Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 13, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #24,706 of 62,627
is it possible that the bass response of these Apollo Bold continues evolving in time? I started with -6db in the bass, then I moved to -4 now I'm at -2db and comparing A/B wth no eq I would say I could even listen to them un-eq'ed :astonished: that's a big surprise to me, I would have never said these little drivers can take so much time to settle....
PS and, no, it's not psychoacoustics or my ears adapting... I can (and actually do) reset my ears with some very linear cans every day :wink:

Aug 13, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #24,707 of 62,627
is it possible that the bass response of these Apollo Bold continues evolving in time? I started with -6db in the bass, then I moved to -4 now I'm at -2db and comparing A/B wth no eq I would say I could even listen to them un-eq'ed :astonished: that's a big surprise to me, I would have never said these little drivers can take so much time to settle....
PS and, no, it's not psychoacoustics or my ears adapting... I can (and actually do) reset my ears with some very linear cans every day :wink:

based on my experience, and also confirmed by a friend of mine who makes earbuds, with certain amount of playtime, usually for dynamic drivers the bass is expected to change, more often the amount of bass would decrease or become less "wooly" and cleans up. different driver materials have different settle period (and amount of change), with some smaller micro drivers usually need less time, and some like BAs seems to not change at all.

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #24,709 of 62,627
I'm interested in the Soundpeat Truengine but haven't seen much activity about them on this thread. It seems there are 3 models, Truengine SE, Truengine 2 SE and Truengine 2 SE. All are reasonably priced on Amazon, Bluetooth 5.0 w/AptX, and use dual dynamic drivers per each ear. Interestingly the drivers are beryllium-coated + composite for the earlier models and titanium + composite for the 3 SE. In general I think of beryllium as more high end for audio, very fast response, so surprising they 'downgraded" for the newest model.

Can anyone comment on the sound quality, fit and usability of these three, how they differ and and which is the best choice? Thanks!
The small amount of noise about the 3SE here is a bit surprising to me. As already quoted, the 3SE seems to have the best overall sound of the three regardless of the plating.

I'm hoping to see them arrive next week since I ordered them from AliExpress. I've been keen on reviews and all are positive, except for the mics. Moreso, there seems to be the typical faulty pair issue going around.

I'll post here when I get my hands on them.

Aug 13, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #24,710 of 62,627
The small amount of noise about the 3SE here is a bit surprising to me. As already quoted, the 3SE seems to have the best overall sound of the three regardless of the plating.

I'm hoping to see them arrive next week since I ordered them from AliExpress. I've been keen on reviews and all are positive, except for the mics. Moreso, there seems to be the typical faulty pair issue going around.

I'll post here when I get my hands on them.
Do they have an app with EQ?

Aug 13, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #24,712 of 62,627
What about the bluetooth and sound quality if you are streaming from your Smartwatch to your in ears monitors only using cellular connection data from spotify for example, then it must be the same streaming quality and sound quality as with the wired cables to your phone or am i wrong?.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #24,713 of 62,627
I have both and recommend: get both :wink:

ok, if you are strapped for cash, get the Apollo. The xm3 sound a tad better same with ANC. Is the difference worth the price difference? That’s up to you. Oh, and I actually went running with the Apollo’s, something i would not dare try with the xm3 ...

get the Apollo and start saving for the xm4? :wink:
Any news on xm4, I maybe be able to make due with APP for a while if that's the case.. thx for your message tho

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #24,714 of 62,627
Sabbat X12 with Wavelet bass tuner boosted = sweet

Yeah, X12 with some EQ is better. Are you using earbud foams on them too?

Out of curiosity I ordered the X12 Ultra to see if the Qualcomm chip does a better job than whatever's in the X12 Pro (2nd gen with type-c case).

To my ears they become congested with even normal pop songs, let alone anything 'busy', thats where I'm hoping for improvement. As it could be poor AAC implementation. (Edit: This could also be due to having slightly harder to drive speakers, as I did mod these with different earbud drivers.)

(@Caipirina ordered them too, but they're in a different country than his location currently.)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #24,715 of 62,627
The chip in the Pro v1/v2 is RealTek RTL8763BF and the v1 (I have the v2 as a backup and the one time I tried them they were fine too) don't sound "congested" at all to my ears and the foams don't change the sound if an opening is made for the driver. While they are perfect for running they are NOT made for critical listening, there aren't many TWEs that qualify for that, I use the LP2 when I need that type of experience.

