Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 12, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #45,286 of 62,555
Time to try out some new earphones. I’ve sold my Gemini and although I’m enjoying the APP with ePro horn tips (thanks @BooleanBones ) they’re just not enough.
Fokus pro arriving today and just ordered the MTW3 from Audio46, so couple of days until that toy arrives.
Wish me luck on the adventure down the rabbit hole.

May 12, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #45,287 of 62,555
I finally tried the Technics AZ60. Coming from Devialet Gemini and AKG N400nc, the sound did not wow me at first, pretty tepid right off. I could not get anything satisfactory with app's EQ, but choosing AZ70's profile in Wavelet cranked up the 2-3k range considerably and that opened them up enough that I like them a lot now.

I really wanted them for the ANC and great battery life, and in that they do not disappoint, perhaps the best ANC I've heard, and their deep insertion passive isolation puts them over the top.

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned enough is how good their call performance is, not in that they have amazing clarity for the callee, but their "Just My Voice" feature does a great job of filtering out noise. I have an uncle in his 80's who's hard of hearing and he's always my test case. He gave these a thumbs-up for clarity, but more impressive was that I could do all kinds of stuff while conversing, e.g. using a power drill, washing dishes, etc. He uses a Bluetooth hearing aid on calls and he's always complaining about noise.
I just bit the bullet and picked up a pair, arriving tomorrow. Part of me really wanted to be drawn to the MTW 3, but the codecs put me off and it seems Technics has a hit here. I have some Spinfit tips coming sometime this century (as I'm no longer a Prime member, we'll see) and looking forward to it. If they sit in the case properly, unlike the B&O E8 3.0, I will be pleased enough.

May 12, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #45,288 of 62,555
I just bit the bullet and picked up a pair, arriving tomorrow. Part of me really wanted to be drawn to the MTW 3, but the codecs put me off and it seems Technics has a hit here. I have some Spinfit tips coming sometime this century (as I'm no longer a Prime member, we'll see) and looking forward to it. If they sit in the case properly, unlike the B&O E8 3.0, I will be pleased enough.
They were/are on my list to try, too. I was put off by stories of fit and being too big. I’m sure I should just try out for myself, but…

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #45,289 of 62,555
Do you experience what I have been "rambling" about for two pages? :) (clipping/disturbance in sound with movement like chewing etc)
Nothing yet. I only used them for a hour of music then an hour of an audiobook. I'll be using them all day on calls, zooms and music. I'll report back if I find any abnormalities. I might do some tip rolling, but the stock on the Sennies usually do well for me.

May 12, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #45,290 of 62,555
Time to try out some new earphones. I’ve sold my Gemini and although I’m enjoying the APP with ePro horn tips (thanks @BooleanBones ) they’re just not enough.
Fokus pro arriving today and just ordered the MTW3 from Audio46, so couple of days until that toy arrives.
Wish me luck on the adventure down the rabbit hole.
I have all the above. Including Boos recommended ePro tips :wink: I'll be stunned if you don't love the sound of the Fokus. My B&O EX beat the EQ so the EQ are going and the Astell&Kern are coming tomorrow from BH Photo. Ugh, this hobby causes madness.

May 12, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #45,291 of 62,555
My one big annoyance with the EX is the ambient/transparency seems really weak. Surprisingly to me, I think the MTW3 transparency performs very well and not real artificial sounding as some of the other TWS I have. AZ60s/APP are the only ones I have that compare in what I have heard so far. Will do some more A/B testing on this though.

May 12, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #45,292 of 62,555
I have all the above. Including Boos recommended ePro tips :wink: I'll be stunned if you don't love the sound of the Fokus. My B&O EX beat the EQ so the EQ are going and the Astell&Kern are coming tomorrow from BH Photo. Ugh, this hobby causes madness.
I’ll be stunned, too. I’ve been coveting them for some time. Finally took the plunge.

I never fell in love with the EQ like I did with the Gemini. Fit wasn’t there so maybe sound was impacted.

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #45,293 of 62,555
My one big annoyance with the EX is the ambient/transparency seems really weak. Surprisingly to me, I think the MTW3 transparency performs very well and not real artificial sounding as some of the other TWS I have. AZ60s/APP are the only ones I have that compare in what I have heard so far. Will do some more A/B testing on this though.
Isn't transparency adjustable in the EX' app?

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #45,294 of 62,555
I totally agree with you re: the EX transparency. I keep trying tips and adjustments and sometimes that helps, but something is weak for sure.

May 12, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #45,295 of 62,555
Isn't transparency adjustable in the EX' app?
It is, but it doesn't help. Not sure what's up. Maybe a mic is blocked by the fit or they need an update.
I’ll be stunned, too. I’ve been coveting them for some time. Finally took the plunge.

I never fell in love with the EQ like I did with the Gemini. Fit wasn’t there so maybe sound was impacted.
EX fit sooooooo much better than the EQ. I agree, the Gemini were great. They had little bugs, but the sound. Hopefully, gen 2 streamlines that case and irons out the issues. They nailed the soundstage for sure. I could never use them walking outdoors. They make movement noises not matter what tips I tried.

May 12, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #45,298 of 62,555
Using the stock tips that were preinstalled on the Sennheiser MTW3 and I gotta say, these are so much better than the 2s. So far so good. Okay, only 5 mins in, but instant like. More soon.
So I understand that the fit is good for you with the MTW3?

May 12, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #45,299 of 62,555
Been listening to these two back-and-forth for the past three days. I’m likely to return one of them, I’ll give a bit more impressions later. But what I can say is that the EX is the better of the two.
6926C696-A2AC-4831-96AB-9E952202F537.jpeg

May 12, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #45,300 of 62,555

Users who are viewing this thread

Back