Going for the M50's
May 17, 2011 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Desertblood

100+ Head-Fier
Ok,

So I am going to buy these real soon, but as they are my first full size headphone, I am wondering, how are they in comparison to Koss Portapro's and Sennheiser PX100's.

Is the difference immense.

And just a question. Is there more bass in M50's, cause I've always been a bass-head 

May 17, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 16
If you're that worried about bass go for some Beats Studio.  You'll get crappy, horrible sound quality but enough bass to fit your needs.

May 17, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 16
Screw the beats. Tried em once in an iTunes store, never again. They sound like iPod headphones with a boat-load of bass and thats it. But I have looked at the 580's. How exactly are they better?

May 17, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 16
Yea I agree Beats are overrated, overpriced, pieces of crap.

I don't know how to explain, but they are probably better I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.  Ultrasone makes very high quality headphones and aren't as highly rated as they should be.  The M50's are a bit overrated and I was about to buy these a couple months back but decided to get the 580's.  The biggest difference I suppose is that the M50's bass is boomy and uncontrolled, while the 580's bass is controlled and has a wider range.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549442/ultrasone-hfi-580-unboxing-and-first-impressions#post_7415429

May 17, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 16
Do the 580's really need that much burn in?

And would I be going wrong if I went with either head-phone? I mean both are pretty good. 

May 17, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
Yea I agree Beats are overrated, overpriced, pieces of crap.

I don't know how to explain, but they are probably better I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.  Ultrasone makes very high quality headphones and aren't as highly rated as they should be.  The M50's are a bit overrated and I was about to buy these a couple months back but decided to get the 580's.  The biggest difference I suppose is that the M50's bass is boomy and uncontrolled, while the 580's bass is controlled and has a wider range.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549442/ultrasone-hfi-580-unboxing-and-first-impressions#post_7415429

Sorry to ask, have you listened to the M50 yourself?

The HFI580 was a bit too bright and aggressive for my ears, but also more energetic than the M50. I prefer the M50 because of that exact reason, but it can easily go the other way for other people.

May 17, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Bump

Do both need the same amount of burn-in?

Does it really matter?  I'd hope you'll be using them for at least 100hrs anyway
tongue.gif
.  Just leave them playing all the time for the first week or so.

TBH burn-in (technically break-in) isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

May 17, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 16
They both are great values for the money. I would choose 580 over M50 (see my signature for the reasons). Or, you can skip both and go straight to PRO 900 because I know you will eventually
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 17, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Bump

Do both need the same amount of burn-in?

I actually had a chance to compare a new and "burnt in" ATH M50 headphones, when I ordered my second one. I thought my first pair was broken when I heard these static noises coming from a few of my songs. It turned out it was the recording qualities, when I listened to the same songs with both the new and the old headphones. As for the sound, there was no significant difference between the two, although I've followed the directions for "burning in" headphones for my first pair.

May 17, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #13 of 16
I wouldn't say the M50 bass is boomy/uncontrolled!

I have both the M50 and PortaPro; with the same source(PC), the PortaPros(Kramer Mod) seem to have more bass impact but the M50s go lower(though regarding impact, on some songs it's about the same).  The PortaPros are brighter, but the M50 has better separation and in general just sound cleaner.

Personally, I use the PortaPros for jogging since they're more fun so to say and I'm usually too tired to "analyze" the music, and the M50s for home use.

When I was looking for an upgrade from the V6, the 580s were suggested too, but I saw mixed reviews and went another direction(DT-990, which were later returned).  Though, I went with the M50 because it since it seemed like a "safe" purchase and I'm pretty happy with it.  Maybe I'll be able to try the 580s in the future.

May 17, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
They both are great values for the money. I would choose 580 over M50 (see my signature for the reasons). Or, you can skip both and go straight to PRO 900 because I know you will eventually
very_evil_smiley.gif

Those are a very nice pair of head phones, but way above my payroll.

From what I've seen I think I'll go for the 580's then. They look better too haha
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back