Getting to know you – a Head-Fi questionnaire
May 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

TheWuss

Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
[size=medium]Maybe there have been threads like this in the past.  Maybe there haven't.[/size]
[size=medium]Maybe it's a silly idea, but I thought it would be interesting to see other people's responses.[/size]
[size=medium]Paste the questions below into a new post, and answer away!!![/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]What is the best rig you’ve assembled, past or present?[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Answer[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]What was your favorite thing about that rig?[/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]What is your favorite headphone (regardless of price)?  Why?[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]What got you into headphones?[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Where and when do you find yourself listening to headphones the most?[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]What was your first WOW moment in headphone hi-fi?[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]What is the “thing” you listen for most in headphones? (e.g. quality of bass, midrange, clarity)[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Share a Head-Fi confession.  Put your Head-Fi cred on the line and tell us something quirky and unique about your tastes, your rig, etc.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]If you could share one piece of advice to a newbie getting into the hobby it would be this:[/size][/size]

[size=medium]In the spirit of the thread, I'll start things out...[/size]

May 15, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 23
[size=medium]What is the best rig you’ve assembled, past or present?[/size]
[size=medium]M2Tech Evo à[/size] Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 à Ray Samuels Audio The DarkStar à Audeze LCD-3

[size=medium]What was your favorite thing about that rig?[/size]
[size=medium]Tonal accuracy and organic quality to the sound that makes instruments seem more real.[/size]

[size=medium]What is your favorite headphone (regardless of price)?  Why?[/size]
[size=medium]The Shure SRH840.  It is the ultimate workhorse headphone, and my personal favorite recommendation to anyone getting into the hobby.[/size]
[size=medium]It scales up better than anyone thinks possible.  [/size]
[size=medium]I was just lucky enough to keep the SRH840 around long enough to hear it from end-game rigs and realize what a true audiophile bargain it really is.[/size]

[size=medium]What got you into headphones?[/size]
[size=medium]I sit at a desk job all day so I decided to listen to headphones while at work.[/size]

[size=medium]Where and when do you find yourself listening to headphones the most?[/size]
[size=medium]While at work drawing buildings (I’m an architect).[/size]

[size=medium]What was your first WOW moment in headphone hi-fi?[/size]
[size=medium]I heard my friend’s Grado SR225, and realized I needed a good set of headphones.  Before that moment, I assumed they all sort of sounded the same.[/size]

[size=medium]What is the “thing” you listen for most in headphones? (e.g. quality of bass, midrange, clarity)[/size]
[size=medium]Imaging and instrument separation.[/size]

[size=medium]Share a Head-Fi confession.  Put your Head-Fi cred on the line and tell us something quirky and unique about your tastes, your rig, etc.[/size]
[size=medium]I prefer closed headphones over open.  Something about their closed nature allows for a more detailed presentation, to my ears.  Open headphones let that detail “escape” out the back of the headphone.  [/size]

[size=medium]If you could share one piece of advice to a newbie getting into the hobby it would be this:[/size]
[size=medium]Amplifiers cannot improve anything.  While they are a very important link in the chain, sadly, they will never do anything more than lose valuable information while amplifying the signal.  How much information you are willing to lose will determine the quality of amplifier you seek.[/size]

May 15, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 23

[size=medium][size=medium]What is the best rig you’ve assembled, past or present?[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]I don't really have a rig yet, still working on it[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]What was your favorite thing about that rig?[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]NA[/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]What is your favorite headphone (regardless of price)?  Why?[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]JH-16, good treble extension, detail, air, and sparkle, bass is emphasized with good impact, but never overbearing.  The bass has good impact and headroom.  The SS is very wide, sounds like a full size headphone.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Working out, I also enjoy just listening to music to relax to.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Where and when do you find yourself listening to headphones the most?[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Usually at night in my room.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]What was your first WOW moment in headphone hi-fi?[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]The Hifiman RE0 it was so detailed I couldn't believe it.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]What is the “thing” you listen for most in headphones? (e.g. quality of bass, midrange, clarity)[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]I like a V shaped sound, sparkling highs, and bass that visceral, but very detailed, I also like a big soundstage and neutral mids.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Share a Head-Fi confession.  Put your Head-Fi cred on the line and tell us something quirky and unique about your tastes, your rig, etc.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]If you could share one piece of advice to a newbie getting into the hobby it would be this:[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Just research the sound you like and go for the highest you can afford.[/size][/size]

