Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 7, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #48,136 of 62,297
Looks like the ATH Twx9 are running about $220 USD from Amazon japan. Are they worth it? Would the sound quality bump from the QCII be worth it? I don't need another set of TWS but I may need these. If the sound is as high end as reported, seem like steal compared to the EX for twice the price.

I'm figuring they hit 300 when they come stateside. Having to wait a few weeks is well worth it to grab em now imo

Oct 8, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #48,137 of 62,297
I'm figuring they hit 300 when they come stateside. Having to wait a few weeks is well worth it to grab em now imo
I would agree and happily pay $300. One thing I do not think I have mentioned about the TWX9 is the fact that the staging is really good for a TWS. It is really difficult for me to say "better" than EX, it wouldn't matter anyway because that is so subjective.

In response to some of the pairing or connectivity issues I am seeing here, I will say that at first, I had a couple of issues but after the first couple of days and becoming familiar with them I have zero issues 95% of the time, minus an occasional one side hitch. Each bud plays a chime as you put it in your ear and then one side says Bluetooth connected.

One other thing I will mention is take your time with the settings, to adjust sensitivity of the controls. Also, keep in mind that there most definitely is an impact to sound with ANC. I have chosen the optimized ANC setting. Folks that prefer a brighter signature may want to look at the treble setting in EQ.

I am connecting with a Samsung S22 Ultra and will be able to test with a Pixel 7 Pro next week as well.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #48,138 of 62,297
Did anyone else see the annoying articles on some website about the Bose QCII having "too good" ANC and the person almost got hit by a bus or some crap like that? To also follow that up with a second article/opinion about that there should be some sort of regulation on how effective ANC should be able to be because it's a "risk" otherwise? I'm obviously paraphrasing, I don't remember the exact wording but that's what I got from it, that the ANC was dangerously good.

Thought it was hilarious and infuriating... Like no, just because you lack the awareness and attention span to not run out into the street because you can't hear the traffic you shouldn't put that on the earbud manufacturers and limit the development of new improved technology with crappy regulations.
Honestly if earbuds was 100% noise cancelling that should be fine as well and up to the user to decide if they can handle it, even if I can see some risks with it.
But It's not like deaf people get hit by cars every day (I mean it happens, but it also happens to people with perfect hearing) because they can't hear anything, because they know that they have to be attentive when they're crossing the street just because they can't hear the traffic and has to rely on sight alone, that's kinda what you need to do when wearing ANC earbuds as well.

I would say that the only time/people that shouldn't wear ANC earbuds is if you have severely impaired vision/if you're blind, because that would obviously be the dumbest thing ever to do, but I also doubt many blind people would wear ANC earbuds when walking outside.

Oct 8, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #48,139 of 62,297
Did anyone else see the annoying articles on some website about the Bose QCII having "too good" ANC and the person almost got hit by a bus or some crap like that? To also follow that up with a second article/opinion about that there should be some sort of regulation on how effective ANC should be able to be because it's a "risk" otherwise? I'm obviously paraphrasing, I don't remember the exact wording but that's what I got from it, that the ANC was dangerously good.

Thought it was hilarious and infuriating... Like no, just because you lack the awareness and attention span to not run out into the street because you can't hear the traffic you shouldn't put that on the earbud manufacturers and limit the development of new improved technology with crappy regulations.
Honestly if earbuds was 100% noise cancelling that should be fine as well and up to the user to decide if they can handle it, even if I can see some risks with it.
But It's not like deaf people get hit by cars every day (I mean it happens, but it also happens to people with perfect hearing) because they can't hear anything, because they know that they have to be attentive when they're crossing the street just because they can't hear the traffic and has to rely on sight alone, that's kinda what you need to do when wearing ANC earbuds as well.

I would say that the only time/people that shouldn't wear ANC earbuds is if you have severely impaired vision/if you're blind, because that would obviously be the dumbest thing ever to do, but I also doubt many blind people would wear ANC earbuds when walking outside.
Because sooooooooo many folks can't take responsibility for themselves and want government to regulate their every action, us folks that choose to self-regulate end up suffering.

Oct 8, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #48,140 of 62,297
I suspect this is a matter of taste :).

I am super happy with the GB2 Pro but I LIKE that signature :). I am not much of an AT fan anymore. Just not a fan of their house sound. So might have the exact opposite experience of @dleblanc343.

I know the GB2Pro won't be for everyone but no TWS really is.

I may be enjoying these more because of the fact I am truly entrenched in the Samsung garden so get the full 24bit codec experience.
The TWX9 sounds nothing like the A-T sound, ironically.

Actually, rather than being upper mid forward, they’re actually a bit more on the polite smooth side.

They also have impact! Usually A-T has a lot of subbass roll off to increase the effect of the soundstage size. TWX9 remains very spatial despite great bass (probably DSP).

