Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 2, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #39,856 of 62,013
There will always be something better that comes out.
However, these really hot the sweet spot in terms of price sound functionality and fit.

Any sonic improvements will require newer codecs that are higher bandwidth and better battery technology. Right now the limitation of TWS is cramming so much into a small housing whereas an item of similar size needs no electronics.
Yep, I know. I actually had a fit issue with them. They hurt my ears after a few hours. I did love the ANC and Transparency mode for sure. And VERY MUCH preferred them over the AZ70s.

Dec 2, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #39,857 of 62,013
You really won't unless the source material needs it. I don't think 990 (aka highest bitrate) is even utilized unless I put on 24/96 material. Most Redbook stuff seems to fit well within the 660kbps bandwidth.

Won't hurt to leave it at Highest Bitrate though, as I'm pretty sure it's still adaptive and scalable.
On Amazon HD unlimited
"Amazon refers to HD tracks as having a ”bit depth of 16-bits, a minimum sample rate of 44.1 kHz (also referred to as CD-quality), and an average bitrate of 850 kbps”. UHD tracks, on the other hand, “have a bit depth of 24-bits, sample rates ranging from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz, and an average bitrate of 3730 kbps"

Dec 2, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #39,858 of 62,013
On Amazon HD unlimited
"Amazon refers to HD tracks as having a ”bit depth of 16-bits, a minimum sample rate of 44.1 kHz (also referred to as CD-quality), and an average bitrate of 850 kbps”. UHD tracks, on the other hand, “have a bit depth of 24-bits, sample rates ranging from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz, and an average bitrate of 3730 kbps"
Amazon Music also has a chronic problem with reporting bitrates to host devices. Drove me nuts on the SR25, to the point where I just don't bother with the platform altogether, but I digress.

The misnomer with LDAC, however, is in that it's an inherently lossy codec. Content is compressed prior to transfer, so the bitrates of the source file won't match the bitrate by the receiving device.
Screenshot_20211202-195119__01.jpg
Good news is it's really hard to detect any of that compression/decompression happening with LDAC when it's well-implemented. Certainly favor it over aptX Adaptive, which still has a lot of wrinkles to iron out and a lower max throughout.

This article doesn't go fully into it, but you can kinda read between the lines:
https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #39,861 of 62,013
Off-topic but for those who consume streamed music, what's your (ideally free) go-to app with the best sound quality?
My favorite music app is currently Deezer and their sound quality is excellent. LiveXLive isn't too shabby as well.
I find Spotify to have poor sound quality and low volume as well.
Are you browsing from mobile or your computer? Personally, I prefer Bandcamp. Tends to have a lot more of the unsigned, hidden-gem talent out there.

Well trchnobabble aside, I can honestly say I hear a legitimate improvement in using ldac over AAC. Or rather the higher resolution and bitrate of Amazon HD via LDAC vs AAC from YouTube music.
Didn't mean to dig at you, but saw a good opportunity to discuss it. That article is really informative, especially when it mentions how dependent signal strength is on bitrate. Figured that's pretty important.

Glad you're seeing a quality boost with LDAC!

Dec 2, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #39,862 of 62,013
Are you browsing from mobile or your computer? Personally, I prefer Bandcamp. Tends to have a lot more of the unsigned, hidden-gem talent out there.

Didn't mean to dig at you, but saw a good opportunity to discuss it. That article is really informative, especially when it mentions how dependent signal strength is on bitrate. Figured that's pretty important.

