Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 6, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #48,121 of 61,376
Coming from Focal, I expected them to be far more expensive. Also looking forward to the review and how they compare to the iPod Max which I have to admit I'm really enjoying when wireless and ANC is required. Still prefer my Stellia tho if I'm sitting out in the yard in one place, not moving around and it's quiet.
I just played around with the spatical audio on the max and while they make my ears tired (clamping and more) they do sound great when you move your head around and the sound stays put so you get a sensation of room feeling/3d sound. Focal’s needs to be very very comfortable and have great sound for me to swap.

Oct 6, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #48,122 of 61,376
I have not been able to test these in Transit or walking in the wind etc. So no idea of how they will work in that regard, also no idea on battery life yet.

But from a purely musical perspective these are simply amazing. I am using them with no EQ and don't feel they need it at all. The default signature is divine. The bass can go deep as I want and the mid-bass does not mess with the midrange or mask that sub-bass. The upper mids and treble is perfect and in balance to my ears. No shoutiness that I can tell so far.

Now bear in mind I like the AKG sound and these have a lot of that signature minus being fatiguing.

I was thinking I might have made a mistake and should have waited to try maybe the new Soundcore Liberty 4 but this sound quality is so good I don't care. Yes that would have been cheaper but technically they both use dual dynamic drivers and I prefer non stem and I really am tired of all the hassle associated with LDAC.

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #48,123 of 61,376
I have not been able to test these in Transit or walking in the wind etc. So no idea of how they will work in that regard, also no idea on battery life yet.

But from a purely musical perspective these are simply amazing. I am using them with no EQ and don't feel they need it at all. The default signature is divine. The bass can go deep as I want and the mid-bass does not mess with the midrange or mask that sub-bass. The upper mids and treble is perfect and in balance to my ears. No shoutiness that I can tell so far.

Now bear in mind I like the AKG sound and these have a lot of that signature minus being fatiguing.

I was thinking I might have made a mistake and should have waited to try maybe the new Soundcore Liberty 4 but this sound quality is so good I don't care. Yes that would have been cheaper but technically they both use dual dynamic drivers and I prefer non stem and I really am tired of all the hassle associated with LDAC.
Amen, I just got them and they a huge step up from the first iteration of the Buds Pro. Sound sooo much better.

Have you tried the 360 audio with the head tracking turned on? Insane!

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #48,124 of 61,376
Amen, I just got them and they a huge step up from the first iteration of the Buds Pro. Sound sooo much better.

Have you tried the 360 audio with the head tracking turned on? Insane!
I am constantly moving my head lol now - once I realized that this was a thing

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #48,125 of 61,376
Hello, I have received my ATH Twx9 some days ago but I'm feeling very frustrated. Sound is amazing but everytime I use them the next time I take them out of the case the app does not recognize and I need to unpair and pair again the headphones, sometimes more than once to have them working. Has anyone had such issue with them as it makes it extremely annoying. Thanks

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #48,126 of 61,376
Looks like the ATH Twx9 are running about $220 USD from Amazon japan. Are they worth it? Would the sound quality bump from the QCII be worth it? I don't need another set of TWS but I may need these. If the sound is as high end as reported, seem like steal compared to the EX for twice the price.

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #48,127 of 61,376
Hello, I have received my ATH Twx9 some days ago but I'm feeling very frustrated. Sound is amazing but everytime I use them the next time I take them out of the case the app does not recognize and I need to unpair and pair again the headphones, sometimes more than once to have them working. Has anyone had such issue with them as it makes it extremely annoying. Thanks
I have a similar problem, at times I gotts manually connect them... Also at some rare occasions the controllers stopped working.

Hope for a new software update soon...

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #48,128 of 61,376
I switched the Samsung tips to the Sony Hybrid and they work like a charm... They add a level of isolation over the Samsung tips but warm the sound just a smidge. I like the change but will do some A/B testing on a couple tracks later and report back on the changes. Just a smidge more comfortable for me as I always find the Sony tips more comfy.

Default tips also are good but just felt a touch loose in my ear. So psychologically I find the Sony better as I am not worried about them slipping.

The ANC is just behind the Linkbuds S but very close to the same. Ambient is not nearly as good as the Linkbuds S.

Sonically these have much more sub-bass than the Linkbuds S, less lush mids, and more sparkle in the treble with alot better detail and better sound stage.

I enjoy the Linkbuds S alot but sonically the GB2 Pro is pretty much as good as I have heard. But if you don't care about bigger sub bass and enjoy the lush sound of Sony you might like the Linkbuds S more.

For me, I really have missed having good sub-bass in a TWS so these are keepers...

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #48,129 of 61,376
Looks like the ATH Twx9 are running about $220 USD from Amazon japan. Are they worth it? Would the sound quality bump from the QCII be worth it? I don't need another set of TWS but I may need these. If the sound is as high end as reported, seem like steal compared to the EX for twice the price.
I have a pair arriving early next week. Fingers crossed. I don't need them. Sigh... and listening to my EX right now! :L3000:

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #48,130 of 61,376
Short test, switched back to the Samsung tips and they add more jam for guitars, cymbals, etc.

But if you find these a bit to hot in those areas, the Sony tips help tame them down. Will try some Spinfit tips when I get home.

But the Samsung tips in this model actually work well as compared to the last version where they were just barely serviceable.

Oct 7, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #48,132 of 61,376
Got to meet Crinacle in California while attending CanJam and had him try TWX9 as seen in photo.

He didn’t like them but only had 10 seconds at it in a noisy environment (food court), and then handed me his Buds Pro 2.

I like em too honestly! But the TWX9 straight up wipes the floor with the Samsung minus noise canceling + Frequency Response (IF you’re into Harman. I find Harman mids too hot, bass too strong).

Ironically, TWX9 is more along the lines of Harman 2013 Target, which is their best target imho.

C5F41E17-0D8A-47E8-884A-F6BAA6E9E031.jpeg83D75237-C082-4D7D-8F41-F1992294D4F0.jpegD5434A0D-4592-4333-9D68-01B29FF26616.png
Intriguing statement, the part about "wipes the floor with the Samsung." That's a very bold statement. Where is the TWX9 measurement?

Oct 7, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #48,133 of 61,376
Intriguing statement, the part about "wipes the floor with the Samsung." That's a very bold statement. Where is the TWX9 measurement?
I suspect this is a matter of taste :).

I am super happy with the GB2 Pro but I LIKE that signature :). I am not much of an AT fan anymore. Just not a fan of their house sound. So might have the exact opposite experience of @dleblanc343.

I know the GB2Pro won't be for everyone but no TWS really is.

I may be enjoying these more because of the fact I am truly entrenched in the Samsung garden so get the full 24bit codec experience.

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #48,134 of 61,376

They are really, really good sounding. From all I've heard before, going from Sony XM3 -> Devialet Gemini -> Technics az60 (briefly) -> Huawei Freebuds Pro 2, the twx9 has the best, most full and natural presentation. Instruments sound great, really good mix, voices convey a lot of emotion. But, though I haven't used them very much around the city, their ANC and "hear through" seems so far "interesting" at best, and they are crap with wind, which is a bummer for me because I'm often on a bike. But in stationary environments, even a plane, I will be using these. Oh yeah, I forgot about the AKG, which I got while using the Gemini mostly. At the time I was impressed by how much more natural the AKGs sounded. I guess I would say that for me the ATH-TWX9 is like the best of the AKGs and Devialet Gemini combined. Sorry I can't compare with the EX, but from what's been said here they are of similar quality, and yeah, for $225 shipped I'm more than happy with these,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back