Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 14, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #29,251 of 62,300
It does make sense. I like similar sound signature. I like as much (good) bass as they will take without intruding on anything else. I DO have to mention I have come to like a bit mid forwards, but not at the expense of the detail retrieval up top. They have to be revealing without being sibilant (which can be tricky for some). I hardly ever like a warm treble sound on headphones. Even on my OG Momentums I EQ up the treble for clarity (which they DO take pretty well).

I haven't heard the B&W P7, but I do own the P5, and they were alot like the Momentum 2, which your description was pretty accurate in saying "warm" (too warm for me).

When looking for headphones (for me), I pick something that is neutral to begin with, but I actually like them on the more "fun" side of neutral, so I pretty much EQ everything to my taste. The Tinhifi P1 (for instance) are probably the best sounding IEMs I have heard, but not without a tad of EQ (boost in bass, and reduction in 2k).

Have you heard anything from Hifiman headphones? That seems to get me closest to my desired signature, but I don't rule any others out per se'. What sorts of music do you tend to gravitate towards? I like a ton of different genres, but I would have to say I tend to come back to metal, rock, classic rock, that sort of sound. It sounds like we have similar sound desires at least. I will have to go back and see what you have tested so far and what you liked best, etc...

I don't really care about features in TWS, except passthrough. Matter of fact, I prefer physical buttons over touch also. To me it is all about sound, fit, and connection stability (and to a lesser degree battery life).
I heard a lower end hifiman a while back. Maybe was a planar model don't recall. Very clean sound but found the model I tried was a bit bright.
My taste in music always evolving.
At one end I like grunge and hard rock. Also love Pink Floyd Radiohead..But these days I seem to be relaxing to more vocalists like Diana Krall Norah Jones. Like Billie Eilish...
Also into some Jazz. Less so classical but like some pieces.
Work out to hip hop.
Basically everything but country or Latin music.

Feb 14, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #29,252 of 62,300
Well there is the remove the filter screen option that seems to bring the Earfun sound closer to the Pro. :)

Some might find this interesting...

Soundpeats seems to win on a few fronts but maybe not there yet. They might just pull out in front with the next ANC model.

Saw that video but fit and sound went to the earfun. 2 things I love about the Fiil.

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #29,253 of 62,300
Three things the earfun free pro will never have outside of sound:

1) previous track control
2) in-ear detection for play-pause
3) any means to attain the first two, as there is no app and no firmware updates possible

P.S. also, they don't get a cool name.

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #29,254 of 62,300
The Fiil t1pro are Chinese market only at moment. Got mine on Ali express. Took 3 weeks to come to Canada. Cost me 60$US all in.
The app is in Chinese but there are guides out there how to use it and once set you don't need app again as all the setting stick to the buds.
Volume control ,track control ambient ANC and voice assistant all can work directly from the buds.

Ear fun free pro are the same earbud on Amazon but English. However there is no app. The tuning is more bass less treble and can't be adjusted as with the original Fiil. Also no option to skip back a song on the buds and no option to update firmware down the road. That said they are 60$ on Amazon and often on sale for 50$
Thanks for the explanation. I'm not interested in buying Chinese gear but do appreciate the competition making US companies compete. I'd love to try the APM's but they are made in China, too. Can't get completely away from it. I mostly use Grado and Periodic Audio gear.

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #29,255 of 62,300
Three things the earfun free pro will never have outside of sound:

1) previous track control
2) in-ear detection for play-pause
3) any means to attain the first two, as there is no app and no firmware updates possible

P.S. also, they don't get a cool name.
Fiil has those the the in ear detection works not by IR so so stones if the buds are moved in ear it thinks it came out and pauses music. Works mostly fine

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #29,257 of 62,300
Have you tried the Fiil T1pro? Can't believe how good these sound once I EQ'd them. So good I might just hold off on a fancier pair for now until Devialet or someone else gets their s#it together.
They are spacious and the bass and treble are great. Plenty loud and the poorly rated ANC is not had once you get a good seal.
I've tried the T1XS but thought they didn't have a great build quality. I can't find the Pro here in the US via Amazon.

Feb 14, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #29,259 of 62,300
Feb 14, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #29,260 of 62,300
Only earfun free pro which are same bud but with more limited English firmware and no app.
Fiil only Chinese version available. Best 60$ spent on buds!
Yeah, I've gotten burned so many times with these ChiFi buds out there, I'm resigned to sticking with the higher end buds even if they cost me. But Hell, maybe one day I'll be really surprised. Hope so.

Feb 14, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #29,261 of 62,300
Yeah, I've gotten burned so many times with these ChiFi buds out there, I'm resigned to sticking with the higher end buds even if they cost me. But Hell, maybe one day I'll be really surprised. Hope so.
I bought figuring was worth the gamble. Truthfully aside from having to watch some videos to figure out he app I will honestly say the sound if they can from a 250 dollar bud would not disappoint me.

They are basically up there with the best once EQ'd. Ambient and ANC are only mediocre but they are there! And not much worse ANC than buds costing 2-3 x.

If nothing else they would be great workout bud with super secure fit ipx5 and plenty loud.

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #29,262 of 62,300
Just in case anyone is interested:
1613377711906.png

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #29,263 of 62,300
The Devialet Gemini will possibly be another few months.
Taking this into perspective what would you recommend to someone who’s looking to upgrade the sound from Sennheiser Momentum 1 True Wireless.

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #29,264 of 62,300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back