Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 28, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #27,466 of 63,207
Their battery life sucks (3 hrs or less) and no apps or special functions. Not too long ago they were considered one of the best for sq if not THE best. You can often find them heavily discounted on Amazon Warehouse deals.
Thanks. The ONLY criteria I am looking at is sound quality and comfort. Not overly concerned about battery life as I wouldn't use them for long stints and have B&W PX7s for when I need ANC. I'm intrigued.

Nov 28, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #27,467 of 63,207
Thanks. The ONLY criteria I am looking at is sound quality and comfort. Not overly concerned about battery life as I wouldn't use them for long stints and have B&W PX7s for when I need ANC. I'm intrigued.

I believe the sq is still good. I don’t own them but demoed them long time ego.
for $95 I don’t think you can go wrong but I also think that they didn’t age well in terms or functions which you’ve mentioned you don’t care about. The Technics AZ70 were on sale on Amazon a few days ago for around $100 for the silver version so if that deal is back, based on what I’m reading my money would go to the Technics.

Nov 28, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #27,468 of 63,207
I believe the sq is still good. I don’t own them but demoed them long time ego.
for $95 I don’t think you can go wrong but I also think that they didn’t age well in terms or functions which you’ve mentioned you don’t care about. The Technics AZ70 were on sale on Amazon a few days ago for around $100 for the silver version so if that deal is back, based on what I’m reading my money would go to the Technics.
I think the Technics are really what I am after. I missed the white ones when they dropped to that price. I have been checking to see if Amazon drops the price again. I almost pulled the trigger at $165 a few times but keep waiting (maybe foolishly for them to drop back to $115)

Nov 28, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #27,469 of 63,207
If you like delicate sounding detailed headphones the AZ70 is simply amazing. When I say delicate I mean they pull out all the nuances of your music. Sonically speaking they are somewhere between AKG and Sennheiser in that they are warmer than AKG with better sub bass but not as warm as Sennheiser and treble more like AKG than Sennheiser.

These are not a good option if you want a bass heavy signature but are great if you want bass than goes deep when needed but is not be present all the time.

Nov 28, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #27,470 of 63,207
Is this neckband comfortable for the bed? Did you test it by watching TV/movies?

All my Soundpeats headband earphones were fine in bed, they do not bother me and the neck part does not move about as you lie on your back or side, also the P14's were thinner at rear and ideally I would not want to wear a expensive pair in bed.

I do not wear ear/headphones for anything bar music while out and about and sleeping to cut out outside noise (apart from testing), I do not see the point as all my games/TV/movies are 5.1 and do not like the effect of the video being in front of me and the audio being in my head.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #27,471 of 63,207
If you like delicate sounding detailed headphones the AZ70 is simply amazing. When I say delicate I mean they pull out all the nuances of your music. Sonically speaking they are somewhere between AKG and Sennheiser in that they are warmer than AKG with better sub bass but not as warm as Sennheiser and treble more like AKG than Sennheiser.

These are not a good option if you want a bass heavy signature but are great if you want bass than goes deep when needed but is not be present all the time.

How do you think AZ70 compares to MTW2, which have same driver as Sennheiser cx 400bt, in overall quality? I'm currently down to cx 400bt, AZ70 and Sony WF-1000XM3. Those are my 3 options in my price range around $150-165.

I listen to classical, rock and pop music for 2 hours every night while reading a book or news articles before sleeping. I don't plan on working out with them or riding a train to work. I need them to be comfortable and sound good while lying down in bed.

What would you suggest for that situation? I want to order before tomorrow so I am doing a lot of googling tonight, reading reviews.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #27,472 of 63,207
Unfortunately I have not heard any of those but I own the original MTW and owned multiple Sony IEMs and products. From what I have read the WF1000XM3 is more balanced sounding than the overear 1000XM3 so sounds like it will be more balanced sounding. If that is the case they will likely be like my 910N which means they will have more bass presence than the AZ70 but will be less detailed in the midrange and slightly subdued in the treble making them good for loud listening and if you struggle with to much treble and if you really like a heavier bass presence.

The original MTW was a bit to much on the warm side and while it had decent sound stage it was not very detailed. The AZ70 on the other hand has plenty of detail and is not as warm as it closer to an AKG type signature. I find it slightly colder than I prefer using stock tips and no EQ. But I find either switching tips or using the EQ I can easily fix that coldness making them just right for warmth.

If having ANC is important I would go either Sony or AZ70. They all have app support so are more or less equal in that regard. The AZ70 is the only one of the bunch with water resistance. Battery wise the Sony is the best followed by Sennheiser, then AZ70 but the AZ70 is going to be very close to the Senns in this regard.

I just read the Senns are more like the MTW for comfort versus the MTW2. So if that is the case them and the AZ70 will be similar in this regard. The Sony on the hand has a completely different form factor and will stick out of the alot more making them less stable but possibly more comfortable. The Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro have a similar design but have a wingtip to help hold them in more securely. Based on my L2P when not having the wing I think the Senn and AZ70 will be more secure but a smidge less comfortable.

I listen to lots of classical, jazz, celtic, classic rock, and older rock music, and acoustical music and the AZ70 seems way better suited for those genres in my opinion. Not much of a pop music listener so can't say in that area. Did try some Infected Mushroom though and really enjoyed them with that genre as well.

Sorry lots to sort in those paragraphs but hope that helps.

