Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 13, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #50,178 of 62,266
The mackie mp 20tws have a major battery imbalance issue as one side (right) is 50 percents and the other side (left) is low on battery

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230113-002154344.jpg
    Screenshot_20230113-002154344.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 0
Jan 13, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #50,179 of 62,266
Like most, I too am looking for the best SQ possible on my tight budget.

I have (on sale now) my Meze Rai Solo having upgraded to the Advar. Extremely happy with them so I’m covered on the wired side. A pair of Shure Gen2 adapters would make them wireless but haven’t gone that route.

While TWS will “always” be worse than wired, I could compare, as an example, my 130€ CA MT to a 130€ Fiio FH3. Fiio dances on the MT’s grave. The FH3 are VERY different to the Rai Solo. Maybe like the CA MT is to the XM3. Different technicalities, different sound, maybe down to preference.

Yes, that’s my route. One has to adapt the needs to the tech. Wired for absolute SQ. Wireless for portability and features. These routes may be crossed with said bt adapters.

As I’ve stated, I’m (not so) patiently waiting for “lossless” or similar over Bluetooth in order to redirect some funds to upgrade my CA MT.
The MTW3, Free Byrd, TWX9 (in line with Hozay’s budget) haven’t fully convinced me. Being an iPhone user, I’ve almost bit the bullet on APP2 several times. Since gen2 has “proven” SQ and they marry my Apple environment.

... waiting for BTLE/LC3... waiting... waiting. We’re “not there yet”.

Curious how the SE846, Monarch mkII, Clairvoyance sound with the TW2 vs wired... should I get the TW2 for my Advar or would I be missing much. I don’t mind the wire while at home. And using the adapters outside might be cumbersome, no? Rather a simple TWS for outside? I can’t get both, meaning adapters and new TWS.

@erockg would you please comment on the last paragraph? Thx.

Jan 13, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #50,180 of 62,266
Just unpacked my CA Orbit and it is wow. I have the B&O ex, Bose QC II, ATH-TWX9, Beyerdynamic Free Bird, xm4, and the Fokus Pro. The only real competitor is Fokus Pro. And these beat them hands down. But… it’s a really a good thing the sound is so breathtaking, because the IOS app just crashes and so I can’t explore the EQ. I’m sure the app will be fixed pretty soon.
I am a real CA fanboy and these truly have the magic I hear in my Dorado 2020 and Ara. Just wow

Now my curiosity has been sparked again on these.

I didn't have any issues with the app and I'm on iOS too. Did have issues with ghost taps and they'd randomly pause on me or skip tracks. Drove me nuts. Everything working good for you there? I'm going to reorder a replacement soon... Did they prompt you to do a firmware update out of the box? The soundstage is great, same with the sub-bass etc. Great instrument separation too.

I had discarded my interest when I read erockgs comments.

So, are they top notch then? Close to EX and NFP in sound? They are in my “expected” budget at 250€... no extra features though. And that really bugs me in TWS.

Eager for both your comments.

Jan 13, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #50,182 of 62,266
@erockg would you please comment on the last paragraph? Thx.
Sure, missed that. I let my MK2 go, but still have my SE846 and Clairvoyance (repurchased them after realizing I liked the signature better than the MK2). Sadly, I never use them wired. I’m a wireless guy. I do love the way they sound. I can't speak to the Advar on the TW2 or if the TW2 will have enough power for them. For instance, the Clairvoyance need a bit more power (volume) on the TW2, whereas the SE846 do not. The TW2 can be used with EQ which is nice, so you can bump up the db. I got a good deal (50% off) on the Fostex TM2C which I prefer over the UTWS5, so I repurchased them. I left the TW2 on the SE846 and plan to put the Clairvoyance on the TM2C. Yes, they can be cumbersome, but depending on my mood, it's worth it. TWS have come a long way, but the IEM with an adapter route still does sound better imo.

Jan 13, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #50,183 of 62,266
Sure, missed that. I let my MK2 go, but still have my SE846 and Clairvoyance (repurchased them after realizing I liked the signature better than the MK2). Sadly, I never use them wired. I’m a wireless guy. I do love the way they sound. I can't speak to the Advar on the TW2 or if the TW2 will have enough power for them. For instance, the Clairvoyance need a bit more power (volume) on the TW2, whereas the SE846 do not. The TW2 can be used with EQ which is nice, so you can bump up the db. I got a good deal (50% off) on the Fostex TM2C which I prefer over the UTWS5, so I repurchased them. I left the TW2 on the SE846 and plan to put the Clairvoyance on the TM2C. Yes, they can be cumbersome, but depending on my mood, it's worth it. TWS have come a long way, but the IEM with an adapter route still does sound better imo.
+1 for the TW2. Everything I put on them so far sounded great. Even the SE215 Special Edition are solid. Granted, I haven’t tried the high end TWS by B&O and Noble because I’m very happy with my setup.

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #50,184 of 62,266
Now my curiosity has been sparked again on these.

I had discarded my interest when I read erockgs comments.

