Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 17, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #41,852 of 62,129
ANC not important and calls not important either. Just used for music and podcasts walking around, gym or at my desk. Size of case is really important. Want it to easily fit in my back pocket without a huge bulge.
If ANC is not important then the AZ40 is smaller in ear and the case is slightly smaller as well. I carry my AZ60 case in my front pocket a lot with no bulge, it would bulge a bit in my back pocket but not very much, the AZ40 should be even a bit smaller. The 60 fit my ears really well so the slightly smaller 40 should be even a bit more comfy.

Other than Technics you could look at Galaxy Buds Pro or 2 as they have a pretty tiny case.

Jan 17, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #41,853 of 62,129
Howdy everyone! Haven't posted in a few months. Went through quite a few different TWS units (Bose QC buds, Sony XM3 and XM4, Devialet Gemini) before settling on the Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch. I really like the way the MT sound (not as much as the Gemini, but the price, battery life etc made up for it). I still really like the MT but have a few issues with it that has me on the hunt for something as a companion. This thread has so much posted to it that I'm sure there are a ton of new options since I last looked here back in the summer.

My requirements for this new set would be:
-Small case! I really would love a set that I can keep in my back pocket as I walk around. I tried the Melomania 1+ and they sound great, fit great, and fit in my pocket well, but man do they look goofy sticking out of my ears. I've also tried pixel buds A (didn't like the sound) and the APP (didn't care for the sound). Both have small cases though.
-No finicky touch controls - the Melomania Touch controls drive me up the wall with how sensitive they are. Any time I shift them in my ears I inadvertently pause the music or turn up the volume.
-Charging - Need to have a solid charging experience. My MT seem to constantly come unseated from the charging pins. This causes my phone to connect to them even when they are put away in my bag.
-Need to have an option that is not black in color. People don't seem to recognize that I have something in my ears when wearing the black MT. When I'm walking down the street, people try to speak to me and when I don't respond they get offended. Apparently most folks can't tell they are even in there from a distance. I feel like Air Pods are very visible to people.

Definitely welcome any recommendations.

Thanks!!
Wow, I have been in the same boat as you for the past couple months. Eerie how similar the situations are, including charging & randomly connecting to phone. That's a common issue with MT, unfortunately. I can't even consistently charge with the case closed.

However, there are not many new options currently from within past 6 months. I looked into the AZ60, but not jumped the gun yet. I'm not yet sure if LDAC is a worthy upgrade over aptx. I have been trying to push off as long as possible for hopefully something new being announced like Sennheiser MTW3 to be actually worth the upgrade. I am not too hopeful though. CES was pretty much a wash. I might eventually end up going for AZ60 in next month or 2.

Jan 17, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #41,854 of 62,129
For those of you rocking the WF-1000XM4s with the latest firmware update, I am enjoying these EQ settings posted by another member in the dedicated WF-1000XM4 thread:

+1db at 400 and +2db at 1K (I also added +1 to the Clear Bass setting, but I am a basshead).

Overally, this seems punchy with better treble extension. The 1.3.3 firmware opened things up to my ears, but some members don't like the reduction in bass. The above settings bring it back mostly.

When it comes to the total package of sound quality and features, the WF-1000XM4s are hard to beat IMO (though the Galaxy Buds Pro are pretty darn good, but for the wonky fit and medicore ANC).

PS, if someone is looking for a killer TWS + IEM combo, I am selling my Shure AONIC 215 TWS + SE846s. I am focusing on the wired stuff right now. :)

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #41,855 of 62,129
I actually think the ambient is on par with the GBP. I use my GBP often as it is just so very easily paired with my Galaxy phone.

If you are happy with timeless than maybe hold off a bit. The Monarch Mk2 is quite good based solely on reviews as I have not tried them. I think it would be a bit different from the Timeless in tonality. So many people are very happy with what 7hz has accomplished. They were an unknown company who just threw the industry on their heads... Kinda like the Blon 03 back in the day.
A lot of my stuff came in today. Hated the tripowin zonie 16 spc 2.5mm with the timeless. Really surprised me how diff it made it. Original 3.5mm cable is great. I wish I could buy the 2.5mm timeless cable if anyone knows a place. I'm happy with the sound as is, but I'm curious.

The lea. What. This to me is pretty close to the timeless tier when eq'ed. The timeless is still more technical, but the tonality of this is just diff. It's actually more apples and orange territory than it being many tiers below. Man for $26 I just can't believe it, LMAO! I haven't even tried the mele yet. I'm so in shock by the lea. Thanks for recommending it, I was gonna skip it!

Jan 17, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #41,856 of 62,129
Mele, interesting tuning. I like the lea better. I'd have to mess with the eq for the mele.

The KZ CRN, What. Just sounds nasally to me. I don't think I like crin's tuning, so I guess I won't be going through his line of iems.

So far, for each one I'd go as far as to put into diff tiers. Lea yes, mele maybe, crn no.

Lea > Mele > KZ CRN

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #41,857 of 62,129
I just got the KZ-AZ09 Pro TWS adapters. Wow. They are the small. They're also quite powerful and more powerful than the BT30 by far. Messed up my cut on one adapter but for the price, it's okay. They work, I just ripped a little too much. My OCD is kicking in. Here's a few pics of the size difference compared to the UTWS3. Paired the KZs to the Mangird Tea IEMs just now and boom! Really good stuff. The Mangirds are much better than the Thieaudio Legacy 5s I returned. By a fair margin IMO.

