Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 9, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #50,971 of 62,905
The Bose 600 plus Sub is about the same price.
I used to have a very high end 7.1 setup and after switching to Sonos, can't see me going there again. It's the versatility that sold me. Not sure the Bose offers the same, but that's not to say it's not as great. I've actually thought about doing a few big HomePods and seeing if that would work. Saw a review and the guy was really surprised at how well it did with Spatial Audio. That said, I'm sticking with my Sonos for now. It works incredibly well. Bunch of my circle here in LA use them. But again, it's about the ease of setup, wireless etc. Atmos is fine, but if the movie sucks, it still sucks :wink: My 4.5 year old monopolized the setup for anything and everything Star Wars these days anyway. I'm relegated to my NReal Glasses in bed when everyone is asleep.

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #50,972 of 62,905
I used to have a very high end 7.1 setup and after switching to Sonos, can't see me going there again. It's the versatility that sold me. Not sure the Bose offers the same, but that's not to say it's not as great. I've actually thought about doing a few big HomePods and seeing if that would work. Saw a review and the guy was really surprised at how well it did with Spatial Audio. That said, I'm sticking with my Sonos for now. It works incredibly well. Bunch of my circle here in LA use them. But again, it's about the ease of setup, wireless etc. Atmos is fine, but if the movie sucks, it still sucks :wink: My 4.5 year old monopolized the setup for anything and everything Star Wars these days anyway. I'm relegated to my NReal Glasses in bed when everyone is asleep.
Beam plus Sub ordered. Happy to post impressions if anyone cares here …

Feb 9, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #50,975 of 62,905
How would you run standard cable TV through the HomePods?

Feb 9, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #50,976 of 62,905
How would you run standard cable TV through the HomePods?
That was my cog in the wheel. I stream everything here. But for that you'd prob need a tv with airplay or something. I have two HomePod minis in another room hooked to an ATV and it sound good enough for a bedroom. Alas, streaming only.

Feb 9, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #50,977 of 62,905
That was my cog in the wheel. I stream everything here. But for that you'd prob need a tv with airplay or something. I have two HomePod minis in another room hooked to an ATV and it sound good enough for a bedroom. Alas, streaming only.
I have some homepods. They sound superb. Leave it to apple to make a class leading product and then nerf it so it's rendered useless for 80% of the applications. The arrogance is impressive.

Feb 9, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #50,978 of 62,905
I have some homepods. They sound superb. Leave it to apple to make a class leading product and then nerf it so it's rendered useless for 80% of the applications. The arrogance is impressive.
Agreed. It's frustrating. Well-made products but there is always the proverbial wall.

Feb 9, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #50,980 of 62,905
The AZ60s might fit the bill. Let me try them today on the PC connected to zoom. They have an internal double tap mute for calls, but have not connected them to the computer.
Yep, the mute works on the Technics AZ60s (presume AZ40s also). Coworker said loud and clear - double tap mute on zoom/teams/etc. Range is maybe 20-25 ft from my pc.

Feb 9, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #50,982 of 62,905
325589067_1598100680631322_47429583193857429_n.jpg

Unique Melody U-Free Arrived days early. 2 days shipping from Singapore, not bad. Aus Fedex doing it right.

Early order means I got the first version with the gold plate on the side rather than the matte, I'd say something like: That'll teach me". But let's be honest, it will not.
326471001_569955821840772_7673815697387792992_n.jpg

Out of the box not such a hot impression, new style eartips don't create a great fit and where is the bass? I can't find it anywhere. Put on Azla Sedna and a bit better but still not completely sure if there is a dynamic driver being used here or not.

Almost started to regret yet another top end purchase instead of just getting the Noble. Then I put some Comply tips on and theeeeere is the bass. I lose some of that open feel but it's well worth it.

App not available yet for tuning.

Would be nice to know where the bone conductor sits, with less shallow tips I'm worried I'm not getting the right contact. More tip rolling needed and maybe some burn in before I start with any kind of solid opinion.

326595367_1328968211270592_6979423480656087235_n.jpg

Feb 9, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #50,983 of 62,905
I'm relegated to my NReal Glasses in bed when everyone is asleep.
Those have peaked (peeked?) my interest for a while now! There are plenty of hype reviews on YT, and then less stellar every day use cases on amazon .. bottomline seems 'if it works, it is great' ... but I searched around, my crappy Xiaomi phone is not supported, I could fiddle with side loading the apk, hoping for the best .. for iPhone I need a rather expensive adapter ... for a while the Nreal were surprisingly cheap here on amazon.jp, before they adjusted for bad exchange rate.
On top of things I would have to figure out getting my proper prescription lenses in there ...

But eventually I hope we will see more stuff like this, can imagine this to be the future of my lazy TV watching (on exercise bike maybe :D )

Feb 10, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #50,984 of 62,905
I still own most of my Wireless IEM/TWS like Airpod pro v2, B&O E8 v2, Melomania v1, Samung Buds Live, Samsung Buds2 Pro, Elite 7 Pro and now HA-FW1000T ...

After 24 hours, for sure the woody JVC/Victor TWS has probably the best sound quality and none fatiguing out of the charging box without any EQ needed ...But Volume level can be really very loud and it is so so long to lower down with many 2 taps+waiting for driver response on the left driver => that it is really annoying to switch between Smartphone and DAP or betwween Players and Streamers.
I would say, the volume level can be, by far, the "highest" SPL of all my TWS. maybe at a rather dangerous level for the ears.

In general, the Touch interface is nearly as painful as Airpod Pro v2 .. it's amazing to decide to adapt volume with a 2 quick taps or 3 quick taps on the left driver only and not a long press on left to lower and right to increase volume.
As with Android devices, there is no app to personalize the touch functions like with many of my TWS => maybe I should try to see if there is an app with iphones which allows to personalize the touch functions ?

Then, it's strange but it's probably my only TWS which can fully charge the drivers at 100% and then stops to keep the battery at a fully charged level and it's discharging continuously even in the charging box by something like 10% in 10hours.. So when when I got the HA-FW1000T from Japan, the drivers were only at 40% charging level.

Agreed on the volume level, the FW1000T is the loudest of my TWS by quite some margin.

As for sound quality, default tuning without ANC sounds a little veiled / muddy to me, due to too much upper bass. So if one doesn't want to use EQ, I'd recommend to leave ANC on all the time. You can see the difference here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/post-16923205

Feb 10, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #50,985 of 62,905
I got the Fokus Mystiques today.

Just put them in my ears... Very comfortable in my opinion, but I have some pretty big lugholes myself.
The sound is... honestly, beautiful. It's so clean and pristine in my opinion. Still haven't really played around that much with the EQ, did some slight adjustments to get the vocals popping a bit more. But the imaging and soundstage is great, and the clarity is also very impressive.
Definitely not flat (imo usually not a negative thing), but very well-balanced and seem to respond to EQ very well.

I think I see my Bose still getting the most playtime from me because I honestly think they sound great and the noise cancelling that good is a game changer to me, but for listening to music at home or in environments that aren't noisy, I think the Mystique will be absolutely fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back