Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 25, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #48,961 of 62,639
Noble's Black Friday sale is up. Fokus Pro are on sale for $279

Nov 25, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #48,962 of 62,639
OK tested the Linkbuds S vs A40 and the S is definitely better. For a test I set the TV playing at a certain volume that was loud but excessively so. I then used both buds back and forth with just ANC no msuic. The S was quieter but not by a bunch I am thinking maybe 10-15% more. If I started playing muaic though at about 30% volume then the TV was blocked out completely.

So tough call.

Sonically speaking the S has a bit of that uniquely Sony sound. Not as dark as the WF-1000xm3 but still that Sony signature. So if you like that lush midrange then the Sony will give you that. The A40 on the other hand when using the default signature setting is a bit dryer sounding in the mids, more neutral and recessed. My custom EQ brings the mids forward so not recessed but still neutral.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #48,963 of 62,639
Non TWS post but I caved and ordered the Space Q45. Was thinking I might try the Fiio FW5 but couldn't bring myself to brave the AliExpress system and wait a month... Plus no real reviews yet ...

Nov 25, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #48,964 of 62,639
Non TWS post but I caved and ordered the Space Q45. Was thinking I might try the Fiio FW5 but couldn't bring myself to brave the AliExpress system and wait a month... Plus no real reviews yet ...
I am in the progress of writing my Q45 review. I was rather disappointed with the 1More Sonoflow and sent them back after trying out the Q45. It's very good for the price and a definite step up from the Q30. Having said that I did notice a few issues with the Q45 that resulted in me getting a replacement from SoundCore which unfortunately had the same issues still (they gave me a partial refund). With ANC or transparency mode enabled the volume of the headphones (especially the bass) undergoes a dramatic oscillation when I move my head suddenly. I've noticed this on other ANC headphones but not as severely as the Q45. If you generally keep your head still the issue is nonexistent but it's not for headbangers or more active usage.

OK tested the Linkbuds S vs A40 and the S is definitely better. For a test I set the TV playing at a certain volume that was loud but excessively so. I then used both buds back and forth with just ANC no msuic. The S was quieter but not by a bunch I am thinking maybe 10-15% more. If I started playing muaic though at about 30% volume then the TV was blocked out completely.

So tough call.

Sonically speaking the S has a bit of that uniquely Sony sound. Not as dark as the WF-1000xm3 but still that Sony signature. So if you like that lush midrange then the Sony will give you that. The A40 on the other hand when using the default signature setting is a bit dryer sounding in the mids, more neutral and recessed. My custom EQ brings the mids forward so not recessed but still neutral.
I decided to purchase both and see how I like them. I don't expect the A40 to block out noises any better than my Liberty 3 Pro which struggles with the daily commute (our Skytrains are too loud for the ANC devices I've tried!)

The Liberty 3 Pros are rather fatiguing especially when LDAC is enabled (this seems to introduce more sibilance with a treble spike added). However once I hear them everything else seems muddy and rolled off! I've tried fumbling with the EQ and still feel like something's missing if I customize the EQ.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #48,965 of 62,639
I use TWS earbuds every night .. most are far too thick to be comfortable when lying on the side, and, when they are not too thick, they have far too tiny battery playing time .(4.5 to 6 hours)...

1) Till now the Galaxy Buds2 pro, were rather compact, quite good autonomy in AAC mode with nearly 7.5 hours playing time without ANC, and a convincing sound quality with some PEQ adjustments (I use Powamp EQ with a Galaxy Z Fold 2, which is perfectly compatible with Bluetooth and Qobuz, Neutron, UAPP)

2) But, I just got the Jabra Elite 7 Pro (20% reduced price with some black friday offers) , which I feel maybe even more compact to lay down on the side, with far more than 10 to 11 hours without ANC in AAC mode and it's definitely more easy to fit perfectly sealed in the ear and are comfortable to manipulate tracks/volume/anc with some real hardware touch buttons.
The Sound Quality is basically more linear and rather flat compared to the Buds2 Pro, but it can be easily adjusted to a Harman Curve Target with Poweramp EQ. I am missing the SSC (24bits/48khz) Samsung CODEC for some more treble details between 8khz to 14khz, though the Buds2 Pro are far to be as good as wired IEM, even rather cheap like the Truthear x Crinacle Zero or on a comparable price tag like the impressive TANGZU Wu Zetian planars (but they both need a iFi go Blu to be really TWS).

