Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 24, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #451 of 63,208
I got a second pair from the same place (Best Buy) and it has the same issue, albeit with maybe a 10% improvement. I had my wife try them since her head is about an inch narrower and she had fewer complaints but said it was annoying just the same. Those who have functional pairs, where did you procure them? Thanks!

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #452 of 63,208
I got mine from best buy here in Secaucus new jersey. What phone are you using I'm running a Samsung note 8 with nougat. Waiting for Oreo to be released supposed be able to do better bluetooth codecs.

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #453 of 63,208
I got a second pair from the same place (Best Buy) and it has the same issue, albeit with maybe a 10% improvement. I had my wife try them since her head is about an inch narrower and she had fewer complaints but said it was annoying just the same. Those who have functional pairs, where did you procure them? Thanks!

I’m really surprised. The Jabra Elite Sport has a superb connection. I had one dropout in 6 weeks when I was walking through a metal detector. Other than that - zero issues.
Possibly a bluetooth issue with your phone?

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #454 of 63,208
I got mine from best buy here in Secaucus new jersey. What phone are you using I'm running a Samsung note 8 with nougat. Waiting for Oreo to be released supposed be able to do better bluetooth codecs.

I'm on an iPhone8 - I tried my wife's iPhone 6+ but it did exactly the same thing. I think I'll try the Sport instead, maybe I'll have better luck. I do think it's just bad luck though. Perhaps this batch has an issue. Stinks!

Mar 25, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #456 of 63,208
I'm on an iPhone8 - I tried my wife's iPhone 6+ but it did exactly the same thing. I think I'll try the Sport instead, maybe I'll have better luck. I do think it's just bad luck though. Perhaps this batch has an issue. Stinks!

I’m very happy with the Sport as a total package. Rock solid connection, good fit (as long as you follow the instructions and don’t twist and insert too deep), heart rate monitor, good sport app, good battery. I get a total of approx. 15 hrs with the charging case. Overall I’m pretty happy with Sport.

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #457 of 63,208
I have found one issue with my Sport though, it’s minor but worth mentioning; the charging case has 3 leds, green - fully charged, yellow, and red.
My other pair would go green, then yellow around 60% and then red around 20%.
This one goes green until 10% and then yellow and that’s it. Even when empty it never changes to red, only when plugged in and charging.
Overall I’m getting approx 15-16 from the IEMs and charging case together so it’s not a showstopper. I will contact Jabra next week to see what can be done.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #458 of 63,208
is there any way to tell if its really the same set?
Good question. It's possible for example that PSB licensed out the physical parts but maybe these use different drivers. So they might look the same and use the same bt parts they could sound different. I would think an email to PSB would get you an answer.

Mar 25, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #459 of 63,208
You should try and use the jabra 65t on an android phone just to see if it still malfunctions.

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #460 of 63,208

I have had my 65t for exactly a month now. I have travelled extensively throughout this past month and have used the 65t in airplanes (10 times), railways (1 time), subway / metro (multiple times), cars (during long distance drives), 2 different gyms, home, and office. I have noticed that the connection is perfect everywhere except in the following places:
  1. In my office cubicle, which is right in the middle of the building on ground floor and is infested with 12 different wifi routers and 2 different cordless phones sitting next to me. Here my left earbud keeps disconnecting no matter what position my head is in. No issue for me as I don't wear it while I am in my office.
  2. In the subway (metro) but ONLY when it is running underground AND I am sitting next to the window, the left earbud keeps dropping connection and I have to tilt my head in multiple directions to figure out in which position the connection remains. While underground and when I am sitting in the aisle seat or standing in the aisle, the left earbud only occasionally drops connection (once in a minute or so). When the metro is running above ground, the connection remains rock solid. I now don't sit next to the window.
  3. Once during a flight, when I was sitting in the exit row, next to the window, I noticed that the left earbud started dropping connection for a brief period of 10-15 minutes. No idea why. Maybe a lot of people around me started using their bluetooth earphones around that time. This has only happened once and that too for a very short period of time in the last 10 times that I have been airborne.
I replaced my UE Super.Fi 5 Pro that served me for over 10 years with the Bose Soundsport Free before settling for the Jabra 65t. And although the Bose SSF had much superior sound quality compared to the 65t, that sucker was dropping connection left, right, and center to the point that it was completely unusable. I tried 2 different sets of Bose without any luck. Jabra 65t on the other hand has been completely trouble free 99% of the time and I have now learned to live with its slightly muddied sound quality.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the supplier silicon tips are not very good. With the UE, I was using the medium size tips and I could get a good seal with ease every time. With the 65t, the medium tips are too small and even the big size tips don't go deep enough, and therefore it's hard to get a good seal. I tried using the tips that came with my UE Super.fi5 Pro and a few others sourced locally (haven't tried comply yet), and while the fit gets sorted out I have noticed the following:

• the stem of the eartip does not lock very well with the earbuds and therefore sometimes the tip detaches from the earbud and remains inside my ear while taking the earbud out of my ear
  • the case does not close because the eartips are deeper/longer than the stock tips

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #461 of 63,208
im running my sony wf1000x and noticed im only getting about 2 hours, is that normal I thought I was supposed to be 3 hours run time? its too bad because they sound so good.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #462 of 63,208
ATTENTION
I DID NOT SEE THIS ANYWHERE IN THE INSTRUCTIONS, MAKE SURE WHEN YOU OPEN THE CASE OF YOUR JABRA ELITE 65T YOU SQUEEZE THE SIDES OF THE CASE WITH YOUR POINTER FINGER AND THUMB TO HELP RELEASE LID WITH YOUR FINGERNAIL, IT MAKES IT MUCH EASIER TO OPEN, DO NOT JUST FORCE IT OPEN WITH YOUR FINGER NAIL. I THINK THIS PART COULD WEAR OUT OVER TIME FORCING IT OPEN AGAIN AND AGAIN.

The sound signature of the Jabra elite sport and Jabra elite 65t are different. Jabra elite sport is more powerful and hard hitting, stronger bass I think. The Jabra elite 65t still have lots of bass but not has hard hitting, it has more composer and finesse but still very nice. the sound is very open and lots of separation compared to my other headphones, my Sony wf1000x sound similar in this department. these do get very loud no issues there. the 65t build is much lighter than the heavy duty build of Jabra elite sport. the 65t fit is looser and doesn't go in your canal as deep as the sport elite but they don't fall out either where the elite sport goes deep and the fins lock you in. the features on the 65t are very nice in the app, one feature lets you choose to auto pause the music when you remove ear buds or not, this is nice because I am burning them in some and checking battery life so I let them play non stop. you also have a full eq that works, nice. If I have one little niggle about this set is they are a little hard to grab and they are very slippery coming out of the case and a little weird to put back in the case, they don't just fall in place like others buds I have, you have to play with it to get them in correctly, with practice it should get easier. maybe a little texture or rubberized finish would help here. I haven't tried out any calls yet that's nextmy list. one weird thing happened this morning I was listening to them extensively last night and this morning they would not connect or pair with my phone, I had to redo the whole blue tooth pairing process again. Another little thing I wish it was all black, I like the stealth look...

If you just press in slightly with your thumb after inserting your fingernail, the top opens easily. I find that slightly easier and more effective than squeezing the sides.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #463 of 63,208
Wireless still has a long way to go. In order to make something wireless, we need

1/ a DAC that is of high quality and dedicated with the lowest noises possible
2/ amplification sections that is powerful enough, driven efficiently so battery is not an issue
3/ Battery safety and storage compartment
4/ Ventilation to minimizes resonances, and sound tunning
5/ DSP
We can take away the #5 if they buy into the mainstream features such as LdAC or AptX-HD....etc....Even at desktop category, DAC and Amplifiers are both having a hard time to meet all the requirement to be dedicated and high-end without costing and arm and legs. Therefore, to minimizes it and cramped it into everything for wireless...,it would be horribly expensive, and even so, we are still not there yet.