[size=medium]In the spirit of the thread, I'll start things out...[/size]

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 23
[size=small]my present: v-link/v200/v800 //WA6SE[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]even d2k sounds great thru it[/size]

[size=small]usually my most recent but I will be happy with d2k[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]need them for "me time" [/size]

[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]at home especially late nights[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]

[size=medium] HD600> DLIII>GCHA used to smile. really wish I had left then, lol[/size]
[size=small]what is does with guitars and some bass, not overpowering bass[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]

[size=small]also, gave up on learning how to describe what I hear- mids, lows, highs etc[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]at the end of the day, I will be happy with apple stock IEM as long as I have music
[size=small]run[/size]
[size=small]ok, seriously, just go all the way, if you are able and save $. you will end up upgrading later[/size]

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:
[size=medium]What is the best rig you’ve assembled, past or present?[/size][size=medium] The Woo5LE/AHD-7000 combo has given me what I was looking for and hoped to achieve in SQ.[/size]

[size=medium]What was your favorite thing about that rig?[/size][size=medium] The combo of warm and clear with pace.[/size]

[size=medium]What is your favorite headphone (regardless of price)?  Why?[/size][size=medium] I listen to the Denon AH-D 7000s most of the time because I like the way they sound.[/size]

[size=medium]What got you into headphones?  [/size][size=medium]An older Brother of a friend put a pair on my head when I was 13 years old in 1975 and played some great rock.  The song was Iron Man. My life was changed from then on. There was a lot of smoke.[/size]

[size=medium]Where and when do you find yourself listening to headphones the most? [/size][size=medium]Both walking the dog and listening when my Wife is asleep.[/size]

[size=medium]What was your first WOW moment in headphone hi-fi? [/size][size=medium]Maybe in 08 after finally getting some gear to work well together. It was not a moment but a WOW year.[/size]

[size=medium]What is the “thing” you listen for most in headphones? (e.g. quality of bass, midrange, clarity) [/size][size=medium]Slam, authority, detail, pace.[/size]

[size=medium]Share a Head-Fi confession.  Put your Head-Fi cred on the line and tell us something quirky and unique about your tastes, your rig, etc. [/size][size=medium] I'm only looking for an experience and really don't care how perfect it sounds as long as I can listen for a long time.[/size]

[size=medium]If you could share one piece of advice to a newbie getting into the hobby it would be this: [/size]

Go to a show and spend as much time by yourself listening to as much gear as you can. Try to undrstand why you like the way a few rigs sound and try to understand why you don't like how some sound.

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 23
[size=medium][size=medium]I only have one rig I've ever used, which is kenwood dp730>Akai AM250>Shure Srh940[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]The only thing I payed for was the srh940. Free stuff is awesome.[/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]My srh940, but if I could afford to upgrade, I would, so yeah, work in progress I guess.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]The desire to find musical Nirvana. And not wanting to disturb the entire house with speakers, they only get used when everyone is out[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Bed, for about 3 hours before I sleep, lights off, eyes shut, just listening to music[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]going from Samson sr850s to the Shures, and realising how much more depth music has, and how poorly it can reproduced by poor headphones.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]being able to focus on every intruments part all at the same time, and where they're placed. So soundstage, and separation. of course if the FR is rubbish it will ruin this effect.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]I don't think I have any Head-Fi cred, but I get really annoyed when people describe the wonderous things that recabling headphones can do. when as far as physics is concerned, there should be so little difference, that measuring equipment should struggle to see any difference whatsoever, let alone ears. [/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Buy you're music, on a physical format (I go cd over vinyl everytime) because physical media is so much more rewarding than downloads. Making time to listen to music and do nothing else is much more rewarding than using music as general noise while working etc.[/size][/size]

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #8 of 23
wow!  thanks, guys!  i had given up on this thread, so thanks for bumping it and thanks for taking the time...
fun stuff to read!

