Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 4, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #35,837 of 62,436
Yep ok thanks. Was having trouble and didn’t realize they vary in width and length. Really enjoying these. More impressions to follow. Wishing I had gone McLaren now that I’ve heard them. Can’t bring myself to return just to get McLaren can I? Hate to cause a vendor to lose money on such pettiness.
Other than the design, do the McLaren tuned differently?
I a few days ago when I checked them on Amazon the price difference was quite a lot.

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #35,839 of 62,436
Thanks everyone for very quick feedback. Need to play some more with all this tomorrow. At least I tested them now with some SpinFits on. Very nice, Test says both ears air-tight but I wouldn’t say it’s an improvement, but so much easier to put out and then back in again.
There are a few suggestions on non foam tips here recently. I landed on the Final type E TWS tips that I ordered from Hong Kong (MTM Audio). I have also used Crystal Sedna and the EPro TWS tips. I like those as well, but the Finals won my choice for use. @miserybeforethemusic has some really good posts on TWS tips for your reading pleasure in this thread as well.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #35,840 of 62,436
Aug 4, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #35,841 of 62,436
There are a few suggestions on non foam tips here recently. I landed on the Final type E TWS tips that I ordered from Hong Kong (MTM Audio). I have also used Crystal Sedna and the EPro TWS tips. I like those as well, but the Finals won my choice for use. @miserybeforethemusic has some really good posts on TWS tips for your reading pleasure in this thread as well.
I have a set of final type e TWS from mtmtaudio on the way!

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #35,843 of 62,436
So these Klipsch come with something called Dirac HD Audio. Not entirely sure what it does but they are unlistenable without it on. Makes me wonder why they bothered allowing you to turn it off. Sound like 10 dollar ear buds when toggled off. Reading up on it now. Seems like some sort of custom optimization software that is different than EQ.

There does seem to be a sense of openness and soundstage that is greater than I typically get in a tws. These are very very good sounding Buds.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #35,844 of 62,436
So these Klipsch come with something called Dirac HD Audio. Not entirely sure what it does but they are unlistenable without it on. Makes me wonder why they bothered allowing you to turn it off. Sound like 10 dollar ear buds when toggled off. Reading up on it now. Seems like some sort of custom optimization software that is different than EQ.

There does seem to be a sense of openness and soundstage that is greater than I typically get in a tws. These are very very good sounding Buds.
DIRAC is one of those guys like Dolby Labs; the Monoprice THX 788 amp utilizes their DSP for a pretty effective software crossfeed. They're more known for high-end automatic room calibration (similar to REW, but more hush hush).

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #35,845 of 62,436
DIRAC is one of those guys like Dolby Labs; the Monoprice THX 788 amp utilizes their DSP for a pretty effective software crossfeed. They're more known for high-end automatic room calibration (similar to REW, but more hush hush).
Well it sounds pretty damn good.

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #35,846 of 62,436
Well it sounds pretty damn good.
That's what matters, then. They're smart cookies; just a difference recipe than the more well-known guys.

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #35,847 of 62,436

Experiment with the tips. For me, I had to use the larger tips for the T5 and T5 IIs. Definitely made a difference with the stock sound. Also, the McLaren T5 II non-ANC version came with foam tips. Maybe you are, but if you aren't getting a good seal, email or call Klipsch and see if you get get the foam tips.

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #35,848 of 62,436
Experiment with the tips. For me, I had to use the larger tips for the T5 and T5 IIs. Definitely made a difference with the stock sound. Also, the McLaren T5 II non-ANC version came with foam tips. Maybe you are, but if you aren't getting a good seal, email or call Klipsch and see if you get get the foam tips.
Thanks. I’m at large already and thinking I may need to go xl and I usually go medium. I’m not a fan of foams generally. I’ll be interested in hearing your thoughts and whether the sq is better with the new drivers and the Dirac.

Aug 4, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #35,849 of 62,436
Some more observations on the XM4 ... now 12h later and well, not that much play time yet .. but some interesting findings
a) red flashing charging case! Quick google later reveals this is when it gets too hot'n steamy on the charging pad! Can't say I have read that before. Apparently to protect the battery.
b) I had changed to spinfits and thought about trying for a short run, but with those tips the fit felt less secure and I was not in the mood to change back to memory foam tips .. so, no run test today
c) While they don't have multipoint, the way I can change between devices is super easy (barely an inconvenience) .. just hold both buds a few seconds, they are in pairing mode and on my Redmi even a window pops up ... no need to look for the phone that was last connected and make it 'forget' those buds.

Still very smitten with the sound ... one review calls the bass 'sublime' and I could not agree more. It is not in your face deep and punchy .. it is smooth and persuasive ... and in the highs I am more aware of little cymbals and tiny knick knacks ...

Aug 4, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #35,850 of 62,436
Download the Sony music center app, connect your WF1000XM4 or any other LDAC capable device and there will be a setting in the app to have LDAC prioritize sound quality. This way you don't have to go into the developer settings each time.
Tried .. not finding that setting .. any setting i find is rather bare bone
Messenger.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back