Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 27, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #34,696 of 62,439
Assuming your expectations are reasonable for 130 tws, you will love them. I doubt anything touched them in the sub 150 price bracket although I’m intrigued by the beats.
It seems Melomania Touch priority is sound quality, and I've heard and read reviews saying the sound quality punches above it's price. From how people are describing them, I should like them. Otherwise my next try will be the WF-1000XM4, but I know I'll have to EQ them cause they are dark.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #34,697 of 62,439
It seems Melomania Touch priority is sound quality, and I've heard and read reviews saying the sound quality punches above it's price. From how people are describing them, I should like them. Otherwise my next try will be the WF-1000XM4, but I know I'll have to EQ them cause they are dark.
I prefer the Sony but the difference is not 2x. The MT aren’t far behind. Some folks here like them better than the Sony. The Sony is tighter all around and more resolving. The EQ thing is a non issue.

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #34,698 of 62,439
I prefer the Sony but the difference is not 2x. The MT aren’t far behind. Some folks here like them better than the Sony. The Sony is tighter all around and more resolving. The EQ thing is a non issue.

I'm thinking I'm going to like and would probably prefer the MT's. I had the XM3's and found them to not be bright enough and too bassy, and the XM4's look to be even darker.

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #34,699 of 62,439
The MTW2 is better than the XM4 sound-wise by a little bit but if you switch the XM4 to wide bore silicon tips and do a slight EQ, they will both sound excellent in a similar slightly warm and fun manner while still being high quality buds.

I don't have the MT anymore to compare but when I did, they were my favorite over the MTW2 and I look forward to CA's next iteration of those.

Jun 27, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #34,700 of 62,439
My attention has been drawn to the MW08. It's very heavy at nearly 10g a piece - how does it feel in the ear at brisk walking pace? Does it flap about due to the weight distribution? The materials, battery life and rapported SQ all seem solid. I know the older models had some connectivity issues but hopefully fixed by now?
The inner part of the buds is nestled inside the ear and is very comfortable, so it's quite a stable fit. The connection strength is one of the strongest I've used, it remains connected where other buds have intermittent connection. The mids is just stunningly natural on the mw08, the highs are are crisp without being over bright like the previous version. The bass places more emphasis on mid bass and has a warm signature, the large 11mm also let's the listener "feel" the bass as its diaphragm vibrates. Probably what needs to be improved is an eq in the app.

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #34,701 of 62,439
Do you mind if I ask for your eq map?
2.5k +5 the frequencies above that I use +2. I also have clear bass +2. The ambient mode or ANC also increases the bass. If you set it off, there is less low end punch

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #34,702 of 62,439
Did anyone compare the Melomania 1+ and Touch? Are they supposed to be sort of the same sq just in a different form factor? Was looking at the CA website but information is pretty limited regarding the two and how they compare to one another

Jun 28, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #34,703 of 62,439
APTX question, in all the APTX buds I've tried, I get audible distortion above 13k. If I force the phone to use AAC through developer options, it goes away. It also presents at frequncies above the earphone's representation capabilities. Try the test here on a device that supports APTX and let me know what you think. Any ideas? Is it just psychoacoustic compression?
https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php

Jun 28, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #34,705 of 62,439
Can anyone answer my question or link me to something definitive on where BT sound quality is these days? Are the new protocols on par with a good low impedance cable yet?
The BT sound will depend on the source, latency, the type of codec you use ( sound from laptop will be much better than sound from phone), but it will be 70-85% amount of sound you find in cable. For your second question, the answer is no not yet

Jun 28, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #34,706 of 62,439
Can anyone answer my question or link me to something definitive on where BT sound quality is these days? Are the new protocols on par with a good low impedance cable yet?
I think this is potentially a very touchy subject (ie Tidal lossless vs Spotify 320kbps). On paper, no BT is not there yet. Even LDAC can't do true CD quality. But it's really close. However, in practice, you can get pretty amazing sound quality from BT using other codecs. It's largely up to the tuning of the driver and implementation of the chipset. For me I am willing to forego the BEST quality for convenience for certain use cases.