Jun 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 23
[size=medium]My only home rig:  Computer/Foobar2000 FLAC >>> Marantz Sr-53 Stereo receiver >>> Sennheiser HD558[/size]
[size=medium]                                                                                                                                 [/size]
[size=medium]It's most definitely my HD558s the only thing I "officially" own.[/size]

[size=medium]What is your favorite headphone (regardless of price)?  Why?[/size]
[size=medium]Definitely the Sennheiser HD430, they were Sennheiser's sub-flagship model around 1985 and they are up until now the best headphones I have ever listened to. They are considerably bright an very warm, lush, smooth and detailed.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]My dad, when he showed me how good headphones could sound with his HD430s.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]Where and when do you find yourself listening to headphones the most?[/size]
[size=small]Probably on public transit in the morning and in the afternoon, or all throughout the day at my desk.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]Well in headphone hifi, I would have to say when I took off my dad's headphones after he made and listened to the same song on my speakers. I was completely flabbergasted! They made my speakers actually sound bad, not just lesser, BAD!![/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]What is the “thing” you listen for most in headphones? (e.g. quality of bass, midrange, clarity)[/size]
[size=medium]Bass, detail and soundstaging, but the rest of the characteristics of sound are still very important to me.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]Share a Head-Fi confession.  Put your Head-Fi cred on the line and tell us something quirky and unique about your tastes, your rig, etc.[/size]
[size=medium]I'm 13 although it may show a bit in my posts.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]If you could share one piece of advice to a newbie getting into the hobby it would be this:[/size]
[size=medium]Buy what sounds best, not what is most budget friendly, you may regret it at first, but in the long run you will save more money than constantly upgrading. Also, listen to the headphone before buying, if you can.[/size]

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #10 of 23
[size=medium]Creative X-Fi Titanium HD -> Onkyo TX-SV515PRO -> Stax SRD-7/SB -> Stax SR-Lambda (Normal bias, rebuilt drivers)[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]Airy, ambient, atmospheric sound and comfort that lets me wear it for hours on end. The X-Fi Titanium HD also provides almost all the gaming DSP features I need, and thankfully, the drivers are more stable than the ones on older models.[/size]

[size=medium]I haven't been to a meet or sampled very many headphones in general, so the reference pool is small...but I preferred the TX-SV515PRO -> SRD-7/SB -> SR-Lambda setup to an SRM-212 -> SR-202 setup. I don't like the additional desk space taken up by the A/V receiver speaker amp + transformer box combo, but the sound is more than worth it since the SR-202 sounded a bit grainy and vocal-recessed by comparison. Also, I didn't like the added clamping force of the new headband/arc they introduced with the Nova series and kept using with the "numerical" series until the SR-507 (which is said to increase it even further).[/size]

[size=medium]Needless to say, I'm skeptical if I'd be truly pleased by any other Lambda-series model at this point. The SR-007 and SR-009 may bring further improvements, but I doubt they'll justify the extreme price premiums over a typical second-hand SR-Lambda.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]One day, I decided to look into headphones for gaming as opposed to the usual 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setups that my computer room was just not conducive to. My research eventually led me here to Head-Fi, and the rest is history.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]At home, whenever I'm relaxing on one of my desktop computers. I don't even have loudspeakers connected to my desktops, and I generally don't leave home except to go to work. It's not the kind of work where wearing headphones is permitted, either.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]Probably the time when I learned how to properly set up CMSS-3D Headphone on an X-Fi card, along with getting an Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 - the first headphone I had that was anywhere near hi-fi. What followed was a "Holy crap, this is like having an aural wallhack!" feeling. I could hear exactly where sounds were coming from, and I didn't need to be surrounded with loudspeakers to do it, either.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]Clarity (especially for vocals), soundstage/imaging, and the general sense of atmosphere, I suppose. Someone once said "With speakers, they're here. With headphones, you're there." I want to be there, "there" being "whatever's on screen at the moment".[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]I have Head-Fi cred now? (Well, I did write this PC gaming audio guide...)[/size]

