Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 2, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #34,921 of 63,221
Depending on how new that pair was (or how abused they were by other folks who've demoed), it's possible that the driver could be damaged or in need of a little break-in. The CX400BT were a little rough out-of-the-box, too. Most of these DD-based TWS will have a similar problem. Not to open the whole "does burn-in work" can of worms for the umpteenth time, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had this experience.

But if you didn't like the sound, I don't blame you. Took a while to grow on me (just like the HD650/6XX did), too. You may need to acknowledge that your ears either prefer balanced with an earlier treble roll-off or there are upper midrange spikes (3k/7k/8k) that you potentially would have to EQ outside of Sennheiser's app, which for the life of me, I can't find an EQ setting that my ears appreciate that doesn't also add in distortion.
Hmm, it could absolutely be either/or in this instance, but I think i'm going to assume that it's me not liking the sound because I don't dare assume it was just the pair and then I end up buying them and they actually sound like that to me.

To me the treble really just introduced a whole bunch of sibilance that messed with my ears way too much to be enjoyable overall even if I didn't mind the rest of the sound too much, but I think I prefer slightly warmer sound with more bass (but not bloated) with highs and mids that are still detailed and clear, but without any harshness or sibilance.
I think that the Sony XM4's will be more my vibe, but with that said probably not my thing all the way.... but for a lack of other alternatives that i've tried i'm pretty sure I will at least think they're GOOD even if I don't end up loving them.

Jul 2, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #34,922 of 63,221
well my first walk was OK, I fiddled a bit getting a snug fit but that may also be due to me being used to a more traditional fitting IEM where these have less pressure on the ear due to the vent feature. Took one phone call and when a guy across the street was using a leaf blower I asked the other person if I sounded OK and whether they could hear the leaf blower and they said it was almost non existent, so I have a feeling these will be good for phone calls out and about.

Signature wise these are a bit more vibrant than the AZ70 while not going into the dark sound of the WF-1000XM3 I would say slightly more bassy than the typical AKG house sound but still very much in the family. I played with the presents and find vibrant is quite nice. I watched a utube video where a guy showed how to access a configurable EQ, so will try that later.

Once they are set in the ear it is pretty easy to forget about them. I also tried laying on them on my pillow and they actually felt pretty comfortable so if I keep them they might become my sleeping IEM.

The ANC was hardly effected by wind outside which is nice, it actually sounded better than no ANC wind wise but it was also a quiet day for wind so more testing will need to be done. But I am optimistic they are better than most for handling wind. Speaking of wind, I barely noticed it on my phone call as well so happy on that front too as I live in a windy part of the world.
These sound (forgive the pun!) great! Unfortunately while I use an Android phone I don’t have a Samsung phone, so I feel I will miss out on some of the features. This is what keeps me from buying Airpods as well.

Jul 2, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #34,923 of 63,221
Dweaver, you'll be surprised how many tips actually fit on those weird oval Bud's Pro nozzles with a bit of perseverance.

I've had Final E's, Sony Hybrids and Spiral Dot++ on mine. I'm currently using Azla Sedna Earfit Shorts which I didn't think fit after initially struggling with a few months ago.

And once any of them are on, they usually stay on, even if it seems they're barely wrapped over the nozzle lips. Good job too as the stock tips are laughably small for me. The large is actually smaller than many other brand medium tips!

Out of the dozen or so sets I've gone through over the past 3 years, gotta say the Bud's Pro are the TWS standard for me when taking into account the complete package of hardware, audio and usability. Especially with a Samsung phone and the scalable codec.

I'd say the tuning is unmatched from an audiophile perspective in the TWS realm as well.

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #34,924 of 63,221
thanks @RainyDog I actually just tried my favorite tips the Sony Hybrid (originals) and they fit great. They seem to impact the magnet strength in the case but looked like they were charging OK. The stock tips were OK but likely to small as the bass improved with the Hybrids.

Signature wise these are very nice, I think they have some added edge and detail over the AZ70 while having a bit more midbass without falling into the darkness of the 1000XM3. The AZ70 might have a smidge more sub-bass but I don't have a ton of music that need that where as I have a lot Jazz and rock that works better with a bit more midbass.

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #34,925 of 63,221
These sound (forgive the pun!) great! Unfortunately while I use an Android phone I don’t have a Samsung phone, so I feel I will miss out on some of the features. This is what keeps me from buying Airpods as well.
Just curious, what features would you be missing out on? I also don't have any Samsung phones anymore (replaced my S9 with a OnePlus 8T and also have a V60) but don't feel like I am missing anything when using my Galaxy Buds Live. Their app works on any Android device and switching between devices works fine without disconnecting from the first device (even with my Windows PC). I think the only thing you would be missing is the scalable codec but I guess I don't mind because I really only use them for calls.

@dweaver thanks for your impressions on call quality. Didn't realize the Galaxy Buds Pro have the vented design. I've been trying to keep myself from buying a second pair of the Galaxy Buds Live hoping a v2 comes out soon. May give in and get one of the Pros. Have you tried any Zoom or Teams calls with them?

By the way, I got my Galaxy Buds Live back from Samsung and the replacement works much better for Zoom calls. Guess there was something wrong with my old pair

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #34,926 of 63,221
No Teams or Zoom yet, but we do use Teams in my company so I will try that next week, Windows and Android.

