Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 29, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #31,276 of 62,598
Listening to my freebuds pro now after having had to reset the Melomania touch when the right bud just wouldn't play music.

Really pain in the a$$.

Think I will return them but not sure I will replace them. With wavelet I have the Huawei tuned and sound every bit as great to me. Feel bass great mids and enough detail in the highs without being too peaky or harsh in the treble.

I really want to like the MT but quality control has been poor. Reminds me of the Jaguar Cars in the 70s and 80s. Were great except they were in for repairs all the time.
Now I got to listen those freebuds pro, thanks for the heads up.
After 3 years of daily use I lost my Jaba 65t Active earbuds. So, I need a new pair of earbuds that can withstand the gym, but are decent for phone calls.

I returned the AirPod Pros, as I couldn’t get a good fit, even with multiple tips.

Current thoughts are: Jabra 75t, Powerbeats Pro, and Bose Sport; but I’m sure I’m missing other options. I prefer bass heavy and need to be able to hear around me (either ambient mode or less isolation) as I run on the street.

I prefer bass for workouts, which is why I’m not looking at Jaybirds.
Nuarl N6 Sports
Jabra 75t
Sony WF-SP800N

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #31,277 of 62,598
After 3 years of daily use I lost my Jaba 65t Active earbuds. So, I need a new pair of earbuds that can withstand the gym, but are decent for phone calls.

I returned the AirPod Pros, as I couldn’t get a good fit, even with multiple tips.

Current thoughts are: Jabra 75t, Powerbeats Pro, and Bose Sport; but I’m sure I’m missing other options. I prefer bass heavy and need to be able to hear around me (either ambient mode or less isolation) as I run on the street.

I prefer bass for workouts, which is why I’m not looking at Jaybirds.
Natural progression would be the 75t Active (don't get the regular one), though you might appreciate the locked-in feeling the Earfun Free Pro's fins get you. I just think the 75t Active does a better job of separating the bass and midrange than Earfun did. Both improve with EQ.

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #31,278 of 62,598
Now I got to listen those freebuds pro, thanks for the heads up.

Nuarl N6 Sports
Jabra 75t
Sony WF-SP800N

For freebuds pro are you on Android? If so make sure to install wavelet to get equalizer for your music. Only because it needs a slight bump in the treble to improve detail and soundstage. Still worth getting as it has every feature on a bud.

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #31,279 of 62,598
Does anyone use True Wireless phones while cycling? If so, can you report whether wind noise occurs? I'm guessing if you get a good seal, it shouldn't..
Am looking at getting the Sennheiser CX400BT headphones as they are on special at the moment & I've read they perform as well as the Momentums, just without ANC

I’ve used my MT while riding my mountain bike. When on the trails I don’t need transparency mode. And I get great sound. But if you want to listen to your buddies or traffic, you turn it on and... above 10km/h (very easy, of course) or with strong wind, it gets very annoying.
I guess by design most will amplify outside noise in transparency mode and amplify wind with it.

Someone here has mentioned the Haylou T16 to be more forgiving with wind noise but I haven’t tested them.

I believe if you ride a road bike, all bets are off, because you are faster (more wind noise) and you always have to listen to traffic.

EDIT: I’ve seen a few posts about fit and the MT’s are great here. The fins just give you that extra security. Passive isolation for wind is great and with music on you’ll hear very little from the outside.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #31,280 of 62,598
Looks like a pretty decent cost of entry for the Falcon line. Someone here might be interested. New, not refurbished, according to the listing:
noble_falconwhite_7.jpg
https://www.nobleaudio.com/bstock-open-box-clearance/p/falcon-white

In other news, completely on the fence about whether I want to look into upgrading the trusty-dusty Cayin N5iiS. It sounds bloody fantastic and the thing is built like a tank, but its screen is tiny, UI is slow, and there's a lot of midrange options that now offer MQA unfolding (gimmick or otherwise, still nice to have). On the short list, I have the HiBy R5 Saber, Cayin N3 Pro, iBasso DX160 and Shanling M6 Pro. Not sure I want to go into kilobuck territory, though of course I think we'd all love a LPGT if someone else was footing the bill...

