Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 10, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #58,651 of 62,573
I've only tried them wired, but tbo wasn't very impressed. Not much of an upgrade from my even older K3003, still that slightly spiky / metallic sounding BA treble. For example, the DD + planar Oppo Enco X2 have much more refined / natural sounding treble to my ears. Jm2c.
I recall them being a fairly big deal several years ago. I guess we will how they fare against tws. If the BT cable isn’t great would something like a BTR5 be an improvement?

Dec 10, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #58,652 of 62,573
I recall them being a fairly big deal several years ago. I guess we will how they fare against tws. If the BT cable isn’t great would something like a BTR5 be an improvement?
Although TWS has come a long was, I suspect these will still show a significant gap, even with the HIFIMAN’s.. it’ll be a great comparison..

Dec 10, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #58,653 of 62,573
Dec 10, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #58,654 of 62,573
I was having new product bliss when I commended the pixel buds pro sq as being better than decent. They don't, and only sound their best at much higher volumes than other good tws.

But the mTW3 are still amazing. That's what I'm using these days on mass transit in NYC. Love them, hoping the 4 are a nice upgrade having a nice journey with them now

Dec 10, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #58,655 of 62,573
Well my son has better hearing than me and more sense...

I sold some gear and asked if he wanted a new headphone. He was excited about a new headphone. What did he want? He has been using a pair of ATHMX50BT for 5 years... I suggested Sennheiser Sony, Soundcore. He said I want a new pair of ATHMX50BT2 because they last...

So here is his Christmas present... I thought he might like the blue color...

BTW I have a pair of Soundcore Space One and these sound much better. There is a reason the MX50 have been around forever...
1702258859555.png

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #58,656 of 62,573
Well my son has better hearing than me and more sense...

I sold some gear and asked if he wanted a new headphone. He was excited about a new headphone. What did he want? He has been using a pair of ATHMX50BT for 5 years... I suggested Sennheiser Sony, Soundcore. He said I want a new pair of ATHMX50BT2 because they last...

So here is his Christmas present... I thought he might like the blue color...

BTW I have a pair of Soundcore Space One and these sound much better. There is a reason the MX50 have been around forever...
1702258859555.png
First pair of earphones were Audio Technicas. Wired with a built in battery box for ANC.

Guess they started this whole thing for me.

Dec 11, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #58,659 of 62,573
Any impressions on the new Bose Earbuds Ultra? I have read reviews from RTings and SoundGuys, both being quite positive. However, I am not completely persuaded by the frequency response curve. I'd like to hear some thoughts. I have the Sports, and I find them very comfortable for running and exercising, so the ultra IEMs seem a good option for an upgrade.

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #58,660 of 62,573
Any impressions on the new Bose Earbuds Ultra? I have read reviews from RTings and SoundGuys, both being quite positive. However, I am not completely persuaded by the frequency response curve. I'd like to hear some thoughts. I have the Sports, and I find them very comfortable for running and exercising, so the ultra IEMs seem a good option for an upgrade.
I don't but the search function is actually pretty decent on here:

https://www.head-fi.org/search/15785626/?q=Bose+ultra&t=post&c[thread]=861024&o=relevance

Dec 11, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #58,661 of 62,573
Hi,

I own a Samsung s23 Ultra so I need a TWS which can handle the LDAC Bluetooth Codec. A already have the:
- Sony WF-1000XM5
- Technics EAH-AZ80
- Huawei Freebuds Pro 3

I don't need another cheap TWS. I only looking for one which is better than the three mentioned above....

I know I have high expectations because I already owned the :
- Noble Audio Mystique
- B&O EX
- Campfire Orbit
..........and so on

But now I have a Samsung Phone which don't support aptx Codecs...

Maybe someone can give a Recommendation?

Dec 11, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #58,662 of 62,573
Hi,

I own a Samsung s23 Ultra so I need a TWS which can handle the LDAC Bluetooth Codec. A already have the:
- Sony WF-1000XM5
- Technics EAH-AZ80
- Huawei Freebuds Pro 3

I don't need another cheap TWS. I only looking for one which is better than the three mentioned above....

- Noble Audio Mystique
- B&O EX
- Campfire Orbit
..........and so on

Maybe get the new Noble Falcon Max once its released?

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #58,663 of 62,573
Hi,

- Sony WF-1000XM5
- Technics EAH-AZ80
- Huawei Freebuds Pro 3

- Noble Audio Mystique
- B&O EX
- Campfire Orbit
..........and so on

I own and use 1000XM5 and Az80 ... none of them can compete with BT headphones like EAH-A800 concerning ANC, that is by a huge margin.

And, as I am in a TGV right now, comparing some of myvstuff, I can even compare and say that both of them can't be compared for sound quality with my prefered portable combo for Qobuz which is NW-WM1A + IER-Z1R in BT receiver mode, though this combo doesn't provide any ANC.
I use for my BT comparison a ZFOLD5 as source for QobUZ in the train (online and offline playlists)

I am afraid there is still a long way to go for qound quality and even ANC for TWS. They are really convinient outdoor but a full step behind for high sound quallity and ANC.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #58,664 of 62,573
Maybe get the new Noble Falcon Max once its released?
Thank you! Did you know when it will be released in Europe? There are not much information about it...
I own and use 1000XM5 and Az80 ... none of them can compete with BT headphones like EAH-A800 concerning ANC, that is by a huge margin.
I think you are right. I don't expect soundquality as wired compos. I think the best sounding TWS which i heard were the Noble Audio Mystique BUT:

-they don't fit me well (they are one of the bigger ones and because of the shape)

-and don't have ANC...(for Gym I need it even I hate it....)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #58,665 of 62,573
For me...
Pro's
Comfort, battery life, noise cancelling prowess, what bass was present was tight

Cons
Sub-bass response was weak, Spatial audio was distracting (1s delay when moving head in either mode) which when working in a double-monitor i found it constantly chasing the sound around. No wireless charging (considering this is on £30 buds this was unforgivable to charge extra for wireless case)

Overall i prefer other options for the musical side. If ANC is #1 for you then they're worth it
They're not "ultra" they're barely QCII + 0.5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back