Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 20, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #62,041 of 62,417
I am bored, so did an AB comparison between the MP-20TWS and the Oneplus Buds 3 using Aqualung by Jethro Tull.

These both have very similar treble and bass, Cymbals and bass guitars have very similar tonality and presence. But wow is the midrange different! The MP is much more forward and in your face. The Oneplus is not recessed it just isnt as in your face or sharp. If you like lots of edge and detail the MP delivers in spades. But if you prefer a softer more airy vocal the Oneplus is the better choice. I like both but do find the MP a bit more fatiguing and not one I like at higher volume levels (not that I listen at anything near true high volume levels). So, if you want your music to have more vibrancy at low listening levels the MP is a great choice. But if you want a bit more space in your music and drift to higher volumes I would take the Oneplus over the MP.

Comfort is an easy win for the Oneplus due to its stem style. But the MP while it sticks out alot is not terrible for comfort either.

If you can find a good price on the MP these are a wash for cost. But at normal MSRP the MP is almost twice the cost...

Both offer great sound quality that cater to slightly different audiophile tastes.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #62,042 of 62,417
The AZ80s beat the EX on call quality as well. I only initially tested the EX with calls due to occlusion with the ambient mode being no existent. My coworker said the 80s sounded really good, and just "not bad" with the EX. *note that I tested the EX a while back when I got them new and did not do a side by side. The insertion depth to me was where Technics made the best comfort improvement over the 60s. The 80s are not as shallow as the EX, but they don't require tunneling into your ear canal to fit properly. Multipoint is more robust on the AZ80s, the app is much better with much more control over the TWS (i.e. customized tapping) and a more controllable EQ. Battery life is a couple hours better on the 80s as well. Not knocking the EX at all though as they are very good in terms of quality, warranty, SQ, etc. I just simply have found the 80s more to my liking since I bought them. One additional note if you use an Android wifi media player - I have not been able to find the B&O app in the Google play store. B&O support could never answer that question for me. It's the same on all three of my Walkmans, so I don't use them with those devices.
That does complicate things. One thing I'm not a fan of on the Ex are the stems that stick out. It might hit the pillow if used lying down

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #62,043 of 62,417
Found out the Galaxy buds2 don’t have an IOS app, so took them back unopened to Target. Too bad, I wanted to check AKG’s tuning, but I will only pick up TWS with a compatible app. I get it, Samsung and Apple are locked in combat. Maybe an App2, but I ain’t getting those for 75 bucks.

Apr 21, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #62,044 of 62,417
Found out the Galaxy buds2 don’t have an IOS app, so took them back unopened to Target. Too bad, I wanted to check AKG’s tuning, but I will only pick up TWS with a compatible app. I get it, Samsung and Apple are locked in combat. Maybe an App2, but I ain’t getting those for 75 bucks.
I experienced the same bad surprise when I bought the first galaxy buds ... after the buds live i though that of course those would also be supported in the iOS app (there IS an app just for the buds live!) but when they did not show up, I accused the seller of 'fake' .. until some duly googling revealed that indeed there is no iOS support .. and that was over 3 years ago, so I guess that has not changed ...
Well, i keep a cheap Android phone around for cases like that :D

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #62,045 of 62,417
That does complicate things. One thing I'm not a fan of on the Ex are the stems that stick out. It might hit the pillow if used lying down
If you don't like the stems, they won't work for you. I fall asleep with the EX in my ears, not intentionally, but drift off. I have always said the Technics were one of the most complete packages, but they failed to excite me with their sq. kind of uneventful. Also, you won't sleep with the Technics in your ears, quite large. The ANC is better in the Technics, but still middle of the pack. Amazon has a good return policy, all I can say is try them. I can't recall the call quality on the AZ80, but I have no issue with the call quality on the EX. I am not sure which B&O app @BooleanBones is referring to. Obviously, this is my opinion only and sq is one of my most important features. I also like the fact they are waterproof; I accidentally forgot I had them in my ears at the pool and went under the water. I came up and panicked, but they were fine.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #62,046 of 62,417
I am not sure which B&O app @BooleanBones is referring to.
Just the standard Bang and Olufsen headphone app. On an Android media player (Sony Walkman), it says "this app won't work for your device" in the Play store. I have gotten the same result across multiple Walkmans/headphones now dating back to when I had the H95 and EQs. Support opened a defect ticket and I have never gotten an answer. I checked this morning and still the same result. If someone has it running on an Android media player (not phone), I would be interested in knowing how they did it. It would give me a point to reference with support.

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #62,047 of 62,417
Just the standard Bang and Olufsen headphone app. On an Android media player (Sony Walkman), it says "this app won't work for your device" in the Play store. I have gotten the same result across multiple Walkmans/headphones now dating back to when I had the H95 and EQs. Support opened a defect ticket and I have never gotten an answer. I checked this morning and still the same result. If someone has it running on an Android media player (not phone), I would be interested in knowing how they did it. It would give me a point to reference with support.
I have it running on the Hiby R6iii, but I don't own a Sony so I can't try it. Let me try it.on one of my AK players, as they have that modified Android system.

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #62,049 of 62,417
On a separate note, TWS boredom is real. I ahe. Liberty 4 NC coming today.
Liberty 4 NC are a great choice for TWS boredom. Top fun stuff and easy to pass on to someone else.

But anyone afflicted with TWSB must try the Aviot ZX1. Full stop. The caveat being do not bother if you have small, narrowish ears. My sister tried and they are a no-go. However, if you are in the states, they should be very easy to resell if you don't mind taking a small loss or just breaking even.

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #62,050 of 62,417
Liberty 4 NC are a great choice for TWS boredom. Top fun stuff and easy to pass on to someone else.

But anyone afflicted with TWSB must try the Aviot ZX1. Full stop. The caveat being do not bother if you have small, narrowish ears. My sister tried and they are a no-go. However, if you are in the states, they should be very easy to resell if you don't mind taking a small loss or just breaking even.
They already arrived....these tips are very soft. Do you have a recommendation for tips?

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #62,053 of 62,417
Bose QC II are gems in that I can use the built in EQ, finally Bose, and now set them to my preference. I’m amazed at the sound quality with full NC activated; this is a great achievement. For the first time I was able to sit in a coffee shop and hear everything in the music (Eagles hits), with the volume set low. In contrast, I had to over double the volume with my new AirPods 3rd gen to hear the same detail. Yes, the Apple doesn’t have NC, but this was the biggest difference I’ve seen yet.
Hears to good hearing health to all. 👍

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #62,054 of 62,417

Are the ZX1 going to come out in a regular edition, preferably one that is not red or pink at all. Those are two of my least favorite colors and while I don't try to use TWS as a fashion statement, I just really don't like those colors and don't want to wear those colors. I own no clothing in either of those colors :) It's a thin red line with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back