Jul 2, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #34,927 of 63,221
I hear you there! That's why I never seriously considered the Airpods as well. I am fortunate in that I do own a Samsung so I get the full meal deal.

Having said that, while several of their "features" while are dependent on having a Samsung (and a newer one at that!) several of those feature don't mean a lot to me music wise with the exception of maybe their proprietary codec which I have not compared to AAC yet.

But I get the hesitation for sure.

Jul 2, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #34,928 of 63,221
Just got a pair of SoundPeats T2 that I ordered last wednesday to tide me over while I make my decision on where I want to spend my money and it's pretty crazy how much you can get for that amount of money, even if they aren't as good as more expensive sets of TW earbuds.
Paid around $35 with shipping and these buds actually have decent ANC and would probably sound good to most people who aren't sound/earbud enthusiasts. I mean, they actually sound good to me as well, I'm impressed for the price but if someone told me they cost $200 I would probably be hesitant to call it good, or I would at least say that I would expect more for the money.

Unfortunately the biggest issue for me is the tips/the fit. The earbuds are pretty big and the tips are pretty shallow so it doesn't reach that deep into the ear canal with the stock tips because the earbud itself is so big that it can't be pushed too deep into the ear. Tried using a set of Comply Foam TrueGrip or whatever they're called and it really opened up the sound and made the treble sound sound less recessed (in a good way),but they're also just a liiittle too short. Tried the Sony WF-1000XM3's stock tips in Large and there we have it - perfect fit - but the sound took a bit of a nosedive and started sounding pretty bloated so I went back to the Comply's. The passive noise isolation+ ANC with the Sony eartips honestly wasn't that much weaker than the Sony XM3s themselves and that's a good score for a cheap earbud.

The case is also pretty small, just a tad thicker than an Airpods Pro case, otherwise comparable in size, probably has less height to it as well.

So for people who just love the best sound possible, they probably won't be for you, but for your friends or your parents who just want the convenience with some pretty good sound and decent ANC, I would honestly recommend them SO FAR. I'm just a few hours into testing so I might change my mind, but i've tried earbuds for probably 4-5x the money that sounded comparable or even worse to my ears so it's pretty cool to see what you can get.
I’m loving the T2s I got recently also. The battery life is amazing! Soundpeats is my new obsession.

Jul 2, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #34,930 of 63,221
Hopefully the battery life improves or I had not actually given these a full charge even though app suggested they were 100% earlier as they only lasted around 4hrs which is a bit on the short side and far less than what they are advertised to get. I never had the volume above 50% either somewhere 40% I believe. Not to concerned at this point since it did seem miraculous that they charged so fast.

So far they sound awesome and I could hardly tell they were in my ears especially after switching the Sony Hybrid tips.

I am noticing a bit of ear fatigue though, so definitely more more mid and treble energy than I am used to.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #34,931 of 63,221
I'm trying these short, double flange, extremely wide bore tips on my Melomania Touch and I think these are a good pairing. It opens up the mids and highs a bit, which makes the bass not seem as boosted. I'm now using a flatter EQ curve with these too.

PXL_20210703_002703542.jpg

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #34,932 of 63,221
I'm trying these short, double flange, extremely wide bore tips on my Melomania Touch and I think these are a good pairing. It opens up the mids and highs a bit, which makes the bass not seem as boosted. I'm now using a flatter EQ curve with these too.

PXL_20210703_002703542.jpg
Looks similar to the double-flange tips I get from Noble (hint hint for those looking). Vaguely remember them coming stock with the Sennheiser IE series.

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #34,933 of 63,221
Looks similar to the double-flange tips I get from Noble (hint hint for those looking). Vaguely remember them coming stock with the Sennheiser IE series.

These I think are old Meelectronics tips.

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #34,934 of 63,221
These I think are old Meelectronics tips.
Well if you need more, at least there's a pretty easy source that doesn't take a month to arrive:

https://www.nobleaudio.com/accessories/p/eartips-set

Fwiw, I ordered an entire set, but that was mainly to replace the pairs I'd lost from my Noble X. I do recommend them just to get a feel for what different IEM tips do for the sound signature overall. $30 ain't too shabby, considering what a lot of aftermarket tips run these days.

Those extra-long foamies really come in handy on pairs that just don't seem to fit.

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #34,935 of 63,221
Well if you need more, at least there's a pretty easy source that doesn't take a month to arrive:

https://www.nobleaudio.com/accessories/p/eartips-set

Fwiw, I ordered an entire set, but that was mainly to replace the pairs I'd lost from my Noble X. I do recommend them just to get a feel for what different IEM tips do for the sound signature overall. $30 ain't too shabby, considering what a lot of aftermarket tips run these days.

Those extra-long foamies really come in handy on pairs that just don't seem to fit.

Those do look just like them. I have 3 pairs of these and I actually just found the order by searching in my Gmail, and I ordered these back in 2012. So 9 years later and they are still going strong, but if I ever need replacements for this style tip, those do look exactly like them.

I'm still really enjoying the Melomania Touch's. I have only used them inside my apartment, but so far not a single connection hiccup or anything. So far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back