The only technology that is getting so close is Direct Digital Drive , which Audio Technica has released 2 Bluetooth over the ears headphones (9Bt and 7BT). It essentially combined DAC+Amplifications+Drivers into a 1 package. There is no conventional DAC or Amp system in itself. This technology will be the Limit breaking technology for wireless headphones or IEMS, and at cost. But it makes it more viable than conventional system, and everyone can buy into this technology to develope their own wireless. It just a matter of time, but we are still not there yet

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #464 of 63,208
I have had my 65t for exactly a month now. I have travelled extensively throughout this past month and have used the 65t in airplanes (10 times), railways (1 time), subway / metro (multiple times), cars (during long distance drives), 2 different gyms, home, and office. I have noticed that the connection is perfect everywhere except in the following places:
  1. In my office cubicle, which is right in the middle of the building on ground floor and is infested with 12 different wifi routers and 2 different cordless phones sitting next to me. Here my left earbud keeps disconnecting no matter what position my head is in. No issue for me as I don't wear it while I am in my office.
  2. In the subway (metro) but ONLY when it is running underground AND I am sitting next to the window, the left earbud keeps dropping connection and I have to tilt my head in multiple directions to figure out in which position the connection remains. While underground and when I am sitting in the aisle seat or standing in the aisle, the left earbud only occasionally drops connection (once in a minute or so). When the metro is running above ground, the connection remains rock solid. I now don't sit next to the window.
  3. Once during a flight, when I was sitting in the exit row, next to the window, I noticed that the left earbud started dropping connection for a brief period of 10-15 minutes. No idea why. Maybe a lot of people around me started using their bluetooth earphones around that time. This has only happened once and that too for a very short period of time in the last 10 times that I have been airborne.
I replaced my UE Super.Fi 5 Pro that served me for over 10 years with the Bose Soundsport Free before settling for the Jabra 65t. And although the Bose SSF had much superior sound quality compared to the 65t, that sucker was dropping connection left, right, and center to the point that it was completely unusable. I tried 2 different sets of Bose without any luck. Jabra 65t on the other hand has been completely trouble free 99% of the time and I have now learned to live with its slightly muddied sound quality.

When I opened the Jabra Sound+ app today on my iphone there was an update available for the Elite 65t's, which brought the software from version 2.1.0 all the way up to version 2.6.0. (It actually incorporated two updates.) Between the two updates, the release notes indicate both improved sound and improved connectivity. Since updating, I've noticed that in the one area where wifi routers seemed to be causing left earbud dropouts (unfortunately, that's at my desk) there are now no more dropouts. Also the sound seems a bit deeper and fuller (but I need to listen a bit more to confirm that). I was hoping this update would bring Alexa to IOS, but it didn't. I guess that feature is still "coming soon." All in all, I love these earphones.

I also have the Jabra Elite Actives, and, as many people have been saying, I've had trouble getting a good fit with the supplied tips. I've been using the large Spin Fit tips and that works well -- but I had to cut a bit off the tips' stems to get them to fit in the case -- and, even with that kludge, the case doesn't close perfectly. It's a shame, because the Elite Sports are great earphones too.

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #465 of 63,208
Did this update automatically?I'm on android and i still see the older firmware.

I just wanted to give an update on my usage, took the jabra 65t to downtown Newark, to a very busy nike outlet store with lots of interference, no drop outs. Went to gym 3 days in a row, great no drop outs. Sound quality is very good, very deep bass. Made a few phone calls no problems loud and clear on both ends. Battery lasts crazy long. This is a great headset, I think we finally have an acceptable true wireless headset. If I had to gripe about something its that the exterior is very slippery pulling out of case, I think I might want the active version when its released. Right now my top true wireless in ears are the jabra elite 65t, jabra elite sport, and my Samsung iconx 2018.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back