Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 2, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #28,861 of 62,440
No ambient sound seems like a bit of an oversight at this day and age.

Curious if anyone has tried the original EPZ S350 here. I could only find one or two reviews/impressions saying they were more analytical/less bassy than Sabbat E12 Ultra.

Feb 2, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #28,862 of 62,440
Good to know! Thanks! But right now on search for some true wireless earphones.

The Sabbat X12 are great TWS earbuds, can't be beat for running (no thud) and pleasant enough sound. Now they ain't no L2Ps of course !

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #28,863 of 62,440
No ambient sound seems like a bit of an oversight at this day and age.

Curious if anyone has tried the original EPZ S350 here. I could only find one or two reviews/impressions saying they were more analytical/less bassy than Sabbat E12 Ultra.

I think it is Chi-Fi. The adapters like Fiio and TRN and all these KZ, CCA, TRN TWS, the Moondrop Sparks, on and on don't do ambient. Lucky if they don't leave out volume controls or rewind.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #28,864 of 62,440
Ok so updated the 85t. Listened in bed last night. Definite change in sound.
firstly, the treble is improved. Not quite to level of buds pro of jbl but much closer. It is a bit less sharp but some detail and airiness in the high end is now there that wasn’t before. One of my reference songs has some symbols that get hit in sequence where with Samsung they are noticeable and clear and sharp.
before the update the jabra and some other earbuds you can detect them but they were masked quite a bit and very dull. now they are close to the Samsung but a little less sharp. Same thing with the buzz o guitar strings of some different songs.

The secondary change which is related is that the sound stage seems wider and more airy and open. Songs now felt more coming from outside my head than before.

The upper mid bass is a bit less strong by comparison. It hits deeper and stronger than Samsung though.

my eq settings have changed to nearly flat with tiny bump in mid bass and treble whereas before all bass was pushed down a third and all treble up 50%.

Also they added functionality to button toggle for anc. Now you can cycle through off, hearthrough and ANC. Brief test of ANC and seems stronger too. Had a you tube video on in den. 85t on no music playing. Listening at my usual tv volume. ANC on max and it was like tv was in mute except the faintest high frequency vocal sounds.

Overall very happy with sound and very close to the top tier XM3 now Except with better controls case with Qi charging, fit, ip rating......

Feb 2, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #28,865 of 62,440
firstly, the treble is improved. Not quite to level of buds pro of jbl but much closer. It is a bit less sharp but some detail and airiness in the high end is now there that wasn’t before. One of my reference songs has some symbols that get hit in sequence where with Samsung they are noticeable and clear and sharp.
before the update the jabra and some other earbuds you can detect them but they were masked quite a bit and very dull. now they are close to the Samsung but a little less sharp. Same thing with the buzz o guitar strings of some different songs.

The secondary change which is related is that the sound stage seems wider and more airy and open. Songs now felt more coming from outside my head than before.

The upper mid bass is a bit less strong by comparison. It hits deeper and stronger than Samsung though.

my eq settings have changed to nearly flat with tiny bump in mid bass and treble whereas before all bass was pushed down a third and all treble up 50%.

Also they added functionality to button toggle for anc. Now you can cycle through off, hearthrough and ANC. Brief test of ANC and seems stronger too. Had a you tube video on in den. 85t on no music playing. Listening at my usual tv volume. ANC on max and it was like tv was in mute except the faintest high frequency vocal sounds.

Overall very happy with sound and very close to the top tier XM3 now Except with better controls case with Qi charging, fit, ip rating......

Search finally finished?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 2, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #28,866 of 62,440
AirPods Pro vs Earin A-3 pics. Still testing out the Earin, but wow, so tiny. Open ear design. Fits well. Decent soundstage. Bass depending on your fit. Did I say they were TINY??? No, not better than the Devialet Gemini, MTW2 and the like, but that's not really what they're going for here.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender_conv (4).jpg
    FullSizeRender_conv (4).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeRender 3_conv (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender 3_conv (3).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5243_conv (2).jpg
    IMG_5243_conv (2).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeRender 2_conv (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender 2_conv (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #28,867 of 62,440

Agreed on the update on the 85ts. Treble is less mushy and they now have greater clarity and realism to cymbal hits. Honestly, I've tried pretty much everything outside of the new galaxy buds pro and the Jabras are my favorite as an overall package. I think when EQ'd they actually have one of the best midrange and bass presentations on any TWS, and now the treble is more in line with the other frequencies. Also still the best staging on any TWS I've tried too. I'm a fan of the xm3 but they sound a little artificial compared w the 85ts.

As for features, for such a small and comfortable bud the ANC is actualy fantastic, and the transparancy mode is as close to APP as I've experienced. Calls are a bit of a mixed bag in terms of letting in a bit too much ambient noise, but even then the person on the other line can always hear me, and in quiet environments they're fantastic. Also the ability to multi pair and press one button to mute is fantastic. This update also allows you to toggle the ANC off with a button press rather than just switch between ANC and transparency, which took them way too long to do IMO.

These are the complete package and were my top choice before this update, but this puts them even further ahead to me. Nothing else that I've tried is as well rounded and polished.

