Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 1, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #4,786 of 62,436
Screenshot_20190201-223450_Drive.jpg

Just found out the brochure for the Fostex TM2. They doesn't seem to include a case with additional battery, but they include a charging cradle which seems to be able to fit most IEM. And more importantly, the 12 hours battery is huge. Of course the aptX and True Wireless Plus support is good to have.

I think this is definitely a purchase for me. Just hoping that the hiss won't be much, but even if it is, I can still find some less sensitive dynamic IEM to pair with it. :)

Feb 1, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #4,788 of 62,436
Hi - long time lurker of this thread. I have been using the M2's since September and I am on my third case. The first two stopped holding a charge completely, only worked while plugged in. They had no issues replacing them for me. May be worth putting a ticket with support.

Yeah, if it keeps up I will pull a ticket and then sell them on case replacement. I'm tired of the build issues with these things, and unlike the MTW, the M2 don't sound good enough to ride them out.

Feb 1, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #4,789 of 62,436
Just got the Nuarl NT01AX....OMG, my mind is blown away by them at the moment. They look absolutely stunning and sound. They remind me of my of my ER4XR, it's hard to believe that they are wireless...tons of details, a realistic soundstage, and a bass slightly above pure neutral. Listening to live albums now to test them properly, and you can hear the reverb in the halls they are playing. Excellent separation between the singers and the instruments. Everything sounds beautiful and realistic.

That said, the box they came in can go to hell. They were fixed to thin cardboard, and I accidentally ripped them out, and I am being paranoid about damaging the nozzle cosmetically. I shouldn't worry about that, since it is not much worse than pulling off a tight eartip, is it?! The carrying box is also meh. It has a small button that opens a latch and feels kind of cheap. The button is super hard to push with long-ish nails too. that being said it is small. If you have any questions ask me. I will probably get a better review up after playing with for a while.

Edit: Can't stop listening...Nuarl motto is natural and neutral, HDSS is a certification that the sound has as little coloring as possible. That is my preffered sound sig, so keep that in mind, but based on first few hours I like the sound of these even more than the MW07s I demo-ed a few weeks ago...amazing high mids and highs, great bass when called for (Killshot bass drop sounded amazing), and very nice detailed mids. The interface is clunky so far (not used to it), but I love the sound coming out of this tiny driver!
Show us some close ups and how they fit in your ears.

Feb 1, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #4,790 of 62,436
Yep. Me too. Looks like a high quality product.
I like the look of these as well. Only issue is I just sold all of my IEMs except my favorite pair (they permanently stay connected to my ES100 with a balanced cable) so I really need to consider these Fostex as being +$X00 more expensive as I know myself, and I will likely buy a $200+ IEM for them (I may control my urges and get something cheap) - so the Fostex end up being far, far more expensive than they look at first blush.

That being said, I've caved on waiting for the QC5000 series for my next TWEs - Ordered the Sabbat E12 Pro to try to hold me over until the new chips start showing up (hopefully in multiple forms). My main hope is that the Sabbat will have decent call quality - if not, they'll likely go right back. What am I doing with my life?

:D

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #4,791 of 62,436
Personally, I'm just probably going to use my existing IEM collection (some that haven't had much use). Probably a good fit with FX850 or Nova. But if the hiss is low, might as well just use it with my U12. Haha...

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #4,792 of 62,436
Just got the Nuarl NT01AX....OMG, my mind is blown away by them at the moment. They look absolutely stunning and sound. They remind me of my of my ER4XR, it's hard to believe that they are wireless...tons of details, a realistic soundstage, and a bass slightly above pure neutral. Listening to live albums now to test them properly, and you can hear the reverb in the halls they are playing. Excellent separation between the singers and the instruments. Everything sounds beautiful and realistic.

That said, the box they came in can go to hell. They were fixed to thin cardboard, and I accidentally ripped them out, and I am being paranoid about damaging the nozzle cosmetically. I shouldn't worry about that, since it is not much worse than pulling off a tight eartip, is it?! The carrying box is also meh. It has a small button that opens a latch and feels kind of cheap. The button is super hard to push with long-ish nails too. that being said it is small. If you have any questions ask me. I will probably get a better review up after playing with for a while.

Edit: Can't stop listening...Nuarl motto is natural and neutral, HDSS is a certification that the sound has as little coloring as possible. That is my preffered sound sig, so keep that in mind, but based on first few hours I like the sound of these even more than the MW07s I demo-ed a few weeks ago...amazing high mids and highs, great bass when called for (Killshot bass drop sounded amazing), and very nice detailed mids. The interface is clunky so far (not used to it), but I love the sound coming out of this tiny driver!
Because of your post, I just ordered the near-clone, ROMEO 07R, that uses the QCC3001 chipset (AAC). We'll see how these bad boys sound!

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #4,793 of 62,436
The Romeo 07R is indeed very close in terms of design other than the button placement but it uses the QCC3001 chipset instead of the QCC3026, so aptX apparently ? The Romeo are only rated at 5.5 hours vs 10 apparently for the NT01AX so that's a big difference !

