Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 1, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #51,481 of 62,729
Sounds like a fit issue to me. That's always been the downside to IEMs, getting the right fit. I've had similar issues with using a tip that was too large for my ear. Have you tried using a different tip?
I think fit definitely has something to do with it - I have tried all of the tips it came with and can occasionally get a good seal and ok sound for a minute. The thing that is driving me a little nuts is that it's only about 10% of the time can I find the fit (only with the left) and I did not have this problem at all with my previous NFM set (had another issue).
I do not get the same issue with the R bud ever - it's just plug and play. The L one I cannot get to fit well and even when I finally do - it seems affected by opening my jaw or moving my head.
I'm leaning toward it being a vent of some sort in the earbud that is not working - not allowing the pressure to equalize. I'm going to keep playing around with them and clean my ears and whatnot before I return them, but it is odd to me that it is only the one bud, (which is also true if I put them in opposite ears). They sound clear (albeit not good) if I don't push it far enough in to seal.

Thanks for chiming in!

Mar 1, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #51,484 of 62,729
Anyone compare the Nura's to the FiiO FW5 as they may just be the best sounding TWS.

I had the MTW3 at launch which was the best sounding at that time IMO but cannot compare both now as due to launch bugs and tiny loose fit I returned them.
I have both Nura and FW5. The Nura is the option I find myself going towards more often. The bass and sub-bass is better and soundstage is the widest I've come across.

The Fiio can push mids and highs further forward (with the Nura it feels like the vocalist has taken a few steps back from the front of the stage) but it still feels like a stage. Pure rock concert, muddy electronic music, nightclub staging. The Fiio don't have that.

The Fiio has better clarity and seperation but the sound is thinner. I find myself using them for podcasts and the Nura for music.

The only caveat is the Nura's connection issue. Lots of cutouts if I take them outside for a run. But if this tells you anything; I still use the NTP for runs as the sounds is just so engaging. I just don't turn my head and don't get cutouts lol. For a treadmill or indoors gym I have never had connection issues.

I know you had connection issues with your Fiio so maybe that last point is null and void for you.

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #51,486 of 62,729
Anyone compare the Nura's to the FiiO FW5 as they may just be the best sounding TWS.

I had the MTW3 at launch which was the best sounding at that time IMO but cannot compare both now as due to launch bugs and tiny loose fit I returned them.
Well, I received my replacement Fokus Mystique and am having an odd issue with the left bud again - this time it feels as though 90% of the time when I put the earbud in there is a vacuum or pressure with the seal that prevents the DD from functioning - resulting in the feeling of much lower volume on that side. It has not happened once with the R bud and did not ever happen with my previous pair (which had a different issue).
I'm on the latest firmware, have re-paired and reset the buds 3x times - occasionally I can get lucky with the seal and they sound pretty good, but even then I feel like the audio changes if I move my head (e.g. if I tilt my head to the right the audio clears up, but then becomes muted if I stand straight up). Also, putting slight pressure/torsion on the bud seems to let it play normally (though this is not a workable solution).

A few questions for you all:
1) Do you think this may change with burn-in?
2) Is this due to a vent in the bud not functioning (that would equalize the pressure)?
3) Could this be related to my left ear just being off due to flying recently? (Tried my other earbuds and no issue)

Finally, for those of you with both the NFM and the Nuratrue Pro - which one delivers more bass/subbass (ideally listening to a bassy rap song with a good deal of sub bass)?
I'm deliberating between exchanging the NFM one more time, or getting the NTP to give them a spin. If you have any advice on the best route to go to get the NTP, please let me know. I tried the original Nura True and didn't love the buds shape or sound, but am tempted to give the NTP a go.

Thank you!
So both have great bass. I think nfm is better for bass- I listen to these at the gym with industrial and techno. I prefer the nuras for rock as the soundstage is crazy wide and I hear all kinds of details. So fokus for bass rumble, nura for fidelity

Mar 2, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #51,487 of 62,729
Talk me off the cliff...

I havesome budget up to say $300CAD.

If I wanted to try something new would any of the following be worth thinking about or would they just beside grades at best?

