Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 9, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #40,021 of 62,079
Argh. Just ordered the Shure Aonic 215 TW2 for no good reason other than being heavily discounted on the blue colour. Oh, yeah also my Fiil T1XS out of nowhere started having connectivity hiccups so that is my excuse… don’t judge me 😆
Dude.... Do you see who you are talking to here... You know how many excuses I make to purchase audio gear.... It got silly years ago bro.. Lol. 😅

Dec 9, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #40,022 of 62,079
Got the Fiil T2 pro the other day and I am very happy with them. Exactly what I wanted: pretty much same phenomenal sound as the T1, much improved ANC. Also nice and compact. Actually took them running today since they fit nicely under a winter hat. The “thud” is not too bad, but wind noise is terrible when hit by wind straight on. But overall it was a great experience.
Now, maybe there are ANC settings I am not aware about. The English translated fan-version of the app does not support the T2 yet. Have to go look if there’s a new version.

Other thing: anyone know when the Beats Fit Pro will be released in Japan? Would make a nice xmas present for myself. I see Amazon jp already selling cases. But no listing yet with rls date for the buds …

Dec 9, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #40,023 of 62,079
Got the Fiil T2 pro the other day and I am very happy with them. Exactly what I wanted: pretty much same phenomenal sound as the T1, much improved ANC. Also nice and compact. Actually took them running today since they fit nicely under a winter hat. The “thud” is not too bad, but wind noise is terrible when hit by wind straight on. But overall it was a great experience.
Now, maybe there are ANC settings I am not aware about. The English translated fan-version of the app does not support the T2 yet. Have to go look if there’s a new version.

Other thing: anyone know when the Beats Fit Pro will be released in Japan? Would make a nice xmas present for myself. I see Amazon jp already selling cases. But no listing yet with rls date for the buds …
Aaaaaand once again, answering my own questions regarding the T2. There is indeed a new version of the English app, v3.40 a link can be found in the description of a review video on YT. By some Oscar :wink:. Took me a while to install, I am hapless in Android.
And indeed, there is a wind mode in ANC (or MAF as they call it), but it is not in the standard button cycle, hence I never got it activated while running.
There’s also EQ with presets. Nice! Really liking those buds now even more. Just hope there comes an iOS app some day.
DDC6259E-C0F4-4042-9C95-61835C0A1EBB.jpeg

And as suspected, buttons / presses can be modified as wanted. The advanced mode adds ie volume control (single / triple taps), I keep that off for now as I really enjoyed that slight fit adjustments did not trigger anything :wink:
Other stuff:
AAAA0716-AFD2-4B67-9175-9003FB7B0C0C.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #40,024 of 62,079
Aaaaaand once again, answering my own questions regarding the T2. There is indeed a new version of the English app, v3.40 a link can be found in the description of a review video on YT. By some Oscar :wink:. Took me a while to install, I am hapless in Android.
And indeed, there is a wind mode in ANC (or MAF as they call it), but it is not in the standard button cycle, hence I never got it activated while running.
There’s also EQ with presets. Nice! Really liking those buds now even more. Just hope there comes an iOS app some day.
DDC6259E-C0F4-4042-9C95-61835C0A1EBB.jpeg

And as suspected, buttons / presses can be modified as wanted. The advanced mode adds ie volume control (single / triple taps), I keep that off for now as I really enjoyed that slight fit adjustments did not trigger anything :wink:
Other stuff:
AAAA0716-AFD2-4B67-9175-9003FB7B0C0C.jpeg

I’m not sure why Fiil first releasing their new app to android only and then much later to iOS. I have the iOS version for the T1XS and the list of devices doesn’t include some models. Weird marketing choice.

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #40,025 of 62,079
Multipoint is supposedly coming to the Elite 7 Actives and Pros sometime in January. I had them off my list as potential upgrade from my Elite Active 75t's because of this missing feature but I'm now considering them again. I was leaning towards the 7 Pro since it has the same IP57 rating and supposedly has a better mic which is absolutely a necessity for me since I'm on Cisco Jabber calls all day. Can you expand why you prefer the Elite Active 7 and how it compares to the Active 75t and 7 pro?
I read a review by Jim formerly of, or maybe still of, Jim's Review Room on Instagram where he said the sound was a bit better on the 7 Active. Could be psychosomatic, but I do feel they sound better. I also like the silicone grip, which seems to make them fit better in my ears. I haven't tried the 7 Active on calls yet. I'll do that today on a bunch of Zoom calls and report back. I haven't had the 75T for a year or more but I do remember they were slightly bigger (by small bit). They also just never fit me well and I do very much prefer the size and sound on the 7 series.

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #40,026 of 62,079
Argh. Just ordered the Shure Aonic 215 TW2 for no good reason other than being heavily discounted on the blue colour. Oh, yeah also my Fiil T1XS out of nowhere started having connectivity hiccups so that is my excuse… don’t judge me 😆
Oh nice. I truly love my TW2. Slap an upgraded Shure IEM on them and you'll be in heaven. Yesterday, I went down an rabbit hole in search of the new Fostex TM2C and am sitting with my finger on the purchase button. Anyone know a number of a good therapist?

