-=Germania=-'s Audio Technica ESW9 Mod(s)
Apr 28, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #31 of 61
Its not as big as a CD3k - That is difficult for even open headphones!

It is probably closer to a D2000. Please let me revise that.

As far as Bass goes.....

The stock ESW9 cannot compete with a stock ESW10 in detail, soundstage, etc. That is a tested certainty.
The stock ESW10 just simply cannot reach down as low as the original mod ESW9. It has been tested by auditioners in Detriot. The soundstage on the modded ESW9 was also much bigger. Where the ESW10 beat the original modded ESW9 was in it still being more neutral and having more treble sparkle. The modded/recabled ESW9 had the same if not extremely close level of detail to many people's ears. That is why the Mod was changed to try and get the best of both worlds. It still isn't perfect, but I doubt that there is such a thing as a perfect headphone, much less a portable one.

The point is that the updated mod makes it more closely resemble an ESW10, only with smoother treble, more extended bass, and larger soundstage. It sounds less like you are listening to headphones than the stock ESW10. That is the point of using the wood, just sounds more natural.

What I have been wanting to do is get more detail out of these and I have decided it just isn't really possible. I even tried using UPOCC silver and UPOCC copper. It actually performed better with a high quality SPC in teflon. Didn't like thicker wires (22AWG), only liked smaller ones. I highly reccomend doing an SPC recable for these. It is cheap, easy to do yourself, and just as effective as the expensive ones in this case.

Still I prefer my IEM's, but they don't keep your ears warm do they?

Though I would love to get a busted set of ESW10's to experiment with.

May 28, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #32 of 61
What would you do with a pair of ESW10s? Could you just buy a used pair so I can figure out how to mod mine?
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #33 of 61
Well, someone would need to be willing to donate a pair for me to experiment on.

I would be willing to do a half price mobi cable for someone who would and give me a few weeks to try differnet mods. They would, of course, get the modded one.

Unless someone wants to trade my Active ground Millett with PSU for one (condition does not matter).

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #34 of 61
hey germania, after reading this thread i've started thinking ways to improve the soundstage on my beloved ES7. I know u have said that this mod on ESW9 relies on its wooden cups, but is there any other ways to achieve similar goals on ES7 which has plastic cups?
Also, what are the function and effects of the splits between the layers?
And finally, is dynamat not useful for ESW9 and ES7?

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #35 of 61
I wonder if I could get more bass out of my esw10

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #36 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, someone would need to be willing to donate a pair for me to experiment on.

I would be willing to do a half price mobi cable for someone who would and give me a few weeks to try differnet mods. They would, of course, get the modded one.

Unless someone wants to trade my Active ground Millett with PSU for one (condition does not matter).

If I buy the 10's I've borrowed later on, I might take you up on this. I'm finding them a bit harsh, which I'm hoping a re-cable might rectify.

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #37 of 61
I'll let you borrow mine for experimentation (don't hurt them!
wink.gif
) if Curra decides not to.

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #39 of 61
The mods do make a big difference to the sound and in my opinion to the better and I know the mods on mine are done properly as it is one of Germanias previous phones

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #40 of 61
Any other experiences or suggestions on this mod? I'm considering trying it, but was wondering how many people tried this and if they liked the changes long-term. Also, if anyone has any further tweaks or suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

I'm hoping for a bigger sound stage and more extended upper mids/highs.

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #43 of 61
I know this is an old thread but needed to share my experience with all.

I just perform the Germania Mod on my ESW9 ( took me about 20 min) that consist of removing the yellow dampening pad and replacing with some UVA foam pad with some cutting on the pad to simulate ports like a speaker and what a difference it make. The soundstage got larger and more dimensional. I have now the full spectrum of frequency with clear hight and very nice mids a bit forward and a nice layered and control deep bass. I listened to jazz, prog rock, alternative Rock and classical with vocal (Andrea Bocelli with Christina Aguilera) and the new mod ESW9 was excellent with all style. And that is whit the stock flimsee cable. I'm waiting for a used TWag cable this week and that should be the cherry on top with some sparkle in the hight and a bit more speed but even the way they are now I'm 110% satisfy. The mod is very easy to do. Highly recommended. :D

Jun 13, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #44 of 61
Old thread i know, but i'm new around here.. I'd really LOVE to try this mod, but there's just a couple of things making it a bit hard..
Does anyone have pics/video of them doing the mod? My english isn't great, and all that "trace a quarter" and such, is a bit hard when you have absolutely no idea how big a quarter is?!.. So i was wondering if anyone who did this mod, could maybe give me a little advice here? Or just some pics of the innards of the modded ASW9? Because tbh those drawings doesn't make a hole lot of sense to me..

Would greatly appreciate any help!

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #45 of 61
Did Germania make a arithmetic counting the layers needed for the updated mod? I'm planning on giving this mod a try as soon as my recabled esw9 return, yet I'm still wondering where the 6th piece of foam goes. He mentions that one isn't pieced, 2 are cut in quarters and 2 are cut in halves, so what to do with the sixth layer???

Edit: I'd also like to know if anyone else has tried this mod, and, if so, what are their impressions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back