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #31,281 of 62,598
This article says that they are smaller than the MW07 Go (which is great) but the improvements overall seem to be incremental and the companion app seems a bit half baked. Call quality also seems to be just passable so sounds like I may be using my MW07 Go for a bit longer and maybe skipping this generation. Also seems to point to some of the older (and now cheaper) true wireless buds as cheaper alternatives (such as the Jabra 85T or MTW2). I really like my MW07 Go but finding it hard to get excited for the MW08 for some reason. Hoping to see some impressions here that will change my mind.

https://www.engadget.com/master-and-dynamic-mw08-review-true-wireless-earbuds-143027692.html

In the meantime, back to waiting for an MTW3.
Yeah, I am also awaiting proper reviews, not going to order blindly.

For me there is enough to upgrade my MW07 Go -> larger drivers, AAC support (as opposed to SBC), hybrid ANC (as opposed to MW07 Plus feedback ANC) and firmware updates available through the app. It would be nice if the app offered EQ but some streaming services offer it natively as well (e.g. Spotify). Call quality is a fair bit down my list of priorities.

I would be surprised if MTW3 launches in 2021 though.

We got B&W PI5/PI7 coming soon but what I've read is that they offer about 5 hours of battery life; I wouldn't be comfortable on something that is below 7 hours (taking into account battery degradation et cetera). Not to mention the projected price of PI7. PI5 is apparently feedback ANC, and PI7 hybrid.

Sony's might be an August launch.

I think 2nd gen KEF or 3rd gen Cambridge can be interesting options down the line as well.

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #31,282 of 62,598
Looks like a pretty decent cost of entry for the Falcon line. Someone here might be interested. New, not refurbished, according to the listing:
noble_falconwhite_7.jpg

In other news, completely on the fence about whether I want to look into upgrading the trusty-dusty Cayin NiiS. It sounds bloody fantastic and the thing is built like a tank, but its screen is tiny, UI is slow, and there's a lot of midrange options that now offer MQA unfolding (gimmick or otherwise, still nice to have). On the short list, I have the HiBy R5 Saber, Cayin N3 Pro, iBasso DX160 and Shanling M6 Pro. Not sure I want to go into kilobuck territory, though of course I think we'd all love a LPGT if someone else was footing the bill...

Not a bad price for those; I really like the case Noble was using for their entry level since they are tiny. To get some scale, the case is smaller than the APP, super portable and not bad sounding either.

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #31,283 of 62,598
We got B&W PI5/PI7 coming soon but what I've read is that they offer about 5 hours of battery life; I wouldn't be comfortable on something that is below 7 hours (taking into account battery degradation et cetera). Not to mention the projected price of PI7. PI5 is apparently feedback ANC, and PI7 hybrid.
Any idea what "soon" means? I'd be more interested in the PI7 but it's looking like vaporware.

So, new MW08 or Kef - that is the question? And will either sound better than the Gemini?

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #31,284 of 62,598

In other news, completely on the fence about whether I want to look into upgrading the trusty-dusty Cayin NiiS. It sounds bloody fantastic and the thing is built like a tank, but its screen is tiny, UI is slow, and there's a lot of midrange options that now offer MQA unfolding (gimmick or otherwise, still nice to have). On the short list, I have the HiBy R5 Saber, Cayin N3 Pro, iBasso DX160 and Shanling M6 Pro. Not sure I want to go into kilobuck territory, though of course I think we'd all love a LPGT if someone else was footing the bill...
Think I would go for the falcon 2 for much better specs at 139 myself and go for the blue lol

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #31,285 of 62,598
Any idea what "soon" means? I'd be more interested in the PI7 but it's looking like vaporware.

