Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 14, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #38,446 of 62,182
... and fit. The CX Plus fit me waaaaay better than the AZ70s did. Looking forward to trying the AZ60s for sure. They look smaller and might fit me better.
I have a fairly large concha so the AZ70 fit but they are bigger. I am looking forward to the AZ60 for size and some of its features.

I actually really like the shape of the CX400BT the box shape make these really easy to grab without impacting their comfort.

Sennheiser simply cut a corner or two on features on this model putting it at a disadvantage with other products. Sonically speaking for music it is very good. I will have to compare to what I have but just giving these a listen, they sound as good as anything I own. I think they sound better than the WF1000XM3 and a bit better than the Status Between Pro (not quite as warm, so more a preference thing). They have better passive isolation than the ANC mode of the Galaxy Bud Pro. I rate them very similar to the AZ70 for sound quality just different in signature.

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #38,447 of 62,182
I have a fairly large concha so the AZ70 fit but they are bigger. I am looking forward to the AZ60 for size and some of its features.

I actually really like the shape of the CX400BT the box shape make these really easy to grab without impacting their comfort.

Sennheiser simply cut a corner or two on features on this model putting it at a disadvantage with other products. Sonically speaking for music it is very good. I will have to compare to what I have but just giving these a listen, they sound as good as anything I own. I think they sound better than the WF1000XM3 and a bit better than the Status Between Pro (not quite as warm, so more a preference thing). They have better passive isolation than the ANC mode of the Galaxy Bud Pro. I rate them very similar to the AZ70 for sound quality just different in signature.
And th Senn have multipoint connectivity, sort of. You need to go to the app and switch to the other device. Very useful to me despite not being fully hands off.

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #38,448 of 62,182
Will have to check that feature out, thanks for the tip :).

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #38,449 of 62,182
Will have to check that feature out, thanks for the tip :).

When you go to the Sennheiser app it’s under Connections.
24E0077F-4C97-4FFC-8EEB-967B62420A6C.jpeg

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #38,450 of 62,182
Has anyone actually compared the CX400BT with the CX plus?

I would be very curious since I'm already familiar with the CX400bt. I compared the CX400bt, AZ70, and Sony xm3 back in December. I thought CX400BT had the best sound quality and best soundstage. Especially in the lows & highs. I believe AZ70 had the best, clearest mids though. From the 3, the cx400bt had the best sound + had aptx but least features, looked cheaply built, and fit/comfort issues. If they solved those issues on the CX plus, it would be a steal for $170.

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #38,451 of 62,182

I would be very curious since I'm already familiar with the CX400bt. I compared the CX400bt, AZ70, and Sony xm3 back in December. I thought CX400BT had the best sound quality and best soundstage. Especially in the lows & highs. I believe AZ70 had the best, clearest mids though. From the 3, the cx400bt had the best sound + had aptx but least features, looked cheaply built, and fit/comfort issues. If they solved those issues on the CX plus, it would be a steal for $170.
I found this comparison below between the CX 400BT and the CX but not the CX Plus. I assumed the CX and CX Plus are identical other than the ANC but seems like some people feel like the CX Plus and the CX have different tuning so not sure.
https://www.scarbir.com/tws/sennheiser-cx-review

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #38,452 of 62,182
I believe the CX Plus is a bit smaller and from other reviewers it has harder bass than the 400BT. But definitely more features. I am not sure I would want more bass than what I am hearing now though, but that can be tamed by the EQ.

At $80 the 400BT offer amazing sound quality. I don't feel they are to plasticky, no more so than the Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro or the WF1000XM3.

At their original price though that would be a tougher sell...

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #38,453 of 62,182
I found this comparison below between the CX 400BT and the CX but not the CX Plus. I assumed the CX and CX Plus are identical other than the ANC but seems like some people feel like the CX Plus and the CX have different tuning so not sure.

This guy does very good reviews and has a thorough comparison between CX Plus and CX400

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #38,454 of 62,182
Mmm, looks very similar in size. Seems compelling for $130, but I didn't like that shell with the 400bt. I guess I will pass for now.

