Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 2, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #34,906 of 63,207
JVC took the XC90T and made it into the XC91T...
1625139975698.png
Still 12mm driver and second acoustic chamber with tornado duct inside and the deep bass port. Now they are BT5.2 SBC/AAC/aptX/AptX adaptive and have hybrid ANC with 11 hour battery life(17 hours ANC off). True wireless mirroring, Class 1, and new higher performance LDS antenna. IP55, touch and talk(should auto pause instead of just lowering the volume IMO), and improved mics over the first version. Should still have the bass boost function so they are not just "XX" for the bass crowd only but can give flat or added bass. New case...
1625140701089.png
...that still only gives 1 extra charge so 22 or 34(ANC off) hours with the case. Price seems to stay at around the $200 mark.

Specs wise it sounds wonderful. What about SQ?

Jul 2, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #34,908 of 63,207
does the app has full capabilities when used with other phone beside Huawei? because like the Vivo neo, it stripped down many of the functions like Aptx and controls when using the app on other phones

The App as far as I can tell has every feature with the exception of the find my buds feature for which you need a Huawei phone.

I can adjust the type of AnC level and hearthrough as well as modify the controls ,see the battery life ......

Jul 2, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #34,909 of 63,207
Specs wise it sounds wonderful. What about SQ?
Would love the little ear fins that they use on the runners model and Qi, and one more charge with the case, and oh, that the hear through would auto pause instead of lowering the volume. If you want to talk to someone and you are in a video or podcast or even a favorite song you are gonna pause communicate then go back again. Not sure why they only drop the volume. As far as sound they seem to get good reviews and they are based off the wired FX-99X so you can get an idea but they should also have the flat setting so more versatile. Think they are still Gamesky's favorite bass TWS I believe which doesn't mean much lol! Having had the JVC with the Bass mode more than once including the runner TWS it is tastefully done more than many do with a bass mode. In the runners TWS they don't need it but it is just more without muddying up but in that case it is more to help with ambient use. The "XX" it is more like a high performance mode like the Cambridge audio. The whole sound is altered and tries to be bigger more dynamic and even boost the treble. So, even if the bass mode has a bit too much bass for them most people would still choose that mode and EQ down the bass most likely. Plenty of reviews on Amazon and Amazon Japan about the sound if they did not change that. Newer chip so I might say they could be changed a bit and hopefully sound even better.

Hey, want a Nuarl but don't have much cash?? Good news:) they enter the budget segment at ~$39 with the NA5. Okay not actually a Nuarl but the same company makes them(MTI) but not branded a Nuarl.
1625233165782.png
1625233209727.png

BT 5.0, IPX7, SBC and AAC with a 6mm driver so not much there but they are cheap. They do come with the Block Ear+ tips.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #34,911 of 63,207
Surprised my Huawei freebuds pro don't get more love.
They really sound great!
They keep updating the firmware too. Newest feature is a hearing test which once done allows the listener to adjust the transparency nice to better amplify human voices and also improve vocals on audio say for podcast listening etc.

The features are loaded in them to. Full controls great ANC multipoint works well. Better than the Jabra. Wireless charging and case size are great. They have kept me from paying on this forum for some time with only the PI7 and the XM4 tempting me but both have enough drawbacks that I don't feel the urge to get them at this stage. Happy to wait until BLE becomes the new standard.
Between those my Moondrop Aria and my KBear Ks1 I have all my musical needs and wants covered.

That said I see there is a new Edifier coming out with Hi Res certification and great ANC......
They look interesting but I am not a fan of stem style TWS and they are $100 more than I can afford. I got the Galaxy Buds Pro for $187 which is actually a bit higher than I can afford but I decided to take a flyer on anyway. I also worry about all the litigation going on against the company.

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #34,912 of 63,207
Fiil Customer Service for USA? Does anyone know how to contact FIIL? My FIIL T1 Lites are great, but the left earbud went dead and it's only about 6 months old. I've emailed FIIL at Fiilservice@fiil.com and Customer@fiil.com and no response.
Has anyone had any luck getting warranty help from them? Thanks!

Jul 2, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #34,913 of 63,207
Are the Sennheiser MTW2’s only good with certain tips or are my ears just really ****ed?

I tried them on today in a hi-fi store and no matter which tips I tried the treble was really jarring and hurt my ears, even when I pulled the those frequencies all the way down in the Sennheiser EQ App. I mean I am sensitive about to harsh treble and sibilance but I wouldn’t think the Sennheisers would be like that.

