Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 1, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #60,722 of 62,460
It is a combination of things controlling the bass, volume etc when implementing xmem drivers.

Pulling the potential out of an xmem isn't a simple task and in some respects this is like flying to the moon. Sure it can be done & has been done, but it hasn't been perfected and stream lined.

But on paper, the speed and stability xmems can offer simply dominate.
Hence the nozzle width change as stated by someone here?

Edit:
I'm asking about the shape and potential volume change

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #60,723 of 62,460
Hence the nozzle width change as stated by someone here?

The metal nozle I guess in some respects will assist in sound, but the main purpose was to make the build process more stable & the more stable results the faster the build & less qc problems. This makes everyone happy, from employees, assembly team distributors, customers etc.

The nozle is cnc, the drivers can only be mounted in a specif way, which eliminates guess work and decreases the skills required to assemble.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Mar 1, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #60,724 of 62,460
It is a combination of things controlling the bass, volume etc when implementing xmem drivers.

Pulling the potential out of an xmem isn't a simple task and in some respects this is like flying to the moon. Sure it can be done & has been done, but it hasn't been perfected and stream lined.

But on paper, the speed and stability xmems can offer simply dominate.
Oh oh oh before I forget, how do xMEMS sound (by ear) in isolation? What's the difference between them and say DDs or BAs (or whatnot)

Mar 1, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #60,725 of 62,460
Ha!! Only because they can’t upgrade a TWS with a $4,200 cable. Imagine the incredible sound difference if you could.
Yeah, not really picking on them, they enjoy what they do. 👍
The cable stuff is crazy to me too. The most I've spent on a cable is $200. And I felt a bit guilty. But I do believe there are some slight differences between copper and silver, I just think after a certain point, that comes fast, you are paying for marketing and hype. Spending 1K on a cable, let alone more, to me is an utter waste. Better off spending it on actual IEM's or TWS or DACS

Mar 1, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #60,726 of 62,460
The cable stuff is crazy to me too. The most I've spent on a cable is $200. And I felt a bit guilty. But I do believe there are some slight differences between copper and silver, I just think after a certain point, that comes fast, you are paying for marketing and hype. Spending 1K on a cable, let alone more, to me is an utter waste. Better off spending it on actual IEM's or TWS or DACS
What wireless wires sound best?

Joking aside, what sort of difference can anyone hear comparing BT codecs? General question

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #60,727 of 62,460

Attachments

• 1709332824196.gif
    1709332824196.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 1, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #60,728 of 62,460
The metal nozle I guess in some respects will assist in sound, but the main purpose was to make the build process more stable & the more stable results the faster the build & less qc problems. This makes everyone happy, from employees, assembly team distributors, customers etc.

The nozle is cnc, the drivers can only be mounted in a specif way, which eliminates guess work and decreases the skills required to assemble.
Interesting! Thank you! So the nozzle update is mostly to keep everything in order rather the tuning itself?

Mar 1, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #60,729 of 62,460
What wireless wires sound best?

Joking aside, what sort of difference can anyone hear comparing BT codecs? General question

With wired cans I can hear the difference between just about lossless flac on Tidal and 320kbps MP3 on Spotify. It really depends on the recording. Some recordings the higher res just had a ton of annoying noise in the higher frequencies. I literally preferred the more compressed file.

For most of my listening at home the Spotify stuff is fine, and on the go it's way more than fine. Sometimes at home on the LCD-X I like to listen to some high res.

I could give a crap about lossless on the go. Whatever I have that uses AptX HD is what I go with when I'm using Bluetooth anything, even if they support LDAC (which the P8Pro supports also).

Mar 1, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #60,730 of 62,460
Oh oh oh before I forget, how do xMEMS sound (by ear) in isolation? What's the difference between them and say DDs or BAs (or whatnot)

Stability, speed & precision that's the calling card of an xmem.

Regarding Stability, they test within less than 1 dB.