Attachments

• 98D5BB9E-09BB-4CD3-ABED-CF9F22F271F0.jpeg
    98D5BB9E-09BB-4CD3-ABED-CF9F22F271F0.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 4B906F96-FFA1-49C2-9263-6D24B14B3341.jpeg
    4B906F96-FFA1-49C2-9263-6D24B14B3341.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 0DFD0330-AD25-4D9C-A0C4-F1A9581D8AFA.jpeg
    0DFD0330-AD25-4D9C-A0C4-F1A9581D8AFA.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Jan 18, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #41,858 of 62,129
Howdy everyone! Haven't posted in a few months. Went through quite a few different TWS units (Bose QC buds, Sony XM3 and XM4, Devialet Gemini) before settling on the Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch. I really like the way the MT sound (not as much as the Gemini, but the price, battery life etc made up for it). I still really like the MT but have a few issues with it that has me on the hunt for something as a companion. This thread has so much posted to it that I'm sure there are a ton of new options since I last looked here back in the summer.

My requirements for this new set would be:
-Small case! I really would love a set that I can keep in my back pocket as I walk around. I tried the Melomania 1+ and they sound great, fit great, and fit in my pocket well, but man do they look goofy sticking out of my ears. I've also tried pixel buds A (didn't like the sound) and the APP (didn't care for the sound). Both have small cases though.
-No finicky touch controls - the Melomania Touch controls drive me up the wall with how sensitive they are. Any time I shift them in my ears I inadvertently pause the music or turn up the volume.
-Charging - Need to have a solid charging experience. My MT seem to constantly come unseated from the charging pins. This causes my phone to connect to them even when they are put away in my bag.
-Need to have an option that is not black in color. People don't seem to recognize that I have something in my ears when wearing the black MT. When I'm walking down the street, people try to speak to me and when I don't respond they get offended. Apparently most folks can't tell they are even in there from a distance. I feel like Air Pods are very visible to people.

Definitely welcome any recommendations.

Thanks!!

AZ60

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #41,859 of 62,129
Did anyone in the thread try the JVC HA-FW1000T?

Im just curious about any impressions since I can't buy it myself without paying around 100 EUR extra in shipping/import fees, but they're available in Amazon US/UK.

Kinda sucks that there's no app for a 300$ device tho!
It's coming. I'll compare with my AZ60

Attachments

• BC389A6C-8644-4C14-AD21-546A26B43830.jpeg
    BC389A6C-8644-4C14-AD21-546A26B43830.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 18, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #41,860 of 62,129
A lot of my stuff came in today. Hated the tripowin zonie 16 spc 2.5mm with the timeless. Really surprised me how diff it made it. Original 3.5mm cable is great. I wish I could buy the 2.5mm timeless cable if anyone knows a place. I'm happy with the sound as is, but I'm curious.

The lea. What. This to me is pretty close to the timeless tier when eq'ed. The timeless is still more technical, but the tonality of this is just diff. It's actually more apples and orange territory than it being many tiers below. Man for $26 I just can't believe it, LMAO! I haven't even tried the mele yet. I'm so in shock by the lea. Thanks for recommending it, I was gonna skip it!
Nice man, ya the Timeless cable isn't bad at all, single crystal copper, silver plated with silver foil or something close to that. The Zonie may not be right. At least you can see that cables definitely make a difference in tonality and pairing has to be good. People like to always tell me that cables make no change... Lol... Okay. Anyways, man I'm glad you like the Lea, amazing what is out there in the budget world these days

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #41,861 of 62,129
I just got the KZ-AZ09 Pro TWS adapters. Wow. They are the small. They're also quite powerful and more powerful than the BT30 by far. Messed up my cut on one adapter but for the price, it's okay. They work, I just ripped a little too much. My OCD is kicking in. Here's a few pics of the size difference compared to the UTWS3. Paired the KZs to the Mangird Tea IEMs just now and boom! Really good stuff. The Mangirds are much better than the Thieaudio Legacy 5s I returned. By a fair margin IMO.
Sweet man.... I figured you'd like the Teas... Legends in the price point. Ya I'm enjoying the az09 pro alot... I can't believe kz did such a good job on these man. Once I kick in high gain... Everything just comes alive. I still have to be reasonable what I put in them as far as sensitivity goes but so far I too like them

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #41,862 of 62,129
Sweet man.... I figured you'd like the Teas... Legends in the price point. Ya I'm enjoying the az09 pro alot... I can't believe kz did such a good job on these man. Once I kick in high gain... Everything just comes alive. I still have to be reasonable what I put in them as far as sensitivity goes but so far I too like them
I am going to have to wait (again) on getting the UTWSx. I had to have the Amp12 card for my DX300, and a bunch of new cables. Plus, I just got the Timeless not long ago. Hobby budget = blown for now! :cry:

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #41,863 of 62,129
I am going to have to wait (again) on getting the UTWSx. I had to have the Amp12 card for my DX300, and a bunch of new cables. Plus, I just got the Timeless not long ago. Hobby budget = blown for now! :cry:
Haha... You and I both... I'm going to have to wait to purchase anything for a bit. This hobby is ridiculous man, always something you have your eyes on. I think whatever version of the utwsx you get whenever that is... You'll be happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back