Jul 2, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #34,914 of 63,207
Are the Sennheiser MTW2’s only good with certain tips or are my ears just really ****ed?

I tried them on today in a hi-fi store and no matter which tips I tried the treble was really jarring and hurt my ears, even when I pulled the those frequencies all the way down in the Sennheiser EQ App. I mean I am sensitive about to harsh treble and sibilance but I wouldn’t think the Sennheisers would be like that.
Depending on how new that pair was (or how abused they were by other folks who've demoed), it's possible that the driver could be damaged or in need of a little break-in. The CX400BT were a little rough out-of-the-box, too. Most of these DD-based TWS will have a similar problem. Not to open the whole "does burn-in work" can of worms for the umpteenth time, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had this experience.

But if you didn't like the sound, I don't blame you. Took a while to grow on me (just like the HD650/6XX did), too. You may need to acknowledge that your ears either prefer balanced with an earlier treble roll-off or there are upper midrange spikes (3k/7k/8k) that you potentially would have to EQ outside of Sennheiser's app, which for the life of me, I can't find an EQ setting that my ears appreciate that doesn't also add in distortion.

Jul 2, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #34,915 of 63,207
My Galaxy Buds Pro arrived and without having even actually listened to them I am impressed a bit. Took them out and they paired quickly and wanted to do an update which literally took minutes at most as compared to 15-20 minutes or more for most TWS I have updated in the past. Then I noticed, crap the battery was extremely low on one earbud and less that 45% on the other, so I threw them in the case to charge which is also charging, 30 minutes later I look at the one that was at 15% is now at 69% and the other but is at 84% so these seem to charge extremely fast!

Oh and while I was initially getting the firmware up to date I had these in ear and I was like damn these things have ZERO isolation. Turns out they were in transparent mode so yup they had no isolation, the cool thing was how darn clear transparent mode was! It was almost like I had nothing in my ears.

Jury is out on whether they will work in my ears, the large tips seem to seal OK but a good walk or run will be the real test. If they don't fit that oval shape and lip doesn't look overly inviting to to many 3rd part tips... But lets wait and see...

anyone know if Radio Shack in the US still makes that wide bore hybrid type tips still? It might be and option for these if I can get a hold of come. I can't even remember the name of the darn tip... LOL

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #34,916 of 63,207
I went ahead and ordered the Creative Outlier Air v2 today. £69 from Amazon, probably a week before I get them as they're being dispatched from Europe to UK. I hope they're good. Reviews are a bit mixed. Some say the SQ is awesome and others don't rate it good at all.

Jul 2, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #34,917 of 63,207
Wow, these just charged up in about 1 hour and that was with the case charging at the same time, the case is just behind the buds with 3% left to charge. Compared to every one TWS I own (WF-1000XM3, Galaxay Buds, MTW version 1, Technics AZ70, etc) this is insanely fast and makes the whole need to hold larger charges on the TWS and the case a whole lot less important. Throw in the ability to piggy back wirelessly off the phone itself or using a wireless charger I don't think battery life will ever be an issue for me with these.

Just about to head out the door for a walk and a good first listen will give some initial impressions when I get back :).

Jul 2, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #34,918 of 63,207
Jul 2, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #34,920 of 63,207
well my first walk was OK, I fiddled a bit getting a snug fit but that may also be due to me being used to a more traditional fitting IEM where these have less pressure on the ear due to the vent feature. Took one phone call and when a guy across the street was using a leaf blower I asked the other person if I sounded OK and whether they could hear the leaf blower and they said it was almost non existent, so I have a feeling these will be good for phone calls out and about.

Signature wise these are a bit more vibrant than the AZ70 while not going into the dark sound of the WF-1000XM3 I would say slightly more bassy than the typical AKG house sound but still very much in the family. I played with the presents and find vibrant is quite nice. I watched a utube video where a guy showed how to access a configurable EQ, so will try that later.

Once they are set in the ear it is pretty easy to forget about them. I also tried laying on them on my pillow and they actually felt pretty comfortable so if I keep them they might become my sleeping IEM.

The ANC was hardly effected by wind outside which is nice, it actually sounded better than no ANC wind wise but it was also a quiet day for wind so more testing will need to be done. But I am optimistic they are better than most for handling wind. Speaking of wind, I barely noticed it on my phone call as well so happy on that front too as I live in a windy part of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back