So far, TWX9 is the most “holographic” true wireless I’ve heard. Actually, that’s one of my main gripes with the 2018 Harman curve is that it brings the upper mids into focus and makes it more in your face and dynamic. This gives a very focused center stage but mediocre soundstage size. Harman 2013 was a much better benchmark imho, at least for iem’s/ headphones.

My 2 cents, but yeah buds pro 2 are nice! Love the rubber finish on it

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 8, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #48,141 of 62,297
The TWX9 sounds nothing like the A-T sound, ironically.

Actually, rather than being upper mid forward, they’re actually a bit more on the polite smooth side.

They also have impact! Usually A-T has a lot of subbass roll off to increase the effect of the soundstage size. TWX9 remains very spatial despite great bass (probably DSP).

So far, TWX9 is the most “holographic” true wireless I’ve heard. Actually, that’s one of my main gripes with the 2018 Harman curve is that it brings the upper mids into focus and makes it more in your face and dynamic. This gives a very focused center stage but mediocre soundstage size. Harman 2013 was a much better benchmark imho, at least for iem’s/ headphones.

My 2 cents, but yeah buds pro 2 are nice! Love the rubber finish on it
I concur with holographic. I was listening this morning to a track that had so much depth and width, I then A/B the EX and realized it also is. I love both of these TWS.

Oct 8, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #48,142 of 62,297
Twx9 owners, could I ask please whether you think they're a decent pair for the gym?
Currently using xm4 tws on iPhone and looking for a new pair for the gym , probs between twx9, qc2s and app2. Decent connectivity, great ANC and great sound is what I'm looking for.

Oct 8, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #48,143 of 62,297
Because sooooooooo many folks can't take responsibility for themselves and want government to regulate their every action, us folks that choose to self-regulate end up suffering.
I mean look, I'm not a libertarian. I think government oversight can be a good thing in many instances. This is however not one of them, its just ridiculous.

Oct 8, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #48,144 of 62,297
Twx9 owners, could I ask please whether you think they're a decent pair for the gym?
Currently using xm4 tws on iPhone and looking for a new pair for the gym , probs between twx9, qc2s and app2. Decent connectivity, great ANC and great sound is what I'm looking for.
They will work but definitely would not be my first choice for the gym or anything on the go, especially given that you want something better than the XM4 for that purpose.

If I had an iPhone I'd get the app2. On Android. I really like the Huawei free buds pro 2 for on the go, especially because they are great on the bike with wind noise.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #48,145 of 62,297
Coming from Focal, I expected them to be far more expensive. Also looking forward to the review and how they compare to the AirPod Max which I have to admit I'm really enjoying when wireless and ANC is required. Still prefer my Stellia tho if I'm sitting out in the yard in one place, not moving around and it's quiet.
These are really tempting. I wonder how they might compare with the Ananda BT which are superb (yes open backed). $799 is a bit rough but I imagine they will start showing up in the classifieds quickly. Given I could spend $800 on 2 or 3 tws over the course of 6 months, might be worth a try.

Oct 8, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #48,146 of 62,297
They will work but definitely would not be my first choice for the gym or anything on the go, especially given that you want something better than the XM4 for that purpose.

If I had an iPhone I'd get the app2. On Android. I really like the Huawei free buds pro 2 for on the go, especially because they are great on the bike with wind noise.
Do they slip out easily? That would probably be a deal breaker. I don’t need to go for a run but even the app2 slip out on me with limited motion.

Oct 8, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #48,147 of 62,297

I wouldn't say just blind or impaired vision, but anybody that is situated in an area where there is regular traffic of vehicles, etc.. and you cross the streets or walk on the street often that that the likelihood of getting hit by a car is fairly high. I personally wouldn't trust myself in those environments or take the risk and be permanently disabled or worse. It's not worth the risk no matter how confident I am.

But yeah, it shows that QCII is doing what intended. And hope they are working on a solution for situations like I described.

Oct 8, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #48,148 of 62,297

Do they slip out easily? That would probably be a deal breaker. I don’t need to go for a run but even the app2 slip out on me with limited motion.
For me they are the ones that fit me better out of the box, no need to adjust, they just stay in the ears. I have several and none that are so good in terms of fit and being safe.

Oct 8, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #48,149 of 62,297

I almost hit by the cars many times even without headphone ---> I have worldly ANC inside my ears lol
Joke aside, people just being people- just btch about everything in existence and refuse the responsibilities

Oct 8, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #48,150 of 62,297
I almost hit by the cars many times even without headphone ---> I have worldly ANC inside my ears lol
Joke aside, people just being people- just btch about everything in existence and refuse the responsibilities
Amen... I don't need anyone to protect me from myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back