Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 10, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #4,051 of 62,573
Just tried to compare Earins to TMW. TMW have been sitting in my briefcase pocket "sideways" (the TWM case in a pocket so that the bottom of the TMW case is touching the side of the briefcase) since about 10pm last night, when both were fully charged. it's currently 11am, and the case and TMWs are both totally dead.

So that's a consistent issue. I'd bet if I left them with the case sitting "upright" they'd still be pretty much fully charged.

Oh, and this might be important to know if you're carrying them - the Earin M2 case is highly magnetic on the bottom. See pic.
IMG_0422.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #4,052 of 62,573
Just tried to compare Earins to TMW. TMW have been sitting in my briefcase pocket "sideways" (the TWM case in a pocket so that the bottom of the TMW case is touching the side of the briefcase) since about 10pm last night, when both were fully charged. it's currently 11am, and the case and TMWs are both totally dead.

So that's a consistent issue. I'd bet if I left them with the case sitting "upright" they'd still be pretty much fully charged.

Same here. Really annoyed. Passed my 30 day window to return but going to push them to take it back.

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #4,054 of 62,573
So the actual magnet on the Earin M2 case is on the very bottom of the "inside" part of the case - the part that holds the actual IEMs. It makes contact with the bottom and that's the "magnetic seal." If you open the case, you can stick a paperclip on the outside and it will travel up and down the outside of the case as you raise and lower the inside part.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #4,056 of 62,573
Touch controls are good for a screen in front of you, not for a device sitting on the sides of your head that you'll be using while in motion. One of the biggest issues I had with the e8 was that taking my shirt off or reaching over my head kept triggering the touch controls from my shoulders lightly brushing up against them. It'd either pause the music or turn on transparency mode, and that's not something you want happening in the middle of exercise. Not to mention trying to make volume adjustments on the fly is a PITA.

If you can see the display and aim at what you want like a cell phone, I heavily prefer the screen, but otherwise it's like trying to text on a modern smartphone with the phone hidden under a blanket. Impossible.
I agree it's kind of hit or miss, not only based on what you're doing, but also the manner in which the physical controls are activated. For instance, when jogging, I find I can tap on the earbuds easier than physical controls with top mounted buttons that I have to press downward vs. inward. I find the jostling of my strides moves my arm up and down too much whilst also exerting additional downward force, so I sometimes have to re-sit/seal the earbud. In most other cases, physical controls are better, but I do like the novelty of touch controls and just fewer mechanical elements in general.

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #4,058 of 62,573
It shows in Developer options. If you haven't enabled the Developer options yet, you can just google it.
No longer necessary in Android Pie, just directly to the Bluetooth options.

The G1 does NOT have AAC unlike what they claim in the specs.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #4,060 of 62,573
It shows in Developer options. If you haven't enabled the Developer options yet, you can just google it.

Thanks. I'd actually looked at that screen earlier, I just didn't realise that it updated to show the current connection.

The Sabbat X12 was indeed using AAC by default on my Galaxy S8. It thing has a very impressive spec sheet for less than $40.

The Havit I93 seems to only support SBC, but it does just fine for my commutes still.

Spotted the Sabbat E12 with wireless charging on AliExpress, but even if it wasn't twice the price of the X12 I don't want to get in the habit of collecting a pile of TWSes :)

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #4,061 of 62,573
Comparing the M2 to the MTW without sound comparison while the MTWs charge:

1. Case. Earin clearly wins. The case is about 1/3 longer, but the round cylinder form factor is really nice - easier to find space for. Plus the MTW has all those well-documented charging "quirks and features" (to quote Doug DeMuro) that make it unreliable. The Earin case just seems better all around - I like the machined aluminum look better than the burlap thing, the whole "cradle" thing seems better engineered than the simple holes on the MTW case, there are 3 lights to indicate charge on the case and separate ones on the inside for each IEM, on and on.

The MTW has USBC, which is a big plus. And the Earin magnetic bottom is concerning. The MTW case is also magnetic enough to hold a paperclip near the clasp, but I think that's less likely to come in contact with something problematic than the entire quarter-sized bottom of the Earin case's cylinder. But those are the only advantages on the case.

2. Fit/finish of IEMs. The Earins are tiny. In fact, this makes them a bit hard to fit properly compared to the MTWs, which go into my ears perfectly as if made for them. You can put the M2s in wrong pretty easily because they fit anywhere. I can see that for some people that would be an advantage - I can't see anyone having fit problems with these like the problems I have had with the E8. The M2s also seem more "high-tech" due to the size and shape - it just make them look less plasticky and more advanced. Both are light (they feel about the same to my hands), but the lightness of the MTW combined with the plain matte black plastic makes them seem a little cheap in comparison.

