Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 14, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #13,426 of 62,139
It’s stable in volume, and continues even after I turn the volume all the way down. It only stops a few seconds after I stop playback (the hiss also cuts out).

EDIT: Using an audio tone generator app on my source (i.e. my iPhone) and A/B-ing between no audio and the tone, I’m able to narrow down the frequency to being between 7500-8000Hz (probably 7800Hz), if that helps.

what device/phone do you use? is it BT 5.0 compatible?
i have one same instance of that happening with the QCY T1C when paired to my older tablet, but not when paired with my phone (which has BT 5.0). it sounds like a beeping noise that only stops when the music/video stops.
i haven't notice it happening with my other BT devices, I'll check on them later.

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #13,427 of 62,139
what device/phone do you use? is it BT 5.0 compatible?
i have one same instance of that happening with the QCY T1C when paired to my older tablet, but not when paired with my phone (which has BT 5.0). it sounds like a beeping noise that only stops when the music/video stops.
i haven't notice it happening with my other BT devices, I'll check on them later.

I’m using an iPhone Xs, which should support BT5.0, though not aptX, if that makes a difference.

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #13,428 of 62,139
I'm in a pickle.

In a nutshell: is there a TWS with aptx support, IPX7 rating, good value and more of a neutral sound signature?

I have the MPOW T5 and I'm quite into it. Though it's not night and day, I perceive a significant difference in audio sync using aptx when streaming media with my phone. However I'm coming from the likes of Sennheiser HD 598 and the plethora of Hifiman earphones (RE-0, -00, ZERO, 400a and possibly more) with neutral sound signature and decent soundstage... I like how the T5 sounds, but I find myself missing the way my old 'buds' – sorry – whispered sweet lullabies in my ears.

The ease of mind of being able to shower while catching up with my Up Next playlist on Pocket Casts has revealed to be a blessing too.

Sabbat E12, Shanling MTW100 BA, Tranya's, ADV M5... I've read tibits about them all but they always fall short in one or two aspects or don't seem to be that much of an upgrade to the MPOW T5

Is there a decent alternative available or soon to be released I should be locking sights on?

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Blu...hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-878974688797
These meet the criteria while they seem to have a w shaped signature.

Oct 15, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #13,431 of 62,139
Well...

1) Boredom. Before anything else, there didn't seem like a lot to talk about. Most of the recent comments have focused on revisiting older chi-fi options. As that's not my cup of tea, I was twiddling my thumbs.

2) Music. I like music, of all, er most, kinds. So I sought those two artists as I had not heard of them and listened. Didn't like what I heard so joking reply ensued.

3) The thread isn't about a lot of stuff that is posted here, perhaps even most stuff posted here.

4) Favorite songs to test...hmm. Most of my earbud listening is gym related, therefore I often test earbuds with a mix of high energy electronic and rock music, maybe with a dash of what is known as 'chillstep' or 'deep house' thrown in for good measure. Also of note, I don't care about vocals in most songs, so unless an earbud causes vocals to skreech in my ear how it impacts vocals is mostly lost on me. All that said, below are a few that I use as test songs.

Far Too Loud - Firestorm (Karetus Remix)
Awolnation - MF
Flux Pavillion - I Can't Stop
Blue Foundation - Eyes on Fire (Zeds Dead Remix)
Blackmill - Let it Be
Lindsey Stirling - Electric Daisy Violin
Imagine Dragons - Radioactive (explicit ver. w/ Kendrick Lamar)
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
Otis Taylor - Hey Joe (Recapturing the Banjo ver.)
Webb Wilder - Baby Please Don't Go

The first two songs above, Firestorm and MF, sound like poop through most earbuds so it takes a special bass heavy tune. Most drivers don't go heavy enough, and the ones that do often can't recover fast enough for the next beat that comes in rapid succession. Much better in a car with 20 speakers and a subwoofer at full volume (big surprise).

*Cheers to all*

I feel you on all of those points... and I appreciate the songs!