Feb 1, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #4,794 of 62,436
The spinfit tips expand the sound stage and frequency range a bit, and also make them more resolving. On the flip side seems make me more fatigue for long-time listening. The fit is perfect, though, and fit into the case without any issue.

I've experimented with the Spinfit CP155 as well. I bought both Medium and Large. With the medium I the sound became slightly more V-shaped, the bass became boomier and the mids lost a bit of the subtle bloom while the treble seemed a tad harsh. These were subtle but noticeable changes, and I preferred the stock tips. However, with the large spinfits the sound seems a bit closer to the stock oval tips. Perhaps because they're a tad longer? Hard to tell. The large fit much better than the stock eartips for me, but I notice if I wiggle my ears they get "blocked" and sound muffled much easier than the stock tips, probably due to the flexible portion near the tips of the Spinfits.

EDIT: One sidenote: I find with the spinfits I can't slide them all the way down the nozzle of the Air-X as they simply won't fit my ears properly otherwise. I have to leave them about halfway off to get a good degree of insertion.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #4,795 of 62,436
The Romeo 07R is indeed very close in terms of design other than the button placement but it uses the QCC3001 chipset instead of the QCC3026, so aptX apparently ? The Romeo are only rated at 5.5 hours vs 10 apparently for the NT01AX so that's a big difference !
Yeah, there's no aptX, but I primarily care about AAC mostly, since my main source is an iPhone Xs Max. I have a secondary s8 I use, however.

The button placement of the NT01AX is better, but if the buttons aren't too stiff, it'll work out fine for me. It almost looks like the Romeo 07R comes with Spinfit tips...

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #4,797 of 62,436
I have had really good results with the Sony Triple Comforts.

They're a blend of foam and silicon, it's the comfort of foam with the ease of use of silicon. They also seem to be pretty durable (not as much as silicon, but stronger than foam)

The only place I could find them was on eBay from Japan, seller called akihibarashopping did the best deal.

I use two different sizes in each ear so it was rather pricy, put you get 2 pairs of a single size for 15-16 euro

Any idea how the size of the triple comfort tips compare to the spinfits please?

Feb 1, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #4,798 of 62,436
...I give AT a B for sq and an A for design and fit. I didn’t think they looked too bad once in the ears. Worse than MW07 but no worse than MTW. ... It’s a good time to be into headphones for sure. Embarrassment of riches.
Indeed! Have you had any issues with the hear-through activating on its own? I've probably spent more time turning the thing off because it keeps turning itself on. It's not consistent so I can't figure out what's causing it. I've even used the app to swap the button functions (though the hear-through stays on left side) but it didn't help. These are likely going back due to that.

Just got the Nuarl NT01AX...
Thanks for your impressions! While they're sold on Amazon US, I'm hesitant to order given they'll need to go back to JP in case service is required. Really wish they had local presence here.

...I just ordered the near-clone, ROMEO 07R...
Sadly I had to return these but as far as all the Chi-Fi TWEs I've tried go, this and the Mpow T5's had top notch SQ but both suffered from constant disconnects (especially the T5). They did a little better when used with iPhone 7+ but alas, the V30 is my primary and I had lots of issues staying connected with that. Lemme know if you run into any connection issues (hopefully not seeing you have XS Max). I do think you'll be really pleased by SQ.

My latest trials with other Chi-Fi units is the iansean T1s while they are cheap, the SQ and build reflects that. The pair I got suffers from really poor battery life (only a little over an hour). Also, this statement on the product page is misleading "Completely AAC compatible, these earbuds will play AAC files at their full quality." as it implies it has AAC codec... it doesn't. Wouldn't be an issue if their SBC implementation was good but it's not.

Feb 1, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #4,799 of 62,436
Show us some close ups and how they fit in your ears.

Here are some pics. I'm not really good at taking pics though.

KIMG1592.JPG

KIMG1590.JPG

KIMG1595.JPG

KIMG1602.JPG

I am really enjoying them. Kept them at my bedside and woke up to music this morning.
I compared them to my ER4XRs, and they have a little more bass (still not hindering the mids in any way), and a little more high mids and high sparkle. Violins sound amazing, as do female vocals on the NT01s. Male vocals sound better on the ER4XRs, and the ER4XRs have that extra BA clearness that is hard to describe. Clearer vocals on the ER4XR, but without comparing them one next to the other, I thought they sounded very similar.
They stick out quite a bit. The face plate looks metallic, but to the touch it is smooth plastic...almost feels like acrylic. I saw many pictures but in real life they look different somehow.
The case is small and light, but no magnets. The earphones start charging when you close the case because the lid pushes down on the earphones. Not my favorite design, feels kind of cheap.

Feb 1, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #4,800 of 62,436
Any idea how the size of the triple comfort tips compare to the spinfits please?

Unfortunately never used Spinfits, but I have used Symbio Mandarin-E if that's any help. The TripleComfort M are about the same size, and the S are smaller than the Symbio S.

Thing is because the TripleComforts are foam-silicon blend, a larger size will still squish in pretty comfortably in my experience, but YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back