[size=small]I will say that I'm not planning to spend more money on numerous other popular models of headphones and audio gear that I may or may not like in the end, because as it turns out, the SR-Lambda is the one for me. Just the right sound presentation and comfort (it just rests on my head instead of clamping), and it was my second "good" headphone after the AD700 at that. Most people go through lots of headphones and still haven't found the one for them, so I consider myself rather fortunate in that regard.[/size]

[size=small]Also, for such a hi-fi-oriented site, I listen to my fair share of lo-fi "chiptune" tracks. Nothing like listening to classic Amiga or SNES tunes on Stax, heh...[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]Finding the one isn't just about the ideal sound. A headphone may sound like the best thing ever, but if it's uncomfortable to wear, it's useless. Make sure it's something you can wear for hours on end without complaint.[/size]

Jun 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #11 of 23
Great idea! I had thought about starting something like this myself, but with different kinds of questions. Anyway, my answers: 

[size=medium][size=medium]Whatever is in my profile as my main, home rig. It is regularly changing. [/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]Aside from the next answer, my selection of digital components.  I've spent the week listening to budget gear and am amazed at how far digital components, even cheap ones, have progressed. However, going back to my main rig -- it is just magical in comparison.[/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]The Stax SR-009.  It has the amazing ability to sound better the quieter you listen. With high-quality acoustic music recordings it is other-wordly. You can hear the detail in the waves of sound reverberating off the walls of a concert hall and other crazy levels of detail. It also makes most dynamic headphones seem like a pretentious effort at music reproduction.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]My father had a good hi-fi system, parts of which I inherited. Though I had persuaded him to buy me a pair of Paradigm Atoms, he worked at home, used to go to bed early (8pm!) and didn't like hearing my music, AT ALL. So I said to him that he should buy me some good headphones. He was generous enough to buy me a pair of AU$175 MB Quarts, back in the early '90s! When the pads on that pair, after 15 or so years of use, went flat I registered on Head-Fi looking for something to replace them.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]At home in the evening after my daughter has gone to bed.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Listening to a Stax O2/717 rig using a vintage (and very rare) Nakamichi Dragon DAC. I knew immediately "This is it! This is what I want!".[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]I listen for what is wrong, because that is what I notice first. A great headphone doesn't seem wrong in any way, it just seems "right" in every way.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]I have the most insane playlists that can transverse everything from classical to psychedelic and rock from track to track. I don't find the transition so jarring if I like the tracks enough.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]This wasn't my idea originally, but when looking for headphones etc. see what people who listen to similar types of music like. Without having to do a whole Headphones 101, it is the simplest advice one can give.[/size]

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #12 of 23
[size=medium][size=medium]I'd say my current "reference rig." [/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]MacBook Pro ---> Onkyo DAC-1000 ---> HeadAmp KGSS ---> Stax SR-009[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]It's fairly transparent, so I use it to "cleanse my pallet" every so often. When you're a collector and like to sample many different types of headphones, I think this is crucial.[/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]TakeT H2+[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]It's delightfully bizarre, yet still quite competent which is a compelling combination. Also it satisfies many of my biggest listening priorities in a spectacular way quite unlike any other headphone. Plus it's almost "home made."[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Those pictures of anime girls wearing headphones.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]At home in the wee morning hours, preferably before or during sunrise.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
Getting my first Stax system.
[size=medium] [/size]
Whether they stir my soul.
But more seriously: first I listen for the general balance of frequency, getting a sense of how something is voiced overall. Then if something is immediately offensive, I listen more deeply for spatial properties (imaging, separation, soundstage, presentation) and then lastly detail level.
Non-offensive FR and spatial qualities are most important for me (minus soundstage which isn't that important at all for me).
[size=medium] [/size]
I like the Ultrasone Edition 10.
[size=medium] [/size]
Get your ears cleaned regularly.

