a sq first tws headset with no bells and whistles. When I’m going to sit and listen to music id probably go with my wired set up. In the gym and traveling the ANC is becoming a must have for me. So where does the N6 slot it? For me at least, they slot in somewhere between wired and APP. If you have a use case for something like that (still not sure I do) then grab them.
Thank you. I too struggle to have a use case for them having a good wired setup at my office desk that is almost certainly better than the N6s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back