Feb 2, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #28,868 of 62,440
Search finally finished?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Looking that way. These or Samsung if I can fix the fit give me the sound I love with the Constellation of features I want.
My ears getting more used to Samsung and seems you can insert them wrong in the ears. Doing it like the picture and now not painful but still not as comfortable as I would like. Experiment with comply tips added comfort but they are not right size or shape. Think they would be great choice when comply or someone makes 3rd party foam tips.

Also apparently firmware update to improve ANC and transparency though haven't gotten that update to test yet.

Feb 2, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #28,869 of 62,440
Agreed on the update on the 85ts. Treble is less mushy and they now have greater clarity and realism to cymbal hits. Honestly, I've tried pretty much everything outside of the new galaxy buds pro and the Jabras are my favorite as an overall package. I think when EQ'd they actually have one of the best midrange and bass presentations on any TWS, and now the treble is more in line with the other frequencies. Also still the best staging on any TWS I've tried too. I'm a fan of the xm3 but they sound a little artificial compared w the 85ts.

These are the complete package and were my top choice before this update, but this puts them even further ahead to me. Nothing else that I've tried is as well rounded and polished.

Agreed. I would describe the sound as the most natural.

XM3 were great but had an electronic digital feel to the sound.

Buds pro. Sound great very clear and crisp with good bass. Treble has great but but can be a tiny bit harsh on some tracks due to how sharp it is.

85t. Great bass, great soundstage. Most natural sound with softer treble, not as crisp as Samsung but feels most like what I would hear through a speaker or live .

AZ70W. Great mids and nice silly vocals and treble but weakest bass of the 4 keeping it or if top 3 for me in sound.

JBL. Also great sound and arguably the best sounding after playing with their amazing parametric equalizer.
But weakest ANC of the 4 if that's important.

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #28,870 of 62,440
AirPods Pro vs Earin A-3 pics. Still testing out the Earin, but wow, so tiny. Open ear design. Fits well. Decent soundstage. Bass depending on your fit. Did I say they were TINY??? No, not better than the Devialet Gemini, MTW2 and the like, but that's not really what they're going for here.
This is the reason I sent A-3's back. The fit was bad for me, no matter what I did. I had to push them in with my hands to get the decent bass.
Great customer service, though. DHL picked it up to send it back to Sweden.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #28,871 of 62,440
This is the reason I sent A-3's back. The fit was bad for me, no matter what I did. I had to push them in with my hands to get the decent bass.
I'm not having any fit issues so far, but I do wish the bass port on them would fit flush to my conch. Then the bass would be more powerful. That said, these are open-ear, and they definitely sound better than the first and second gen AirPods. Yes, Earin has a stellar return policy, warranty and they're always spot on with support. I've had all their buds and have loved them all for various reasons. Sorry they didn't work out. Rumor has it another model might be coming...

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #28,872 of 62,440
Following up on my last post, have been looking into aptX Adaptive (to assess latency) as well as BT 5.2 for the new LE Audio and LC3 codec. A shame Win10 makes it so difficult to find relevant BT info like version and codec used but I found this excellent article describing how to do just that:
https://helgeklein.com/blog/2020/09...luetooth-a2dp-audio-codec-is-used-on-windows/
(another excellent geeky article that is linked from the above is: https://habr.com/en/post/456182/)

Win10 at some point clearly identified when one was using aptX with a small pop-up but that stopped after a specific upgrade (not sure which version...) although it does still support aptX. Following the steps in that article, I was able to verify that my Mavin Air-X are in fact using aptX. I have the TrueAir2 inbound and will see if I can get the values for the codec when they're here (given it's relatively new - will be relying the Bluetooth vendor IDs posted here [also linked in the article above]).

NOTE: I know you can easily verify the codec on Mac or Android but should be helpful for those on Win10 and iPhone combo plus it'll be interesting to help ID chips in lesser known Chi-Fi units.

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #28,873 of 62,440
Windows 10 is now aptX for a while, if your earphones do not support this it will be SBC.

AFAIK that small pop up with Codec was only if you installed the DELL drivers on specific BT cards, does not work on latest Intel WIFI/BT cards.

Bluetooth Tweaker (bluetoothgoodies.com) < This will tell you but since I am on Win 10 DEV builds its seems to read me as using ACC codec which is obviously not true and it read as aptX correctly till I updated.to DEV's.

I would settle for aptX-HD on Win 10, no real need for LDAC.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #28,874 of 62,440

this is the idea I came up with to improve the fit for my ears, which are on the smaller side. I sacrificed a pair of my azla Sedna xelastic ear tips, carefully cut away the stem, then stretched the remaining tip over each A3 earbud. I chose these ear tips because of the tacky texture. Not sure if other ear tips will perform as these, but perhaps.

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #28,875 of 62,440

As for features, for such a small and comfortable bud the ANC is actualy fantastic, and the transparancy mode is as close to APP as I've experienced. Calls are a bit of a mixed bag in terms of letting in a bit too much ambient noise, but even then the person on the other line can always hear me, and in quiet environments they're fantastic. Also the ability to multi pair and press one button to mute is fantastic. This update also allows you to toggle the ANC off with a button press rather than just switch between ANC and transparency, which took them way too long to do IMO.

Hmm. Not sure if you've had a chance to try out the 75t.. If so would you say that the call quality in regards to noise cancellation has regressed? I was looking to upgrade from my 75 active to the 85 active once it's released but this gives me pause..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back