Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 29, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #38,911 of 62,437
Not that the buds are anything good but this design is pretty cool...
51ff3HMBl1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Just need to add a spring mech and button so as you take them out you press the button and they open up for you to take out. They really got to start doing stuff with cases. The buds have been progressing but not the cases. No storage, no interesting designs from the big brands, no swappable batteries. The Pi7 had the transmitter built in which was at least something though not something that interested me.

Interesting design, never mind the buds. But I wonder about the resistance and durability of the hinges and if they would endure the “in and out of pocket” over time. As much as it may be a different and interesting design, maybe useful as a selling point, as I’m taking your word about their foul sound quality, it shouldn’t be like this.

A less-than-us informed person, which is 99% of the people, will maybe pick this up “because the case is nice”. But, to me, it’s what’s inside that’s most important. A sturdy case with a good lighting scheme, small enough to fit your pocket and Qi charging is very welcome.

Otherwise just stick to developing the bluetooth stability and quality and ensure the amp/crossover/drivers are well constructed and implemented. Then you have to worry about fit, battery life and app. TWS is not easy and we’re the guinea pigs in the lab.

It all comes down to sound quality. That’s what matters most, to me.

Oct 29, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #38,912 of 62,437
Can firmware updates on TWS really alter sound quality?

Most definitely!

Edit: obviously hardware can’t be changed, so if the quality of the components wasn’t up to par to start with, forget it. There’s only so much you can do to alter the firmware. But if the implementation was correct enough, everything from timbre to tonality all the way to clarity, imaging and separation can be addressed. Ultimately correcting what should’ve been done in the first place.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #38,913 of 62,437
I'm thinking about picking them up from Amazon based on what you mentioned, because I definitely enjoy a more neutral sound, but I already have some good earbuds in the Sennheiser MTW2's and Devialet Geminis, but I'm having some huge fit issues with the Devialet Geminis (plus i'm not huge on their midrange and treble) to the point of actual chafing on my tragus, and the Sennheisers are pretty poor with calls and can sound a touch anemic at times and the low-end is a bit disappointing.

Only thing is that I find that the shallow eartips that i've seen the comfobuds use tend to not isolate in my ears that well.
The Comfobuds Pro isolation with the tips won’t create a tight seal but it’s by design since their core is oval shape but you can fit other tips too. It’s one of them TWS that don’t require super seal.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #38,915 of 62,437
Most definitely!

Edit: obviously hardware can’t be changed, so if the quality of the components wasn’t up to par to start with, forget it. There’s only so much you can do to alter the firmware. But if the implementation was correct enough, everything from timbre to tonality all the way to clarity, imaging and separation can be addressed. Ultimately correcting what should’ve been done in the first place.
Ok, thanks. So there might be hope that the LP3'S can have that harsh treble toned down then? I've EQ'ed the worst of it away, but it's still not ideal.

Oct 29, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #38,916 of 62,437
Speaking of Soundpeats, for the H2 they went stem...
02_thumb.jpg

01_thumb.jpg

So that AT filing for a CKS50TW has appeared...
https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/product/ATH-CKS50TW
samune_thumb.jpg
image3_thumb.jpg

5.2, TW mirroring, aptX and adaptive, 9mm solid bass HD driver, 360 Reality Audio compatible, new hybrid tips...
image5_thumb.jpg
, 15 hours with noise cancelling on and 20 hours off 50 with the case, 10 minute charge for 90 minutes play, IPX4, low latency mode, fast pair, multipoint(2 devices), and an app to change controls/volume steps/EQ/locator/etc. ~$160 from yen and probably $179 here??

Guess AT are the first to hit the 20 hour mark? Leave the case at home lol!

I always liked the AT sound, so this is interesting (also out are the M50xBT2, cool)

Oct 29, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #38,917 of 62,437
I did and I loved them. I wound up returning due to my own issues with over ear headphones. Sometimes they just do not feel comfortable. That said, I never tried a wired connection. If you get them, get a deal. They're not worth full price. Call B&O. They're very responsive on the phone. Maybe they can help.
Just a quick question for you @erockg !~I believe you have an H95 from B&O!
I am seriously considering replacing my B&O Portal with H95, one thing I want to know is, does H95 supports passive audio with USB-C - USB-A connection? I see a lot of mixed and vague answers on this topic!
FWIW: I own the H95 and mostly use the BT. However, just tried to connect the USB-C (H95) to the USB-A (iMac). And it works fine, when the H95 are turned on.

Oct 29, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #38,918 of 62,437
Ok, thanks. So there might be hope that the LP3'S can have that harsh treble toned down then? I've EQ'ed the worst of it away, but it's still not ideal.

