Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 10, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #50,986 of 62,905
I got the Fokus Mystiques today.

Just put them in my ears... Very comfortable in my opinion, but I have some pretty big lugholes myself.
The sound is... honestly, beautiful. It's so clean and pristine in my opinion. Still haven't really played around that much with the EQ, did some slight adjustments to get the vocals popping a bit more. But the imaging and soundstage is great, and the clarity is also very impressive.
Definitely not flat (imo usually not a negative thing), but very well-balanced and seem to respond to EQ very well.

I think I see my Bose still getting the most playtime from me because I honestly think they sound great and the noise cancelling that good is a game changer to me, but for listening to music at home or in environments that aren't noisy, I think the Mystique will be absolutely fantastic.
Did you test the mic at all? How's call/meeting quality? Thanks.

Feb 10, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #50,989 of 62,905
How are the Beoplay EX Holding up these days? I'm thinking about them since I got some money to burn at B&H

Feb 10, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #50,990 of 62,905
How are the Beoplay EX Holding up these days? I'm thinking about them since I got some money to burn at B&H
BH sells the Nura Pro as well. I think the Beoplay can hang with the best of them frankly even though all of us here are members of the flavor of the month club. I would have a hard time paying full price for them right now.

Feb 10, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #50,991 of 62,905
BH sells the Nura Pro as well. I think the Beoplay can hang with the best of them frankly even though all of us here are members of the flavor of the month club. I would have a hard time paying full price for them right now.
I still love my EXs for what I use them for. Outside stuff and floating in the pool.

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #50,992 of 62,905
I still love my EXs for what I use them for. Outside stuff and floating in the pool.

yes this is to use on the go - walking the dog, taking mass transit, walking in NYC, and on some plane travel a couple times a year. also i'd really like good quality mics for phone calls on the go outside. seems the Beoplay are really good in that regard

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #50,993 of 62,905
yes this is to use on the go - walking the dog, taking mass transit, walking in NYC, and on some plane travel a couple times a year. also i'd really like good quality mics for phone calls on the go outside. seems the Beoplay are really good in that regard
I don't use them for calls, so I can't really attest to call quality. The noise cancelling is there, but kind of mediocre compared to some of the others out there.

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #50,994 of 62,905
I don't use them for calls, so I can't really attest to call quality. The noise cancelling is there, but kind of mediocre compared to some of the others out there.

Thanks. I'd love to hear from anybody who has heard the Beoplay EX and the Nura Pro on SQ, call quality and ANC if possible

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #50,995 of 62,905
Single driver? If Samsung phone what is the best codec it supports?
Not just the single driver. I also attribute the independent "hi-fi" DAC and frequency band of 4,000hz-40,000hz. The sound is very balanced and accurate especially with Aptx Lossless. Depending on what Samsung phone you got, you might be able to get Aptx classic, Aptx HD or Aptx Adaptive. The new S23 has Aptx lossless.

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #50,996 of 62,905
Calls were fine on the EX. Once upon a time I used them all the time. Flipped mine because of the new regime of TWS. I do think the Nuratrue Pro edge them out, despite the fit issues I have. They fit, but after a few hours my ears hurt because of the wing style. Not everyone has this issue. That said, ANC and all the features are great. Multi-pair, force pair, calls, transparency all decent. The sub-bass the NTP puts out is incredible. I think the NTP over the EX right now. Just my two cents. But as was said, unless you can get the EX for 300 or less, go NTP. Double but (heh) if you have that cash to burn, the EX are premium, have a metal case and gorgeous. The recent updates added auto-pause and most of the bugs have been worked out with firmware updates.

Feb 10, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #50,997 of 62,905
Those have peaked (peeked?) my interest for a while now! There are plenty of hype reviews on YT, and then less stellar every day use cases on amazon .. bottomline seems 'if it works, it is great' ... but I searched around, my crappy Xiaomi phone is not supported, I could fiddle with side loading the apk, hoping for the best .. for iPhone I need a rather expensive adapter ... for a while the Nreal were surprisingly cheap here on amazon.jp, before they adjusted for bad exchange rate.
On top of things I would have to figure out getting my proper prescription lenses in there ...

But eventually I hope we will see more stuff like this, can imagine this to be the future of my lazy TV watching (on exercise bike maybe :D )
It's "piqued" :wink:. I totally agree. I've tried them on my MBP with their Nebula app, and while cool to have a three screen virtual canvas, haven't tried it out too much. I use them plugged into an iPad mini 6 to watch movies with a great set of TWS. It's incredibly engrossing. Watched that new TOP GUN movie and zero complaints outside I wish the little OLED screens were 4K. Even still, they look pretty damn good for what they are. Had the adapter for the iPhone and it was buggy. YMMV with that. Returned the adapter and just use my iPad. Prescription lenses seem to be reasonably priced too from what I've seen on their Reddit page.

Feb 10, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #50,998 of 62,905
Not just the single driver. I also attribute the independent "hi-fi" DAC and frequency band of 4,000hz-40,000hz. The sound is very balanced and accurate especially with Aptx Lossless. Depending on what Samsung phone you got, you might be able to get Aptx classic, Aptx HD or Aptx Adaptive. The new S23 has Aptx lossless.
Does the s23 have it? I have the s23 ultra now and in developer settings I only see APTX but don't know if there should be a separate lossless or adaptive section or if all lumped together.

Also how does one driver handle the frequencies so well?

Feb 10, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #50,999 of 62,905
With Samsung phones you can only get APTX/LDAC...Samsung refuses to implement other codecs that isn't part of Android (like LDAC since Android Pie). Remains to be seen if they'll add LC3/LC3+.

I don't have any hope for Aptx Lossless, despite the S23 globally featuring a SoC that supports it.

Feb 10, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #51,000 of 62,905
Does the s23 have it? I have the s23 ultra now and in developer settings I only see APTX but don't know if there should be a separate lossless or adaptive section or if all lumped together.

Also how does one driver handle the frequencies so well?
I have never owned a Samsung but I would think since the S23 has the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2, that it might have Aptx lossless which is tied in with Aptx Adaptive. You won't see Aptx lossless in the developer option as an individual codec. If you don't have Aptx Adaptive, you don't get Aptx lossless. On the Nuratrue Pro it will say Aptx Adaptive HD 44.1k to notify you that Aptx lossless is enabled. On the Vivo it will actually say Aptx Lossless

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230210-115626_vivo_Earphones.jpg
    Screenshot_20230210-115626_vivo_Earphones.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back