Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 2, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #14,731 of 62,175
I've seen sellers on AliX call it the 'stethoscope effect' :wink:

are your X12 bt5? I know we both have the Lezii version, and mine is only 4.2 and sucks at connection, hence I am thinking about getting the latest Sabbath X12 ultra on 11.11, though I am really not a fan of those colors

"stethoscope" would be more for cable noise possibly, but it's just as annoying yes !
Not 5.0 and while the connection is good most of the time, there are some areas where it's really bad yes, haven't figured out why. Hadn't thought of getting the 5.0 version (and QCC3020) to see if that was improved. I had the "camo" in my basket at Amazon for 29€ the other day but since they were for backup purposes I wasn't in a hurry and now they're no longer available. What's the best price you've seen on Ali for 11.11 ?

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #14,732 of 62,175
The verge gave APP a 9 which is the highest I've seen them give a tw headset to date. Not suggesting the verge is the end all be all but they think the ANC is on par with the sony and SQ possibly slightly worse.

Had missed that review, here it is https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/1/...esign-price-specs-features-noise-cancellation

Pretty detailed and accurate review starting with the...perfect title : "perfect fit" - that's really the headline news to me, Apple have managed to make an IEM as easy and pleasant to use as an earbud, the fact that's it's got ANC, decent sound, excellent mics, a tiny case doesn't hurt either of course :wink: They do call out the "limited lifespan", I'm not so sure really, my 65Ts are 1+ year old and I can't say I've noticed any reduced battery life. Sur it will happen, eventually, but that's probably more like in 5+ years time, unless you're unlucky. Other than not having "Ok Google" they're absolutely fine for Android use too.

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #14,733 of 62,175
Any of you that have the XM3s and Tidal try the new Tidal 360? As far as I know its exclusive to Sony products only. Giving it a try now to see how it sounds. its suppose to give 5.1 surround.

Edit:
Looks like all headphones can do this but the Sony app is the only one as of now able to customize and it take pictures of your head to optimize it.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #14,734 of 62,175
Just an update. Now two different pairs of MW07+ with bad connectivity issues. Just returned the second pair sadly, loved the SQ and call quality but connection issues were just too frustrating for me. Now back to my trusty Tevi and with some eq in favor of bass I remembered what I loved about these things in the first place. Just awesome sound for the price, even compared w the MW07. Btw if any of you wanna see my full review of the Tevis, my review is the top review on Amazon right now. I was a super early adopter and loved them right away.

Nov 2, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #14,736 of 62,175
Just an update. Now two different pairs of MW07+ with bad connectivity issues. Just returned the second pair sadly, loved the SQ and call quality but connection issues were just too frustrating for me. Now back to my trusty Tevi and with some eq in favor of bass I remembered what I loved about these things in the first place. Just awesome sound for the price, even compared w the MW07. Btw if any of you wanna see my full review of the Tevis, my review is the top review on Amazon right now. I was a super early adopter and loved them right away.
Is it possible they're having issues with iphones? Have you tried it with any qualcomm devices with aptx and TWS?

Nov 2, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #14,737 of 62,175
Is it possible they're having issues with iphones? Have you tried it with any qualcomm devices with aptx and TWS?

maybe? My Tevis work perfectly. Zero connection issues

Nov 2, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #14,739 of 62,175
This is not meant to rip on Apple, but more of an observation. There are so many complaints here regarding Non - iProducts not playing nice with iProducts.
At one point years ago I was curious about trying Apple stuff, but after reading about all the issues here I'm glad I never went there, and I am more than happy with my lowly Android that seems to work well with just about anything, (except Apple products). It would drive me crazy knowing what I have is so proprietary to it's own gear, and out of sync with many other gears/software, etc. Not to mention having to pay a premium price for just "ok" sound.

But I'm glad for the Apple fans seemingly, finally finding something that works well for them in the new APP.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #14,740 of 62,175
Interesting App review. Very favorable overall, but reams them bad on SQ for the price.

I agree 100% with this review.

Nov 2, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #14,741 of 62,175
I agree 100% with this review.
I agree with most of it, except for the part where he says the AirPods Pro passively block out more mid-to-high frequency noise than the Sony. I find the Sony simply passively isolate better and block out more noise, period. The venting system allows more noise to pass through the AirPod Pro than the Sony. He does indicate the Small tips worked better for him, so it's possible he didn't achieve the best fit with the Sony.

I do like the seamless integration of the AirPod Pros with iOS and how well they work for calls, and while they are tempting to keep, the sound (at $249) just doesn't cut it if I'm going to use it for a few hours straight. The BackBeat Pro 5100 sound better and are arguably better for calls at $169. The whole package is good and will probably work for many, many people, just not for me.