Of course at the price they don't have the armature custom tuned and they are probably off the shelf and don't have the correct dampening. The answer may just be to pull off the screen and insert some foams which they sell or just change the screen with Hifiman or others for sale after doing the homework since there will be more transparent and brighter ones and some that filter out treble. Or just try to cut squares from a tea bag and put that over the bore and put the tip on. Or spread out some material from a cotton ball and put inside the tip.

Should be able to fix these in like 5 minutes. :)

Oct 29, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #38,919 of 62,437
Of course at the price they don't have the armature custom tuned and they are probably off the shelf and don't have the correct dampening. The answer may just be to pull off the screen and insert some foams which they sell or just change the screen with Hifiman or others for sale after doing the homework since there will be more transparent and brighter ones and some that filter out treble. Or just try to cut squares from a tea bag and put that over the bore and put the tip on. Or spread out some material from a cotton ball and put inside the tip.

Should be able to fix these in like 5 minutes. :)
I tried micro-pore tape when I first got them to hopefully help and it did not at all. The only thing I could do was eq the frequency 6k and above down quite alot to tame the tizzy, metallic sheen off of the treble. I am so puzzled how a company would let these out the door with default tuning the way they did. With that being said... I did swap tips to a pair of tfz no. 3 tips which seem to help alot, eq'd the hell out of them. Dude, these drivers are very capable drivers that sound fan-freaking-tastic when eq'd right. Not kidding at all, mine sound great. The drivers can handle quite a bit of manual tuning thru eq.

Oct 29, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #38,920 of 62,437
Have any of you guys had a chance to listen to the AG Tws04k? I keep passing on them. I like the fit of the Pureplay z3 and these have the identicle shell of those so they would likely fit me good but I was wondering if anyone has actually listened to them

Oct 29, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #38,921 of 62,437
I tried micro-pore tape when I first got them to hopefully help and it did not at all. The only thing I could do was eq the frequency 6k and above down quite alot to tame the tizzy, metallic sheen off of the treble. I am so puzzled how a company would let these out the door with default tuning the way they did. With that being said... I did swap tips to a pair of tfz no. 3 tips which seem to help alot, eq'd the hell out of them. Dude, these drivers are very capable drivers that sound fan-freaking-tastic when eq'd right. Not kidding at all, mine sound great. The drivers can handle quite a bit of manual tuning thru eq.
They are not expensive so it is not horrible they didn't totally tune them right. But with armatures it is most likely just dampening them correctly which any one can do if they feel the need. I am more of a golden ears but for me micropore tape is not any good for tuning. Maybe for dynamic driver treble if you are not that discerning. Save it for bandaging the boo-boos. :)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #38,922 of 62,437
They are not expensive so it is not horrible they didn't totally tune them right. But with armatures it is most likely just dampening them correctly which any one can do if they feel the need. I am more of a golden ears but for me micropore tape is not any good for tuning. Maybe for dynamic driver treble if you are not that discerning. Save it for bandaging the boo-boos. :)
I hear you... I didn't have the heart to pull the grills off at the time so... Micro-pore tape, tips, eq. That's OK because you can eq them to decent

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #38,923 of 62,437
I have the GBuds Pro and they are comfy and sound good to me. But the stock tips are not great so you might find yourself having to buy or use other tips. I am using Sennheiser CX/MTW2 tips which work great but will add another $15 to the cost.
Call it 10.00 Shipped here in the US https://en-us.sennheiser.com/silicone-ear-adapter-5-pairs

I used the G Buds Pro on a call for the first time and the clarity was pretty damn good. The overall sound when listening to music leaves me wanting more bass and more expansion/ separation. I've tried several different tips to improve the sound and so far the best have been the SednaEarfit Crystals. To me seems like everything is better, clearer, more immediate, less muddy, except for the bass. I listen to classic to hard rock/ metal so your experience may vary. The fitment is certainly better but I tried a couple of different sizes of the Crystals to get there.

Anybody know if there's a good EQ the G Buds Pro? I'm streaming music from Tidal.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #38,924 of 62,437
I'm thinking about picking them up from Amazon based on what you mentioned, because I definitely enjoy a more neutral sound, but I already have some good earbuds in the Sennheiser MTW2's and Devialet Geminis, but I'm having some huge fit issues with the Devialet Geminis (plus i'm not huge on their midrange and treble)
What specifically don't you like about the Devialet Geminis midrange and treble?

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #38,925 of 62,437
What specifically don't you like about the Devialet Geminis midrange and treble?
No offense to them but if they talk about huge having fit issues there you can't take much stock in sound impressions with a bad fit. :)

I hear you... I didn't have the heart to pull the grills off at the time so... Micro-pore tape, tips, eq. That's OK because you can eq them to decent
You got all the other stuff people try that is sometimes around the house. Cotton(from ball or swab:)), pantyhose, teabag or coffee filters, old t-shirt, earbud foam, etc. Those mostly just go in the tip or under it and over the bore. Some trial and error and you can nail it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back