So, new MW08 or Kef - that is the question? And will either sound better than the Gemini?
Answering my own question looks like the MW08 is ditching the stabilizer wings. Strange choice. That’s a deal breaker for me.

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #31,286 of 62,598
The memory foam tip made the Oluv tuned earfun free pro really come alive. I get a complete seal and it sounds better, to my own taste, than the boomy MT. I ended up returning the MT early due to connection issues.

Now compared to my Sennheiser cx400 bt. I have to EQ the Senn to get it close to the Oluv which needs no EQ. I found it closer to the Lypertek Tevi using the same memory foam tip. But it slightly edges out the lypertek IMO. I'll compare it to my Technics next. But nice little buds they are, will serve me well at the gym. Love the convenience, the tiny case. Sucks that I can't close it with the memory foam tips.
Have not even tried foam tips figuring they would not fit in the case. Guess I should give them a try, but the case thing is a PITA to me. I don't find the MTs boomy, like the sound, and connection issues are not happening with the white ones I have (did send back my first pair). Go figure. But I will try foam tips on the Earfun.

Update update: You are right. I found a pair of Comply tips and these phones really came to life, and they excel with instrumental genre (jazz, acoustic). Sadly, I had to amend my last update as the phones won't charge with the Complys, even though I can close the case. So I need to store them without the foam tips, which is not great. I can't remember what Comply type they are, but they are grey and have a wax screen and are bulb-shaped. If I try to see what Comply fits the Earfun models, the Free Pro is not listed, only the Free. And it does not look like the body of the Free Pro in the photo. Plus the recommended Comply is black/cone shaped, not bulb shaped nor grey.

Then, there is the fact that 3 pair of Complys cost 1/3 the price of the Earfuns. And Complys are not known for their longevity. I did not use EQ, just streamed a bunch of different tracks via Amazon Music HD. Sounded very nice.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #31,287 of 62,598
D782C086-6EB2-4996-9920-FD076A7131C1.jpeg

A friend of mine, knowing my penchant for sound reproduction gadgets, go figure... told me “take my Tevi’s for a week, test them out and let me know what you think”.

At the time he got his, like a year ago, I tried talking him into buying the Melomania 1’s... he went for the Tevi’s. I showed him my MT’s this weekend but we didn’t have the opportunity for him to test mine or me his.

I listened to the Tevi for a few hours today but don’t have a complete conclusion. I’m gonna do an MT/Tevi direct comparison and I’ll give you my humble opinion.

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #31,288 of 62,598
Had to involve some pandemic-related delays I'd imagine as certain Danish retailers listed info about them already last year.

Latest info I saw somewhere on the net was PI7 in April and PI5 in May - if that is the case then comms should come sooner rather than later.

Good question :beyersmile: have not heard the Gemini's but can't say I am a fan of the design

Mar 29, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #31,289 of 62,598
Had to involve some pandemic-related delays I'd imagine as certain Danish retailers listed info about them already last year.

Latest info I saw somewhere on the net was PI7 in April and PI5 in May - if that is the case then comms should come sooner rather than later.

Good question :beyersmile: have not heard the Gemini's but can't say I am a fan of the design
They actually fit better than you would think but they aren’t suitable for exercise.

Mar 29, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #31,290 of 62,598
For freebuds pro are you on Android? If so make sure to install wavelet to get equalizer for your music. Only because it needs a slight bump in the treble to improve detail and soundstage. Still worth getting as it has every feature on a bud.
Currently both my phones are on iOS (i11 & i8), but I’m getting an android phone next month, considering those new Asus ROG phone, they looked really badass.

Any way, here’s another EQ for Sony WF1000XM3
FFD19A53-7BA2-4EB9-AB01-FAFDA820296C.png

For me the EQ setting sounds really good with this songs
46DBB472-6BF4-43BC-A042-B91A5D3F8D0A.png

D4EE8352-1C53-4F6F-8DF7-FA46CA11F267.png

3F3A107A-A067-48FA-A5BC-42497FAD31FF.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back