You may be entertained to know that our sound preferences intersect in that I also have Eyes on Fire (Zeds Dead) in my historical folder! (guns n roses too, but that's a gimme)

I'm going to check out those first two on my EX-800st main setup and pick from some of the others for my "test" playlist for whatever tws set breaks through my resistance next.

(Also gonna add some from the other recommendations coming in the thread, thanks everyone!)

cheers back man

Oct 15, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #13,432 of 62,139
I got some new purchases in this last week and been testing them over the weekend.
1. Nuforce Befree 8. I know these aren't anything new, but I wanted to try them out and see how much of a difference AptX-LL made. It does get rid of the audio lag on Youtube from my phone and when connected to an AptX-LL adapter on my PC. It is pretty much indistinguishable from a wired connection. That being said, I'm not sure if I'll keep them. The sound is nothing spectacular, but not terrible at all with the bigger Spinfit tips included. The battery life and connection consistency are the killers. Since the left bud is the master and it uses NFMI to connect the right bud, sometimes if I move my head just right the right side bud will DC. It definitely DCs as soon as it leaves my ear. And since it's BT 4.2 the range for the left side to stay connected is pretty limited; life 10 feet or so. Battery life is nothing to write home about. They get 3-4 hours per charge. The problem is they get HOT while they're in the charging case. Hot enough it's uncomfortable when I take them out of the case and put them in my ear. Probably going to send these back.

2. Lystar J29 - These are probably keepers. For $21 (Apparently $40 now) the sound is very enjoyable. I equated them in this thread earlier to a slightly neutered Tranya B530 and I still think that holds true. No major connection issues yet. Haven't tested call quality yet. My only complaint is the huge and bright LEDs on the buttons. If you wore them on top of a tall building or tower you could alert planes to stay away!

3. Mijiaer T30 - These are going back for sure. The sound is quite good, but not amazing. Similar to the Lystar but with a definite background hiss. They've been a pain in the ass to get connected and stay connected or reconnect after charging. They have to be reset almost every time. Not worth the trouble or money for something that doesn't offer anything outstanding.

Here's some pictures of the trio, with the Kissral R18 and Tranya B530 added in for comparison of the size of the buds and charging cases.

20191010_102526.jpg 20191010_103015.jpg 20191010_103035.jpg 20191010_132859.jpg 20191010_132918.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #13,433 of 62,139
Hmm, I'm thinking when they refer to ANC, they're really talking about the mic. If it has legit ANC, they'd be interesting to try.
Sounds plausible. Just amazing how devoid those 2 sole listings are of specs. Even the specs page seems like a rushed copy / paste job (don’t believe those are hybrids, but hey :wink: )

I also googled outside AliExpress, checked Whizzer’s FB and did a reverse image search ...
21D925C1-5C61-40B1-9E74-F045DE99DE18.jpeg

Really very little info out there ...