Now, I hope that Jabra will be able to include soon or late some LDAC or at least an Aptx codec in an Elite 7 Pro form factor.. I am really impressed by the comfort (For the first time I don't need any Tips rolling and it's instantly perfectly placed in my ears without needing any replacements after a while like most the IEM when sleeping with them).

The Galaxy Buds2 pro is probably the best option for Samsung SSC compatible smartphones with a convincing sound quality, but the Jabra Elite 7 Pro is maybe more comfortable on many points, and has a very decent sound quality that can be adjusted qui easily with Poweramp EQ.
For sure, there is still room for improvements in the future for all TWS earbuds, but as an Apple, Cambrige Audio, Sony, Samsung, Jabra, .. user I can still say that many wired IEM (even new cheap one) offer more detailed mid-high/high frequencies (less muffled/more open/airy).

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #48,966 of 62,639
They are back! Nuarl that is and they join the new legion of those dropping Qualcomm. Only SBC/AAC and LDAC.
https://nuarl.com/next1/
1669382446966.png

Odd thing I see is, not sure I buy it, is they lose 1.5 hours with ANC on for AAC and SBC but only lose a half hour with ANC on for LDAC.

Nov 25, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #48,968 of 62,639
I've been curious about this feature. It sounded like a gimmick to capitalize on people's fear of germs. As if you could catch corona through your ear holes. But you're saying they make cleaning in general easier?
I don’t think Covid has ever been much of a consideration with this, but the reduction in ear infections which can be quite prevalent with IEMs should, in theory, be reduced quite a bit. I’m surprised there isn’t more weight on this feature personally, it was a major factor in my decision to buy them.

Nov 25, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #48,970 of 62,639
I am in the progress of writing my Q45 review. I was rather disappointed with the 1More Sonoflow and sent them back after trying out the Q45. It's very good for the price and a definite step up from the Q30. Having said that I did notice a few issues with the Q45 that resulted in me getting a replacement from SoundCore which unfortunately had the same issues still (they gave me a partial refund). With ANC or transparency mode enabled the volume of the headphones (especially the bass) undergoes a dramatic oscillation when I move my head suddenly. I've noticed this on other ANC headphones but not as severely as the Q45. If you generally keep your head still the issue is nonexistent but it's not for headbangers or more active usage.

I decided to purchase both and see how I like them. I don't expect the A40 to block out noises any better than my Liberty 3 Pro which struggles with the daily commute (our Skytrains are too loud for the ANC devices I've tried!)

The Liberty 3 Pros are rather fatiguing especially when LDAC is enabled (this seems to introduce more sibilance with a treble spike added). However once I hear them everything else seems muddy and rolled off! I've tried fumbling with the EQ and still feel like something's missing if I customize the EQ.
I hope that Q45 issue doesn't bother me!

The signature of A40 is definitely different than the S. For the most part I actually prefer the mids of the S more especially for Jazz. I might see if I can tweak the A40 to have that lush sound.

I listed to the DHRME review where they play 4 song samples on the XM5 and the Q45 and was torn. The Q45 sounded very similar to the A40 in the midrange and treble with more bass. So I preferred the first song sample that was mostly female vocals more on the XM5 but almost everything else I preferred the Q45 over the XM5.

Without HearID I will be tweaking the EQ manually more, so again may see if I can find a way to give the vocals some lush sound.

If they can handle some wind, they might become my earmuffs for the winter... :)

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #48,971 of 62,639

SoundPeats Mini Pro HS review: Hi-Res Audio Wireless certified with LDAC codec​

SoundPeats-Mini-Pro-HS-768x480.jpg

SoundPeats Mini Pro HS specs and features:

• LDAC/AAC/SBC audio codec
  • Hi-Res audio wireless certification
  • 10mm bio-diaphragm dynamic driver
  • 6-8 hours playback of per charge (ANC ON/OFF)
  • 40dB double-fed active noise cancellation
  • 70ms game low latency

https://www.qucox.com/soundpeats-mini-pro-hs-review/
any release date for this? ldac can be interesting,but the xptx one did not get that flowing reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back