Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 17, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #30,796 of 63,213
What worked for me with the UE Fits, keep your jaw slightly open and push them in, leave your jaw open while they form. The seal usually feels better afterwards. I had this issue with my old Bragi Dash Starkey edition. The audiologist did the fit but didn't tell me to open my jaw. Every time I wore them the just never felt sealed. So I was going to have them redone and another audiologist said that was the issue, I needed to have my molds made with my jaw/mouth open slightly. Anyway, passing along for what it's worth.
Yup, may or may not be super known, but this is common practice when fitting CIEMs. A lot of places will actually have a block for you to bite on while they're molding your impressions.
Interesting. Think when I walk with large tips on the freebuds pro I can hear a crinkling sound.thouggt it was just noise from silicon and it is inaudible when music playing.
Seemed to go away when I downsized the tips. Wonder if this may have been driver flex.
This is likely driver flex. Silicone really doesn't make a crinkling sound. Flex is normally caused by a seal that is too strong.

Mar 17, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #30,797 of 63,213
This is likely driver flex. Silicone really doesn't make a crinkling sound. Flex is normally caused by a seal that is too strong.
Also worth mentioning that if you try to force a better seal than was originally designed for the earbud/IEM/TWS you're using, you often end up with an overabundance of bass, especially if you're going for deep insertion when deep insertion isn't preferred.

Mar 17, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #30,798 of 63,213
Also worth mentioning that if you try to force a better seal than was originally designed for the earbud/IEM/TWS you're using, you often end up with an overabundance of bass, especially if you're going for deep insertion when deep insertion isn't preferred.
That's also part of tip rolling IMO. Insertion depth makes huge differences when it comes to sound too.

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #30,799 of 63,213
Decent deal if you need gift ideas for little ones that won't break the bank. Edifier just notified me they were doing a one-day sale (edit: the refurb TWS1 don't look like they're a part of it, but price is still good):

https://www.edifier.com/us/en/refurbished/edifier-tws1-ref
https://www.edifier.com/us/en/headphones-earphones/twsnb-true-wireless-earbud-headphones

Flyer is pretty cute, though. Can tell they spent a lot of time on it...
Screenshot_20210317-120627.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #30,800 of 63,213
Yup, may or may not be super known, but this is common practice when fitting CIEMs. A lot of places will actually have a block for you to bite on while they're molding your impressions.

Exactly. At the time, the first audiologist didn't agree with me. Amazing. You'd think they'd all be aware. Oh well. But man, I do miss my Bragi Dash Pros...

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #30,801 of 63,213
Exactly. At the time, the first audiologist didn't agree with me. Amazing. You'd think they'd all be aware. Oh well. But man, I do miss my Bragi Dash Pros...
I guess it depends on where you go :p I chose from a list provided by Ultimate Ears, which is what Unique Melody told me to do for my HiFiMan IEMs.

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #30,802 of 63,213
I guess it depends on where you go :p I chose from a list provided by Ultimate Ears, which is what Unique Melody told me to do for my HiFiMan IEMs.
Agreed. I went to a Starkey approved audiologist back then. Big fail and not really a great experience here in LA. Never had the other UE IEM's though, only the Fits. Always tempted to get the UE 5's or something.

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #30,803 of 63,213
Decent deal if you need gift ideas for little ones that won't break the bank. Edifier just notified me they were doing a one-day sale (edit: the refurb TWS1 don't look like they're a part of it, but price is still good):

https://www.edifier.com/us/en/refurbished/edifier-tws1-ref
https://www.edifier.com/us/en/headphones-earphones/twsnb-true-wireless-earbud-headphones

Flyer is pretty cute, though. Can tell they spent a lot of time on it...
Screenshot_20210317-120627.jpg
Did I just fall out of my DeLorean? Either way, Happy St. Patrick Valentine's Day! Ooof.

