Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 25, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #26,896 of 62,822
TWS and most wired IEM also lack quality sub-bass... I got Unique Melody MEST and they have just the right amount of sub-bass which is missing in my MTW2. MEST also have much more accurate and ample treble than MTW2. But other than these two differences, I would say MTW2 sounds 80% of what these kilobuck IEMs sound which is a pretty great achievement imo by Sennheiser.

Haha I have the MEST too. Reviewed em on head fi if you wanna check that out! I liked the Sennys sound quality but that might be a bit of a stretch. I’d say more like 65-70% :)

Oct 26, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #26,898 of 62,822
Haha I have the MEST too. Reviewed em on head fi if you wanna check that out! I liked the Sennys sound quality but that might be a bit of a stretch. I’d say more like 65-70% :)
Nice review :) How are you liking your MEST? Fit seems to be the only issue for me. Gonna try with some Spiral Dot+ now as those give really good bass+treble and comfort!

Oct 26, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #26,899 of 62,822
Wanted to share some thoughts after spending time with the latest models i've had in for Review. The Technics AZ70, i've had these for about 3 months now, and i really like them. ANC is pretty solid. Was leaps and bounds better than that on the MTW2, but after i updated the MTW2 a month or so ago, the ANC really improved and now the ANC is close. They're both really great. The Ambiant mode on AZ70 out of the box is pretty veiled. Not a very full sound, but effective. Though someone posted several pages back that an update helped with this. Sound in default mode. The bass is really fun on these. the mids have this weird sound. It isn't jarring to my ears, it just isn't as natural as some other products are. but i adjust to it pretty quickly. The treble is muted a bit, these aren't muddy at all, really it's kind of sloppy and splashy. I think that's a better way to describe the treble. Bass increases with ANC on. i'm pointing this all out, but i really do like these. They're well built, and are comfortable to wear for several hours. i enjoy the energy these have with a wide variety of music. Call quality in public and in a quiet room hasn't yielded any complaints, so i'll call that a win. These are the only model i've either gotten for review or purchased that pair as one unit, but can seamlessly be used in mono mode. Theres no waiting for one iem to disconnect and the other reconnect to the phone. They just keep playing music, regardless of which one is in the case. and no, the other one isn't still powered on while it's in the case, I was suspicious of this. that earns them a high mark in my book. i'd say for $200-$150, these are a great purchase.
Shure Aonic 215:: i've never liked the 215. It's always sounded bloated, muddy, and i've never understood why Shure seems determined to die on the 215 hill. That said, and maybe it's the adapter, these definitely sound related to the 215, but they have a clarity in the mids, and reduced bass. I kinda like them tbh, and i'm surprised and confused. i'm curious if anyone has compared Shure's adapter to the BT 20 pro or any other adapters. i'm tempted to buy some other wired iems to pair with this adapter. Ambiant mode isn't the strongest out of what i currently have, but it's not to bad either. Call quality is only in the right ear, last TW IEM i can remember that on was the PSB M4U TW1. I don't like that particularly. These also don't have great range in my experience. I can only get about 15-20 feet from my phone then i start having dropouts.
B&O BeoPlay E8 Sport.
The MSRP is $350? Why? i'd say $160 tops for these. Nice case, BT5.1, wireless charging, well built IEMS with fins on them, they are a lot more comfortable to wear than i expected they would be.
only had these and the Aonic's for a few days so don't have the reviews for them finished yet, but initial impressions on the E8 Sport. Ambiant mode is a step down from MTW2, but more natural than that of the AZ70, with similar volume.
mids are laid -back. Treble is similar to that of the Technics IMO, and bass is impactful but not as fun as the Technics. Haven't eqed them at all yet, and again these are just initial impressions.

Oct 26, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #26,900 of 62,822
Is there any TWS option out there with similar fit to the Shure shells or the Tin Hifi T2 Plus? I have a really hard time to get good fit.
Sound wise I like the Moondrop Starfield, Thie Audio Legacy 3 and the Tin Hifi T2 Plus.

Oct 26, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #26,901 of 62,822
With all these "glowing reviews" of Jabra adding ANC it seems like they're selling out fast and on Amazon the shipping now says 1-2 months... Currently 219$ CAD when a few weeks ago it was 191 and 150 on Prime Day. Not sure how things will play out on Black Friday or Boxing Day this year...

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #26,902 of 62,822
Is there any TWS option out there with similar fit to the Shure shells or the Tin Hifi T2 Plus? I have a really hard time to get good fit.
Sound wise I like the Moondrop Starfield, Thie Audio Legacy 3 and the Tin Hifi T2 Plus.
I'm actually looking for some Iems to pair with the Shure adapter that have that same form factor as the 215, SE425 etc.

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #26,903 of 62,822
I'm actually looking for some Iems to pair with the Shure adapter that have that same form factor as the 215, SE425 etc.
The Tin Hifi T2 Plus are pretty similar if it comes to fit. For me they're actually more comfortable by a small amount. Their sound is way ahead of the SE215.
I also tried the SE535. While they're a bit better than the T2+, I wasn't happy with them. It's also 300-350€ vs 60€ ...