So, are they top notch then? Close to EX and NFP in sound? They are in my “expected” budget at 250€... no extra features though. And that really bugs me in TWS.
Eager for both your comments.
As tempted as I am, I feel a little burned by my NFP purchase. Don’t get me wrong, I love them, they sound fantastic. But the lack of transparency mode and poor mic really take away from their usability. Not sure I’d personally take that path again.
That said…man do I want to try them!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #50,185 of 62,266
Spent some additional time with the Nuras and I am beginning to drink the cool aid. Compared to the Bose, everything is tighter and more refined with the exception that the Nura's can hit very low - almost like there is a subwoofer in the system. They really feel like a set speakers are in your head. I've run the sound profile a couple of times and both times they came out very similar. I'm interested in trying them with the dongle to see if things can get even better. My biggest disappointment is the ANC is typical throwaway ANC - meaning not really good. So, if I'm using a fan like I do when I exercise, I'm reaching for the Bose. For any other use, the Nura with immersion plus 1 and spatial on delivers an outstanding speaker like experience.

Turning to the APP2, it must be me, but I really do not like the way the sound. I am surprised at the amount of love they get for having good sound. They sound thin and tinny to me. Coming from the Nuras to the APP2 is a jarring experience. I'd never ever pick them for music. That said, a lot of people like them a lot so I guess it's a preference thing or maybe Apple loyalty.

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #50,186 of 62,266
Spent some additional time with the Nuras and I am beginning to drink the cool aid. Compared to the Bose, everything is tighter and more refined with the exception that the Nura's can hit very low - almost like there is a subwoofer in the system. They really feel like a set speakers are in your head. I've run the sound profile a couple of times and both times they came out very similar. I'm interested in trying them with the dongle to see if things can get even better. My biggest disappointment is the ANC is typical throwaway ANC - meaning not really good. So, if I'm using a fan like I do when I exercise, I'm reaching for the Bose. For any other use, the Nura with immersion plus 1 and spatial on delivers an outstanding speaker like experience.

Turning to the APP2, it must be me, but I really do not like the way the sound. I am surprised at the amount of love they get for having good sound. They sound thin and tinny to me. Coming from the Nuras to the APP2 is a jarring experience. I'd never ever pick them for music. That said, a lot of people like them a lot so I guess it's a preference thing or maybe Apple loyalty.
I'm on +3 lol. EQ'd the bass down a bit. I'm a sucker for that sub-bass. My head might explode? I'm having better luck with the ANC here. Using the biggest tips and the no wing insert. I don't even twist to lock them in my ears, just push them in. Not stellar, but better than the EX, which isn't saying much.

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #50,187 of 62,266

If you rly want to hear something different, try run the profile in someone else' ears. My partner's profile is like bass+6 to me.

Jan 13, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #50,188 of 62,266
I'm on +3 lol. EQ'd the bass down a bit. I'm a sucker for that sub-bass. My head might explode? I'm having better luck with the ANC here. Using the biggest tips and the no wing insert. I don't even twist to lock them in my ears, just push them in. Not stellar, but better than the EX, which isn't saying much.
I don’t think the wing tips are doing anything for me either. The fit is surprisingly good.

Jan 13, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #50,189 of 62,266
So, been waiting for these UE drops. The Cyberweek deal was just too good to pass up. UE threw in a charging pad I didn't need and gave me 25% off. I'm a sucker for fitted IEMs. Going to have some fun today...
Yes, they're new-er. I balked at the specs too until I read some reviews. Took a shot. But I have to admit, they're tuned very well. Clarity and soundstage is what I'd expect from UE. Great sub-bass. Fit is spot on, maybe slightly off in one ear but they can tweak if I wanted (still deciding). Transparency is great. Been taking calls, no issues. I'm on an iPhone, so the higher end codec aren't important to me.
Been using these UE Drops every day since received. I have to admit, they are awesome. I get it, some balk at the SBC codec, BT 4.2, but UE worked their magic here. I'm not unhappy. Hasn't made a difference. The clarity and separation is excellent. Sub-bass is super clean, cleaner than the Nuratrue Pro, that said I do have those set pretty high, so maybe if I pulled back they'd sound cleaner. Fitted TWS is just a game changer. I wish other brands would do this. I've been in contact with UE to have one bud tweaked for fit. They've been really kind and helpful on the phone. Simple online process and they you send the bud in. That said, the do fit great, but I think one bud needs to fit a smidge tighter. Definitely could live with it, but considering the cost and the free fit adjustment offer, I need to do it. I thought they'd need EQ, but all I did was put them on the loudness setting and I'm good to go. I was in the car on a Zoom call with transparency mode on. Perfect. Yes, I kept my eyes on the road. These buds are a huge step up from the UE Fits. It isn't even close.

Jan 13, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #50,190 of 62,266
Off to a bad start. Seems AliExpress shipped my Oppo. Been tracking with DHL. They arrived in Canada 2 days ago. And show delivered today. Only thing is they DHL site shows they were delivered to northern Saskatchewan and I live in Montreal Quebec.

DHL says I have to contact shipper. Only means seems to be in a chat in the AliExpress site. Sent a message to the online store as I know of no other way to contact but of course it is now Saturday morning there.

Anyone ever have issues with AliExpress? How did they get resolved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back