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #30,804 of 63,213
Agreed. I went to a Starkey approved audiologist back then. Big fail and not really a great experience here in LA. Never had the other UE IEM's though, only the Fits. Always tempted to get the UE 5's or something.
I think you have a bit of an upper hand being close to UE headquarters. May just be able to schedule an appointment to show up and get scanned (pretty sure they migrated to 3D scans in lieu of impressions) there.
Did I just fall out of my DeLorean? Either way, Happy St. Patrick Valentine's Day! Ooof.
I had to double-take myself. Looks like someone was a little sleepy in the publicity department. 🤣

Mar 17, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #30,805 of 63,213
Note to self, when looking for solutions to driver flex, do not consult Yahoo...yikes:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/...-uyyxl8AkyiI_EBf313xavCeRhR-Om9ZO0eYnM6kcX4a8

Great deal, then! Remember for those looking: there are foam tips available for the 85t and the Elite Active 75t sound absolutely stellar with the Final TWS tips. Can't go wrong with either one for a good work-from-home set. Both sets support multi-pairing, which has made it very easy to bounce back and forth between workstations.

Can you tell which foam tips (maybe a link) work with with your EA75t? Do they fit in the case comfortably?

Mar 17, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #30,806 of 63,213
Can you tell which foam tips (maybe a link) work with with your EA75t? Do they fit in the case comfortably?
If I were to get any, I'd be looking at one of these two:

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...black-the-mercury-true-wireless-4-9mm-3-pack/
https://www.amazon.com/Comply-Truly...d=1&keywords=comply+tws&qid=1616015746&sr=8-3

But I have spent so much lately; I'm forcing myself to go on a break and learn to enjoy what I have. To be honest, though, I wouldn't bother with foams on the EA75t. I would wholeheartedly recommend these instead:

https://www.mtmtaudio.com/collectio...-for-true-wireless-bluetooth-earphone-2-pairs

IMG_20210317_135919_2.jpg
And then these guys showed up. Man, there's just something about the UE FITS packaging that's just fun and fresh...and minimal...but I really can't understand for the life of me why they thought it necessary to include 2 pamphlets of safety information, one which I'm pretty sure I can hold onto in case I need shade on a hot day.

Regardless, I gingerly removed the old tips and installed the new, significantly larger tips onto the FITS per the guided instructions on the FITS app. Once I found a makeshift bite block, I pushed in a little harder than last time and patiently waited for the process to finish. Let me tell you, it feels very, very weird when the stem starts moving into your inner ear. Nothing uncomfortable, though.

The end result has left me all smiles so far. Fitment feels much more secure. I can shake my head all over the place and open my mouth wide (for those Dokken vocals, man) and the seal doesn't shift at all. Now they live up to their name and that's the best I could ask for.

Which brings me to the final point: if you can swing the asking price for these and just want a listening set that can handle the occasional phone call as well, these are still probably going to sit at the top of my recommended list. They are a sound signature you'll have to get used to if you're coming from the vast majority of U or V-shaped pairs on the market, but I think you might find yourself wanting to. Guess we'll see what @erockg thinks after he's had some time with them :)

Mar 17, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #30,807 of 63,213

I had a UE900 before this, not a CIEM though. A very good one none-the less. I’m always tempted to pull the trigger on a UERM or something, but never have.

Mar 17, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #30,809 of 63,213
The volume issue happens for me with the Melomania 1+ on an iPhone. Every time I put them in the case to charge, then open to reuse them, the volume is back at 50%. Annoying. No other buds I own do this.

My Fiio adapters keep going to 100%. My AirPods Max did this too at one point, but have since stopped. The TRN adapters I have go to like 33% or something every time.

Mar 17, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #30,810 of 63,213
I just got these EarFun Free Pro earbuds to replace my aged Anbes 359 (which are bulletproof btw ... I have a NIB set as a backup but haven't needed them). I use them solely to work out, and I'm liking them for that purpose. I have a couple questions:

1. Since the shaft/nozzle isn't round, how do I know what aftermarket ear tips will work? For instance, does anyone know which size SpinFits work? Or any other brand?

2. I had to really turn down the bass. I use Wavelet on my Samsung Galaxy S10. Does anybody have any EQ settings I could compare to? I've got them pretty close to where I want them, but I'm curious how others have tuned them.

Thanks for any info that can be shared.
OVZh82W.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back