I currently own the GB2P, WF-1000XM4, JBL Live Pro 2. I like all 3 with WF being my current favorite followed by the GB2P. I like my bass but also want good midrange and treble.

I can get the following on sale.

SOUNDCORE Liberty 4 $149Cad, looks to be slightly less bass heavy the LP3 but more bass than the A40. Both which I owned and flipped. The LP3 was a bit uncomfortable and the table a bit sharp. The A40 was to tame in the bass. Would this be comfy and something smack dab in the middle?

1More Evo $169Cad. The reviews I have read a listened to complain about the mics and used to complain about lack of manual EQ which 1more fixed.

Sennheiser MTW3, $279Cad, this the most expensive and I imagine potentially the best sounding of the 3. Issues for me are no LDAC which is almost a must for hires on a Samsung device.

I need decent mics, good ANC and ambient and would like around 6hrs battery life with ANC on. The Liberty 4 check all the boxes, the Evo not so much and the same goes for Sennheiser.

So if I jump, I am tempted the most by the Liberty 4. But am I just wasting time? Given my price point max is there a better option or should I just wait patiently for Sony and Technics to show their latest options and keep saving? Or maybe go Bose?

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #51,488 of 62,729
Referencing a reviewer named currawong here on LDAC limitations... just the messenger, no arrows please... ouch!!!!

https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/

I think he's affiliated with head fi...

Concerning Hires .... for sure no TWS can handle proper Hires ... with or without LDAC.

Concerning the old 80's CD Sound quality.. this link confirms till now there are only devices with LDAC that can handle a good lossless CD quality (some TWS and almost all BT receivers like DAPs, BTR7, iFi go Blu, UP4(22))... But, I don't know if any Aptx Lossless devices are available on the market... for sure the old AAC has a far too limited bandwith to handle this properly.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #51,489 of 62,729
So if I jump, I am tempted the most by the Liberty 4. But am I just wasting time? Given my price point max is there a better option or should I just wait patiently for Sony and Technics to show their latest options and keep saving? Or maybe go Bose?

All those options seem a little uninspiring at the moment. If I was picking between them and the GBP2 I'd pick the GBP2.

I'd put that dosh aside in a separate account and add a little extra to it over the next few months for something else or wait for something new.

Mar 2, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #51,490 of 62,729
I really hope we'll se something new from the big players in the upcoming 1-2 months, OEMs like Sennheiser, B&O, Technics, Sony etc. Sony and Technics looks must likely given the leaks.

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #51,491 of 62,729
Talk me off the cliff...

I still really really really enjoy both my Bose, the QC1 and QC2 (and the SSF, when I remember charging them the night before :D )

That being said, having been somewhat numbed by the whole TWS topic ... last time I had a bit of extra 'budget' I looked in a totally different direction and got myself the Hifiman HE400SE & the Sony MDR-Z7 (which I think you also own(ed?) ) both gently used for around 200USD together ... :D

So much for talking you over the edge ...

Mar 2, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #51,492 of 62,729
Well, I received my replacement Fokus Mystique and am having an odd issue with the left bud again - this time it feels as though 90% of the time when I put the earbud in there is a vacuum or pressure with the seal that prevents the DD from functioning - resulting in the feeling of much lower volume on that side. It has not happened once with the R bud and did not ever happen with my previous pair (which had a different issue).
I'm on the latest firmware, have re-paired and reset the buds 3x times - occasionally I can get lucky with the seal and they sound pretty good, but even then I feel like the audio changes if I move my head (e.g. if I tilt my head to the right the audio clears up, but then becomes muted if I stand straight up). Also, putting slight pressure/torsion on the bud seems to let it play normally (though this is not a workable solution).

A few questions for you all:
1) Do you think this may change with burn-in?
2) Is this due to a vent in the bud not functioning (that would equalize the pressure)?
3) Could this be related to my left ear just being off due to flying recently? (Tried my other earbuds and no issue)

Finally, for those of you with both the NFM and the Nuratrue Pro - which one delivers more bass/subbass (ideally listening to a bassy rap song with a good deal of sub bass)?
I'm deliberating between exchanging the NFM one more time, or getting the NTP to give them a spin. If you have any advice on the best route to go to get the NTP, please let me know. I tried the original Nura True and didn't love the buds shape or sound, but am tempted to give the NTP a go.