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 23
Very cool concept! I like those "get-to-know" threads and I've haven't seen a "beginner's presentation" thread on Head-Fi yet. This will do!

What is the best rig you’ve assembled, past or present?
Answer: Although I seldom use it, technically it would be the Wolfson digital-to-analog converter inside my Galaxy S followed by either the headphone amplifier of my ADL GT40 or my Grado HPA-1. I haven't figured out which one of those two audiocubes was strictly-speaking the best yet, because they do different things and kind of complete each other. ADL GT40 is more extended (frequency response-wise), detailed and is completely silent, HPA-1 is more powerful, handles higher volumes a lot better and allows for low-level listening (smoother potentiometer), although it's not a silent device and the hiss becomes considerable with sensitive headphones.

What was your favorite thing about that rig?
Answer: Oops I kind of stepped into that question already. I like that it's super versatile. I can take out the HPA-1 and four recharged 9 volts which will last me 80 hours in total and I can listen to a turntable with the phonostage and record with the (fairly high quality) analog-to-digital converter of my GT40.

What is your favorite headphone (regardless of price)?  Why?
Answer: Fostex TH900, because it does everything right, nothing too wrong, and because it looks and feels the par, unlike every other current-production flagships (from the information I have gathered here). The price is really the reason why I'm torn and not buying it immediately. Silver flakes, platinum logo and Urushi lacquering is just too much I can offer myself... although I would have surely bought a sound quality equivalent Fostex AH-D9000 for 1300~1500 with just the cherry wood, instead of a Kotori 201.

Regardless of the portability/practicality: Stax SR-009, I love the form-for-function and the constant strife for perfection of Stax, although I would prefer it to have velour or come be able to choose vegan pads for it; regardless of look: TakeT H2+; regardless of sound: Koda^2; regardless of the comfort: Final Audio Design Pianoforte series.

Not-regardless of the price (or pretty anything other than it's open-back nature): Grado HP-1000 (the perfect compromise for me!)

What got you into headphones?
Answer: Always felt like listening to my music with headphones was more practical and less bothering to the nature and the people around me than with using speakers; and I'm myself bothered by others using speakers, so I protect myself with headphones :wink:. What got me into getting a better sound was that always knew I would listen to music all my life, so I wanted to take the jump and buy only one perfect (for me) headphone, cost not an objection, and make my life with it.

Where and when do you find yourself listening to headphones the most?
Answer: In front of my computer, on the internet, and while studying, at home. Although in the past I was drugged to doing solitary sports like biking (in the summer), snowboarding (in the winter) and taking walks outside with music on. Now I still do all of the following, but music-less, and less often.

Though I do still love to listen to music in different environment and I love to be nomad and look at various things while listening to a certain kind of music for a audio-visual experience.

What was your first WOW moment in headphone hi-fi?
Answer: When I first got my SR100 with HP-1000 drivers in it, listened to it, unimpressed, and then cycled though all of the headphones I owned (took me like a week), to finally return with the SR100, put a good song, and suddenly have a tear or two coming out of my eyes. The HP-1000 drivers never ceased to impress me and give me WOW moments ever since. It's an incredible headphone. Not only it's uber-detailed and full sounding --during my big "WOW moment" the word that clearly stroke my mind was "shine", I felt like it was shining music through me, organically (not like a vision or anything divine)--, it has a special and maybe unique ability to induce orgasms with loud (an album) to super-loud (a song) music, and make it feel realistic and HUGE (with the HD414-bowls sandwich distancing pads that I use that enables [makes tolerable; with bowls I guess it's too "shouty"] such volumes); with live music it's "like if you were there". I know Grados in general are said to have that effect, but I think that for the HP-1000 it's on an another level completely.

What is the “thing” you listen for most in headphones? (e.g. quality of bass, midrange, clarity)
Answer: The usual; resolution, clarity, speed and decay. Theoretical infinite extension, but no emphasis whatsoever on it: tight bass, controlled highs and the midrange is what matters the most. I don't care for soundstage and imaging much, but I admit I have trouble perceiving it.

