Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 20, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #51,286 of 62,670
Does anyone actually have both found pro and mystique? Would like to hear from someone who owns both on the value or not of upgrading besides call quality. Just sq is all I'm concerned with. Thanks all
It's really up to you. I wanted the transparency mode and better calls, so for me, getting the Mystique was a win. If you don't care much about those features, or a slight bump in sound, maybe hold off. If you have a wild hair like a lot of us, flip your Fokus Pro on eBay or the like and try to offset the cost. Either way, you're not missing out on anything other than GAS (Gear Addiction Syndrome).

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #51,287 of 62,670
It's really up to you. I wanted the transparency mode and better calls, so for me, getting the Mystique was a win. If you don't care much about those features, or a slight bump in sound, maybe hold off. If you have a wild hair like a lot of us, flip your Fokus Pro on eBay or the like and try to offset the cost. Either way, you're not missing out on anything other than GAS (Gear Addiction Syndrome).
For Apple users, probably it's a very good way.. but for Samsung and many Sony users, there is a real gap for sound quality between Android AAC(250Kbps), LDAC(990Kbps) or SSC, that is very easily noticeable, with an instant A/B comparison (by using an app like Bluetooth Codec Changer), that I can't even give a try to the Mystique.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #51,288 of 62,670
Right. You are just guessing and maybe theorizing with zero evidence of anything.

Of course most phones with a Samsung SOC aren't going to support it because Samsung doesn't want to support AptX, and most Samsung SOC go into Samsung phones, just not in the US - but clearly Google is able to support AptX on Samsung SOC, so again, you are just wildly guessing. As far as we know it is Google's choice to support more AptX codecs since they already do. As far as AptX adaptive on the pixel 7 series, it's just really started to become available on phones lately really, it's not like Google is lagging years back here, so they very well may support it. Nobody knows. We know Samsung loves making everything proprietary, they tried with Tizen OS, they skin Android to the hilt too. So for a Samsung phone, yes, be wary that stuff is not likely to be supported. But google already does support AptX codecs and has made no hint they will stop.

You are just wildly speculating and that's it.

Here's a good read on the topic:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/what-is-aptx-qualcomm-bluetooth-codecs-explained/

Unlike aptX and aptX HD, which can be enabled using software on the source side of the equation (which likely explains why they’re included with the Android operating system regardless of which phone you buy), aptX Adaptive requires the use of Qualcomm’s own chips on both the source and sink devices.

So you can no longer buy an Android phone and assume it supports aptX Adaptive. Google’s Pixel phones are a good example. Even the newest Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro don’t have aptX Adaptive built-in.

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #51,290 of 62,670
I just opened this thread for the first time in awhile to see things posted that are relevant to my question(-ish).

I'm having some major issues with my Fokus Mystiques on my new phone (Xiaomi Mix Fold 2). The sound cuts out A LOT when I'm out walking around and sometimes the sound doesn't exactly cut out, but it sounds like the sound "shifts" and becomes like... mono, or like it's flattened to like 96 kbps and the sound stage just shrinks to the middle. Really hard for me to describe it 100%.

It almost only happens when I put my phone in my pocket pretty much.
Like if I keep my phones in my hands it doesn't happen, and if I put it in my jacket pocket it's less likely to happen, and it never happens when I sit at my desk basically. It can happen when I shift the earbuds in my ears too, but definitely not always.
But I just can't see that the range of Bluetooth would be that bad.
I tried setting my phone to SBC to see if it was some sort of codec issue but that doesn't seem to be it.
I never had issues with my previous phone with the Mystiques, and this issue also doesn't occur with my Bose QCII's on the new phone either.

Any settings or similar that I need to check out?

Feb 20, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #51,291 of 62,670
I had similar issue. Switched from AptX to AAC on my player, when I made the reset of the buds. Don't have signal cut offs anymore in or out of the pocket.
I have the different issue, though. Sometimes when I listen to the music the "ambient mode" will engaged by itself and buds will shut off after. It happens rare and I can live with it. I guess, nothing I can do anyway, cause we can't update the software anyway. This is the problem of all boutique companies: great sound on one hand and quality issues on another.

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #51,293 of 62,670
Quick question for the tip rollers, please.

In Azla SednaEarfit, what’s the difference between Crystal and Xelastec? Being it for APP2 or other? Do they treat sound differently? Which are the latest? Which do you guys prefer?

Any other recommendations are welcome.

TIA!

I’m raving as I found a way to get Azlas in Europe.

All items in my cart awaiting decision.

Your valued and varied inputs are extremely important now.

Thanks all!