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #40,027 of 62,079
Oh nice. I truly love my TW2. Slap an upgraded Shure IEM on them and you'll be in heaven. Yesterday, I went down an rabbit hole in search of the new Fostex TM2C and am sitting with my finger on the purchase button. Anyone know a number of a good therapist?

I was looking at the Fostex TM2C a few months ago but voted against it because the app was half-baked and the new app version with the EQ and customize sound ID was never released even though they said they will... I might be missing some details but that was the gist of it.

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #40,028 of 62,079
I disagree with what they've told you above. These are what I purchased and they did in fact fit my XM4s just fine. Type E is what you want. They also come with that little red adapter that lets you adapt them for the Shure/Westone buds. Hmm, maybe I should revisit for that. Either way, you can just return them if you don't like them. I did that with my Finals because they're just Sony clones from way back. I had a few of the Sony tips in my arsenal.
I never said they don't fit. They are just not the tws version. The yes version have shorter stems. Most tws don't insert as deep as a traditional IEM.

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #40,029 of 62,079
I am going to give my trusty Sony hybrids a try on the AZ60 today. Will see what that does to the sound. Know they will be more comfy even though I really like the default tips. Those original Sony hybrid tips are simply the best tip ever made for comfort...

Edit: The Sony change the sound quite a bit! Treble has a lot more sizzle, vocals have added sibilance, bass is different... will need to spend more time with different tracks to give a better opinion on the bass.

I have old man ears, so the added treble and midrange is simply more revealing for me, might cross the line for younger more sensitive ears. I have some wider mouth tips that would be more like the default tips minus the foam insert, I will try a pair of those at some point. My suspicion is they may make the AZ60 to sharp for me which will make me glad I have left the default tips alone...

I tried tips from my soundcore liberty 2. Fit is better as not as deep insertion. Like you it opens up mids and treble even more somehow but does take away from the bass.
The Technics tips have a longer more rigid tube which I think is better for bass. Same as my final E tips.

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #40,030 of 62,079
I was looking at the Fostex TM2C a few months ago but voted against it because the app was half-baked and the new app version with the EQ and customize sound ID was never released even though they said they will... I might be missing some details but that was the gist of it.
The EQ feature is in there. I had the first gen and was able to EQ them. The app is definitely generic, but it did work on the last gen fine, at least in my experience. I liked the modular aspect of them, but thought they were overpriced without a battery case. What's holding me back is that that case is still HUGE and the buttons are definitely not as nice as the TW2s.

The negative to buying the new Fostex TM2C here in California is that they aren't avail online anywhere and to purchase, I have to pay a Paypal invoice and have a music store in San Diego CA ship them to me. Blah.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #40,031 of 62,079
I never said they don't fit. They are just not the tws version. The yes version have shorter stems. Most tws don't insert as deep as a traditional IEM.
I stand corrected :smile_phones:

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #40,032 of 62,079
I was checking them out as well. I heard (don't know how true or untrue) that the Fostex don't have alot of output power. Prob good for sensitive iems, which should be just fine for any that I have. The Fiio's have more than enough and are quite a bit less but without the changeable adapters. I was just hashing this out with myself... Lol... Should I just wait for the utws5?

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #40,033 of 62,079
I saw on AliExpress that TRN has the BT30 out now. I haven't tried them, but they are still on the cheaper side. They look to output a lot more power (I think 45mW vs 16mW or something).

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #40,034 of 62,079
I was checking them out as well. I heard (don't know how true or untrue) that the Fostex don't have alot of output power. Prob good for sensitive iems, which should be just fine for any that I have. The Fiio's have more than enough and are quite a bit less but without the changeable adapters. I was just hashing this out with myself... Lol... Should I just wait for the utws5?
Personally, I'm not even Shure my old ears could tell any difference in sound, output etc. *rimshot. I truly like the modular aspect of the Fostex, then I can swap 2 pin and MMCX. So many great 2 Pin options out there at a fraction of the cost of the Shure SE846 I have. The TRN BTS20 Pro were modular too. Less options on them and no app. I had the first gen of the Fostex and although they worked well for me, the lack of the battery case and the wonky button on the bottom pushed me to the Shure TW2s. That said, my wild hair is growing and now that there's a place who can sell them to me, I may just take the plunge. Should you wait? I guess if you don't care about a modular aspect and you love Fiio, sure, wait it out. OR, try them all from a place with a great return policy :deadhorse:

EDIT: After looking at the case, I remember now. Some IEM, such as the Moondrop Blessing 2s barely fit in the case. Also, the USB-C input connector was recessed deeper than normal. Only the USB-C cable that came with the TRNs worked properly. Maybe they fixed this on those new BT30s @tinyman392 mentions above.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #40,035 of 62,079
I saw on AliExpress that TRN has the BT30 out now. I haven't tried them, but they are still on the cheaper side. They look to output a lot more power (I think 45mW vs 16mW or something).
42mw@16ohm. The FiiO has 54mw@16ohm. Though the FiiO though is not on the cheaper side being $50 more.

TRN still kept that silly zip case though. TWS with a zip case really! :)

KZ AZ09 Pro is the best design and the cheapest but doesn't do MMCX. Best arm for fit and comfort and the smallest modules and 4.5 grams weight.

FiiO @ $130 with no ear phones and no features. At least the TRN can change connectors.

We really need more models since that competition is what will drive them to give us more of the features we want at a fair price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back