Share a Head-Fi confession.  Put your Head-Fi cred on the line and tell us something quirky and unique about your tastes, your rig, etc.
Answer: I'm not that much into sound quality (pretty much less than all of you basically :wink:. I think that there are things about a headphone that transcends its sound quality in terms of importance/owner's priority, at least for me. I'm more into the look, the built quality (materials used, long term durability), functionality (comfort, driveability, non-fatiguing sound, musical genres affinity) and overall balance, than strict quantitative sound quality fluid. Good mid-fi sounds great to me, and is totally respectable.

More and foremost I like to own rarer and obscure headphones, a bit like a collector, although, in order not to invest indefinite amounts of money and time on the internet, I decidedly restricted myself to Grado's world... which brand I picked (a risky decision I did light-headed on my first week on Head-Fi) mostly for the look of their headphones, and the fact that they're not too common where I come from. I think I'm super lucky that Grado's best headphone is a tremendous sounding one, and that I also found out that I prefer the comfort of foam over both pleather and velour (never tried real leather yet). Like MuppetFace I do care a lot for my collection, keep the headphones well organized in their boxes, but I also listen to them a lot!

^ Not a huge confession ^, some Head-Fiers in the Grado threads knows it already, and if you figure out my headphones list you'll notice I own almost nothing but Grados (and I also use a Grado cMoy, lol), so I hope that I look a bit like a purist to you :wink:.

More like a sacrilege: I use my vintage RS1 with bowls, and my HP-1000 with HD414-bowls sandwiches; my flats are in the drawer. Lol

If you could share one piece of advice to a newbie getting into the hobby it would be this:
Answer: Sure. Unfortunately buying a headphone and an amplifier on Head-Fi is, as exciting and fun it gets in the end, a rather complicated mental process (the choice of a brand, and of model), and can become a very complicated and stressful decision to take (unless you're rich, or --like me-- a cheapskate/no-lifer, or ForSale forums hardcore user) when you have no way of demoing the gear in question. Be patient before buying anything (this applies to everything, not just headphones). Read everything you can about a product, and about the people who makes reviews for it. Also read you're own mood/pulse of the moment and wait a least 3 to 5 days before making the purchase (I try to wait more than one week).

Also seek for a headphone first. Find a brand and a headphone that you love, and only then, start building a rig around it. Some failing Head-Fiers/"audiophiles" have quite the place with bitterness telling us that amplifiers didn't make that much of a difference, even less an external DAC (over, say, a recent laptop's on-board audio), the source (mp3, flac...), and finally the cables/accessories. I can't help but to agree with them. Most of the time when you're listening to music, remember that it's not about doing critical and discerning assessment about a medium, or trying to figure out whether it's a good 128 or bad 320 kbps/mp3 you have, but that you're trying to have a good time listening to an artist's album/song.

Last piece of advice: If you don't want to deal with upgradeitis, get yourself a flagship already (or the company's best offering; sometimes it's not their most expensive one, like weird Ultrasone). Work hard, save your money... spending more than 1000$ dollars on a silly headphone, sometimes that has a lot of plastic in its construction, is hard to conceive at first. Tell yourself that you're buying a trusty little wearable companion for life. Usually, those things are the result of many years of efforts, and the culmination of many events; in a way, it is the highest tower one competitive company could build by stacking only the best aspects of all of their preceding trials at being the best. Although some petty and diverging Head-Fiers might have a preference for the lower models, a flagship is intended by the company to be their best headphone, and also their biggest achievement (most of the time)... It is not something like you might have bought in the past: a computer that slowly "looses" its ability to run the latest programs and games on highest settings (due to the pace at which they evolved), nor it is an iPod that looses its hype over time and made in China. It's well made (not supposed to break, assuming you care for it; and can be serviced), it doesn't loose much of its value over time, and it defeats the purpose of owning many inferior headphones of the same type/companies (although some people enjoys the diversity of having complementary lesser headphones, to some extent), or it gives you a reference point to compare them with. Also, the curve of diminishing return is there to protect you; if the company ever releases a better model, you can be sure it will cost twice as much and be like, only 2% better. Finally, it feels so much better to own, put on a stand and show/give-listens to friends and family, than a bunch of random, sometimes relatively poor sounding, plastic headphones in a bin/bag with chords all tangled up.

