-=Germania=-'s Audio Technica ESW9 Mod(s)
Aug 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #46 of 61
I'd like to bump this real quick. I did this mod to my ESW9a's, and noticed a HUGE improvement of bass and soundstage. Really would recommend this mod!

iPhone 4S > LOD Cable > BlackCat SilverKey Amp > ATH-ESW9a

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #47 of 61
I didn't do the full mod, but just removed the yellow cotton from behind the driver...got a dramatic increase in SS and bass also.  

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #48 of 61
Quote:
I didn't do the full mod, but just removed the yellow cotton from behind the driver...got a dramatic increase in SS and bass also.  

Hey, do you have any pictures of your recabled ESW9's? Been looking to recable mine, just kinda undecided on which cable I'd like to go with. I've been thinking about the Moon Audio Silver v2, but still not 100% sure.

May 18, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #49 of 61
Wow just stumbled upon this thread!
I going to mod this baby and post pics/impressions soon :)

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #50 of 61

Hello I know I am bumping an old thread.
I have done same except put a thin layer of cork wich made just a slight more mids than empty wood alone,
As I awaited the foam to do the full mod.
I have just finished the full mod with foam alone.
Has anyone done the full mod?
The instructions were slightly confusing with more layers described than was actually shown so I just did the layers shown (4 layers)...

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #51 of 61
Ok sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have a few headphones for a proper frame of reference in hearing the Audio Technica sound.
I have:
w3000anv
Esw9
Esw10
Esw11
Es700
Had:
Es10
Es7
Ws99
W1000x
And a few others.

I know how they all sound now.
This mod does not make an esw9 EVER sound like an esw10 BUT IT WILL:
Give you:
Larger sounstage
More extendid trebles
More detail and euphoric mids.
Thats it!
The "voicing" of the driver coil will always be sweet and laid back no matter what you do in tonality.

That is all I have to say here.
Will make another thread on best tunning for an esw9,
and yet another thread to really come close to an es10 in sound!
(Hint: NOT using the esw9 drivers)
:)

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #52 of 61

Any change in euphonics and details? Or just bass and SS?

And does doing this mod warrant getting an amp? I'd like to go directly to a phone.

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #53 of 61
The sensitivity remains unaffected.

Do one cup at a time to compare to "stock" side.

Do not leave out felt without putting something in, or you will suck out the mids and have bloated bass..

Using foam in any manner or shape will increase soundstage somewhat.

Just make a circle with a hole in middle..

All those shapes in beginning thread I tried and made NO DIFFERENCE.
THE ONLY MAIN DIFFERENCE IS IN THE AMOUNT OF FOAM USED.

I used a combination of foam rings and half original felt to retain the euphoric mids.

Remember to compare mod side to stock side.
DO NOT mod both sides at same time or you will lose your frame of reference to compare differences..

Good luck!

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #54 of 61
I'm not sure if I'm the only one wgo isn't clear about this, but are the blue and red markings in the diagrams the parts of the foam circle that are supposed to be cut away, leaving the black area behind, or vice versa?

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #56 of 61
BUMP

Just did this mod to the ESW-990H, with slight variations from original instructions.

I used a solid base layer with a 4 port second layer. I find with the 5mm foam I used, having 3 layers actually squished them so much that the 4 channels on layer 2 became squished in and it wasn't going to pass any sound through.

I used precut perforated sticky EVA foam. I was able to get bunch of them for a cheap price. Center hole was cut using a small curved chisel I had laying around.

After doing the mod, I definitely noticed the trembling of the headphones. The older filling inside really dampen everything. The new smaller foam gave space for sound to resonate within the headphones.

The bass is certainly stronger, I tried 2 channel vs 4 channels and the 2 channels has too much bass bloat. I'm still not used to 4 channels yet as the bass still a little bit much for my taste, but good thing is the bass doesn't really eat into the lower mids. 4 channels also has bigger soundstage vs 2 channels. The highs are clearer, the resonating really helps as the 4 channels direct sound to the surrounding area of the headphones to really take advantage of the timbre of the wood. They're definitely more fatiguing now with so much more sound attacking my ears vs before, maybe I'm just not used to them yet. A better way to put it is that these headphones now has so much more character. Good thing is the mod is reversible in case I want to tone it down a bit.
IMG_2166.JPG IMG_9149.JPG

Sep 7, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #57 of 61
The patterns mentioned mean nothing...
it is just there to scam.
The layering and materials is the key.

Less damped equals more bass.
You have to try your own methods to strike a balanced for your own ears.

I said it before and I say it again,
Yes you can change the sound to your liking ,.but NO you will never get an esw10jpn sound.

I owned the esw9 & esw10jpn, along with the newer esw9Ltd and others like esw11 & es10 & es700 & es7...

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #58 of 61
The patterns mentioned mean nothing...
it is just there to scam.
The layering and materials is the key.

Less damped equals more bass.
You have to try your own methods to strike a balanced for your own ears.

I said it before and I say it again,
Yes you can change the sound to your liking ,.but NO you will never get an esw10jpn sound.

I owned the esw9 & esw10jpn, along with the newer esw9Ltd and others like esw11 & es10 & es700 & es7...
Thank you for your advice. Do you have any recommendations on tightening the bass? I'm wonder what steps should I use in layering or adding more materials to achieve that. Thanks in advance.

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #59 of 61
Well, guys......

Can this mod be done to audio technica m50x.

Removal of stock foam from vent. Then doing this mod. Cutting foam disc, then making 4 channel, and covering it with foam circle.

Well ath m50x is made up of aluminium, and all you guys are tuning to wood. So i just asked.

Well i got to know that audio technica ath m50x stock is better than esw10 stock, in term of specs and studio use.

But issue with m50x is that they are just to close to my head in sounding. Well No soundstage at all in some songs. And a little boomy bass and conservative treble.

Well its like etymotic er4s with some bass boost in form of headphones.

So will this mod improve the sound

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #60 of 61
Well esw 9 cant get the sojnd of sound of esw10 as specs matter. Esw10 decay are quicker and PRaT(pace, rhythm and timing) is superior which depends on driver and not tuning. Well SQ of esw9 was same to esw10 when modded, but it is little boomy and sweet whereas esw10 is faster and sharper in accuracy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back