Gilmore Lite Amp Owners Unite!
Aug 19, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #436 of 739
Just checking these are the right ones?
But confused now about the new PSU +16v and a hint of adding fixed resistors for a larger footprint cap by justin's modding post. If someone tried this and removed the regs..

Dont touch it before all the ducks are in a row.. is my normal philosophy..
I did aerospace soldering but electronics ☹
Lovely to see the suppliers are getting back on track. Covid19 messed up a lot of livelihoods... i do love the powder coated tank look..
Cheers
Dave😊

Hi Dave,

You may want to consider sanding down the "legs" of the Silmic 2 to ensure any further swap has less likelihood of ripping the pcba traces ... and possibly better sounding of bare metals 😅

Cheers.

Richard

Screenshot_20200819-191445_Chrome.jpg

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #437 of 739
Thanks gents, the remark of over 16v and if Justin or one of us knows the correct resistor size and value to swap out the trim pots on the rails. If that becomes a later mod with a larger cap.
One tip id give anyone trying the cap swap is to making desoldering easier.
Always increase the board temp as much above ambient as possible.
I use a heat gun but the wifes hair drier would work. It doesnt have to be untouchable or need oven gloves.
It reduces the contact time as in essence you are heating up the PCB desoldering as well as the joint. That extra heat helps..
Before trying..

Good luck and thanks for the kind advice
Always appreciated
Dave 😁

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #438 of 739
Thanks gents, the remark of over 16v and if Justin or one of us knows the correct resistor size and value to swap out the trim pots on the rails. If that becomes a later mod with a larger cap.

I think this is the post your are referring to from @justin w. “If you want to be a "super" upgrader you can eliminate the blue trim pots by replacing them with resistors equal to their current values. that will also give you more room for bigger/higher voltage rated caps”

You should be able to measure it with a multimeter. I was gonna give it a shot, but haven’t gotten around to opening it back up. All my ‘rona projects got put on hold when I had to go back to work full time.

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #439 of 739
I think this is the post your are referring to from @justin w. “If you want to be a "super" upgrader you can eliminate the blue trim pots by replacing them with resistors equal to their current values. that will also give you more room for bigger/higher voltage rated caps”

You should be able to measure it with a multimeter. I was gonna give it a shot, but haven’t gotten around to opening it back up. All my ‘rona projects got put on hold when I had to go back to work full time.

Hi,

Cermet element in these blue trimmers is not even fully metal for convenience and no surprise being targeted mod.

However, not sure if indeed in audio path to make any difference but there are indeed many audiophile type resistors to modify if one is such "super grader".

While measuring tuned trimmer's resistance value is straightforward, I doubt bigger/higher voltage caps can be physically placed as 25v silmic 2 is already almost touching top cover unless bent parallel to board without touching other components which I will avoid or how is this electrically related to replacing these blue trimmers and what resistance to change to if this is the idea to do so.

Cheers.

Richard
trimmer_cutaway.jpg

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #440 of 739
Never knew it was a worm gear..
It would be skills above my level to what devices and values maybe would work. Its great you guys have done all the hard work figuring out the Silmic 2s. Vishay make some good resistors but could a SMT be used as a bridge or drop axials through holes in.
Dont bother with my silly thoughts guys just thinking out loud. How much i know is.. nothing ,
i asked Justin about trying to make a PSU a good while ago. He must if though i was mad as i didnt even know it was a bi polar circuit.. i was going to try and wire in a Pos and gnd supply..

Justin did chase down my PSU issue to make sure it was safe, really greatful for that level of customer care and detail.

Dave

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #441 of 739

If you do this, note that the potentiometer in question is in parallel with a 499 ohm resistor

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Aug 19, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #445 of 739
Ah you made me do it..another order added for the new Power supply.. The wife will kill me.

But before i fit the Silmics as Engineer asked?

I would highly recommend going with the 25V rated capacitors, unless you do enjoy swapping out blown 16V capacitors. If you run a capacitor at its rated max voltage, you are accelerating its lifespan and you better hope it fails in an open and not a short. For further reading : https://www.sparkfun.com/news/1271

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #447 of 739
I would highly recommend going with the 25V rated capacitors, unless you do enjoy swapping out blown 16V capacitors. If you run a capacitor at its rated max voltage, you are accelerating its lifespan and you better hope it fails in an open and not a short. For further reading : https://www.sparkfun.com/news/1271
Thank you, swapping them out for the 25's then!

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #448 of 739

Hi Tamtrum,

Indeed ....

Original adaptor is +/-15v and stock panasonic@25v cap at almost 66% margin and even silmic 2@16v for size reason is with 7% margin but with new reference psu at I think 16v, silmic@16v is a no no to me also since there may be sporadic spurs that will kill the cap eventually.

Just to be clear that original is panasonic@25v and nothing wrong.

Btw, within reasonableness, I also believe to upsized voltage rating helps on sound quality or at least would not deteriorate but not the reverse and damn dangerous for cap to blow.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #449 of 739
I missed the originals are 25v thanks. The parts are on HIFIcollective. Which is a lot cheaper than Arrow or the other industrial distributors, MOQ and deliver are painful in the wallet..
Better order the 25vs then...
I sit opposite the Arrow representative for RollsRoyce and he can't get me parts cheaper...

Aug 20, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #450 of 739
I missed the originals are 25v thanks. The parts are on HIFIcollective. Which is a lot cheaper than Arrow or the other industrial distributors, MOQ and deliver are painful in the wallet..
Better order the 25vs then...
I sit opposite the Arrow representative for RollsRoyce and he can't get me parts cheaper...

Hi,

I thought so and hence my ranting ...

Panasonic is nice and very importantly small with low esr .. one of the best.

But for musicality, I like silmic 2 more while nichicon muse is even more musical and sweet sounding but not most dynamic ... ymmv.

All dependable on products and design but tuning to your preference and equipment used sometime works well.

Cheers.

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back