My Shure adapter is arriving tomorrow. :)

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #26,904 of 62,822
With all these "glowing reviews" of Jabra adding ANC it seems like they're selling out fast and on Amazon the shipping now says 1-2 months... Currently 219$ CAD when a few weeks ago it was 191 and 150 on Prime Day. Not sure how things will play out on Black Friday or Boxing Day this year...

Yeah. Imma starting to think I might splurge for a 85T if not just for the ANC and the multipairing alone 🤣

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #26,905 of 62,822
FYI. I could not post this in the deals thread because it is something else.

"We just newly released our Tranya first Dual EQ Setting Bass Boost wireless earbuds M10. We now need 10 people to test and share their feedback in the community, on social media and another platform if you have the shipping experience on Amazon.

If you are interested, please click the button below and Contact yokin@tranya.com to request."

The button is just the email link.

And M10 was talked about here before so I dunno if something has changed.

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #26,906 of 62,822
I've just had random chat on the phone with my boy recording the call and asking him what was his opinion on call quality. I went from the Edifier NB2 2 buds on, quiet environment, to noisy, then single bud quiet and noisy as well. He had a hard time understanding what I was saying went using 1 bud with TV on at moderately high volume with general simple chitchat from Brooklyn 99.

I then switched to the Soundcore L2P. They were clearly better sounding and had less issue in general, with voice feeling more deep, but it isn't exceptional either and there was some bitrate drop you could easily hear, mostly with 1 bud in noisy (tv chitchat from same sequence of Brooklyn 99 at same volume).

You might not understand a work because we spoke Québécois, but it should give you an idea of the SQ of call with those. Be your own judge.

The last test I might try tomorrow is using those on team to see if they fare better than thru normal phone call.

Hmmmm yeah it sounds a bit muffled. It sounds like your voice is being compressed out. This is very interesting and something I hadn't given enough thought to - the frequency range of our own voices. I went back and tested again and asked my kids to test too. Their voices come through crystal clear, mine is not quite so clear. I tested on my Boltune BT-BH024 and they are very similar to the L2P - more noise coming through but voice is much clearer.

*** now I'm gonna have to change the way I test call quality and call baritones!!!

Thanks for sharing - very useful! Will now rethink how much depth I go into when testing call quality.

Oct 26, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #26,907 of 62,822
The Jlab Epic air ANC sport is being shipped to me for review, i'll post my review here as well. Supposedly 15 hour battery life per charge??I don't know about that, but would be awesome if they really are. This will be another first for me, haven't heard any JLab products before, but they've had some good bang for your buck cheap pairs in the past, maybe this will be one of those.

Oct 26, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #26,908 of 62,822
Hmmmm yeah it sounds a bit muffled. It sounds like your voice is being compressed out. This is very interesting and something I hadn't given enough thought to - the frequency range of our own voices. I went back and tested again and asked my kids to test too. Their voices come through crystal clear, mine is not quite so clear. I tested on my Boltune BT-BH024 and they are very similar to the L2P - more noise coming through but voice is much clearer.

*** now I'm gonna have to change the way I test call quality and call baritones!!!

Thanks for sharing - very useful! Will now rethink how much depth I go into when testing call quality.
I am also wondering if there could be compression on my cellphone line provider side. Will try to test with Teams this week.

Oct 26, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #26,909 of 62,822
Nice review :) How are you liking your MEST? Fit seems to be the only issue for me. Gonna try with some Spiral Dot+ now as those give really good bass+treble and comfort!

I’m a huge fan, particularly paired w a warmer dap (right now using the cayin N6). Yeah for was tricky for me too until I got the xelastic tips. For the first few days of trying em they’re a bit sticky and uncomfortable, but after a bit of use they almost mold to your inner ear shape and now the mests are super comfy for me.

Will also be doing a thie clairvoyance review at some point when I find the time.

If you like the L3s then I almost want to recommend the 85ts. They’re not bassier than the L3, and in some ways they’re better *cough* treble extension. Also they’re very comfy for me and I have small ears, and they don’t go too deep though ymmv.

Damn sorry to hear that man. I’m sure it’ll be less than a month once Jabra actually fully stocks them. It’s tough not to hype the 85ts though hahah. I usually do not like how jabra tunes their audio products at all, even some of their wireless headphones I’ve tried over the past few years, but these are really just shocking to me how good they sound. I was expecting the features to be good to some extent, but I’m just consistently surprised but the SQ. Only thing is I do EQ down the lower highs a little.

Actually, here’s my current EQ profile for the 85ts for those interested:

Attachments

• B8C9309B-5DB2-4F1A-A8E3-2271C1DCCFFE.jpeg
    B8C9309B-5DB2-4F1A-A8E3-2271C1DCCFFE.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #26,910 of 62,822
If you like the L3s then I almost want to recommend the 85ts. They’re not bassier than the L3, and in some ways they’re better *cough* treble extension. Also they’re very comfy for me and I have small ears, and they don’t go too deep though ymmv.
Hmm, interesting. I also hear a lot of good opinions on those (and their predecessors).

EDIT 1: What's the difference between the "active" and "non active" versions in the Jabra Elite lineup?
EDIT 2: Still no aptX? Why does noone ever think of Android users? :frowning2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back