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #24,716 of 62,627
What about the bluetooth and sound quality if you are streaming from your Smartwatch to your in ears monitors only using cellular connection data from spotify for example, then it must be the same streaming quality and sound quality as with the wired cables to your phone or am i wrong?.

spotify on the mobile streams at 160kbs AAC in high quality so can be handled easily by AAC or aptX.
if you have a premium subscription you can have up to 320kbs in very high quality, in that case the bt codec "could" be a bottleneck, especially AAC which is limited to 250kbs, but then you will have to consider the different compression type, so I wouldn't be too worried about the data rate.
but the sound quality wired/bt can be very different depending on the different stack you are using (very highlevel overview):
wired: AAC spotify stream -> decode to pcm -> mobile DAC -> mobile amp -> earbuds
bt: AAC spotify stream -> decode to pcm -> code to aptX/AAC for bt -> RF tx -> RF rx -> decode to pcm -> go through the DSP -> earbuds DAC -> earbuds amp -> earbuds

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #24,717 of 62,627
The chip in the Pro v1/v2 is RealTek RTL8763BF and the v1 (I have the v2 as a backup and the one time I tried them they were fine too) don't sound "congested" at all to my ears and the foams don't change the sound if an opening is made for the driver. While they are perfect for running they are NOT made for critical listening, there aren't many TWEs that qualify for that, I use the LP2 when I need that type of experience.

I should mention that I didn't really notice this congestion until I had modded my X12's with other earbud drivers.

And only if sitting down and listening while doing other tasks. If out with them I don't really notice it.

I'll probably put the original drivers back on when I compare them.

I agree, foams with a hole made for the opening don't change the sound. What they do 'do' is keep the bass in your ears instead of being lost to the surroundings.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #24,718 of 62,627
Yes they really help keeping the bass when moving around, without them the placement needs to be worked on more precisely and is not stable. Besides it makes them more comfortable :wink:

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #24,719 of 62,627
Yeah, X12 with some EQ is better. Are you using earbud foams on them too?

Out of curiosity I ordered the X12 Ultra to see if the Qualcomm chip does a better job than whatever's in the X12 Pro (2nd gen with type-c case).

To my ears they become congested with even normal pop songs, let alone anything 'busy', thats where I'm hoping for improvement. As it could be poor AAC implementation. (Edit: This could also be due to having slightly harder to drive speakers, as I did mod these with different earbud drivers.)

(@Caipirina ordered them too, but they're in a different country than his location currently.)

i currently have the version 1 (micro usb) and 2 (usb c) of the X12, they have a slightly different sound, with the v1 have a more fuller mids and the v2 have a leaner sound and slightly wider sound. the difference is slight, but it's there.

i used to put some thin foams (without cut-out for the nozzle), but ended up removing them because it makes my ears itchy.

they're still some of my most used TWS, especially when isolation is not needed. I'm thinking of adding more earbud type TWS like the onyx ace, but i much prefer the IEM shape and physical buttons like the X12, so i might as well end up buying another X12 in the future... or maybe the Glive..

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #24,720 of 62,627
i currently have the version 1 (micro usb) and 2 (usb c) of the X12, they have a slightly different sound, with the v1 have a more fuller mids and the v2 have a leaner sound and slightly wider sound. the difference is slight, but it's there.

i used to put some thin foams (without cut-out for the nozzle), but ended up removing them because it makes my ears itchy.

they're still some of my most used TWS, especially when isolation is not needed. I'm thinking of adding more earbud type TWS like the onyx ace, but i much prefer the IEM shape and physical buttons like the X12, so i might as well end up buying another X12 in the future... or maybe the Glive..

Good to know.

Yeah, thin foams are itchy. I use regular thickness with a hole for the driver opening.

I like the earbud driver mod I did even more for comfort. I actually find the airpod'ish x12 shape uncomfortable without foams. Even after reshaping them, better but not good for more than an hour or so.

Isolation isn't needed for the majority of my listening. That's partly why I ordered the Ultras (v3 also maybe? They had the ugly camo series which would definitely be v3). That and the QCC3020 may be able to handle other drivers better if I also put earbud drivers on them too.

I just ordered the beans/buds live too :). Hoping they fit my smaller concha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back