Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 14, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #54,301 of 62,573
well 2 days later than advertised the FW3 arrived. Out of the box it took me less than 5 minutes to connect them and update the FW to .5 so am testing using LDAC set to 990. So far these might be one of the best pure sound TWS I have tried in this price bracket! I have not had much time to do anything aside from listen to music while sitting and working. They are big but very comfortable. I have to stutters so far which if I am honest is about as good as any TWS I have tried using LDAC at 990 as that seems to push everything to the limit., scratch that... 3 stutters... :). I will see how they handle going for a walk using 990 and report back. I want to say this was EXPECTED as my experience using 990 is that its just to much strain. On my older S20 it was so bad I could NEVER use that high a bitrate and while my Fold 4 is MUCH better, I still experience stutters, just not so bad that I want to pull my hair out... LOL.

The signature is a bit on the warm side compared to the AZ80 which has been my main go to lately. It a really nice sound though, will be doing more extensive testing with some of my go tracks when I have more time.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #54,303 of 62,573
You guys are tempting me on those Denon Pros. Just how big are they in ear? The pictures look like they are huge compared to most TWS nowadays, is that case or am I looking at small headed folks? @erockg still having fit issues with them?
Yes, the fit issues were driving me nuts, no matter how much I loved the sound. They have grown wings and flown back to Denon. Hopefully, the next gen (if there is one).

They’re not big IN the ear, it’s just the disc on the outside.

Jul 14, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #54,304 of 62,573
My phone only does APTx no adaptive or even HD (stupid Samsung...). So will have settle with LDAC. So far it's darn nice though! I paid $85 for these... they sound as good as most of my top ANC buds...

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #54,305 of 62,573
Do not judge them on a half-baked shoehorned LDAC BETA FW, you ideally (if you do not have a Snapdragon Phone as stated), test with aptX Adaptive at 24/96 IMO it sounds far better.
Tried the manual firmware update on my FW5. Sounds better with LDAC than Aptx Adaptive 860kbps 24/96. My FW5 get maxed out 990kbps 32/96 flawlessly

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #54,307 of 62,573
No Fiio FW5 firmware update? I've been on 1.26 since I bought them right after the release...
Edit: I see now there's 1.52, but in the app it says I'm on the latest firmware already with 1.26... :/
Edit2: Nevermind :) Found a newer link with description, and saw you need to use "Local upgrade". Updating AWS...

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #54,308 of 62,573
Jul 14, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #54,309 of 62,573
Also have the Azla Crystal eartips on my Bose QCII's right now, kinda makes the sound a bit more natural in a way. Slightly less sub-bass, mids seem more forward, slight loss of 3-dimensionality, but not that huge of a difference.
I've been curious how 3rd party tips would go with the QCII's. This has tempted my curiosity.

This post mimics my experience. Reading a lot and learning a lot here. I also juggle budgets between different hobbies. So totally understand. Upgraded from CAMT to APP2 and from Rai Solo to Advar. Wishing to upgrade from THX Onyx to Mojo2. Still use the Aonic 50 aiming for the upgrade to PX8 (or whatever is similarly good at the time I go there). Could be better but can’t complain at all so far.

Everyone’s presence is relevant, I believe. The more democratic opinions, the better.

People with severe GAS are the staples of course. I always read their opinions attentively. Also my after breakfast routine, although now I’m obliged to go to the office 3 days a week, that’s why I keep getting 10 pages backlog... a treat.

Still looking at the new DPP, but other priorities unfortunately trump this.

Oh well.
It's nice to be assured I'm not alone but I definitely didn't feel like I was, and that the intrigue and evolution in this thread would surely have many like you and me, peering in from the sidelines. And it's likely to grow in the time to come.

What's the bet this thread grows into one of the biggest out there in terms of technological audio discussions! 😜

Jul 14, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #54,310 of 62,573
I've been curious how 3rd party tips would go with the QCII's. This has tempted my curiosity.

It's nice to be assured I'm not alone but I definitely didn't feel like I was, and that the intrigue and evolution in this thread would surely have many like you and me, peering in from the sidelines. And it's likely to grow in the time to come.

What's the bet this thread grows into one of the biggest out there in terms of technological audio discussions! 😜
Third party tips do not work well with the QCII. You can get a bigger size via Bose and then I've dabbled in some adapters with foam tips I purchased from eBay, but they fell apart. Sadly, best tips imo for the Bose are the stock. I bought the bigger sizes and haven't looked back yet.

Jul 14, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #54,311 of 62,573
So I've been singing the praises of the Svanar for a couple of weeks. Well, using LDAC on my new pixel fold is a disaster. It will not work at all at 990. Cuts in an out the whole time. At 660 it's better but still significant cuts outs. Adaptive rate is ok but who wants that. Damn. I'm going to reach out to bloom to discuss.

Update - I was able to get a stable connection at 990. I had to leave my garage and go inside. Once inside it became stable then I went back to the garage and it worked fine. Strange. Sorry for the alarm bells.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #54,312 of 62,573
Well more testing with LDAC on the FW3 and the half baked comment is accurate for flakiness. They sound really good when they work, but I had issues with not connecting, weird noise issues (stop music and restart music and issue was gone) plus the occasional stutter.

So even though I only have APTx I have switched to that to see if it's more stable.

The default signature is a bit warmer than I like so I will play with EQ and see what I can tweak.

Definitely miss having ANC but also like the open sound quality as well. So more a trade off than anything.

Jul 15, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #54,313 of 62,573
1689396450650.png

Jul 15, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #54,314 of 62,573
So I've been singing the praises of the Svanar for a couple of weeks. Well, using LDAC on my new pixel fold is a disaster. It will not work at all at 990. Cuts in an out the whole time. At 660 it's better but still significant cuts outs. Adaptive rate is ok but who wants that. Damn. I'm going to reach out to bloom to discuss.

Update - I was able to get a stable connection at 990. I had to leave my garage and go inside. Once inside it became stable then I went back to the garage and it worked fine. Strange. Sorry for the alarm bells.
Don't settle in yet. You might get the cutouts again when connecting to your phone the next time. I tried many methods to better it but the cutout always came back eventually. Tried restarting my phone, turning off & on Bluetooth, messing with developer options, changing codecs and back to LDAC, etc. Would stabilize the Svanar for the duration of using them. Next usage, the stability on LDAC would cutout again. Wished they had Snapdragon Sound instead at least. Most likely could of prevented these issues it is getting with LDAC

Jul 15, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #54,315 of 62,573
Third party tips do not work well with the QCII. You can get a bigger size via Bose and then I've dabbled in some adapters with foam tips I purchased from eBay, but they fell apart. Sadly, best tips imo for the Bose are the stock. I bought the bigger sizes and haven't looked back yet.
Bummer, I had an inkling feeling this would have been the case due to the non-spherical shape of the speakers, which made me refrain from even looking into them to begin with.

The provided wing tips fit fine for me but I do wish there were an in-between of the small and medium tips! Or something a little longer to protrude into my ear canal at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back