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #27,475 of 63,207
Unfortunately I have not heard any of those but I own the original MTW and owned multiple Sony IEMs and products. From what I have read the WF1000XM3 is more balanced sounding than the overear 1000XM3 so sounds like it will be more balanced sounding. If that is the case they will likely be like my 910N which means they will have more bass presence than the AZ70 but will be less detailed in the midrange and slightly subdued in the treble making them good for loud listening and if you struggle with to much treble and if you really like a heavier bass presence.

The original MTW was a bit to much on the warm side and while it had decent sound stage it was not very detailed. The AZ70 on the other hand has plenty of detail and is not as warm as it closer to an AKG type signature. I find it slightly colder than I prefer using stock tips and no EQ. But I find either switching tips or using the EQ I can easily fix that coldness making them just right for warmth.

If having ANC is important I would go either Sony or AZ70. They all have app support so are more or less equal in that regard. The AZ70 is the only one of the bunch with water resistance. Battery wise the Sony is the best followed by Sennheiser, then AZ70 but the AZ70 is going to be very close to the Senns in this regard.

I just read the Senns are more like the MTW for comfort versus the MTW2. So if that is the case them and the AZ70 will be similar in this regard. The Sony on the hand has a completely different form factor and will stick out of the alot more making them less stable but possibly more comfortable. The Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro have a similar design but have a wingtip to help hold them in more securely. Based on my L2P when not having the wing I think the Senn and AZ70 will be more secure but a smidge less comfortable.

I listen to lots of classical, jazz, celtic, classic rock, and older rock music, and acoustical music and the AZ70 seems way better suited for those genres in my opinion. Not much of a pop music listener so can't say in that area. Did try some Infected Mushroom though and really enjoyed them with that genre as well.

Sorry lots to sort in those paragraphs but hope that helps.

After reading your post, I backed down from the Sony. They are quite a bit bulkier/heavier than the other 2 and would stick out. No aptx. I like to keep down the volume and don't really need a lot of bass. It's $40 more than cx 400bt. 1 year warranty. Don't think I will be getting these. Can't justify the extra $40 since I don't require ANC for my needs.

AZ70 is the tough one. It seems it comes very close to Sennheiser. Both are fairly new so reviews are bit limited. AZ70 has no aptx, costs $40 more, 1yr warranty so many of the same cons. It seems smaller though and lighter, which is nice, and obviously has more functions. I will have to decide if it's worth the $40 extra. At least my focus is now down to these 2 candidates.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #27,476 of 63,207
@dweaver your posts helped push me over the line to buy the AZ70. Looking forward to getting my set on Tuesday.

Hope you enjoy them, I know I am :)

After reading your post, I backed down from the Sony. They are quite a bit bulkier/heavier than the other 2 and would stick out. No aptx. I like to keep down the volume and don't really need a lot of bass. It's $40 more than cx 400bt. 1 year warranty. Don't think I will be getting these. Can't justify the extra $40 since I don't require ANC for my needs.

AZ70 is the tough one. It seems it comes very close to Sennheiser. Both are fairly new so reviews are bit limited. AZ70 has no aptx, costs $40 more, 1yr warranty so many of the same cons. It seems smaller though and lighter, which is nice, and obviously has more functions. I will have to decide if it's worth the $40 extra. At least my focus is now down to these 2 candidates.

That's a tough one to say. $40 is a lot and the Sennheisers are likely very good sounding and the warranty is nice to have. I suspect the difference in sound is able to be tweaked via EQ so won't have to be the deciding factor.

The addition of ANC if not important to you is just an added expense. The only other big difference is the Senn have no water proofing while the AZ70 are IPX4 rated so can take lite rain and sweat. But not sure if that important for you or not. If not I am sure the Senns will be good. I know I enjoyed my MTW alot until they died.

Truth be told my MTW issues soured me a bit on trying Sennheiser again. But I am sure they learned their lessons from that 1st gen product. My MTW had the notorious battery issue so they were always dead when I wanted to use them, the case broke at the hinge, and with 2 years of light use they suddenly stopped charging all issue which annoy the heck out of me considering I paid $300+ for them.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #27,477 of 63,207
It will be interesting to compare the Technics AZ70 Vs. Jabra t75 - sounds like their sound signature is pretty comparable.
I have not tried Jabra In ear products, just their over ear 85H. Been tempted a few times but just have never felt compelled to do it. It doesn't help that they can't be returned at most Canadian stores and obviously are never set up for testing.

Some day I will rectify that. If you get the AZ70 I will be very interested in your comparison.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #27,479 of 63,207
I have not tried Jabra In ear products, just their over ear 85H. Been tempted a few times but just have never felt compelled to do it. It doesn't help that they can't be returned at most Canadian stores and obviously are never set up for testing.

Some day I will rectify that. If you get the AZ70 I will be very interested in your comparison.

I have the Jabra Elite Sport V2 that I purchased 2.5 yrs ago. They are reliable and built like a tank including the case and had served me very well. The signature is bassy, not warm but just decent enough. If you listen to high quality source they are good. As pair of gym TWE and a knock around pair they are great but sound quality gotten better I’m sure with newer products.
walmart.ca has a good deal certified refurbished of the t75.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Jabra-Elite-75t-Black-Certified-Refurbished/7DXJUHY1MNR4

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #27,480 of 63,207
Looking for cheap BT earbuds for working out etc found SOUNDPEATS Q35HD which have BT5.0 ,14h on battery ,AptX HD support and magnetic charging .Seems too good for $25.

they're not TWS but has no over ear bulk or any of those stiff sausage type battery packs.

dfb690a56a7d56bf6ec983068246c2c5.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back