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #51,294 of 62,670
Xelastec are their older high-end tips (ignoring the standard black and softer white ones) they change shape with your body heat to seal but do not spring back like memory foam so if you twist them on the nozzle, it tasks time to reform to your ears again.

After time due to the charging case, they can become misshaped if they touch the sides due to the heat while charging and you need to drop them in boiling water then cool water to get them back to stock shape.

Crystal is the newer model, and you can get then in standard and TWS variants.

They now have an even newer ear tip called Max in standard and TWS variants and they have a honeycomb type grill/filter in it so not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #51,295 of 62,670
Xelastec are their older high-end tips (ignoring the standard black and softer white ones) they change shape with your body heat to seal but do not spring back like memory foam so if you twist them on the nozzle, it tasks time to reform to your ears again.

After time due to the charging case, they can become can misshaped if they touch the sides due to the heat while charging and you need to drop them in boiling water then cool water to get them back to stock shape.

Crysal is the newer model, and you can get then in strand and TWS variants.

They now have an even newer ear tip called Max in standard and TWS variants and they have a honeycomb type grill/filter in it so not my cup of tea.

Ok, this is exactly the crucial info I needed. Thank you Sir!

Xelastec are sidelined. And I don’t like too much the look of the Max or it’s grille. Crystal looks good and is still in the cart.

Now to see what my wife brings me from the US. I have a clue but don’t want to jinx it.

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #51,296 of 62,670
Which brings me... @erockg and others in LA... my wife went “last minute” to these meetings in LA... aside from APP2, where (as close as possible to Newport Beach) could she go where there is a good selection of these audio toys we love? During the day I guess she won’t have too much time... any store at a Mall? Harder to find, I presume. Thx.

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #51,297 of 62,670
Tozo X1 reviews

I still think it should be about $99 - $119. Maybe the $150 if the ANC didn't alter the sound as much and was more effective and the mics were not low in picking stuff up and also the static volume on calls. Perhaps those can be improved with firmware but it is Tozo so we don't know what to expect as far as firmware. Maybe a little more impressed than I thought they would turn out as the first higher price offering. Of course the early price was $249 so can't mark as tough for $100 less.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #51,298 of 62,670
I just opened this thread for the first time in awhile to see things posted that are relevant to my question(-ish).

I'm having some major issues with my Fokus Mystiques on my new phone (Xiaomi Mix Fold 2). The sound cuts out A LOT when I'm out walking around and sometimes the sound doesn't exactly cut out, but it sounds like the sound "shifts" and becomes like... mono, or like it's flattened to like 96 kbps and the sound stage just shrinks to the middle. Really hard for me to describe it 100%.

It almost only happens when I put my phone in my pocket pretty much.
Like if I keep my phones in my hands it doesn't happen, and if I put it in my jacket pocket it's less likely to happen, and it never happens when I sit at my desk basically. It can happen when I shift the earbuds in my ears too, but definitely not always.
But I just can't see that the range of Bluetooth would be that bad.
I tried setting my phone to SBC to see if it was some sort of codec issue but that doesn't seem to be it.
I never had issues with my previous phone with the Mystiques, and this issue also doesn't occur with my Bose QCII's on the new phone either.

Any settings or similar that I need to check out?
I have an Xiaomi mi 11pro and have the exact same problem with my Focus Pro.
As you say,it becomes almost like mono sound when the range between the phone and buds is like 3-4 meters.
The only thing that make them sound normal again is to toggle bluetooth on/off or put the buds back in the cradle.

I have an older Oneplus 8pro that i tried. And with the Oneplus phone my Focus Pro works MUCH better. Better BT range and no "mono" sound.
Very frustrating...

It is strange because none of my other TWS acts like this except my Focus Pro

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #51,299 of 62,670
Which brings me... @erockg and others in LA... my wife went “last minute” to these meetings in LA... aside from APP2, where (as close as possible to Newport Beach) could she go where there is a good selection of these audio toys we love? During the day I guess she won’t have too much time... any store at a Mall? Harder to find, I presume. Thx.
Oh wow, that's a hard one. There's a Bang & Olufsen store in West Hollywood, not close. Outside of that, it's really only Best Buy. These days there aren't many audiophile stores here in LA. I do know there are a couple stores at Los Angeles International Airport. You're right, hard to find. Most of the good ones I have to buy online. Sad but true. If someone else knows of a great place, please do share!

Feb 20, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #51,300 of 62,670
Do you prefer one over the other? Looking for better comfort with a good enough seal for the bass.
I get a little better treble and a little less bass with the Spinfit and slightly warmer sound with more bass with Crystals. It all depends on your taste. I love both but find myself listening to the Spinfit a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back