Thank you!
I'll chime in because I think my experience is relevant to your situation and could be helpful. I had a very similar issue with imbalance, particularly in the left ear. They were also having some other issues (one day, incredibly distorted even with neutral EQ), so I sent them back. To me, they also sounded "clear." So, I was a bit worried that they just sounded like this and something was wrong with my perception of what "good" should sound like.

Bloom Audio indicated that they would listen to them to confirm the defect. I was worried that they would not find a defect and would send them back. However, they did confirm the defect and sent a new set. They also mentioned in one of the email exchanges that a very small percentage have this imbalance issue-so I think it is a known issue.

While the replacements were in transport, I set my expectations about how they were not going to sounds nearly as good as the NuraTrue Pro (again, because they sounded "clear," so I thought I had an idea of how capable they were).

It turns out, I was way off, they sounds absolutely amazing! I am 100% confident that yours are defective and you should get a new set.

As for the NuraTrue Pro vs the Mystique for bass/subbass, my personal experience is that the NuraTrue Pro have more bass. I will say that I ran the hearing test several times to get to this one that has more bass than other profiles that were developed. So I encourage anyone else to do the same if you want to get them closer to something that fits your preferences. I have not EQ'd them, so this would also be an option I assume to dial them in per your preferences. Also, I will mention that the bass/subbass on the Mystiques is substantial. My person experience is that I need to A/B the NuraTrue Pro and the Mystique to tell the difference. Also notable when A/B-ing is that I agree that the Mystique are better at fidelity. More specifically, I think the bass is less muddy. But I also don't think the bass on the NuraTrue Pro is muddy. Just muddier. Also, since mentioned, I will echo that the soundstage on the NuraTrue Pro is amazing.

I also think comfort is worth mentioning. I'll echo what others have said that the Mystique are the most comfortable TWS I've ever owned. And the NuraTrue Pro do hurt my ears for longer listening. I have Azla SednaEarfit XELASTIC tips on them and they are grippy enough that I'm trying them now without the tips and they won't fall out. I think that without the tips they won't hurt after long sessions. Will update in a few hours.

Hope this helps!

Mar 2, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #51,493 of 62,729
Talk me off the cliff...

I havesome budget up to say $300CAD.

If I wanted to try something new would any of the following be worth thinking about or would they just beside grades at best?

I currently own the GB2P, WF-1000XM4, JBL Live Pro 2. I like all 3 with WF being my current favorite followed by the GB2P. I like my bass but also want good midrange and treble.

I can get the following on sale.

SOUNDCORE Liberty 4 $149Cad, looks to be slightly less bass heavy the LP3 but more bass than the A40. Both which I owned and flipped. The LP3 was a bit uncomfortable and the table a bit sharp. The A40 was to tame in the bass. Would this be comfy and something smack dab in the middle?

1More Evo $169Cad. The reviews I have read a listened to complain about the mics and used to complain about lack of manual EQ which 1more fixed.

Sennheiser MTW3, $279Cad, this the most expensive and I imagine potentially the best sounding of the 3. Issues for me are no LDAC which is almost a must for hires on a Samsung device.

I need decent mics, good ANC and ambient and would like around 6hrs battery life with ANC on. The Liberty 4 check all the boxes, the Evo not so much and the same goes for Sennheiser.

Don't Samsung phones support aptx too? Is there truly a big difference between using ldac and aptx as far as sound quality is concerned?

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #51,494 of 62,729
Don't Samsung phones support aptx too? Is there truly a big difference between using ldac and aptx as far as sound quality is concerned?

AFAIK Samsung refuses to support any Qualcomm codecs

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #51,495 of 62,729
All those options seem a little uninspiring at the moment. If I was picking between them and the GBP2 I'd pick the GBP2.

I'd put that dosh aside in a separate account and add a little extra to it over the next few months for something else or wait for something new.
I picked up the liberty pro 2 on a clearance at (no kidding) Walmart, two weeks back.. $54, they had 5, all gone now.. I like it, great sound, fits good and no fuss!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back