Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 19, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #1,351 of 62,751
i just got the Sony Wf-1000x and the Jabra Elite 65t and have been comparing them for a few days. for pure sound only, i would take the sony any day. it beats the 65t in soundstage depth and airy-ness the 65t, while good sounding, i need to eq it first, and even after eq the sound lacks depth. i think the sony even performs better than some wired iems around $100 range

i also like the sony's fit better because of its standard IEM silicon tips. the 65t, while it fits well, it moves around and loose seal (especially the right earpiece) whenever i open my mouth or tilt my head back. also the fit of the 65t feels too "full" on my ears.

what i like about the 65t compared to the sony are the shallower profile (less prone to be knocked off the ears) , better battery, smaller case, and real EQ, unlike the preset only of the Sony (or i just didn't find how to do it on the sony

i might use the Sony more often around the house, while i just use the Jabra for outdoor sports only

side note:i found that every time i start using the WF1000x, it will loose connection to the right channel intermittently, but after i toggle the ambient/ noise canceling mode and set to turn those off, the intermittent disconnect will stop altogether and it will have a solid connection.

ps:i haven't test both of them outside or in a busy environment like the mall, etc where there's a lot of radio interferences, so i don't know how stable they would perform on that conditions

I just got the Jabras. Sound is good to me. Isolation is on par with regular IEMs. I was surprised with how secure the fit was, and very impressed with connection quality. From an ease of use perspective they were great, take them out of the case and they turn themselves on and pair. Totally seamless.

There are only two things I don't like - they don't have ANC, which I didn't realize when I bought them. And they have a ~1/4 second latency with video from certain sources. On my TV it was noticeable but didn't really bother me. On my phone it was better.

I'm debating returning them for one of the two Sony models, either the WF1000X or SP700N. 75% of the time that I use these, I'm going to have a fan on in the room, and if they truly do cancel out fan noise like was stated previously, that's a game changer.

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #1,352 of 62,751
I just got the Jabras. Sound is good to me. Isolation is on par with regular IEMs. I was surprised with how secure the fit was, and very impressed with connection quality. From an ease of use perspective they were great, take them out of the case and they turn themselves on and pair. Totally seamless.

There are only two things I don't like - they don't have ANC, which I didn't realize when I bought them. And they have a ~1/4 second latency with video from certain sources. On my TV it was noticeable but didn't really bother me. On my phone it was better.

I'm debating returning them for one of the two Sony models, either the WF1000X or SP700N. 75% of the time that I use these, I'm going to have a fan on in the room, and if they truly do cancel out fan noise like was stated previously, that's a game changer.

Fan will be reduced to a low hum

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #1,353 of 62,751
Fan will be reduced to a low hum

Do either of the two Sony (SP700N or WF-1000X) support multiple pairings? I don't need them to be paired to two devices simultameously, but I do want them to be able to remember two devices and connect to either without going through the pairing process. I'm not sure how to interpret what it says on Rtings "They do not have simultaneous multi-devices pairing but do remember the last sync device for auto-pairing when you open the charging case."

Does that mean if I want to switch from my phone to my TV I need to put them in pairing mode and go through the whole shebang every time? Or does it just mean that they can't be connected to both at the same time?

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #1,354 of 62,751
Do either of the two Sony (SP700N or WF-1000X) support multiple pairings? I don't need them to be paired to two devices simultameously, but I do want them to be able to remember two devices and connect to either without going through the pairing process. I'm not sure how to interpret what it says on Rtings "They do not have simultaneous multi-devices pairing but do remember the last sync device for auto-pairing when you open the charging case."

