Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 11, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #45,271 of 62,073
Agreed, with ANC off they sound pretty good (I prefer a slightly brighter sound than these have, tbh). I’m pretty sure I’m not doing any movement, though — I’ve worn IEMs for a very long time, and have had a number of TWS with ANC and never had this problem before.

The white noise seems to come and go on the right side. Like I said in my post a couple minutes ago, I’m pretty sure I have a defective one.
Yes if you sit still/not "chewing" and you still get popping, occasional squealing/white noise, I would guess you have a faulty bud.
I'm going to call Sennheiser tomorrow.

May 11, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #45,272 of 62,073
It's the same with wind noise reduction, I'm afraid :frowning2:
If you swap right and left does it still do it? I'm thinking it is crinkle and the one side builds up pressure with ANC on and can't vent as well as the other side which has no issue. Trying to see if it is the one bud itself or your ear seal and the other side would do it as well. If it is not your ear then it should be the one side and you can exchange them and try again. I'm leaning to some excess glue or something making a vent not as effective but not an issue till using ANC.

I could be onto something. Or not and it could be totally something else. :)

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #45,273 of 62,073
Yes if you sit still/not "chewing" and you still get popping, occasional squealing/white noise, I would guess you have a faulty bud.
I'm going to call Sennheiser tomorrow.
I ordered mine from Amazon, so I could just send ‘em back there. You think it’s better to try to get a replacement from Senn?

May 11, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #45,275 of 62,073
If you swap right and left does it still do it? I'm thinking it is crinkle and the one side builds up pressure with ANC on and can't vent as well as the other side which has no issue. Trying to see if it is the one bud itself or your ear seal and the other side would do it as well. If it is not your ear then it should be the one side and you can exchange them and try again. I'm leaning to some excess glue or something making a vent not as effective but not an issue till using ANC.

I could be onto something. Or not and it could be totally something else. :)
Not easy to compare when swapping left and right, due to the construction.
I think you're on to something about pressure building up.
The clipping/disturbance is not present when I don't place the bud all the way in place, or I use small tips that doesn't seal 100%.

But won't comment or try anymore before I talk to Sennheiser tomorrow.
If I have some useful info, I will post it then.

May 11, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #45,276 of 62,073
May 11, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #45,277 of 62,073
If I have some useful info, I will post it then.
Sorry, but had to post a new find :)

Found some Flexifit foam (L) I got with the Tevis.
Wow! No noise/popping/clipping at all, and SQ is on par with all silicon tips tested.
I think they work for me because they are noticably more shallow than other tips.

Attachments

• Bilde_2022-05-12_011408582.png
    Bilde_2022-05-12_011408582.png
    234.8 KB · Views: 0
May 11, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #45,278 of 62,073
I finally tried the Technics AZ60. Coming from Devialet Gemini and AKG N400nc, the sound did not wow me at first, pretty tepid right off. I could not get anything satisfactory with app's EQ, but choosing AZ70's profile in Wavelet cranked up the 2-3k range considerably and that opened them up enough that I like them a lot now.

I really wanted them for the ANC and great battery life, and in that they do not disappoint, perhaps the best ANC I've heard, and their deep insertion passive isolation puts them over the top.

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned enough is how good their call performance is, not in that they have amazing clarity for the callee, but their "Just My Voice" feature does a great job of filtering out noise. I have an uncle in his 80's who's hard of hearing and he's always my test case. He gave these a thumbs-up for clarity, but more impressive was that I could do all kinds of stuff while conversing, e.g. using a power drill, washing dishes, etc. He uses a Bluetooth hearing aid on calls and he's always complaining about noise.

May 11, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #45,279 of 62,073
May 11, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #45,280 of 62,073
Of course just go to the Home depot or hardware store or Amazon and get your Linkbud plugs much faster. I might go wood with some nice purple heart color stain....
1652295397453.png
If there was ever a DIY mod this is as good as any. All you need is to measure the opening right to get the right fit :)
That gave me ideas.
A1E8BC65-3CD4-4ADA-A65C-D1B92D2627E2.jpeg

Saved me 3$ :wink:
The results? Nothing mind boggling, they are not suddenly ’closed’ earbuds, the outside sound is a tad reduced and the bass is .. slightly different. Won’t even call it improved. More prominent, but muffled. Well, I can still try different materials. Tiny tinfoil torpedoes maybe.

May 11, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #45,281 of 62,073
Using the stock tips that were preinstalled on the Sennheiser MTW3 and I gotta say, these are so much better than the 2s. So far so good. Okay, only 5 mins in, but instant like. More soon.

May 11, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #45,282 of 62,073
The closed Linkbuds option some here might have waited for … spotted over on AliExpress… terrible shipping time though. Arrival July 10th… yikes.
Could be interesting, or disastrous.

Made some silicon plugs for the LinkBuds about 2 months ago... They do increase the bass and provide some passive isolation.
I had some small pieces of flat silicone and used a leather hole punch. I was expecting the hole punch to cut out perfect silicone cylinders, but instead made the shapes in the picture. They fit perfectly in the LinkBuds hole.

silicone plugs.jpg

Leather hole punch.jpg

Could use moldable silicone earplugs to seal up the hole. Just rip off a small piece and mold it into the LinkBuds hole.

ftiyegjihgmxujds7cci.jpg

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #45,283 of 62,073
That gave me ideas.
A1E8BC65-3CD4-4ADA-A65C-D1B92D2627E2.jpeg

Saved me 3$ :wink:
The results? Nothing mind boggling, they are not suddenly ’closed’ earbuds, the outside sound is a tad reduced and the bass is .. slightly different. Won’t even call it improved. More prominent, but muffled. Well, I can still try different materials. Tiny tinfoil torpedoes maybe.

Made some silicon plugs for the LinkBuds about 2 months ago... They do increase the bass and provide some passive isolation.
I had some small pieces of flat silicone and used a leather hole punch. I was expecting the hole punch to cut out perfect silicone cylinders, but instead made the shapes in the picture. They fit perfectly in the LinkBuds hole.

silicone plugs.jpg

Leather hole punch.jpg

Could use moldable silicone earplugs to seal up the hole. Just rip off a small piece and mold it into the LinkBuds hole.

ftiyegjihgmxujds7cci.jpg

Closing that hole entirely will likely increase distortion manyfold in the bass region, that's what makes them sound muffled. You can try to leave at least a small venting canal open, possibly by punching or piercing a narrow vent through that plug. This should still give you a bit more bass quantity vs. stock, but cause less damage to sound quality.

May 12, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #45,284 of 62,073
Closing that hole entirely will likely increase distortion manyfold in the bass region, that's what makes them sound muffled. You can try to leave at least a small venting canal open, possibly by punching or piercing a narrow vent through that plug. This should still give you a bit more bass quantity vs. stock, but cause less damage to sound quality.
I don't use the plugs. I was experimenting a couple months ago and just wanted to show what I made. The sound signature of the LinkBuds is much better as originally designed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back