This is last tip only to those who doesn't have that strong constitution to resist the infamous wallet-emptying Head-Fi disease. I'm saying so because I know that as long as you will stay on Head-Fi you will slowly make your way to the top, and I want to propose to you the most direct route. To those, kind of exceptional Head-Fiers, I'm always humbled to see a die-hard PortaPro or Superlux lover that has remained on Head-Fi for long, not caring for upgrading, nor wanting to, and choosing to take more time to appreciate the music behind the gear.

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 23
Cool idea for a thread. Why not:

[COLOR=800000]What is the best rig you’ve assembled, past or present?[/COLOR]
My present setup - sources -> Koss E/90 -> Koss ESP/950

[COLOR=800000]What was your favorite thing about that rig?[/COLOR]
I like all of the components in it, both aesthetically and functionally, and it sounds good to me. It puts a smile on my face whenever I use it. The CD player is actually something I remember seeing in a vintage catalog years ago and thinking "wow, I want one" without knowing anything about it - I happened to find one recently and apart from looking very dapper, the sound is *fantastic.*

[COLOR=800000]What is your favorite headphone (regardless of price)?  Why?[/COLOR]
Sony MDR-F1. They look like things you'd see in sci-fi movies from the 1990s (even the packaging does), and even if they're playing "angry" music they sound happy and light - they just do nothing wrong and are impossible to not get along with. And they're immensely comfortable. Very much a millenium era product, and always fun to come back to - they're no slouches in terms of performance either!

[COLOR=800000]What got you into headphones?[/COLOR]
Needed something to spare my flatmates listening to the speakers.

[COLOR=800000]Where and when do you find yourself listening to headphones the most?[/COLOR]
At home, at night. I have IEMs for taking on the train in the morning, but since getting Etyplugs I find that I use those more than actual music; so yeah.

[COLOR=800000]What was your first WOW moment in headphone hi-fi?[/COLOR]
Koss ESP/10s - absolutely sold me on the idea of "more." I also like that they're the "underdog" and feel very much hand/cottagemade compared to the very industrial feeling of many other headphones. And the E/10 looks absolutely cool (shame mine doesn't work right).

[COLOR=800000]What is the “thing” you listen for most in headphones? (e.g. quality of bass, midrange, clarity)[/COLOR]
PRaT. It's gotta swing. I don't care if they have tons of bass or are relatively thin, if they're spacious or intimate, or if they're even super detailed or not - they just gotta have some emotion (and it doesn't even have to be the SAME emotion).

[COLOR=800000]Share a Head-Fi confession.  Put your Head-Fi cred on the line and tell us something quirky and unique about your tastes, your rig, etc.[/COLOR]
I actually like and positively regard Bose products (although most of them are fairly "dead" (see above) imho).

[COLOR=800000]If you could share one piece of advice to a newbie getting into the hobby it would be this:[/COLOR]
Don't get too wrapped in the hype that surrounds many products, or the back-and-forth arguments about graphs and numbers. Find something you like, and enjoy it. If you can use measurements to help with that, that's great, but if not, that's fine too!

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

[size=small]My guitar rig[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]It's real music not a reproduction[/size]

[size=small]AKG K701. While it is not perfect, I like the pretty white color.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]Cnet[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]My room in the darkest hours of twilight[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]When I plugged an AKG K501 into a crappy reciever. It was flawed in sound but I got the idea.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]Overall balance in the soundscape.[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]Hi fi does not represent the real thing in certain ways. In the real world,  music can be with flaws in the balance of sound. A good rig can help correct that but on the other hand, real music can have certain wonderful sonics that no rig can ever achieve.  There is nothing quirky about my taste because I believe it is logical. [/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=small]Go out and experience life. Travel as much as you can and order foods on the menu that you never tried because that way, you will encounter more revelations. While a good rig is important, life experiences are more memorable.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back