Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 3, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #39,871 of 62,380
Depends on who they let tune it, I suppose. Could be very similar to the mu3 in terms of sig, which isn't exactly a bad thing.

Thanks, friend! I'm a little apprehensive with AKG products since Samsung basically bought the name and outsourced the tuning. The reliable AKG engineers went off to make Austrian Audio, so I don't know how much of the legacy you're going to see in the N400. If they manage to stick to the Harman target and can somehow adjust for loudness properly, I don't see why they wouldn't sound great, though.

Here's the collection as it stands/remains.
IMG_20211201_154612.jpg
85t are still the all-purpose workhorse, surprisingly, though I really wish the tones on their HearID system were just a hair louder. It's really hard to hear most of the tones, but the system overall is pretty effective.

FITS can just be worn practically forever and the DD inside has really matured, helping the low end come out. They're still considerably more neutral than most pairs out there, but it's so good on execution/technicalities.

The Club Pro+ have been the really surprising pair. Their ANC and hearthrough are still pretty weak, but serviceable enough to justify use. They're dead simple to pair up. Wireless charging works flawlessly. EPro tips make these practically perfect for fit and seal.

Unfortunately, the WH3 no longer charges via the USB-C port, but wireless charging does. Think I've gotten one update for the entire lifecycle of the product. Sound sig and lack of support really don't justify the purchase and it seems the WH2 brings more of the same. There's a little bit of hope now that the WH3 is registered in the AutoEQ database, but even it's not enough of a correction to make these worth what they're asking.

We all know about the MTs. I don't have the volume issues anymore. The occasional disconnection still happens, but it's very rare. Still recommend these for the sound signature.

The ADVs are...fine. they'd do the trick if you wanted an aptX pair that was no-fuss, but the mic could really be improved to use as a conference pair. They're very well built, though.

Falcon Pros are still the detail champs of the TWS bunch. The preamp controls finally seem to stick, letting me reliably use aptX adaptive without the artifacting. Using Neutron's AGP really helps.

And the CX400BT? Just fantastic for creating a mood around the music. Can't knock them for that. Still were never worth $200.

The story learned over this journey? Take breaks. You learn way more about your equipment when you just allow yourself to "exist" with it.
Welcome back buddy! 👍

I see you still got most of the same buds. Try or add anything new to the collection?

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #39,872 of 62,380
Welcome back buddy! 👍

I see you still got most of the same buds. Try or add anything new to the collection?
Thanks, man! Nothing new. Fokus is really the only thing grabbing my attention and my money is being better used elsewhere at the moment.

To be honest, I've given away about 1/3 of the TWS that have come in at this point. Few more to go (1 of which does require an "upgrade" of sorts). The ultimate goal is to get it down to a total of 5, then eventually 3. It's gonna hurt doing the same sort of downsizing with the big boys, though.

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #39,873 of 62,380
Are you browsing from mobile or your computer? Personally, I prefer Bandcamp. Tends to have a lot more of the unsigned, hidden-gem talent out there.

Didn't mean to dig at you, but saw a good opportunity to discuss it. That article is really informative, especially when it mentions how dependent signal strength is on bitrate. Figured that's pretty important.

Glad you're seeing a quality boost with LDAC!
Mostly mobile but PC here and there. Thanks man! I’ll check out bandcamp.
I always enjoy hidden gems.

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #39,874 of 62,380
Thanks, man! Nothing new. Fokus is really the only thing grabbing my attention and my money is being better used elsewhere at the moment.

To be honest, I've given away about 1/3 of the TWS that have come in at this point. Few more to go (1 of which does require an "upgrade" of sorts). The ultimate goal is to get it down to a total of 5, then eventually 3. It's gonna hurt doing the same sort of downsizing with the big boys, though.
I have settled on 3 TWS as my daily rotation and the Jabra for working out when that becomes a thing for me in the future.
Nothing crazy expensive but with my ideal sound signature so I’m pretty pleased.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #39,875 of 62,380
Tested using the AZ60 on my computer as multi-point and it works awesome. There was a bit of clipping between the 2 ear pieces but very livable and that might be more the Teams session. Will have to see what happens on more calls. The audio sounds very good and the people on the call said I sounded very clean. I was playing music on my phone and when I switched it automatically just stopped playing.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #39,876 of 62,380
Anyone with a Shure TW2 get a firmware update to version 1.3.13.0? I can't find a changelog online and am not sure what changed, but my SE846s still sound great paired with the TW2.