Nov 2, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #14,742 of 62,175
This is not meant to rip on Apple, but more of an observation. There are so many complaints here regarding Non - iProducts not playing nice with iProducts.
At one point years ago I was curious about trying Apple stuff, but after reading about all the issues here I'm glad I never went there, and I am more than happy with my lowly Android that seems to work well with just about anything, (except Apple products). It would drive me crazy knowing what I have is so proprietary to it's own gear, and out of sync with many other gears/software, etc. Not to mention having to pay a premium price for just "ok" sound.

But I'm glad for the Apple fans seemingly, finally finding something that works well for them in the new APP.

The only issue I really have with this is the assumption of just "OK" sound. I've read reviews saying they sound identical to the OG AirPods, I've read reviews saying they're an improvement, I've read they are worse. Realistically, I couldn't even tell you if there was a consensus on what the AirPod Pros sounded like based on the more "professional" reviews. These are a midrange-focused signature which typically isn't everyone's cup of tea. The original AirPods were just "OK" and just passable for their sound quality. I stated this in my review above, but sonically, they are easily in the top 3 TWS IEMs that I own (the OG AirPods are easily bottom two, probably dead last). Just make sure you insert them as deep as you can get them and tip roll using something like the Sensaphonics Seal test (https://www.sensaphonics.com/pages/audio-seal-test) and don't blindly trust Apple's seal test. For the most part, they are on par with others in their price range. Granted I mainly only have the Sony WF-1000X and B&W E8 in the price range.

At the same time, I might have a slight bias since I do prefer a more linear, more neutral, sound signature similar to the Etymotic or the HiFiMan RE0 as baselines. Both are regarded as very thin headphones because they are, but the bass depth is there on both with presence having difficulties (slight to major depending on who you ask). To be honest, they are the closest analog I have to describing the sound signature of the AirPod Pros. They are thin with just slightly better low-to-mid bass presence over my ER3SE having similar presence issues down in the sub-bass.

Another note, if anyone with the AirPod Pros want more bass, turn off the ANC and Transparency features. It creates a minor improvement in sub-bass presence which helps out the headphones quite a bit.

Nov 2, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #14,743 of 62,175

Apple makes great phones. Software has to play within its own sandbox and they work super smoothly with the hardware. Gaming just flat out runs better on iOS vs. Android. That being said, Apple accessories typically fall short for me, because unfortunately, they are high margin products that they know will have an instant market. Nothing wrong with that, especially from a business perspective, but for us in a niche market, it may leave many of us wanting.

Nov 2, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #14,744 of 62,175
The only issue I really have with this is the assumption of just "OK" sound. I've read reviews saying they sound identical to the OG AirPods, I've read reviews saying they're an improvement, I've read they are worse. Realistically, I couldn't even tell you if there was a consensus on what the AirPod Pros sounded like based on the more "professional" reviews. These are a midrange-focused signature which typically isn't everyone's cup of tea. The original AirPods were just "OK" and just passable for their sound quality. I stated this in my review above, but sonically, they are easily in the top 3 TWS IEMs that I own (the OG AirPods are easily bottom two, probably dead last). Just make sure you insert them as deep as you can get them and tip roll using something like the Sensaphonics Seal test (https://www.sensaphonics.com/pages/audio-seal-test) and don't blindly trust Apple's seal test. For the most part, they are on par with others in their price range. Granted I mainly only have the Sony WF-1000X and B&W E8 in the price range.

At the same time, I might have a slight bias since I do prefer a more linear, more neutral, sound signature similar to the Etymotic or the HiFiMan RE0 as baselines. Both are regarded as very thin headphones because they are, but the bass depth is there on both with presence having difficulties (slight to major depending on who you ask). To be honest, they are the closest analog I have to describing the sound signature of the AirPod Pros. They are thin with just slightly better low-to-mid bass presence over my ER3SE having similar presence issues down in the sub-bass.

Another note, if anyone with the AirPod Pros want more bass, turn off the ANC and Transparency features. It creates a minor improvement in sub-bass presence which helps out the headphones quite a bit.
Totally agree. They are a mid-centric sound that some people like and some people don't. "Quality" is mostly perceived as "enjoyment", which mixes objective and subjective variables. Ruth's Chris Steak House certainly has objectively better steak than Denny's, but shoot, I like Denny's T-Bone better. My mom was always getting on my case for liking instant mashed potatoes better than the real thing.

I don't enjoy the sound signature on the AirPods Pro because my ears hear a raspiness that just bothers me. They just sound scratchy to me, while the bass sounds soft and mushy. But hey, I don't hold out my opinion as the truth, it's just the truth for me.

Nov 2, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #14,745 of 62,175
Nice review. Just a comment on the app pro controls. Do you know whether or not you’re on the latest firmware? When I first got mine, I also thought the controls were kind of terrible, but after the firmware update they are pretty spot on. I’m not sure if it was the firmware or I just got used to how they work, but they don’t miss now.
Yeah, got the latest firmware. They control pretty good but not flawless, is all.

By the way, I added a conclusion and selected recommendations to my AirPods Pro comparison: https://www.scarbir.com/guide/apple-airpods-pro-vs-cheap-tws

Users who are viewing this thread

Back