This is the 2nd time I considered the CX in less than a week and passed on it lol. Damn, the CA MT frustrations keeps making me double-guess and look into TWS options. The grass always seems greener on the other side lol

Oct 15, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #38,455 of 62,182
Hmm, read in a review the CX series doesn't have Sennheiser's high-end sound tuning tech, which is only on the MTW2. I have a feeling Sennheiser must have an upgrade coming to the MTW2. MTW2 has high-end sound tuning but still on BT 5.1, no aptx adaptive, and 7hrs battery life (new CX series is BT 5.2, has aptx adaptive, has 9hrs). Can you see that not getting upgraded?? I can't. They also dropped the price of MTW2 to $200 just a month ago. All signs are pointing to an upgrade coming soon.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #38,456 of 62,182
Mmm, looks very similar in size. Seems compelling for $130, but I didn't like that shell with the 400bt. I guess I will pass for now.

This is the 2nd time I considered the CX in less than a week and passed on it lol. Damn, the CA MT frustrations keeps making me double-guess and look into TWS options. The grass always seems greener on the other side lol
I know what you mean. The CA MT issues made me look elsewhere and led me to to the L2P+ which I ended up returning as well.

If you don’t need ANC and ambient mode the CX 400BT at $90 are a great value however for me they work usually at home when I walk around, cooking, cleaning etc and don’t need these features but if I were to get a one set do all it will be something else most likely.

Oct 15, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #38,457 of 62,182
I avoided Sennheiser since I bought the original MTW. Way to much money on a product that had so many issues. I refused to get pulled in again. At $80 though the CX400BT became worth trying. Truth be told I am glad I waited on one hand due to the savings but should have given them a try sooner. Would not/will not by the MTW2 though I have decided $200 is the max I will pay for a TWS.

Just spent some time going through a few songs that showcase sub-bass and these are pretty polite in that region so not great for some sound track music like Hans Zimmer Interstellar but good for rock due to the mid-bass. I am finding myself cranking these up to about 3/4 volume which means they are either quieter than my AZ70 and Gbuds Pro or I am missing the energy of those headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #38,458 of 62,182
I avoided Sennheiser since I bought the original MTW. Way to much money on a product that had so many issues. I refused to get pulled in again. At $80 though the CX400BT became worth trying. Truth be told I am glad I waited on one hand due to the savings but should have given them a try sooner. Would not/will not by the MTW2 though I have decided $200 is the max I will pay for a TWS.

Just spent some time going through a few songs that showcase sub-bass as these are pretty polite in that region so not great for some sound track music like Hans Zimmer Interstellar but good for rock due to the mid-bass. I am finding myself cranking these up to about 3/4 volume which means they are either quieter than my AZ70 and Gbuds Pro or I am missing the energy of those headphones.
400BT were louder than the Sony wf-1000xm3. Don't think I still had the AZ70 then to test loudness. It probably was pretty close during my A/B test to not be easily noticeable.

I jotted down lag time on the Sennheiser was the worst of the 3. Sony was the best.

Oct 15, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #38,459 of 62,182

Just spent some time going through a few songs that showcase sub-bass and these are pretty polite in that region so not great for some sound track music like Hans Zimmer Interstellar but good for rock due to the mid-bass. I am finding myself cranking these up to about 3/4 volume which means they are either quieter than my AZ70 and Gbuds Pro or I am missing the energy of those headphones.
I do too find them a bit quieter compared to other TWS but it’s still decent and loud enough for me.
eq isn’t great but will give you some extra bass. I like them for mostly acoustics tracks, pop and random stuff. They are pretty versatile.
like you I’m not planning to spend more than $200 on a set of TWS but may splurge for the Shure TW2 adapter at the end.

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #38,460 of 62,182
Hmm, read in a review the CX series doesn't have Sennheiser's high-end sound tuning tech, which is only on the MTW2. I have a feeling Sennheiser must have an upgrade coming to the MTW2. MTW2 has high-end sound tuning but still on BT 5.1, no aptx adaptive, and 7hrs battery life (new CX series is BT 5.2, has aptx adaptive, has 9hrs). Can you see that not getting upgraded?? I can't. They also dropped the price of MTW2 to $200 just a month ago. All signs are pointing to an upgrade coming soon.
Looking at the past, Sennheiser has released MTW in Feb-March timeframe, but now that their consumer division was sold off to another company maybe they will release something sooner! Of all the TWS, the MTW2 are the only ones that come close to my FiiO FH7 and Unique Melody MEST so I can't wait for MTW3. High hopes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back