Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 1, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #47,011 of 62,573
I'm excited about these. Mine arrive Wednesday. When I listened to the sultan and then these at canjam, if I wasn't paying attention I could barely tell a difference. Which in my opinion is nice to have especially in a tws.
I hope you love them as much as I do. I’m a novice and I just stuck them in my ears and played Tidal music from my iPhone. AAC of course. I’m a little OCD so EQ’ing drives me crazy.

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #47,012 of 62,573
You don’t need Wifi bandwidth to for lossless: it takes too much power, is too expensive and doesn’t have the audio framework of LE Audio . Bluetooth LE is quite sufficient.

Also there is widespread confusion about LC3 and the plus version. For Bluetooth they are the same: standard LC3 is capable of 96/24. LC3Plus is aimed at other non Bluetooth markets.

However, nothing comes for free, if you want 96/24 then you will use more battery power but much less than LDAC and lose some other functionality.

Happy to answer other LE Audio questions…
That’s really interesting. I was wondering just today why Apple didn’t make the headphones use lossless Wifi Airplay or something like that

Aug 1, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #47,013 of 62,573
20220801_183441~2.jpg

Well all of the players are finally here. Time to listen.

Aug 1, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #47,014 of 62,573
I swapped out my MK2s and have been using the Sennheiser IE600 and the Moondrop S8 on the Fiio UTWS3 and Shure TW2 Gen 2. Honestly, I'm enjoying them much more! :metal::metal:
Nice! So I’m going to buy one of those two IEMs

I’m leaning toward the Moondrop because I’ve heard great things about their IEMs and I’m not into heavy bass. Female Vocals, jazz, classical, guitar are much more thing. What do you think?

I don’t have the Shure TW2. Do you think the S8 would sound good with the Fiio UTWS3?

A bonus would be I could use the Monarch’s with that magnificent cable they came with. I’d have paid a few hundred $ just for that cable!

Do you use a dongle or any kind of DAC AMP?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #47,015 of 62,573
How would you compare the fokus pro and the EX? Same universe in overall quality? Sound quality, mic quality, battery, etc
As an every day unit, I'd say the EX is better, but the Fokus does have the edge in sound quality for sure, but not leaps and bounds imo. But does. Better separation and power in Fokus. But if you need a great mic setup and the bells and whistles the EX offers, I'd go EX. I've had/have them both.

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #47,016 of 62,573
Nice! So I’m going to buy one of those two IEMs

I’m leaning toward the Moondrop because I’ve heard great things about their IEMs and I’m not into heavy bass. Female Vocals, jazz, classical, guitar are much more thing. What do you think?

I don’t have the Shure TW2. Do you think the S8 would sound good with the Fiio UTWS3?

A bonus would be I could use the Monarch’s with that magnificent cable they came with. I’d have paid a few hundred $ just for that cable!

Do you use a dongle or any kind of DAC AMP?
I'm using the S8 on the UTWS3. Sounds really great to me. Sadly, I never use anything but my iPhone and adapters. I move around too much while WFH, so it's easier for me. The only negative is that WFH has enabled me to buy way too many TWS and IEM sets. :frowning2:

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #47,017 of 62,573
As an every day unit, I'd say the EX is better, but the Fokus does have the edge in sound quality for sure, but not leaps and bounds imo. But does. Better separation and power in Fokus. But if you need a great mic setup and the bells and whistles the EX offers, I'd go EX. I've had/have them both.
I’d say the mic is the Achilles heel of the Fokus Pro…I can live without ANC since passive isolation is amazing and; and although I miss hear through mode, it’s not an much a blemish on the TWS as the muffled mic

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #47,018 of 62,573
I’d say the mic is the Achilles heel of the Fokus Pro…I can live without ANC since passive isolation is amazing and; and although I miss hear through mode, it’s not an much a blemish on the TWS as the muffled mic
Definitely agree with you. Every now and then a bt hiccup too. At least for me.

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #47,019 of 62,573
I'm using the S8 on the UTWS3. Sounds really great to me. Sadly, I never use anything but my iPhone and adapters. I move around too much while WFH, so it's easier for me. The only negative is that WFH has enabled me to buy way too many TWS and IEM sets. :frowning2:
Nice I’ll get the S8 then. I only use my iPhone, too.

When I want to go wired, I mostly use my HiBy FC5 with earphones but it doesn’t enough power for my Audeze a LCD-2 cans.

I have an iFi xDSD for that but it’s clunky.

I’m looking at the iFi gobar or maybe the Questyle M15.

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #47,021 of 62,573
Did you have any issues with the B&O EX?
Specifically on the left earbud not "starting"/"connecting" once you remove it from the box?
I have only had that happen a couple of times, didn't notice if it was L or R. All I did was return it to the case and remove it again and all was good.

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #47,024 of 62,573
I had the Oppo Enco X2 from Amazon and they're going back to where they came from. Had high hopes after an all-around positive experience with the Enco Air 2, but contrary to the latter, the X2 seem like a somewhat half baked product to me. Encountered multiple issues, even the largest tips being too small for large ears, proprietary tip mount, lack of space in the charging case for third party tips, BT-connection reverting from LDAC to AAC (despite the fact that my phone supports the former), about 10dB drop in bass when going from ANC mode to no ANC, you name it. Must confess I Lost patience after two hours of largely frustrating testing, even though the hybrid DD/planar driver seems very capable and sound quality would be stellar, if the rest of the package were up to snuff.

After a rather underwhelming experience with the Oppo Enco X2 (see quote above), I decided to try another DD/planar hybrid driver TWS, the Huawei FreeBuds Pro 2. The latter look extremely similar to the Oppos, but they're actually better suited for large ears and I was able to get a reliable seal with L-sized tips. However, the sound quality is not quite at eye level with the Oppos imo and frankly speaking, the default Devialet EQ preset is a warm bassy mess. I'm able to achieve more decent and neutral sound via the 10-band user EQ provided by the app, but the result still doesn't sound convincing enough to make me hold on to them.

So, back they'll go, just like the Oppos. And I'm holding on to my trusty JVC HA-FW1000T, which admittedly need rigorous EQ to sound good, but once properly equalized, beat the Huaweis in terms of SQ in my humble opinion.

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #47,025 of 62,573
After a rather underwhelming experience with the Oppo Enco X2 (see quote above), I decided to try another DD/planar hybrid driver TWS, the Huawei FreeBuds Pro 2. The latter look extremely similar to the Oppos, but they're actually better suited for large ears and I was able to get a reliable seal with L-sized tips. However, the sound quality is not quite at eye level with the Oppos imo and frankly speaking, the default Devialet EQ preset is a warm bassy mess. I'm able to achieve more decent and neutral sound via the 10-band user EQ provided by the app, but the result still doesn't sound convincing enough to make me hold on to them.

So, back they'll go, just like the Oppos. And I'm holding on to my trusty JVC HA-FW1000T, which admittedly need rigorous EQ to sound good, but once properly equalized, beat the Huaweis in terms of SQ in my humble opinion.
The Oppos look like hardware clones of the Hauweis so I guess these are the new Shenzhen standard AirPod pro challenge, which we can expect to see plenty more clones of, and firmware makes any difference, and the Devialet embossing on the Huawei case just represents an expensive EQ preset.

I'll be getting mine later this week so I'll see how they compare with your findings. Hopefully these will be fun for a while but I expect Apple will blow everyone out of the water again later this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back