Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 18, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #17,416 of 62,435
What HiFi magazine in the UK have given the Amazon Echo Buds a very unflattering review. 2 stars out of 5 and a "don't buy" recommendation. I was torn between these and the SSK around 11/11 so it looks like I made the right call with the SSKs...

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/amazon-echo-buds

Can't say I've noticed any of the sound problems based on volume they point out. There is however the occasional "pop" when changing the volume I recently noticed which I think is attributable to the "Feedback ANC" they're using, i.e. the sound inside your ear changes so the ANC has to adapt. Same as when you're in the tube with overhead ANC cans and the door opens creating a pressure change that tricks the ANC mics on the outside. Not a huge deal for the Echo Buds but the APPs, XM3s or LTA+ don't have that.

I do object to that "comment in passing" the "They’re not quite as good as the more expensive Sony WF-1000XM3s, but there is a subtle improvement with the ANC turned on, compared to relying on the passive isolation from the earbuds." Yes as I've (and @rhsauer) written before the improvement is subtle but that's because the passive isolation of the Echo Buds is WAY better than it is on the XM3s (or APPs or LTA+). What matters is the end result, passive+ANR/ANC, and the Echo Buds are the best to my ears. RTings with their intricate measuring device agree too :wink:

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #17,417 of 62,435
My first foray into TW headphones is with the Cambridge Melomania 1's. I did a fair bit of research on these and it was either going to be these or the Sony XM3s.

I ended up returning them after a week. Some of its issues are more about TW headphones themselves rather than specifically to the Cambridge.
My previous BT headphones are Anker Soundsurge headphones, which cost the princely sum of £18 a couple of years ago, but in fairness apart from the pretty poor battery life (around 4 hours tops) they seem to punch above their weight for sound quality.

Anyway I decided I wanted an upgrade so I plumped for these.

First off I bought them mainly for use in the office, but immediately found them somewhat impractical. If someone comes and talks to me (very frequent) then with my old neckbuds I just pulled them out my ears and let them hang on my neck. With these, I had to remove one of the earphones and either hold it or put it down (and hope I don't forget it). For that reason alone I don't think I'll be getting any other TW headphone.
er.

That's why an easy to access transparency/ambient mode is so important, but sadly the majority of True Wireless doesn't deliver this. But I'm hopeful we'll see many new interesting products in 2020.

Would also be a big boost for all bluetooth earbuds/headphones if APTX Adaptive became more common, then there's no need for any other codec unless they develop something with a higher bitrate.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #17,418 of 62,435
Can't say I've noticed any of the sound problems based on volume they point out. There is however the occasional "pop" when changing the volume I recently noticed which I think is attributable to the "Feedback ANC" they're using, i.e. the sound inside your ear changes so the ANC has to adapt. Same as when you're in the tube with overhead ANC cans and the door opens creating a pressure change that tricks the ANC mics on the outside. Not a huge deal for the Echo Buds but the APPs, XM3s or LTA+ don't have that.

I do object to that "comment in passing" the "They’re not quite as good as the more expensive Sony WF-1000XM3s, but there is a subtle improvement with the ANC turned on, compared to relying on the passive isolation from the earbuds." Yes as I've (and @rhsauer) written before the improvement is subtle but that's because the passive isolation of the Echo Buds is WAY better than it is on the XM3s (or APPs or LTA+). What matters is the end result, passive+ANR/ANC, and the Echo Buds are the best to my ears. RTings with their intricate measuring device agree too :wink:

does the echo buds ANC mode has a faint hissing sound?

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #17,419 of 62,435
That's why an easy to access transparency/ambient mode is so important, but sadly the majority of True Wireless doesn't deliver this. But I'm hopeful we'll see many new interesting products in 2020.

Yes, I don't think I read of any implementation of it that I would find satisfactory at this stage so I made do without for the M1s, but I hadn't really fully thought about how impractical it would be in the real world.

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #17,420 of 62,435
Yes, I don't think I read of any implementation of it that I would find satisfactory at this stage so I made do without for the M1s, but I hadn't really fully thought about how impractical it would be in the real world.

There are a few great implementations were you just have to press it once and it automatically lowers the music volume and engages the ambient mode.

But the biggest problem is ofc the human factor, other people will still think that you're listning to music werehas if you take an earbud out they'll now for certain that you can listen.