Also, if anyone has suggested EQ settings to try for the SE846 on the TW2, I would appreciate it. I'm currently using a modified version of the ShurePlay app's Bass Boost setting, with the gain at 125 Hz set to 4 db.

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #39,877 of 62,380
Anyone with a Shure TW2 get a firmware update to version 1.3.13.0? I can't find a changelog online and am not sure what changed, but my SE846s still sound great paired with the TW2.

Also, if anyone has suggested EQ settings to try for the SE846 on the TW2, I would appreciate it. I'm currently using a modified version of the ShurePlay app's Bass Boost setting, with the gain at 125 Hz set to 4 db.
I posted mine here a few days back. Check the thread gallery above. :beerchug:

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #39,878 of 62,380
I posted mine here a few days back. Check the thread gallery above. :beerchug:
Thanks. Do you use those settings with the TW2 / SE846, or just the Aonic Free?

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #39,879 of 62,380
Thanks. Do you use those settings with the TW2 / SE846, or just the Aonic Free?
Both so far. I have to say, I seem to be using the Free more than my TW2s lately. Would love to know what other IEMs work with the TW2s outside of the Shure IEMs. Know of any others?

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #39,880 of 62,380
Tested using the AZ60 on my computer as multi-point and it works awesome. There was a bit of clipping between the 2 ear pieces but very livable and that might be more the Teams session. Will have to see what happens on more calls. The audio sounds very good and the people on the call said I sounded very clean. I was playing music on my phone and when I switched it automatically just stopped playing.
Multi-point does for sure work great on them. One issue I had with my Apple gear... if I had them paired with my Mac and my iPhone at the same time. When I tapped to play music, my Mac would boot iTunes when I wanted to use my iPhone. This has happened to me with other mp featured buds too. Not an isolated incident. Sigh...

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #39,881 of 62,380
Multi-point does for sure work great on them. One issue I had with my Apple gear... if I had them paired with my Mac and my iPhone at the same time. When I tapped to play music, my Mac would boot iTunes when I wanted to use my iPhone. This has happened to me with other mp featured buds too. Not an isolated incident. Sigh...
This is one of the more annoying things on the Mac. If you find a way to disable iTunes from launching, please chime in here!

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #39,882 of 62,380
This is one of the more annoying things on the Mac. If you find a way to disable iTunes from launching, please chime in here!
I was just using my phone to start playing music, not the buds. I don't have any pairs right now that offer mp. Flipped the AZs for other reasons.

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #39,883 of 62,380
In a lot of BT devices dual-multi-point tends to select one device as the music player and one device as the phone. So it would default the phone duties to the phone and music duties to the music player. In this case it's set up your phone as the phone and Mac as your music player. Typically you connect your music player first then your phone, but I could also be wrong (about this or everything). I rarely use multi-point with BT devices though, they are never standardized and can be finicky sometimes.

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #39,884 of 62,380
Try this if you haven't already. There is a way to change your default music player on the Mac. But I don't know if it'll change the default player for pressing the play button. I can guarantee there is a way around this on the Mac though (since it's not nearly as closed off).

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #39,885 of 62,380
In a lot of BT devices dual-multi-point tends to select one device as the music player and one device as the phone. So it would default the phone duties to the phone and music duties to the music player. In this case it's set up your phone as the phone and Mac as your music player. Typically you connect your music player first then your phone, but I could also be wrong (about this or everything). I rarely use multi-point with BT devices though, they are never standardized and can be finicky sometimes.
Totally agree. The multipoint buds I've used tend to drive me a bit nuts with what they want to connect to and when. Could be user error, but I'm pretty savvy. Even my AirPods Max have issues some days. Tried what you said above, but sadly you can't tell it to open "nothing." No biggie for me as I'm multi-pointless now. No puns intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back