Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 12, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #45,317 of 62,764
Hi Pitman,
You can still find Bose Soundsports free’s on the net, around $80 - $120..
These are open back by design, with an amazing wide soundstage…
Might be what you’re looking for..
@pitman907 These ARE fantastic for what they are (and that is a great price compared to when they were new), but keep in mind that they are connected ALL the time (or try to be) and therefore will use the case battery up in a few days... always. There is no way to power these down. You can leave them out of the case, and they will go to sleep, using less battery overall, but inevitably they still use power all the time. This has been a complaint since they first came out (which I have had mine since not long after that time) to which Bose has never answered.

I finally gave mine to my son because, while I did use them, I didn't use them often enough to justify the slow death that they were going through. My son uses them at least a little each day, so it is more worthwhile. Oh man, do they have some quantity of bass for an open TWS BTW!

May 12, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #45,319 of 62,764
PI7’s are very good…. All B&W need to do, is bundle a 5-7 band equalizer to the next APP update…
For my iPhone, treble boost sounds best.
For my Sony A55, using APTX, default seems to be the only option, but does sound fantastic.
I have an earlier Sony based on android and the 5 band EQ works here, again sounds great, but restricted to highSBC.
Overall a great bargain for the $299 sale price 👍

Please B&W, get that EQ out!!!!

May 12, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #45,320 of 62,764
PI7’s are very good…. All B&W need to do, is bundle a 5-7 band equalizer to the next APP update…
For my Sony A55, using APTX, default seems to be the only option, but does sound fantastic.
I have an earlier Sony based on android and the 5 band EQ works here, again sounds great, but restricted to highSBC.

Anymore that has become one of the few things left that I like about the Samsung phones (still rockin' Note 9 here). They have a system wide EQ that works pretty well, plus the "Adapt Sound" feature that basically does a hearing test and auto-EQs based on the frequencies you can and cannot hear. Overall it works a treat (when I use my phone, that is).

But I DO like having an EQ built into the app for the TWS because normally it will stay with them if/when you use another device whether you have the app installed or not on the other device.

May 12, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #45,321 of 62,764

Well, they haven't updated the (iOS) app for 9 months and haven't pushed out a single firmware update for the PI7 since their release as far as I know...so yeah...I wouldn't hold my breath.

May 12, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #45,323 of 62,764
Well, they haven't updated the (iOS) app for 9 months and haven't pushed out a single firmware update for the PI7 since their release as far as I know...so yeah...I wouldn't hold my breath.
Yep, we’ll see if B&W is serious about this product category…. Have to invest to compete, too much competition otherwise..
Thank you for the info!!

May 12, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #45,324 of 62,764
Looks like until these manufacturer’s can put out app’s that can fully optimize their TWS or over ear phones, we’re just going to have to match our TWS choices, to the Spec’s of our players.
Kind of frustrating…
Fortunately for me, I use my DAP most of the time. For streaming, I use Amazon HD (which has an EQ), and Neutron for local files (which has some of the best DSP that I have seen).

I find it funny because soon my DAP will have a newer version of android than my phone. I just hope that it will include AptX adaptive. From what I have read (don't have a link ATM) AptX and AptX HD is going away for adaptive.

May 12, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #45,325 of 62,764
Hello everyone. Just desperate to find an open back in ear monitor for our upcoming gig that is below $200. We don't want to feel isolated when using in ear monitors. We just need it for extra support so we can hear ourselves better. But still be able to hear ambient noise. Can you please help us? Thank you very much!

Sounds like you may be looking for wired IEMs for stage use? If so, maybe you can find a deal for the Westone AM Pro 10, 20 or 30.

Otherwise poke around the chifi or budget iem threads. This one is for TWS.

Unless you have a Bluetooth transmission system for stage use. In which case maybe something like the Sony WF-1000xm4 and adjust ambient mode's level to suit your environment.

May 12, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #45,326 of 62,764
Hello everyone. Just desperate to find an open back in ear monitor for our upcoming gig that is below $200. We don't want to feel isolated when using in ear monitors. We just need it for extra support so we can hear ourselves better. But still be able to hear ambient noise. Can you please help us? Thank you very much!

Sounds like you may be looking for wired IEMs for stage use? If so, maybe you can find a deal for the Westone AM Pro 10, 20 or 30.

Otherwise poke around the chifi or budget iem threads. This one is for TWS.

Unless you have a Bluetooth transmission system for stage use. In which case maybe something like the Sony WF-1000xm4 and adjust ambient mode's level to suit your environment.
Westone has some new IEMs coming.

https://www.westoneaudiomachseries.com/

May 13, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #45,327 of 62,764
I've had my Sennies in my ears since 10:25 am. Music on and off, calls, two Zooms and random transparency mode to watch the Mets game. Even walked around the house with my iPhone in the other room. No dropouts that were abnormal. Still at 30%. No fit issues and no pain. These are good. I definitely feel they're an upgrade.
These Sennies seem very promising for my hybrid use (music + work)

May 13, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #45,329 of 62,764
@pitman907 These ARE fantastic for what they are (and that is a great price compared to when they were new), but keep in mind that they are connected ALL the time (or try to be) and therefore will use the case battery up in a few days... always. There is no way to power these down. You can leave them out of the case, and they will go to sleep, using less battery overall, but inevitably they still use power all the time. This has been a complaint since they first came out (which I have had mine since not long after that time) to which Bose has never answered.

I finally gave mine to my son because, while I did use them, I didn't use them often enough to justify the slow death that they were going through. My son uses them at least a little each day, so it is more worthwhile. Oh man, do they have some quantity of bass for an open TWS BTW!
I think that soundsports free are wireless? I only have a wired in ear xvive system from sweetwater. I am replacing the shure earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back