3. App. The Earin app is weird. It has "gain" - which is just volume and thus kind of useless (just use the buttons on the phone) and balance but no EQ. It also only tells you the power level of the master IEM, not both, and does so by filling up a circle rather than giving you a percentage. The presentation is incredibly minimalistic and "homemade" looking - you either like that or not. The transparency setting part is fantastic, though it has a volume adjustment for the ambient sound, as well as a "Near/Far" adjustment. It also allows you to use it in "Auto" where it automatically engages when the music stops but is otherwise off. The "Near/Far" thing is amazing - I can talk to my wife but still not hear the TV (or vice-versa! :dt880smile:).

The MTW app has an EQ. It's kind of goofy but better than nothing. But transparency is wonky (never got it to work while music plays) and the battery levels engender angst due to their granularity.

4. Connection. MTW is rock-solid. I've never had a drop or cutout. Never had an issue connecting to phone or app. Just put them in and hear "connected." It's kind of cumbersome to switch devices if both are in the same room (have to put them in pairing mode and pair with the second device each time), but other than that this aspect is really solid.

Earin's connection process is a PITA. Horrible. The app needs to see each IEM connected separately to work. But when the IEMs are running only one or the other is "connected" to the phone and the other is a "slave." Thus if either one is out of the case, the phone connects to that one and disconnects from the other one. So I can only get the app to work when both the IEMs are in the case - the only time I can connect both to the phone. The IEMs themselves work fine, but if I want to use transparency mode or balance I have to put them in the case, open the app, then remove them from the case with the app running. Then if I switch out of the app and back in I have to restart the whole process. Thank goodness I didn't have to update the firmware. I haven't even tried connecting them to a second device - the thought exhausts me.

More once the MTWs are charged up.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #4,062 of 62,573
Have been a long-time lurker of this thread, and have had brief experiences with true wireless earbuds before (got launch airpods, had Jabra 65t Active for a week or so but my pair had issues). My neckbuds have died on me so looking to get a pair of these. They will likely become my daily driver, and I really use headphones almost constantly whilst commuting and working, so they (and their case) need to be pretty sturdy and ideally not pick up scuffs easily. USB-C, decent hear-through mode (wasn't super impressed by Jabra's), and maybe sweat/water resistant or at least okay to wear running are also preferred. Sound quality obv a key requisite too but I'm streaming from Spotify so need to bear that in mind. Other headphones are my QC35s - was looking to upgrade these, but could kill two birds with one stone and just get one of these at the top of my budget.

Are there any pairs which do fit any/all of these requirements? I've outlined the pairs I've been looking at below - if I'm wrong about any of these, or if I'm missing a really good pair, please let me know!

Sennheiser: apparently best sound, stacked with features, USB-C etc, but very expensive and have read numerous QC (or software?) issues on the internet. Also don't seem that versatile from images - will the fabric case hold up and keep its colour and shape (within reasonable limits) in the long-term?
MW07: read reviews from best sound to not actually that good - probably need to try them out, but otherwise seem really cool even if they aren't stacked with features. Case looks amazing but is there a way to stop it getting scratched to hell within seconds? Would love to justify getting either this pair or the Sennheisers but need some reassurance haha

Earin M2: missed the sale :/ look pretty cool bar micro-usb and the fact it's not in stock in black currently.
Jabra Elite Active 65t: tried these before, think I had a faulty pair but had a weird hiss on one of the earbuds. Otherwise sound quality was good and super versatile, but controls a bit finicky and case is pretty bad (micro-usb, not magnetic).
RHA Trueconnect: out of stock everywhere, no hear-through or app, limited codecs, connection issues cited - will probably be updated or improved in next batch so may as well wait, but generally quite like their design and qualities.
IconX: basically impossible to source in the UK for a reasonable price, also battery life puts me off.
Sony and B&O: connection issues, don't seem worth the price.

Thanks!

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #4,063 of 62,573
Have been a long-time lurker of this thread, and have had brief experiences with true wireless earbuds before (got launch airpods, had Jabra 65t Active for a week or so but my pair had issues). My neckbuds have died on me so looking to get a pair of these. They will likely become my daily driver, and I really use headphones almost constantly whilst commuting and working, so they (and their case) need to be pretty sturdy and ideally not pick up scuffs easily. USB-C, decent hear-through mode (wasn't super impressed by Jabra's), and maybe sweat/water resistant or at least okay to wear running are also preferred. Sound quality obv a key requisite too but I'm streaming from Spotify so need to bear that in mind. Other headphones are my QC35s - was looking to upgrade these, but could kill two birds with one stone and just get one of these at the top of my budget.

Are there any pairs which do fit any/all of these requirements? I've outlined the pairs I've been looking at below - if I'm wrong about any of these, or if I'm missing a really good pair, please let me know!

