Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 4, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #35,821 of 62,434
While I am not a total noob on Android (i figured out the developer options, yay :wink: and I found the settings to turn on LDAC, I can't make these changes 'stick' .. when I get back to regular BT settings I see no indication of LDAC being used / active .. where am I going wrong?

Quirks of Android. On my phone, I have to select the device setting (after XM4 connects, thats what I had to do for WH-1000XM4), and choose LDAC there. It sticks. Hope it helps.

Aug 4, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #35,822 of 62,434
Sounds like you are a candidate for the Bose QC Earbuds .. they are 'semi in ear' and the ANC is just lovely
But totally get your problem .. I feel often that my ears need to 'breathe' and I give them very little chance ...
I was thinking Bose as well. I am using Galaxy Bud Pro and the default tips are pretty un-intrusive IF they fit and they have a vent to help balance air pressure in the ear.

Aug 4, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #35,823 of 62,434
Lucky me (the guy who is always late to the party), but I received my XM4 today and I am very much impressed and happy!
Screenshot_8_4_21__9_35_PM.jpg

Sound, fit, ANC, everything is pretty spectacular .. though I think I still prefer the Bose QC buds for running, as the 'thud' on the Sonys is already annoying when I am just walking ..
Another thing I am curious how it plays out: Those mem-foam / hybrid tips and sweat! My first TWS were the Jabra sport elite back in 2017 and only one of their 6 sets of tips fit (the memfoam large) but after work out they had soaked up all the sweat and were too big to put back in the case! So, every time I had to put them off, wash, let dry, put back on .. and after 4 weeks those tips broke (that inner plastic shroud thing separated from the foam) and back then there was not much going on in replacement tips for TWS (needed to be fairly short to fit in the case) The only option was ordering the WHOLE set from Jabra for 20€ plus shipping! So, I will have to see how that will work with the Sonys .. have not tried any other tips yet.

Now, here is my tech support question for the Android savvy. I recently got an android phone to experience fun things like AptX and be able to use some apps that don't exist on iOS (like Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro or the Fiil T1 Pro)
While I am not a total noob on Android (i figured out the developer options, yay :wink: and I found the settings to turn on LDAC, I can't make these changes 'stick' .. when I get back to regular BT settings I see no indication of LDAC being used / active .. where am I going wrong?

Messenger.jpg
To get LDAC to stick on Android, go to Settings, Bluetooth, and then select the settings wheel next to the XM4. Choose optimized sound rather than connection. That should make LDAC sticky. There is a whole rain dance you will need to do to make the highest LDAC bit rate (990/909) to stick - each time you connect to the XM4 you need to go back to Developer Settings and select 990 speed, otherwise it will be Adaptive (adjusting the speed based on the connection quality).

Aug 4, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #35,824 of 62,434
Sounds like you are a candidate for the Bose QC Earbuds .. they are 'semi in ear' and the ANC is just lovely
But totally get your problem .. I feel often that my ears need to 'breathe' and I give them very little chance ...
I’m unsure whether or not they actually fit the bill though, but thanks for the tip!

I think they’re possibly still inserted too much in the ears in a way that might hurt my ears. If I just didn’t want anything in my ear canals altogether maybe, but now when it’s just about temporary pain that I have that’s outside of the actual ear canals I think they would be overkill and also not exactly sure they would spare my ears.
Kinda over my budget for something that I would only use temporarily.

Aug 4, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #35,826 of 62,434
What's the best sounding earbud that has non-intrusive fit?

Because it's getting to a point where I think I need to desperately let my ears rest from in-ears.

TWS adapter & MMCX Earbuds of your choice.
IMG_20200515_172656 (1).jpg

Sabbat X12 Ultra's or vooplay.
Samsung Buds Live
Airpods

Aug 4, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #35,827 of 62,434
TWS adapter & MMCX Earbuds of your choice.
IMG_20200515_172656 (1).jpg

Sabbat X12 Ultra's or vooplay.
Samsung Buds Live
Airpods
I like this idea. CF01's got a pretty beefy amp stage, too.

Aug 4, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #35,829 of 62,434
To get LDAC to stick on Android, go to Settings, Bluetooth, and then select the settings wheel next to the XM4. Choose optimized sound rather than connection. That should make LDAC sticky. There is a whole rain dance you will need to do to make the highest LDAC bit rate (990/909) to stick - each time you connect to the XM4 you need to go back to Developer Settings and select 990 speed, otherwise it will be Adaptive (adjusting the speed based on the connection quality).
Thanks everyone for very quick feedback. Need to play some more with all this tomorrow. At least I tested them now with some SpinFits on. Very nice, Test says both ears air-tight but I wouldn’t say it’s an improvement, but so much easier to put out and then back in again.

Aug 4, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #35,830 of 62,434
The Fiio UTWS3 does too (has a lower output impedance too, if that matters).

The new UTWS5 is coming soon though and has QI wireless charging.
That's right; it's much closer to that ideal 1-ohm mark. Truth be told, I got the CF01 specifically because of its impedance because I figured it would be a pretty good match for the Tin P1. Turns out that's mostly true. Makes the Smabat M2s Pro absolutely sing, fwiw, but those seem like hyper-efficient earbuds, anyway.

Curious about that UTWS5; keep in mind there's also that NiceHCK offering that comes with the different 2-pin and MMCX adapters already. Hopefully Fiio follows suit.

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #35,831 of 62,434
Download the Sony music center app, connect your WF1000XM4 or any other LDAC capable device and there will be a setting in the app to have LDAC prioritize sound quality. This way you don't have to go into the developer settings each time.

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #35,833 of 62,434
Trying to figure out these Klipsch oval tips. Is the wider portion designed to sit horizontal or vertical in the ear.
It'll look like a capital O, so narrow portion becomes the X axis.

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #35,834 of 62,434
It'll look like a capital O, so narrow portion becomes the X axis.
Yep ok thanks. Was having trouble and didn’t realize they vary in width and length. Really enjoying these. More impressions to follow. Wishing I had gone McLaren now that I’ve heard them. Can’t bring myself to return just to get McLaren can I? Hate to cause a vendor to lose money on such pettiness.

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #35,835 of 62,434
Yep ok thanks. Was having trouble and didn’t realize they vary in width and length. Really enjoying these. More impressions to follow. Wishing I had gone McLaren now that I’ve heard them. Can’t bring myself to return just to get McLaren can I? Hate to cause a vendor to lose money on such pettiness.
What are you going to grab more? That's what you stick with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back