(Full disclosure if I stated anything incorrectly apologies in advance, not trying to start a debate 😁)

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #34,707 of 62,439
I think this is potentially a very touchy subject (ie Tidal lossless vs Spotify 320kbps). On paper, no BT is not there yet. Even LDAC can't do true CD quality. But it's really close. However, in practice, you can get pretty amazing sound quality from BT using other codecs. It's largely up to the tuning of the driver and implementation of the chipset. For me I am willing to forego the BEST quality for convenience for certain use cases.

(Full disclosure if I stated anything incorrectly apologies in advance, not trying to start a debate 😁)
Thanks, didn't know it's a touchy subject :D
The BT sound will depend on the source, latency, the type of codec you use ( sound from laptop will be much better than sound from phone), but it will be 70-85% amount of sound you find in cable. For your second question, the answer is no not yet
Thank you. When you say amount do you mean quality? Or are you referring to volume?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #34,708 of 62,439
Thank you. When you say amount do you mean quality? Or are you referring to volume?
I pair the TRN BT20S Pro with the Moondrop Aria and they're a killer combination.

Volume levels feel very similar - the Arias are easily driven by both the BT20S Pro and by the wired iPhone lightning dongle - no need to go above say 60% on either.

If there's a degradation in sound quality, it's not one that I can perceive (true blind ABX testing at home is impossible given the time lag between swapping the wired cable for the BT connectors). Bottom line for me is that any tiny reduction in sound quality is more than outweighed by the wire-free ease of use.

Jun 28, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #34,709 of 62,439
Just got a pair of SoundPeats T2 that I ordered last wednesday to tide me over while I make my decision on where I want to spend my money and it's pretty crazy how much you can get for that amount of money, even if they aren't as good as more expensive sets of TW earbuds.
Paid around $35 with shipping and these buds actually have decent ANC and would probably sound good to most people who aren't sound/earbud enthusiasts. I mean, they actually sound good to me as well, I'm impressed for the price but if someone told me they cost $200 I would probably be hesitant to call it good, or I would at least say that I would expect more for the money.

Unfortunately the biggest issue for me is the tips/the fit. The earbuds are pretty big and the tips are pretty shallow so it doesn't reach that deep into the ear canal with the stock tips because the earbud itself is so big that it can't be pushed too deep into the ear. Tried using a set of Comply Foam TrueGrip or whatever they're called and it really opened up the sound and made the treble sound sound less recessed (in a good way),but they're also just a liiittle too short. Tried the Sony WF-1000XM3's stock tips in Large and there we have it - perfect fit - but the sound took a bit of a nosedive and started sounding pretty bloated so I went back to the Comply's. The passive noise isolation+ ANC with the Sony eartips honestly wasn't that much weaker than the Sony XM3s themselves and that's a good score for a cheap earbud.

The case is also pretty small, just a tad thicker than an Airpods Pro case, otherwise comparable in size, probably has less height to it as well.

So for people who just love the best sound possible, they probably won't be for you, but for your friends or your parents who just want the convenience with some pretty good sound and decent ANC, I would honestly recommend them SO FAR. I'm just a few hours into testing so I might change my mind, but i've tried earbuds for probably 4-5x the money that sounded comparable or even worse to my ears so it's pretty cool to see what you can get.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #34,710 of 62,439
I found a set of Sennheiser MTW2 for $200 new and sealed, but I might have a chance at grabbing the WF-1000XM4 for around $220 if I wait a bit... none of them can be returned in any way after purchase though since Amazon is the only store that offers returns like that where i'm at.

I feel like the Sennys won't have quite enough bass to satisfy the part of me that likes heavy electronic music and really enjoys some heavy bass rumbles from time to time, and I feel like the Sony's won't satisfy the part of me that wants a huge sound with big soundstage and some really nice sparkle in the upper mids and highs for more ambient and atmospheric music... Can somebody create a Sonyheiser Momentum WF-1000TW2-Frankenstein hybrid for me?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back