Sennheiser: apparently best sound, stacked with features, USB-C etc, but very expensive and have read numerous QC (or software?) issues on the internet. Also don't seem that versatile from images - will the fabric case hold up and keep its colour and shape (within reasonable limits) in the long-term?
MW07: read reviews from best sound to not actually that good - probably need to try them out, but otherwise seem really cool even if they aren't stacked with features. Case looks amazing but is there a way to stop it getting scratched to hell within seconds? Would love to justify getting either this pair or the Sennheisers but need some reassurance haha

Earin M2: missed the sale :/ look pretty cool bar micro-usb and the fact it's not in stock in black currently.
Jabra Elite Active 65t: tried these before, think I had a faulty pair but had a weird hiss on one of the earbuds. Otherwise sound quality was good and super versatile, but controls a bit finicky and case is pretty bad (micro-usb, not magnetic).
RHA Trueconnect: out of stock everywhere, no hear-through or app, limited codecs, connection issues cited - will probably be updated or improved in next batch so may as well wait, but generally quite like their design and qualities.
IconX: basically impossible to source in the UK for a reasonable price, also battery life puts me off.
Sony and B&O: connection issues, don't seem worth the price.

Thanks!

Both the MTW and MW07 meet your criteria and if you are looking for a true daily driver to replace your cans. I would put the true connect and m2 tied for 3rd place. M2 is overpriced at 250 but a good deal at 175. MTW is probably the best all arounder at the moment. I decided today I'm going to roll with both the MW07 and the MTW. They are best and I need the best.

As for the mw07 case, just keep it in the small pouch. I can confirm it will scratch immediately upon contact with anything other than air. Good luck.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #4,064 of 62,573
Both the MTW and MW07 meet your criteria and if you are looking for a true daily driver to replace your cans. I would put the true connect and m2 tied for 3rd place. M2 is overpriced at 250 but a good deal at 175. MTW is probably the best all arounder at the moment. I decided today I'm going to roll with both the MW07 and the MTW. They are best and I need the best.

As for the mw07 case, just keep it in the small pouch. I can confirm it will scratch immediately upon contact with anything other than air. Good luck.

Thanks for this - if you had to choose only one of MW07 or MTW, what would you go for? Also what do you use as a case for the MW07s? Had a look and unsurprisingly nothing bespoke, but any ideas of stuff I could easily source would probably impact my decision.

EDIT: also the best colour for them - hard to tell without seeing them in person!

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #4,065 of 62,573
I'm a little weird about logos - partially in that for companies like Nike or other brands, we've somehow been duped into playing a "keeping up with the Joneses" game of representation/free advertising (we've bought in hook, line, and sinker that the brands we associate with are WHO we are - e.g. Apple, Beats, SoulCycle, Adidas etc) I have started to resent this as a situation where individuals are voluntarily providing free advertising, often to companies that they only like because they think they should or they cost a good amount. I know I tend to overestimate the degree to which this is actually exploitative (people aren't really being hurt per se), but I do view it as something that's just a little backward in modern culture. Personally, the brands that appeal to me the most are those that make quality products and don't label or do big graphics etc. For example, although they are pricey and bougie, I like Outlier's pants - they form the foundation of my minimalist wardrobe.

Now, the Klipsch earbuds in particular - I'm not opposed to a company including an identifying/recognizable symbol on TW earbuds - in some cases, a little design logo can add to the aesthetic. My issue with the Klipsch one is that, subjectively, I think they look large and boxy and that is exacerbated by what I consider to be one of the most garishly unattractive logos I've seen on an electronic. In addition, the logo writing appears to be gold contrasting with black - and despite being from Steeler country - not my cup of tea and makes the garish logo *pop* that much more.

If the audio quality was there for the price..... I'd maaaybe think about it. But otherwise, the logo, it's prominence, and the size of these earbuds means that I may be unfairly not giving them a chance. :grimacing:

Er... I think it's kind of the opposite here. People on here are ridiculously avoiding products because of the branding. That's not any better, it's still letting the "trendiness" of a product affect your decision. Besides, they're TWEs, not massive full-size cans. People are talking like the logos are these big four-foot billboards stapled to your head. It's bizarre.

Everyone seems to be taking their "I like quality products" to such an insane degree that there's a "pride" in not having logos or whatever on themselves. Who cares? Why does everything need to be a political statement? I want to listen to music, **** do I care if there's a logo slapped on them? Hell I use my Project Rocks and they're so branded and logo-ified it's downright obnoxious, but they're also the best gym headphones I've had so I'm not going to avoid them.

Then again I can't get too grumpy since we're both in Yinzer country so I gotta cut you some slack, LOL. Might see ya at Music to My Ear someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back