BA, while it is fast, they take up more space and they test within 5dB of the given manufacturer data sheet. That means they have 5dB of output variance out of the box, due to this, building a set that test within 2 dB is a challenge, building a set that test within less than 1 dB is a unicorn.

Dd will have a slower decay, which some like as they feel it gives "drums" a more realistic sound.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Mar 1, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #60,733 of 62,460
For the 1K range I'm in love with the CA Bonneville
Bonneville by all reports is pretty awesome.

I think I see where you're coming from, it sounds like you enjoy some of the unique house tuning from brands like CA whereas on the majority of tws brands are going for a very similar tuning style and not carving out their own 'sound'.

Due to the nature of IEMs and the number of manufacturers you're defs gonna get more variety across sound signatures.

However you get that to in tws as well. The Denon PerL is completely unique even when pitted against iems that are $4000. It's processing gives it a bigger soundstage than the Noble KK. And it's lower bass thump allows you to really drive it loud without fatigue.

The Final ZE8000 has a one of a kind signature I haven't heard elsewhere and of course we have Noble making tws as well.

Sure there are less of them, but all sound better than the (for some reason) much heralded Simgot, Timeless and Truthear brands that are only popular because reviewers can fall back on the ol "the price these can't be beaten", well yea, they're going for $13 but does that mean a free airpod V1 found on the side of road is the best value product you can get?

Also the above mentioned IEMs are boring Harman tuned variations.

But yea, as you hit 1K you get cool brands doing cool things like Noble, CA and the others.

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #60,734 of 62,460
I can do you better for $500 if you like bass. FatFreq Mastero Mini!
How does it drive out of a mobile device though?

As far as I've heard Noble is the only manufacturer who makes this somewhat of a priority. I won't touch a product that requires me to use a DAP or DAC to get the most out of it (Electrostatic drivers being the exception because they're so awesome).

In my opinion, if Noble can make the KK with all of its drivers sound good (and loud) out of a mobile device, then a $30 or $500 iem should be able to as well. At a certain point it's the DAP that sounds good and not the iem.

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #60,735 of 62,460
Bonneville by all reports is pretty awesome.

I think I see where you're coming from, it sounds like you enjoy some of the unique house tuning from brands like CA whereas on the majority of tws brands are going for a very similar tuning style and not carving out their own 'sound'.

Due to the nature of IEMs and the number of manufacturers you're defs gonna get more variety across sound signatures.

However you get that to in tws as well. The Denon PerL is completely unique even when pitted against iems that are $4000. It's processing gives it a bigger soundstage than the Noble KK. And it's lower bass thump allows you to really drive it loud without fatigue.

The Final ZE8000 has a one of a kind signature I haven't heard elsewhere and of course we have Noble making tws as well.

Sure there are less of them, but all sound better than the (for some reason) much heralded Simgot, Timeless and Truthear brands that are only popular because reviewers can fall back on the ol "the price these can't be beaten", well yea, they're going for $13 but does that mean a free airpod V1 found on the side of road is the best value product you can get?

Also the above mentioned IEMs are boring Harman tuned variations.

But yea, as you hit 1K you get cool brands doing cool things like Noble, CA and the others.

Have you heard the Bonneville? It's not some unique sound signature. It's more of a great all-rounder on the warmer fun organic tip with great bass, but also good across the spectrum. Just because CA has made some more unique tunings, does not make every one of their IEM's some very unique house tuning. They are IEM's you can throw on and not worry much about where your playlist goes. This is not a Trifecta.

I also disagree that the only thing that happens in the wired IEM world is just different unique sound signatures when you spend some money. I think a lot of us want great all rounders. I'm not talking about show off money like the Watercooler thread peeps, I'm talking I want to have a few IEM, but I want my best to be a fantastic all rounder. Not some boutique tuning. Sometimes you are just paying for higher quality fundamentals. Of course there are big points of diminishing returns. Once you get to the 1 to low 1K range you are most of the way there, then it becomes far more incremental.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back