Glad you're seeing a quality boost with LDAC!
No worries.
Read this which was my point against lower bit rate LDAC .

https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ulti...MQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1j78GnI0bw39PW7Xk639vQ&ampcf=1

Dec 2, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #39,863 of 62,013
Dec 2, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #39,864 of 62,013
Well trchnobabble aside, I can honestly say I hear a legitimate improvement in using ldac over AAC. Or rather the higher resolution and bitrate of Amazon HD via LDAC vs AAC from YouTube music.
I have not had much luck getting LDAC to
Are you downloading to your device or streaming (may have missed you saying this)? Have you tried their Ultra HD tracks yet? I will get the walkman out and play some tracks again. I got too irritated with it last time I was listening for differences on Amazon :D I do know I ended up downloading them and going into airplane mode in order to get some stability in the connection. This thread was meant for the walkman settings, but alot of it is general settings and discussion with LDAC. Might give you some additional settings to work with using LDAC. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-sony-40th-anniversary-walkman-thread.909629/page-156

Dec 2, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #39,865 of 62,013

Are you downloading to your device or streaming (may have missed you saying this)? Have you tried their Ultra HD tracks yet? I will get the walkman out and play some tracks again. I got too irritated with it last time I was listening for differences on Amazon :D I do know I ended up downloading them and going into airplane mode in order to get some stability in the connection. This thread was meant for the walkman settings, but alot of it is general settings and discussion with LDAC. Might give you some additional settings to work with using LDAC. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-sony-40th-anniversary-walkman-thread.909629/page-156
Another setting to keep in mind, if you know you won't listen to anything higher than Redbook (16/44), is to lock in that bit-depth and sample rate in Developer Options (Qudelix 5K owners might recognize this method). For some reason, it helps with throughput and, theoretically, SQ in that use case.
Screenshot_20211202-203627.jpg
Screenshot_20211202-203755.jpg

But keep in mind it won't revert if you try to play something Hi-Res later; made that mistake a couple times :/

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #39,866 of 62,013
Yeah 330 is an issue; distortion appearing at 15k and up would easily be audible. Guess 660/990 is preferred if you can lock it in (it's in Developer Options).
Have mine set for 990. If my plan is to multitask and want connection to iPad/PC and phone at same time will drop to AAC and take advantage of multipoint.

Originally was wanting the xm4 but got these for 60% the cost and enjoy having multipoint and all controls on the buds. ANC is not quite same level bit is very good and mic quality reported better though haven't tried yet.
Really only thing I miss is Wireless charging bit to be honest it's a feature I realize I over value as I only need to charge the (tiny) case every week or 2.

Dec 2, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #39,867 of 62,013

Have been streaming Amazon music.
All tracks are at least HD which is cd quality and much higher bit rate than Spotify etc.
Many tracks are ultra HD.
Both sound amazing and noticeably better with LDAC.

Dec 2, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #39,868 of 62,013
Have mine set for 990. If my plan is to multitask and want connection to iPad/PC and phone at same time will drop to AAC and take advantage of multipoint.

Originally was wanting the xm4 but got these for 60% the cost and enjoy having multipoint and all controls on the buds. ANC is not quite same level bit is very good and mic quality reported better though haven't tried yet.
Really only thing I miss is Wireless charging bit to be honest it's a feature I realize I over value as I only need to charge the (tiny) case every week or 2.
Comes in handy if the USB port dies lol (tsk tsk HiBy)

Dec 2, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #39,869 of 62,013
Comes in handy if the USB port dies lol (tsk tsk HiBy)
I guess. My wireless charger is very finicky anyway. Some buds it charges fine others I think it's charging as the case lights up and find out it is hot and battery never charged. That can't be good for case battery long term.
Figure I have warranty of 1 year plus another on the credit card so if usb port craps out I'm fine as in 2 years there will be while new technology by them for earbuds.

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #39,870 of 62,013
Another setting to keep in mind, if you know you won't listen to anything higher than Redbook (16/44), is to lock in that bit-depth and sample rate in Developer Options (Qudelix 5K owners might recognize this method). For some reason, it helps with throughput and, theoretically, SQ in that use case.
Screenshot_20211202-203627.jpg
Screenshot_20211202-203755.jpg

But keep in mind it won't revert if you try to play something Hi-Res later; made that mistake a couple times :/
Thanks, will dig into those. Totally agree, should be irrelevant on most of that "extra" stuff, but eliminating any unnecessary load on the device will be good. Fortunately I am easily pleased with a good CD quality recording after growing up pushing the play and record buttons to build my playlists :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back