Oct 15, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #13,434 of 62,139
Just got a set of Creative Outlier Golds, second attempt. Kinda like 'm for the price!
My history in TWS so far:
- Audio Technica ATH-CKR7TW: Had them for a week, tested them and send them back. I found them to clunky (sticking out of my ear too much), and also too bright.
- Earin M2: Lovely! Certainly when you EQ them a bit brighter, they have a lovely maybe so far for me unrivaled sound quality! Battery life isn't amazing, but for me not a deal breaker, since they do last like 2-3hrs on a charge and have a few charges in the case (I don't have 8hr flights on a regular basis, so I don't find battery life that important). Top notch build quality and design (small!) as well, including a decent to good interface with the touchpads on the earpieces (whereas you can accidentally touch the pads and play/pause your music when putting them in or out of your ear), however, the connection quality isn't awesome. Many times only one connects, or the connection drops between the two earpieces, or just completely. Now unfortunately I lost one of the earpieces... :frowning2:
- Sabbat E12 TWS: Still have them lying around. Nice design, ok fit, bit shiny all over (fingerprint magnet). But good quality for the price, decent sound quality as well (quite strong bass though), decent button interface, good battery life. However, after one month of usage my right earpiece simply won't work anymore, it doesn't connect. And then I didn't bother that much to seek for support (ordered them when I was in Canada for the holidays, but I'm living in the EU).
- Creative Outlier Gold: So after my lost Earin and dead Sabbat, I was looking for something new. Maybe it was also the more sophisticated name that attracted me, but mainly the design and proposed sound quality were pulling me towards them (and the insane battery life is a nice bonus). I got my first pair about a month ago. They worked fine, good stable connection, pairing was easy, sound was quite good (a lot of bass again, a bit like the sabbats, but then the highs on these sounds more crisp than the more sharp electrical highs in the (cheaper) Sabbats). But then the right earpiece broke down. It did connect, it did register commando's (like, push the button to playpause) to my phone, but no sound came through...Seemed like a faulty design. So I contacted Creative, and after one attempt to reset them, it failed again, so I sent them back to Creative. They then sent me a new pair quite quickly. Now I have new ones since yesterday and am happy so far! Hope they don't break down, but it seems fine now! Will post later again if they do break down again. But in general, they sound good, are comfortable, don't stick out too much, and last forever. The buttons are quite un-usable I have to say....the click is so strong that it hurts my ear...please Creative, add touchpads on them! Then you got killer TWS! Oh, this SuperXFi thingy? I don't bother about that, since the app doesn't allow streaming music, so you can only SuperXFi "Enhance" your locally stored files...bummer. Maybe they can update it later on through the app, but I am already happy with how they sound and perform.

Oct 15, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #13,435 of 62,139
It’s stable in volume, and continues even after I turn the volume all the way down. It only stops a few seconds after I stop playback (the hiss also cuts out).

EDIT: Using an audio tone generator app on my source (i.e. my iPhone) and A/B-ing between no audio and the tone, I’m able to narrow down the frequency to being between 7500-8000Hz (probably 7800Hz), if that helps.

I'm still a newbie when it comes to this stuff, but it seems all my bluetooth headphones have some level of background hiss which cuts out when no audio.

Normally most noticeable in silence between tracks and when listening at low volume. My KZ sz10 Pro & KZ aptx hd bluetooth adaptor combo seem worse than my old RHA ma650. Possibly due to iem's been more sensitive to the frequency's / amp quality / lack of amp filtering. The noise floor on wired connection to my mobile is barely audible.

Is this still a problem on a high end bluetooth amp like the Fiio btr5?
Also seen some reports of this been an issue on the Liberty 2 Pro.... still waiting for mine...

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #13,436 of 62,139
I'm still a newbie when it comes to this stuff, but it seems all my bluetooth headphones have some level of background hiss which cuts out when no audio.

Normally most noticeable in silence between tracks and when listening at low volume. My KZ sz10 Pro & KZ aptx hd bluetooth adaptor combo seem worse than my old RHA ma650. Possibly due to iem's been more sensitive to the frequency's / amp quality / lack of amp filtering. The noise floor on wired connection to my mobile is barely audible.

Is this still a problem on a hi-end bluetooth amp like the Fiio btr5?
Also seen some reports of this been an issue on the Liberty 2 Pro.... still waiting for mine...

The es100 is dead silent, sometimes I'm not even sure it is on...

The Nuarl hisses but my x12 and Nillkin go are silent. You can hear them kind of pop to life if they are in standby and you start playing something. Not a noticeable hiss but definitely a presence, so to speak.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #13,437 of 62,139

Is this still a problem on a high end bluetooth amp like the Fiio btr5?

Seconding @RobinFood on the ES100 being dead silent. It is much better than its price would indicate.

It’s also less than a third of the price of the Fostex TM2, so... :triportsad:

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #13,438 of 62,139
Saw that review and thats what i need, i think. https://medium.com/@vstolpner/shanling-mtw100-ba-knowles-bas-in-a-chi-fi-shell-25a3a5a32e57

And decided to buy them from ali. With discount they cost me is about 74$. I think that a good deal for good BA. Be careful, the white version is dynamic, black and red is armature.
There are special coupon 6$ from 60$
Seller coupon 2$
And 7$ from 50$ from main page ali, but idk thats for everyone or platinum members.
123.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back