Does that mean if I want to switch from my phone to my TV I need to put them in pairing mode and go through the whole shebang every time? Or does it just mean that they can't be connected to both at the same time?

yes, it can pair to multiple devices, but not simultaneously. but it will remember all the devices it has paired before

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #1,356 of 62,751
Thanks for all this!
How is the case? The one handed mechanism works well? How about pocketability compared to other True Wireless Earbuds out there?
The case is brilliant and the mechanism works really well. It has a nice feel to it, love that soft touch feel. It's not as small as the AirPods case but certainly pocketable. Smaller footprint than the sony case too.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #1,358 of 62,751
Wow lots of great updates here :wink:
I received the 65T to day too and have been putting them through their paces, comparing them to my Jabra Elite Sport (JES), here are a few notes :
- They definitely put less pressure on the ears which is great to just have them around the house
- Unlike what is reported on RTings I don't think the (passive) isolation is as good though, I do get a good seal though (have the "plugged ears" feel when I talk) so I suppose it's just their design. I should note that I use the stock foam tips with the JES as I get zero seal with the stock silicone tips.
- I tried some Comply Truly Wireless tips I had lying around and I get zero seal unlike what had been reported elsewhere, I guess my ears canals are too big.
- I like their sound and it sounds close to the JES once you push up the bass a bit, but not as "crystalline".
- I'd read you needed to insert them with the tip down and then twist them up but that hurts my ear so I just leave them with the tip down and they slot in nicely in the "gap" at the bottom of my ears.
- now the BIG (and unexpected) issue is that the "thump" when you run (or even walk with them) is even worse than with the JES where it was already pretty distracting. I suppose that's the effect of the tip going deep in the air canal and blocking the air in there completely. On the JES the foam probably lets a bit of air through.

Not sure what to think...I quite like them and I suppose they'd be great to wear around the house/office/train/plane but I can't imagine doing any activity involving walking or running with them as the "thump" would be way too annoying.

@taylor - do you hear the hum of the AC when you're wearing them ? The passive isolation of the 65T is supposed to be way better than on the Sony's (espcially for bass filtering) so it's possible that there would be little, if any, difference with the Sonys with ANC on, especially while listening to music. We were talking about that yesterday with david8613. I might go dig out my fan that I use in the summer to see how the 65Ts do vs my ANC IEMs (that have poor passive isolation)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #1,359 of 62,751
Just received my 65t today...
Sound is just ok-ish. Don't know if I'll be able to live with them if I'm honest.

Also, I thought that they were supposed to support AAC but it keeps defaulting back to SBC on my S9+. Can anyone confirm that they do support this because I've been reading mixed messages on this.
On my S8 my 65t elite use AAC. For wireless I actually like their sound especially when EQed. And in wired IEMs my reference point are Westone 4 and 2. To me Jabras sound like a decent pair of $100 dynamic driver wired IEMs, sort of like Panasonic HJE900 or Monster Gold, but less bassy. Also I found they benefit from burning. Maybe SBC is at the core of your SQ problems?

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #1,360 of 62,751
Took a flyer today at Best Buy on the JLab Epic Air Elite which is an update to last years mediocre reviewed Epic Air. I bought a pair when they first came out last year and could not believe how awful they sounded. Well, either something was off with my pair or the ones are much improved. SQ is quite good - if you like a V-shaped signature with lots of bass. Seem very secure in the ear. These are NOT audiophile grade or balanced but for the gym, they are just right.

I was convinced I was going to buy the Elite Active but the repeated references to average-ish SQ has kept me away. I ended up sending the MW07 back for a refund. SQ was excellent but the hiss was annoying in the left bud and I didn't love the fit. Nice product though.

The Audio Technicas seem to be delayed so I'll be waiting on the Senns. Jury is still out on the RHA True Connect but the poster above confirmed what I suspect regarding SQ. I understand the decision to focus on stability and battery but I would have liked AAC support.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #1,361 of 62,751
@taylor - do you hear the hum of the AC when you're wearing them ? The passive isolation of the 65T is supposed to be way better than on the Sony's (espcially for bass filtering) so it's possible that there would be little, if any, difference with the Sonys with ANC on, especially while listening to music. We were talking about that yesterday with david8613. I might go dig out my fan that I use in the summer to see how the 65Ts do vs my ANC IEMs (that have poor passive isolation)

The passive isolation is pretty solid - I did a test with my old Shure E2Cs and with a Jabra on one ear and an E2C in the other it sounds about the same volume. I can certainly tell that a fan is on, but it turns it down from 'annoyingly loud' to 'I know it's there'. If the Sony's are a step back in passive isolation and simply make up for it with ANC, I wouldn't switch. The comfort and form factor and connectivity of the Jabras is totally on point and I'm not disappointed with the isolation, it's more that I'm curious if there's room for improvement.