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #17,421 of 62,435
There seem to be a lot of defects with TE-BD21f version in Japan. Aviot's customer service seems to ignore customers, as seen from reviews on Amazon Japan.
I would say buy only from a seller you can return in case you have a problem with the device.
For your information, Amazon Japan does not allow to returns packages like electronics if they have been opened. (Unlike their US counterpart).
Unfortunately I think my charging case doesn't seem to be able to charge the right earbud now, which seems like a common complaint on the Amazon reviews. I shall take it back to the store and see what they can do about it.

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #17,422 of 62,435
I got the Fiil T1X about a week ago based on how everyone here was raving about them. They do sound really good, especially on the higher end. My left earbud has AWFUL driver flex though, and they're not nearly as comfortable as my B530s or Liberty 2 Pros. I might pick them up again later when they finally get their Android app done, but this set is going back...

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #17,423 of 62,435
I've been using the Bokmann 04 for a week, I think they are a rebranded Shanling. They meet 2 important critera, SQ is excellent (even tho I would have loved an extra 10% volume) and they got an ambient mode. But the control scheme is incredibly stupid, if they had costed more I would have sended them back directly.

But for the asking price and the features they are decent set of TWS. The wait for the perfect TWS will continue, so for now a cheaper pair will have to do.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07WV29DXB/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=bokmann+04&qid=1576693594&sr=8-1-spell

I just wish some of the top names would start to take both the hardware and software seriously, its starting to happen in the Headphone ANC department, but that market is much more mature than the TWS.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #17,424 of 62,435
But the biggest problem is ofc the human factor, other people will still think that you're listning to music werehas if you take an earbud out they'll now for certain that you can listen.

Agree, I did read a review of the XM3 where the reviewer said they liked the hearthrough feature but he felt incredibly rude doing so. I would probably have the same issue. I feel like I’m going to be restricted to neckbuds for my use, as I’m not really wanting to wear a big pair of cans at work (even though I have done so before). I would go back to wired but the dongles were an utter pain.

Dec 18, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #17,425 of 62,435
Agree, I did read a review of the XM3 where the reviewer said they liked the hearthrough feature but he felt incredibly rude doing so. I would probably have the same issue. I feel like I’m going to be restricted to neckbuds for my use, as I’m not really wanting to wear a big pair of cans at work (even though I have done so before). I would go back to wired but the dongles were an utter pain.

But I've noticed its becoming more "acceptable" to keep your earbuds on, especially now with the launch of the Air Pods pro.

Dec 18, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #17,426 of 62,435
Unfortunately I think my charging case doesn't seem to be able to charge the right earbud now, which seems like a common complaint on the Amazon reviews. I shall take it back to the store and see what they can do about it.

That does not give me any confidence in QC of Aviot. My te-d01b start to develop some fainted hiss after a month of use, not dead silent anymore.

Dec 18, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #17,427 of 62,435
Got libratone air+ today. They're beyond my expectation. Put on spinfit 360 and they sound every close to my Kanas pro paired with BT20S. No hiss noticeable. Tiny and comfortable. Will do more tip rolling and compare with APP when I get them on Friday.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #17,430 of 62,435
Got six pairs of JVC Spiral Dots from Penon Audio today.
2x M-ML-L (L was too big, and was wasted money)
BUT, my God! The ML with the updated Lypertek Tevi!! :L3000::L3000::L3000:

With Spinfit CP360 I used the "bass booster settings", but with the Spiral dots it's soo good with flat eq/Lypertek signature in the app.

PS: I owe it to you d3myz, for your glowing reviews of these tips several times.
:wink: My man! They really are a game changer for my TWS'. I also just got the Symbio w/ peel tips and They have a very similar effect on the mids and treble. It's amazing what they have done for the Liberty 2 pro's highs. They do reduce some bass like the spiral dots, but I feel like the deliver a more accurate sound. Glad you like them!

I got the Fiil T1X about a week ago based on how everyone here was raving about them. They do sound really good, especially on the higher end. My left earbud has AWFUL driver flex though, and they're not nearly as comfortable as my B530s or Liberty 2 Pros. I might pick them up again later when they finally get their Android app done, but this set is going back...

In my experience driver flex is caused by the seal and pressure up against the driver. I can get almost all the TWS' I own to flex if I push on the with a good seal. I don't think it's really any indication of the quality of the driver because even the Graphene drivers in the Nuarl NT01A flex when I put them in, but maybe i'm missing something. :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back