Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #31,381 of 62,981
Never heard the T2's but they sound pretty neutral. Upper mids and treble are tuned perfectly where it has great detail with no harshness at all. Good for long relaxing sessions. They are a bit bass light and I often find myself turning on the bass boost to compensate and give it overall more body and weight to the sound. They are definitely special and keepers for sure. 👍
Wondering if I should try snagging one during the 11-year sale. Looks like I could snag them for about $135 right now on AE. Good enough or pass?

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #31,382 of 62,981
Wondering if I should try snagging one during the 11-year sale. Looks like I could snag them for about $135 right now on AE. Good enough or pass?
giphy.gif

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #31,383 of 62,981
@SilverEars I'll add this with the UEs because it was recommended to me as well: give em a chance. I didn't really understand how these made sense until I had made it through a couple albums and realized how much time had really passed. It's one of those sound signatures that isn't necessarily that interesting at first listen, but it grows on you. Reminds me, in a sense, of how my Shure SE530 were equal parts frustrating and rewarding in that regard.

As to whether the "fit" part of it does anything, I can only anecdotally say that there were definite differences between my first and second set of molds. If you're in doubt at all about fit, I'd suggest getting the L2 tips. Made a world of difference for my right ear, as did doing the mold with a slightly open jaw and pushing in slightly.
I remember when I first got the Euclid, they really didn’t wow me in any way; and to be honest, besides the sound stage and separation, they didn’t. The thing was, they did very little wrong to my ears which took a little while more me to figure out. Normally when a headphone stands out, it does something spectacular either spectacularly good or spectacularly poor. This always tends to affect other parts of the audio spectrum as well (there trends to be a trade off somewhere else). The Euclid didn’t do any of that.

The UE really doesn’t stick out, but isn’t perfect either. It tries to be a jack of all trades type of character IMO. It’s not a bad thing, but it also means it likely won’t stand out in any great way.

Regarding fit, I remember way back when Rin Choi would do his measurements and test input impedance (using resistors) to see how a headphone would react to tip insertion depth and its effect on the sound of the IEM. It almost always would affect the way the IEM sounded creating the entire idea that some IEMs would sound better with a shallow insertion while others required you to really get that tip deep in the ol’ noggin. I’d say that the ”fit” of an IEM would have similar influence as the actual head placement of a full-sized headphone (which Innerfidelity did an article on; even Head-Fi has made comments on this as well); both have measurable effects. With IEMs tip material, shape, etc. all play a role in how it sounds like how pad shape, material, etc. all play a role for full-sized. Fit definitely plays a huge role in sound IMO. Even over time the rigidity of both tips and pads will change too; this could lead to changes in sound. In some cases even completely to the point where they no longer seal properly (Etymotic triple-flanges need to be replaced like every few months).

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #31,384 of 62,981
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #31,385 of 62,981
Fine, but after this...and the Falcon 1...and the Status...and the Edifier, I'm done for the month!
That’s fine, the month ends today anyways, you have a whole new month ahead of you for more headphones :L3000:

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #31,386 of 62,981
Stock EQ is wonky. Not sure what's going on with your bit-perfect issue, but maybe dropping the preamp a bit will help?

I'd let them do a swap. I understand if you don't want to, though.
Reluctant to. Seems like you had to do 2 swaps..might as well just reorder from Amazon. Or wait a month when maybe the manufacturing bugs are all fixed.

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #31,387 of 62,981
Reluctant to. Seems like you had to do 2 swaps..might as well just reorder from Amazon. Or wait a month when maybe the manufacturing bugs are all fixed.
Only 1 swap so far. The other RMA was for the Nobles. Up to you, though. Seems the Huawei really stole the show for you anyway.

Spending the evening with the JBLs post-update. Everything's smooth and stable. Perhaps the Hearthrough mode works a little better? ANC is still pretty anemic, but it did a good enough job of blocking out an airplane flying overhead during my evening walk.

Having a blast listening to Shpongle's debut album. Lots of fun spatial cues on And the Day Turned to Night. The JBLs can image pretty smoothly across the L/C/R planes; even gives a little bit of height info. That rumbling sub-bass throughout the track really helps add texture, too.

They're not the most comfortable long-term, though. I can feel the weight after about 45 minutes on the inside of my ears. Maybe I'll mess around with tips again tomorrow to see if that helps. Had the Final Mediums on this evening.

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #31,388 of 62,981
FYI that this thread is dedicated to true wireless (TWS) so sticking with that (since I don't have experience with any of Jays' products), I've been looking at low latency TWS that I can use with video editing (especially for matching multi-cam footage and the audio) and I picked up this set since it was so cheap:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LV477NK/

It's likely the best $16 I've spent on any TWS. The low latency function (four taps on right bud confirmed by 2 beeps) does improve the audio/video sync which I think might be crucial for you wrt gaming/videos. The sound quality is also quite good even over SBC (it does feature AAC as well but Win10 doesn't support it) with elevated bass and mids but slightly rolled off treble - the major caveat though is if you can get the included buds to seal well - I couldn't but ended up using Spinfit tips which worked well while still fitting in the case. The only knock is probably the mics - while serviceable they're not the greatest and makes one sound a little muffled, sorta like being underwater.

Not sure if they're available to you locally but I can highly recommend these for your purposes provided you're not hung up on extreme detail retrieval and will be using it heavily for calls.

Some pics (it's the white one) to show how compact they are relative to some other TWS as well as direct comparison w/the EA75t.

DSC01764.JPGDSC01765.JPGDSC01766.JPG
Ha! Those are the Tiso i5's in another package. Quite a fun thing yes, and with a fun bassy sound as well, right?

The same model is being sold as the 'Rolfstone Nova' from a 'Dutch' manufacturer, for 100 dollars...

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #31,390 of 62,981
New release from Emotiva. Wonder what BT codecs it supports?

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #31,391 of 62,981

If they were going to use floppy disks, I would've preferred the 5 1/4" version. That would really be an engineering success if you could fit 17 minutes on there. Thanks for sharing this.

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #31,392 of 62,981
If they were going to use floppy disks, I would've preferred the 5 1/4" version. That would really be an engineering success if you could fit 17 minutes on there. Thanks for sharing this.
I guess Zip disks were too modern. Way too many (not) fond memories of bent 5-1/4" floppy disks, all seemingly on install disk 38 out of 39.

Apr 1, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #31,393 of 62,981

I'm really excited for this! I hope they're able to put in a 20 or so floppy changer system. It'd be great to be able to just shove them all in there and listen to an album uninterrupted!

Apr 1, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #31,394 of 62,981
I'm really excited for this! I hope they're able to put in a 20 or so floppy changer system. It'd be great to be able to just shove them all in there and listen to an album uninterrupted!
Right? Don't want to give away spoilers, but I thought that's what the second reveal was going to be!

In other news, the MTs showed up...and seems they've brought a friend. Did the cosmic universe chose to play the biggest April Fool's Day joke or is it just my lucky day?

It'll make sense soon.

Apr 1, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #31,395 of 62,981
Here we go...I actually had to open the box to make sure I wasn't being punked. Then I had to open the box inside of that box. Then I had to open the charging case to be sure. Can someone pinch me?
IMG_20210401_121140__01.jpg
There's a set of CX400BT in there...I thought UPS declared them damaged, though? The plot thickens...

Oh yeah, and My Morning Jacket just issued the 20th anniversary release of At Dawn. I'm in a parallel universe or something.

Also found this interesting. Looks like Cambridge has added to their packaging:
IMG_20210401_120934.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back