Oct 19, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #1,362 of 62,751
I have yet to find an IEM with ANC that has great passive isolation (not even sure they exist honestly...possibly for a reason) but in my experience with IEMs with ANC once you turn on ANC you achieve about the same noise reduction in the bass department as with IEMs with great passive isolation...without having to ram them down your ear canal, which is a big bonus for some people. However it can't make it up for higher pitched and "quick sounds" as david8613 put it yesterday, here's where we were discussing that yesterday https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...are-we-there-yet.861024/page-89#post-14545970 with Rtings isolation comparison.

A few weeks ago while in a noisy car I did put on ANC headphones over the Jabra Elite Sport and it did help. Will try the same thing in a plane next week :wink: Actually I might take some 3M Peltor Optime I "headphones" too !

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #1,363 of 62,751
Jabra support was excellent. they have already sent a replacement pair. there is definitely something wrong with the pair i received. i walked into a mall yesterday and the drop out was crazy, 10+ times and total disconnection when walking past those shop securities gateways.

i tried with different silicon tips that came with my sony mobile and i managed a better seal with one and it improved the SQ quite a bit. especially the lower end. but separation is still poor when there are a few things going on in the music.
one other thing I've noticed, during calls the mic tend to pick up higher pitch noises. such as plastic bag handling/bird screeching/ wind noises to the point of being a major distraction for the caller on the other end. with "hear-through" function it kinda does the same thing, picking up higher frequency noises.

Don't think they are the right TWE for me. i'll definitely try out the LIVEIQ with ANC from nuheara when it's out in a month or so.

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #1,364 of 62,751
I just got my first pair of TWS IEMs yesterday.

For those who don’t recognise my profile, I come from real flagship IEMs like the 64 Audio Tia Fourte, the Dita Dream, Hifiman RE-2000 among many others. So yes I had my doubts about the sound quality of TWI earphones.

The first one I tried was the 65t, fit great, solid connection, and while sound was decent it wasn’t quite my thing. Not enough definition and a little too woolly.

Now the first TWS earphone that made me actually want to jump on board the wireless train, was the E8. Loved the sound and fit, but the battery life wasn’t remarkable and they were expensive. The highs got a tad hot too and no matter how I tip rolled, I could not get it to sound better, it only got worse.

So a week ago my Friend introduced me to the Havit G1.

https://www.prohavit.com/g1-series-tws-true-wireless-earbuds/

If you hunt around you can get them real cheap, I got mine for 75 SGD which is basically under 50 USD.

How does it sound? On stock tips they were good, not as good as the B&O but certainly on jabra’s level. But I switched the tips out to the JVC spiral dots and Low and behold, it was night and day. I would pick this over the E8 SONICALLY any day. Bass is strong, but across the spectrum with the right tips, the tonality is spot on. Resolution and separation, layering is remarkable for a TWS earphone.

Now it isnt perfect. No bells and whistles. No capacitative controls (they’re physical buttons so I would never use them), mic sucks, no multi pairing, sound far from the best on stock tips, and batt life is very average on the IEM at 3.5h, no hear through for safety when outdoors.

But on the flip side, for 50-70USD you get some of the best (best to my ears) TWS SQ, great fit and isolation, 18h extra batt life in the case, fantastic build quality only found in products 2-3 times its price (charging light on IEMs that pulsate while charging in case, and case that has a glowing logo when charging, magnetic placement of IEMs into case, and beautiful charging case).

It’s a basic TWS earphone, but it does the job so well.

I would STRONGLY recommend anyone looking for a wireless IEM to give this a shot. It’s that good.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #1,365 of 62,751

the Jabra's fit is more like custom IEM, hard plastic contacting the ear... it does get painful for me. i much prefer the Wf-1000x fit. i wish the Jabra can easily use regular aftermarket eartips.

on the subject of ANC, the sony works, but just slightly. the Jabra's passive noise blocking is better.

but the way the sony's sound, it can play music with lower volume and still can deliver good detail on noisy environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back